Film Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer'

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
After all the parodies about his obsession with time, it seemed fitting that the trailer starts with a countdown presented in random order. I enjoy Nolan’s films, they are at least original, even if largely unintelligible either due to sound mixing or logic. But if this is in black and white, with just random colour shots of nuclear energy, then I’m out. If I want that sort of pretentious nonsense, maybe with some dinosaurs thrown in, I’ll watch a Terrance Malick flick. And I hate Malick films, with the possible exception of The Thin Red Line.

As for the other debates in here, a Tenet conversation is a great acid test for people you might potentially like to hang out with.……because you just know that anyone claiming to have a deep understanding of the themes and plots, and be insistent on how it all makes sense - if only you can understand it - is either intellectually insecure, or just massively full of shite. They are also likely under the age of 25 - which is no good for a middle aged has been like me - in order to possess sufficiently pristine hearing to decipher the dialogue. Or even worse they are middle aged, but use it as an opportunity to brag about just how good their $20k AV set up is, that they had no problem hearing every mumbled and whispered word.

Dunkirk was one of those films that I thought was really impressive in the cinema, because of the dogfight scenes. I thought those were brilliantly done. I completely understand the criticism of the lack of scale, but conversely I found the emotional restraint and lack of grandeur in the presentation of such a historic event, to just be so quintessentially British and fitting. Especially for the era. As I have been out of the country for 20 years, I think this has more nostalgia and familiar novelty than if I still lived back home. It something you miss over here in the states, where everything is truly crash, bang, wallop, boom, as loud and eye catching as possible. - One of my favourite Eddie Izzard bits is where he compared the difference between British and American cinema (Room with a view of a Pond vs Room with a view of HELL). Anyone who’s seen Dressed to Kill will know what I’m talking about. Dunkirk is definitely that film.

Interstellar is a film I see get a fair few whacks from critics, but it’s absolutely one of my favourite films of all time. Inception was just really well done and really compelling, in an original sense, for the time it was released. It still stacks up now, but has definitely lost some of that wow factor due to the trend of cinema over the last 20 years. The Prestige is just a magnificent piece of work, and never gets old. I wish Bale would collaborate with Nolan again.

Plus, this thread has given us @Mr Pigeon post about Oppositeheimer, and it is officially my favourite post of the year so far.
When we go to watch the movie in cinemas we should just tune it all out and play Oppositeheimer in our heads.

Sweet Square

I would be amazed if the studio has let Nolan shoot the full film in black & white. Which is a shame as a all black & white imax movie would be nice to see.

As for the film itself, Cillian Murphy will be brilliant but Nolan hasn’t got a political bone in his body and that’s needed for a story like this(At best Nolan seem to be a boring Cameron/New Labour type tory).

Still I like the guy, as he genuinely cares about films as an art form, so I hold out hope it will be an interesting film. Also in about 10 years time people will love Tenet and talk about it as a masterpiece. It’s Nolan taking his shtick to extreme lengths, which is something.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
Wonder if he will allow the audience to hear the dialogue this time

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I wonder will we know what is happening this time. :lol: I didnt have a clue what was happening in tenet.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
After all the parodies about his obsession with time, it seemed fitting that the trailer starts with a countdown presented in random order. I enjoy Nolan’s films, they are at least original, even if largely unintelligible either due to sound mixing or logic. But if this is in black and white, with just random colour shots of nuclear energy, then I’m out. If I want that sort of pretentious nonsense, maybe with some dinosaurs thrown in, I’ll watch a Terrance Malick flick. And I hate Malick films, with the possible exception of The Thin Red Line.

As for the other debates in here, a Tenet conversation is a great acid test for people you might potentially like to hang out with.……because you just know that anyone claiming to have a deep understanding of the themes and plots, and be insistent on how it all makes sense - if only you can understand it - is either intellectually insecure, or just massively full of shite. They are also likely under the age of 25 - which is no good for a middle aged has been like me - in order to possess sufficiently pristine hearing to decipher the dialogue. Or even worse they are middle aged, but use it as an opportunity to brag about just how good their $20k AV set up is, that they had no problem hearing every mumbled and whispered word.

Dunkirk was one of those films that I thought was really impressive in the cinema, because of the dogfight scenes. I thought those were brilliantly done. I completely understand the criticism of the lack of scale, but conversely I found the emotional restraint and lack of grandeur in the presentation of such a historic event, to just be so quintessentially British and fitting. Especially for the era. As I have been out of the country for 20 years, I think this has more nostalgia and familiar novelty than if I still lived back home. It something you miss over here in the states, where everything is truly crash, bang, wallop, boom, as loud and eye catching as possible. - One of my favourite Eddie Izzard bits is where he compared the difference between British and American cinema (Room with a view of a Pond vs Room with a view of HELL). Anyone who’s seen Dressed to Kill will know what I’m talking about. Dunkirk is definitely that film.

Interstellar is a film I see get a fair few whacks from critics, but it’s absolutely one of my favourite films of all time. Inception was just really well done and really compelling, in an original sense, for the time it was released. It still stacks up now, but has definitely lost some of that wow factor due to the trend of cinema over the last 20 years. The Prestige is just a magnificent piece of work, and never gets old. I wish Bale would collaborate with Nolan again.

Plus, this thread has given us @Mr Pigeon post about Oppositeheimer, and it is officially my favourite post of the year so far.
And Badlands, no ?

