Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Of course, starring Cillian Murphy :lol:

Does any other director have such clear favorites? Seems like he has made it a rule that at least one of Murphy, Tom Hardy and Michael Caine has to be in his movies.
Murphy's a pretty damn good actor though. Would actually like to see him in more major films, his talent certainly deserves it.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

Does any other director have such clear favorites? Seems like he has made it a rule that at least one of Murphy, Tom Hardy and Michael Caine has to be in his movies.
Scorsese and 1 of de Niro or di Caprio.

marktan

That's some cast list. Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Florence Pugh love triangle.. yes please :drool:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Quite a few directors do this - Tarantino and Scorsese as has already been pointed out, Wes Anderson, Tim Burton, the Coen Brothers. Probably Woody Allen to an extent too. I'm sure that there are others if you dig a bit, and it makes perfect sense that a director would want to work with actors over and over again really.

Very happy to see Cillian Murphy get a lead role, he's incredibly talented. Curious to see what this film will look like, doesn't seem too conceptual so it might prevent Nolan for going too far down the ridiculousness road like he did in Tenet. God that was bad.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Quite a few directors do this - Tarantino and Scorsese as has already been pointed out, Wes Anderson, Tim Burton, the Coen Brothers. Probably Woody Allen to an extent too. I'm sure that there are others if you dig a bit, and it makes perfect sense that a director would want to work with actors over and over again really.

Very happy to see Cillian Murphy get a lead role, he's incredibly talented. Curious to see what this film will look like, doesn't seem too conceptual so it might prevent Nolan for going too far down the ridiculousness road like he did in Tenet. God that was bad.
Cillian Murphy plays Oppenheimer, a man with an inside out brain. He sees and hears life completely opposite to reality. Now he has been tasked by the Americans to build a device that stops Washington from blowing up, because in Oppenheimer's world everything blows up to prevent from it being destroyed. But, because he hears everything in opposite, he thinks they've asked him not to build something that won't stop America from not blowing up. Or does he? What is true and what is a lie? What is not true and what is not a lie? Have the Axis powers built a device that opposites Oppenheimer's oppositeness? Or, more importantly, haven't they?

Opp-osite-Heimer. Not coming 3202.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Cillian Murphy plays Oppenheimer, a man with an inside out brain. He sees and hears life completely opposite to reality. Now he has been tasked by the Americans to build a device that stops Washington from blowing up, because in Oppenheimer's world everything blows up to prevent from it being destroyed. But, because he hears everything in opposite, he thinks they've asked him not to build something that won't stop America from not blowing up. Or does he? What is true and what is a lie? What is not true and what is not a lie? Have the Axis powers built a device that opposites Oppenheimer's oppositeness? Or, more importantly, haven't they?

:lol:

Rooney in Paris

Scout

Please don't send these notes to Nolan, he'll probably run with it.
Can't wait to see how Nolan manages to shoehorn Michael Caine into this.
He plays the bomb. And delivers great advice to Cillian Murphy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Michael Caine (or is it Caine Michael?) plays Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer. Featuring Kenneth Branagh as Michael Caine.

Green_Red

Not Nolans finest work by a long way but people are so hard on that movie and I don't get why.
The trailer makes it look like an epic movie. At 2:00 of the trailer Brannagh says "You can practically see it from here", I think he meant watching the trailer is as good as watching the movie.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The trailer makes it look like an epic movie. At 2:00 of the trailer Brannagh says "You can practically see it from here", I think he meant watching the trailer is as good as watching the movie.

I think the only mistake Nolan made with the film is not utilising CGI to make the whole scene on the beach and sea busier. An admirable stance in some ways but it left the whole thing feeling empty. I still really like the movie though.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Not Nolans finest work by a long way but people are so hard on that movie and I don't get why.
It's not his worst (Tenet is, by far), but it's a bit boring and considering the material at hand and the cast, I think people had higher expectations than a dull film that in no way gave any sense of the scale of those events, and felt more like a side project in sound editing than an engaging cinematic experience.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It's not his worst (Tenet is, by far), but it's a bit boring and considering the material at hand and the cast, I think people had higher expectations than a dull film that in no way gave any sense of the scale of those events, and felt more like a side project in sound editing than an engaging cinematic experience.
It's his second worse film I wont argue but what I do appreciate about it is the structure of the film, the cinematography, the colour palette and sound design. I just said in my previous post that it was the sense of scale that let it down. Saying that, I still enjoyed it and have watched it a couple of times since and still enjoyed.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Looking forward to this. The subject matter is obviously incredibly interesting. I finished reading a book the other week called The Making of The Atomic Bomb. Incredible book, if maybe a little too exhaustive. Basically goes back to the early days of nuclear physics and the people at the forefront of that, right up until the dropping of the bombs. Fascinating stuff.

As for Dunkirk, that film is incredible and the sound design alone is phenomenal. For me, it is undoubtedly his best achievement and was quite the experience at the cinema. It's probably not my favourite film of his in terms of one that I can go back to time after time (that would be The Prestige), but it is without a doubt an excellent piece of filmmaking.

NoLogo

Can't wait. Much as I love Nolans work, he needs to fecking redeem himself after that pile of sh*te Tenet.
I hope he gets a grip on his sound mixing, Tenet was actually the first film ever I considered walking out of because I either couldn't hear shite or felt like I was going deaf any second and often enough both at once.

buchansleftleg

[Scene: Exterior, New Mexico testing grounds. A bunker is filled with tense scientists and military leaders, a timers is running down.....Five.....Four.....Three... TWO...ONE [Blinding light streams through a small opening and a moment later a huge explosion is heard.

