Christopher Nkunku to Chelsea | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
At the end of the day, it mainly comes down to resources. PL teams have ridiculous quality lower down the division that simply didn’t exist 15 years ago. Many of the teams don’t use their money as intelligently as continental counterparts, but even teams down in 17th have line ups full of internationals. Then you add on top of that the rather mental schedule that the English game has, and it just makes it all that much more intense and competitive. It’s very rare that a player comes from the BL to the PL and thrives in the same way. They most commonly struggle. It’s been seen time and time again, to the point that it is the rule rather than the exception.

Doesn’t mean there aren’t excellent players to be had, but I would never pay a massive fee for a player from the BL based on his data sets, without accommodating a 30-40% downward adjustment. The odd generational talent aside.

I’d buy good up and coming players from there at a reasonable fee, or high quality free agents, but as soon as someone is quoting 70-80M+ for a BL player, I’d steer miles clear in terms of likely value for money.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I can see the logic for Chelsea in that he plays in a similar system at RBL and has shown the ability to score goals, which basically none of Chelsea's attackers can do on a consistent basis.

If he does go there, it definitely feels like Chelsea need to sell in that area, its just too many players for three attacking roles. But I don't know who they can shift given the wages of some of those players and not a lot of clubs having much money (outside the PL).

Werner, Lukaku, Mount, Havertz, Nkunku, Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO would be eight players for three positions.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can see the logic for Chelsea in that he plays in a similar system at RBL and has shown the ability to score goals, which basically none of Chelsea's attackers can do on a consistent basis.

If he does go there, it definitely feels like Chelsea need to sell in that area, its just too many players for three attacking roles. But I don't know who they can shift given the wages of some of those players and not a lot of clubs having much money (outside the PL).

Werner, Lukaku, Mount, Havertz, Nkunku, Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO would be eight players for three positions.
It's wishful thinking on my part to be fair. There haven't been any strong links to Chelsea.

There is a market for Pulisic and Werner though. Ten Hag might be interested in Ziyech?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
It's wishful thinking on my part to be fair. There haven't been any strong links to Chelsea.

There is a market for Pulisic and Werner though. Ten Hag might be interested in Ziyech?
Pulisic feels like the one that could be sold most easily given age/wages and makes the most sense to sell in a footballing sense. But do you think the Boehly group would want to sell the US golden boy so soon after buying the club? They seem like owners smart enough to let the footballing people make the football-related decisions in general, but this might be the exception.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Pulisic feels like the one that could be sold most easily given age/wages and makes the most sense to sell in a footballing sense. But do you think the Boehly group would want to sell the US golden boy so soon after buying the club? They seem like owners smart enough to let the footballing people make the football-related decisions in general, but this might be the exception.
Good point about the commercial value Pulisic holds in the US. It's hard to know, but the fact is Pulisic has been a let down given the money spent. He also seems be not entirely happy with his status within the squad, so there's a good chance he wants to leave anyway.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’d much rather have Dembele. Free transfer so less of a risk.
According to his wage demands (not sure how true in fairness), the transfer will be anything but free. The money just goes to the player/the agent, as opposed to the club. But yeah, still way below “market value” in most of these Bosman cases

poleglass red

honestly haven't seen him a lot, maybe 4 games in total, so very small sample size. He hasn't impressed me at all in those games, but I think we need to trust our manager to buy players that will fit his system, instead of always looking for the biggest name. If he thinks a player such as this will fit into the style he wants to implement, then go for it. I feel this connection is more Rangnick though, what influence or role he will play moving forward remains to be seen.

bosskeano

With Madrid missing out on Mbappe, i could definitely see them making a play for him. Chelsea doesn't really have room for him on their forward line without selling a player so i don't expect him to go there

United should definitely make a move for him and see what can happen as we badly need help on our front line.

pascell

With Madrid missing out on Mbappe, i could definitely see them making a play for him. Chelsea doesn't really have room for him on their forward line without selling a player so i don't expect him to go there

United should definitely make a move for him and see what can happen as we badly need help on our front line.
Chelsea have plenty of room, they'll bin off Werner, Ziyech and Lukaku if they can. Pulisic hasn't progressed much either.

bosskeano

Chelsea have plenty of room, they'll bin off Werner, Ziyech and Lukaku if they can. Pulisic hasn't progressed much either.
You mean Chelsea will have plenty of room......issue is finding someone to pay for Werner and Lukaku. Ziyech they can sell but won't recoup the money spent to Ajax arguably the same for Pulisic.

By the time they find suitors for those guys i suspect Nkunku will have been solid IF of course Red Bull are willing to sell him

redcucumber

As you said, if they can. Who on earth will want any of them? Werner and Lukaku I imagine are on serious money that they'll struggle to get outside of England. Maybe Newcastle will save their hides? Outside of that, I reckon Chelsea are a bit stuck.

Hughie77

Hes recommended by RR buy what I've read, but UTD will be linked by every fecker from now till Window closes. ETH hopefully will get his targets if not its go with what we got, I can see 4 coming in at least . 1 CB 1 RB 1CM 1CF.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is going to be very expensive. We shouldn't go for him this summer.

Giggsy13

This is a move for next summer assuming we secure champions league football. I think for now we should focus our efforts on Dembele.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leipzig have state so often that they won't sell him that I'd be surprised if they let him go for an amount another club would be willing to pay.