HookedOnAPhelan

Looking forward to this, even if the last Nolan film that I really liked was Interstellar, which is absolutely incredible in parts, though not so good in others (the Matt Damon subplot). Dunkirk, while well-made, was very forgettable. And Tenet was a mess.

The Prestige is my favorite Nolan film, and Batman Begins is my favorite superhero film of all time.

HookedOnAPhelan

Looking forward to this, even if the last Nolan film that I really liked was Interstellar, which is absolutely incredible in parts, though not so good in others (the Matt Damon subplot). Dunkirk, while well-made, was very forgettable. And Tenet was a mess.

The Prestige is my favorite Nolan film, and Batman Begins is my favorite superhero film.

Suv666

No one will be watching this everyone will be at Barbie
Life in plastic its fantastic

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The poster looks class. None of the modern floating head bullshit.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Looks like a potentially great summer for movies, after a mostly disappointing 2022.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
IMAX or bust. The man gets a fair amount of shit but he's flying the flag for the continuation of cinema. I love his hatred of streaming services. If I had to choose between Amazon Prime and Netflix or IMAX filmed Nolan blockbustery it's Nolan all the way baby. Really intrigued about Oppenheimer. Guess it'll have a First Man feel.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It would be the greatest travesty in cinematic history if Michael Caine was not in this film. He has to be cast and get the first line after the atom bomb test:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I just saw this again a couple of days ago. (I watch the Italian Job like once every couple of years along with Kelley's Heroes.)

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Good Lord a great director made 1 bad movie and he's a past it dinosaur... Gotta love the caf
People call him great director but in reality he makes pretty average movies for years with few very good ones.

Interstellar is not a great movie, but it's probably his best since first two Dark Knights. Man of steel, Tenet, third Batman are all average to poor movies with good production(even though Tenet's production isn't that good either, sound mixing is completely shite and going backwards stopped being cool in 1960s, fight scenes are ridiculously shite). Dunkirk is interesting but pretty forgettable as someone said, I don't think I would want to watch any of these movies again even if they are on TV with nothing to watch.

Considering the hype and budget he uses for his films, I don't think they are anywhere near great, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
People call him great director but in reality he makes pretty average movies for years with few very good ones.

Interstellar is not a great movie, but it's probably his best since first two Dark Knights. Man of steel, Tenet, third Batman are all average to poor movies with good production(even though Tenet's production isn't that good either, sound mixing is completely shite and going backwards stopped being cool in 1960s, fight scenes are ridiculously shite). Dunkirk is interesting but pretty forgettable as someone said, I don't think I would want to watch any of these movies again even if they are on TV with nothing to watch.

Considering the hype and budget he uses for his films, I don't think they are anywhere near great, but hey, that's just my opinion.
Name a director who gets 10 out of 10. Even scorccese has his share of meh movies.

He's not the best director ever but he's a good if not great director. And we're only paying 8 dollars to see his movies. The same we paid to see Marvel dross

Sweet Square

This is the most interesting I’ve been in a Nolan film as it will hopefully require him to say something political.

Too many of his films are devoid of any substance and are more like watching a experienced watchmaker, impressive but dull.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

He didn't direct Man of steel.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It was pretentious rubbish.
You're pretentious rubbish. Nolan is a genious. Name a better movie than TDK? Exactly, literally nothing. He's single handedly changed the course of modern cinema and paved the way for directors like Denis Villeuave and that guy who taped his neck fat back in Citizen Kane.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
This is the most interesting I’ve been in a Nolan film as it will hopefully require him to say something political.

Too many of his films are devoid of any substance and are more like watching a experienced watchmaker, impressive but dull.
I agree that Oppenheimer is a fascinating topic (guess that's what you meant) although Nolan wouldn't have been the first to come to mind to deal with this.

Wasn't TDK quiet political - although more for the wrong reasons? Not a big Nolan fan myself, gave up after Interstellar.

Suv666

He’s not mediocre or a shit director and it’s ridiculous to claim so neither is he up there as one of the best ever.

He does have a cult of personality and his fans can be a bit annoying. I know quite a few people who claim Tenet was a masterpiece, which is fair art being subjective and all that but I suspect its just because it was a Nolan flick.

Chairman Steve

I wish Nolan went back to less ‘epic’ movies and a little bit more smaller scale. More of ’The Prestige’ and less of ‘Tenet’. He had a script based on Howard Hughes that was going to star Jim Carrey as Hughes years ago, but abandoned it when Scorsese did The Aviator. I wish he could reconsider that again.

This looks more smaller in scale and interesting though. I’m sure Cillian Murphy will be great in it.

Sweet Square

I agree that Oppenheimer is a fascinating topic (guess that's what you meant) although Nolan wouldn't have been the first to come to mind to deal with this.
Oh agree with you. He wouldn’t be anywhere near my first choice. Imo there really is only one director who could do justice to the story of Robert Oppenheimer

Wasn't TDK quiet political - although more for the wrong reasons? Not a big Nolan fan myself, gave up after Interstellar.
It is but Nolan doesn’t think so. Sadly he is incredibly dull when talking about the Batman films - https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...-dark-knight-rises-isnt-political-245401/amp/

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Boring dude who makes movies for people who think they enjoy good movies when they're actually still wading the water of IMDB's Top 250.

He does do it very well admittedly.
What does that mean?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He better fix the fecking sound in this one