Music CHVRCHES

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings

New single, really digging it, pretty excited for their sophomore effort.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'll listen to that later.

I found the first album to have really great stuff surrounded by some pretty dull filler.

Dante

Average bang
I can't quite figure out my own opinion of Lauren Mayberry. I think she's a poor singer, but got a really nice sounding voice.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Which makes synth pop pretty much the perfect genre for her.

Hal9000

I can't quite figure out my own opinion of Lauren Mayberry. I think she's a poor singer, but got a really nice sounding voice.
I think her voice suits the music they make.

I think if you have the right material, it does not matter how skilled you are vocally.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Dante might be referring to her singing live, which can be a bit iffy. Going off YouTube anyway, never actually seen them live.

Dante

Average bang
Nah, I just don't think she has much range or even personality to her voice. But I could listen to her all day. I don't get it.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Oh okay, we disagree then. I don't know about range, but I think her voice has personality. But yeah I could also listen to it all day too.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Nah, I just don't think she has much range or even personality to her voice. But I could listen to her all day. I don't get it.
I would. That's all that matters for me.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Some of the tracks are on YouTube...

justboy68

Has anyone said that's fecking stupid? Because that's fecking stupid.
Apparently they did it so that they wouldn't get buried by links and images of actual churches in google. Business savvy I suppose, if they couldn't be arsed thinking of a different name.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Clearest Blue gets better with every listen, this album should be great.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Thoughts then folks?

Guardian review:
Three strident synth-pop bangers open the second Chvrches album and lay bare the Scottish trio’s intent: here they are doubling down on the formula that got them where they are today. It’s an assured follow-up to their US-conquering debut, The Bones of What You Believe, picking out its predecessor’s stadium-pop moments and turning up the intensity without ever overselling its charm. There’s an appealing combination of steely survival and breathless optimism throughout – Make Them Gold and Clearest Blue look towards a better future, with the latter updating Depeche Mode’s Just Can’t Get Enough for the BBC Radio 1 A-list. The tracklisting for the second half might suggest that they’ve taken a turn for the goth – Playing Dead, Bury It, Down Side of Me – but many of those songs provide a welcome pause for thought, featuring more subtleties than the obvious hits. It ends with Afterglow: the hangover after the party, and it’s Chvrches at their prettiest.
The Verge:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/23/9384975/chvrches-every-open-eye-review

kps88

Sounds very much like the first album but I really like it.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'm liking it. Nothing on it is as good as the best tracks on their debut, but it also doesn't have some of their debut's dull filler.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
New album is out soon. Loving the first few tracks from it...

Doesn't seem to be a huge deviation from the first two albums which is okay with me.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
New album is out soon. Loving the first few tracks from it...

Doesn't seem to be a huge deviation from the first two albums which is okay with me.
Yesssssssss

Bangers all around.

I also still really fancy her.

kps88

They're awesome. Managed to see them live twice and it did not disappoint.

I like all three new songs but fan response online has been mixed.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They're awesome. Managed to see them live twice and it did not disappoint.

I like all three new songs but fan response online has been a mixed.
Lot of the criticism revolves around the repetitive choruses of Never Say Die and Get Out and how some think they're trying to be too poppy and radio friendly now.

But I really enjoy the choruses and don't mind and if they're making music to get more popular. If it's still good, it shouldn't matter.

Dante

Average bang

I know it's over a year old, but feck me, this is incredible. Dare I say it, better than the original.

LARulz

Back again with a song for Death Stranding.

Typical song: Repetitive and sounds like you've heard it before from them. So it's great.

Simbo

Never paid much attention to this band but I think I love them. Recently found myself listenting to their concerts/covers/etc back to back for hours, just letting youtube keep serving them up.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
New album is fantastic. I've loved every album they've released so far, there are few bands I can say that about.

Lullabies, California and Asking for a Friend are the best tracks for me. Lullabies is one of their best songs, in my opinion.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
New album is fantastic. I've loved every album they've released so far, there are few bands I can say that about.

Lullabies, California and Asking for a Friend are the best tracks for me. Lullabies is one of their best songs, in my opinion.
Love them. This is one of my favorite songs of all time.

fergieisold

The new albums good, think I've seen them too many times live for now as last time it felt a bit flat for me. Amazing the transformation from their first appearance at Glastonbury on the John peel to now - particularly Lauren's stage presence.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

They’re definitely one of the top groups of the 00s.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
This is their best album since the first one for sure, love them

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Funnily enough, sounds like she wrote that in a tantrum because she didn't want to write tacky pop but eventually relented and that's how "Here with Me" was born!

This is funny. I love Clearest Blue as well. I wonder how she came up with that one.