Boavista

As you said, if they can. Who on earth will want any of them? Werner and Lukaku I imagine are on serious money that they'll struggle to get outside of England. Maybe Newcastle will save their hides? Outside of that, I reckon Chelsea are a bit stuck.
I've already seen stories of Lukaku wanting to move back to Italy, but his wage is too high because for some reason that Italian tax incentive for foreigners can't be applied to him after only having been away for a year or so. But maybe he's too proud for his role at Chelsea anyway that he might consider lower offers, who knows..

Werner I can't imagine will be on ludicrous wages. He probably earned a decent amount at Leipzig, but probably nothing too excessive. And there weren't that many teams competing for his signature at the time, partially due to his transfer fee. I reckon if Chelsea want to sell him, wages won't be the issue. But I'm not sure where he could go, so I think he'll stay

redcucumber

I've already seen stories of Lukaku wanting to move back to Italy, but his wage is too high because for some reason that Italian tax incentive for foreigners can't be applied to him after only having been away for a year or so. But maybe he's too proud for his role at Chelsea anyway that he might consider lower offers, who knows..

Werner I can't imagine will be on ludicrous wages. He probably earned a decent amount at Leipzig, but probably nothing too excessive. And there weren't that many teams competing for his signature at the time, partially due to his transfer fee. I reckon if Chelsea want to sell him, wages won't be the issue. But I'm not sure where he could go, so I think he'll stay
Werner is on almost 300k a week! Definitely excessive and they'll have a tough time convincing him a move elsewhere (and the pay cut that goes with that) is in his best interests.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
This is a move for next summer assuming we secure champions league football. I think for now we should focus our efforts on Dembele.
What Dembe who? A player whom has reportedly had issues with injuries and attitude over the course of his Barca career, we have a lot of those at United I won't touch him even on a free.

Sir Erik ten Hag

What Dembe who? A player whom has reportedly had issues with injuries and attitude over the course of his Barca career, we have a lot of those at United I won't touch him even on a free.
Dembele seems to have turned things around this season under Xavi's leadership. Robben suffered the same label as injury-prone and bottler in Final at Chelsea and Real too. It didn't stop him from becoming a machine at Bayern Munich. Dembele is still pretty young (25 years old) and should be entering his prime soon if whatever club he joins has competent medical staffs and fitness coaches.

There is no sure-fire transfer in this day and age. If you want to take a player of Dembele's calibre (When he is in top form) for free, you always have to take risk. Bayern took risk with Robben and they flourished. Even Manchester United took risk with Van Nistelrooy after his injury and look how that turned out.

Reactions: SilentWitness

NoPace

I think a market will always materialize for a left-footed RW because they're hard to find.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think a market will always materialize for a left-footed RW because they're hard to find.
Yeah Ziyech in particular only cost around 30m so if Chelsea really want to sell him it shouldn't be too hard to recoup most, if not all, of the fee we initial paid.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
If Mane is off in the summer this feels like a very Liverpool signing. Could play anywhere in their front 3.

Boavista

Werner is on almost 300k a week! Definitely excessive and they'll have a tough time convincing him a move elsewhere (and the pay cut that goes with that) is in his best interests.
Oh ok if he's really on 300k that will be difficult.

But even disregarding his wages, I don't really see too many teams close to Chelsea's level going for him this summer, even if overall I think there should be plenty of teams interested if they could afford him.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Oh ok if he's really on 300k that will be difficult.

But even disregarding his wages, I don't really see too many teams close to Chelsea's level going for him this summer, even if overall I think there should be plenty of teams interested if they could afford him.
Sadly, he is. He's Chelsea's 3rd highest earner after Lukaku and Kante. He's on around 270k a week.

Boavista

Sadly, he is. He's Chelsea's 3rd highest earner after Lukaku and Kante. He's on around 270k a week.
How did his agent pull that off?

As far as I know there wasn't really much competition for his signature, apart from Liverpool maybe?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
How did his agent pull that off?

As far as I know there wasn't really much competition for his signature, apart from Liverpool maybe?
Chelsea may have been a bit desperate that summer. It was the first window after the transfer ban. But yeah, a bit of a head scratcher that one.

NoPace

Yeah Ziyech in particular only cost around 30m so if Chelsea really want to sell him it shouldn't be too hard to recoup most, if not all, of the fee we initial paid.
Yeah. 30M is simply too much for a 29 year old winger, but like if you're Leicester and you've had terrible RW play since Mahrez left, and if the salary figures are true he'd be just short of what Maddison, Vardy and Schmeichel make, so it wouldn't disrupt your wages, spending 25M or so on him is no crazier than spending 18M on a 28 year old CB in Vestergaard who's not the same player.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Dembele seems to have turned things around this season under Xavi's leadership. Robben suffered the same label as injury-prone and bottler in Final at Chelsea and Real too. It didn't stop him from becoming a machine at Bayern Munich. Dembele is still pretty young (25 years old) and should be entering his prime soon if whatever club he joins has competent medical staffs and fitness coaches.

There is no sure-fire transfer in this day and age. If you want to take a player of Dembele's calibre (When he is in top form) for free, you always have to take risk. Bayern took risk with Robben and they flourished. Even Manchester United took risk with Van Nistelrooy after his injury and look how that turned out.
Or he's just playing for a big contract with all his injury problems the past few seasons.

He wants a big contract, has injury issues and has a history of not being properly motivated. That's 3 big strikes, we aren't in a 2 team league like Bayern or are well run like we were under Sir Alex. We can't afford to gamble on someone like Dembele.

Status
Not open for further replies.