The dust settles...

A toilet flushes....

A British General acting as Military Liason emerges from the WC and looks at the scene of devastation.

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
[Scene: Exterior, New Mexico testing grounds. A bunker is filled with tense scientists and military leaders, a timers is running down.....Five.....Four.....Three... TWO...ONE [Blinding light streams through a small opening and a moment later a huge explosion is heard.

The dust settles...

A toilet flushes....

A British General acting as Military Liason emerges from the WC and looks at the scene of devastation.

"You were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"
:lol:

Suv666

I wonder if Nolan will dive into the the red scare and explore Oppenheimer's pariah status

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship

Some directors prefer to work with people they have history with, makes the whole process much easier.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Oppenheimer was wrongly believed to have schizophrenia so Nolan will delicately imply that he experienced moments of mania by having the entire cast replaced BY EWOKS, but they're not normal Ewoks they're Ewoks that can bend time and space by clicking their feet together and spiders lots and lots of spiders that, once eaten by the Ewoks, make time move normally again but it's only for three seconds at a time otherwise the time dilation from anti-matter bombs made by the Russians (who are secretly spiders) will consume time and space but Michael Caine discovers that the key to nuclear weapons is love (spiders).

I'm copyrighting this shit.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Oppenheimer was wrongly believed to have schizophrenia so Nolan will delicately imply that he experienced moments of mania by having the entire cast replaced BY EWOKS, but they're not normal Ewoks they're Ewoks that can bend time and space by clicking their feet together and spiders lots and lots of spiders that, once eaten by the Ewoks, make time move normally again but it's only for three seconds at a time otherwise the time dilation from anti-matter bombs made by the Russians (who are secretly spiders) will consume time and space but Michael Caine discovers that the key to nuclear weapons is love (spiders).

I'm copyrighting this shit.
Would still make a lot more sense and be a more cerebral film than Tenet!

Charlie Foley

I can look beyond some of Dunkirks failings and still enjoy the film. Tenet, I watched for about 40 mins and turned off. Saying something that I actually bought it and still haven't finished it off.
If you had watched it, you’d know that you had actually watched the whole movie by watching the 40 minutes, but in reverse, or something

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The more I rewatch it, the more I believe Dark Knight is one of his more overrated films.

Looking forward to this though!

GuyfromAustria

Some directors prefer to work with people they have history with, makes the whole process much easier.
It's completely understandable really, why not hire the guy you know and like for another project?

Nolan has a couple of them, but it's not uncommon at all:

Scorsese and De Niro, DiCaprio, Joe Pesci...
Tarantino and Samuel L. Jackson
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter (duh)
Wes Anderson and Bill Murray, Owen Wilson,...
The Coens and Frances McDormand (duh)
Paul Thomas Anderson and Philip Seymour Hoffman
Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Great subject this (atomic bomb development). Interesting to see what Nolan did with it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
After all the parodies about his obsession with time, it seemed fitting that the trailer starts with a countdown presented in random order. I enjoy Nolan’s films, they are at least original, even if largely unintelligible either due to sound mixing or logic. But if this is in black and white, with just random colour shots of nuclear energy, then I’m out. If I want that sort of pretentious nonsense, maybe with some dinosaurs thrown in, I’ll watch a Terrance Malick flick. And I hate Malick films, with the possible exception of The Thin Red Line.

As for the other debates in here, a Tenet conversation is a great acid test for people you might potentially like to hang out with.……because you just know that anyone claiming to have a deep understanding of the themes and plots, and be insistent on how it all makes sense - if only you can understand it - is either intellectually insecure, or just massively full of shite. They are also likely under the age of 25 - which is no good for a middle aged has been like me - in order to possess sufficiently pristine hearing to decipher the dialogue. Or even worse they are middle aged, but use it as an opportunity to brag about just how good their $20k AV set up is, that they had no problem hearing every mumbled and whispered word.

Dunkirk was one of those films that I thought was really impressive in the cinema, because of the dogfight scenes. I thought those were brilliantly done. I completely understand the criticism of the lack of scale, but conversely I found the emotional restraint and lack of grandeur in the presentation of such a historic event, to just be so quintessentially British and fitting. Especially for the era. As I have been out of the country for 20 years, I think this has more nostalgia and familiar novelty than if I still lived back home. It something you miss over here in the states, where everything is truly crash, bang, wallop, boom, as loud and eye catching as possible. - One of my favourite Eddie Izzard bits is where he compared the difference between British and American cinema (Room with a view of a Pond vs Room with a view of HELL). Anyone who’s seen Dressed to Kill will know what I’m talking about. Dunkirk is definitely that film.

Interstellar is a film I see get a fair few whacks from critics, but it’s absolutely one of my favourite films of all time. Inception was just really well done and really compelling, in an original sense, for the time it was released. It still stacks up now, but has definitely lost some of that wow factor due to the trend of cinema over the last 20 years. The Prestige is just a magnificent piece of work, and never gets old. I wish Bale would collaborate with Nolan again.

Plus, this thread has given us @Mr Pigeon post about Oppositeheimer, and it is officially my favourite post of the year so far.

Last edited: