City avoid transfer ban

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I for one am shocked, SHOCKED!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Posted this in other thread, more apt here though.

I was fully in favour of us getting a ban as we deserved it. Was also in favour of the ban being upheld even during the appeal process. However it now feels very harsh our punishment in light of this news Can't understand why City haven't been banned though, both clubs willingly and knowingly broke the rules. Other English clubs are being investigated currently about it as well, be interesting to see if anyone else is banned or in meaningless fines are handed out as well. City signed less players than us but they were still aware of what they were doing, they should have got a similar punishment.

El Zoido

I was fully in favour of us getting a ban as we deserved it. Was also in favour of the ban being upheld even during the appeal process. However it now feels very harsh our punishment in light of this news Can't understand why City haven't been banned though, both clubs willingly and knowingly broke the rules. Other English clubs are being investigated currently about it as well, be interesting to see if anyone else is banned or in meaningless fines are handed out as well. City signed less players than us but they were still aware of what they were doing, they should have got a similar punishment.
You didn’t pay off the right people.

Dolf

“The disciplinary committee took into account the fact that Manchester City FC accepted its responsibility”

Great, now take responsibility for where your money is coming from

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
It appears City have not breached any rules after December 2016, when the interpretation of the rule(s) where made clear, while Chelsea has breached the rules after December 2016.

But I guess it’s easier to yell “corruption” and “oil money” when a rival club doesn’t get punished for something they didn’t do.

How much?

I might be wrong but I think that we broke the rules (as they were poorly worded) on one maybe two occasions in relation to kids we had on trial playing in friendly games. Chelsea were found to have broken the rule 29 times, failed to comply with other registration requirements and also more seriously breached Article 18b . Chelsea were found guilty of breaching the rules on signing of minors, but also having influence in the transfer activities of other clubs and third parties on two separate occasions, so that maybe why your punishment was more severe.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
This isn't the end of it, is it? This doesn't seem like it's anything to do with the FFP / "Champions League ban" investigation?

HJ12

What a joke. Essentially saying to every other club that it's okay to breach the rules, but when you're investigated just admit that you're guilty and pay the 400k fine or whatever it is.
If you claimed ignorance of the rules at least you can hide behind the guise of stupidity (however unlikely that may be). Admission that you understood the rules and said feck em anyway, now that's a different level of we don't give a damn.

HJ12

This isn't the end of it, is it? This doesn't seem like it's anything to do with the FFP / "Champions League ban" investigation?
Correct. The Champions League ban's got to do with the football leaks info.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Is it because City admitted it and Chelsea kept denying it?

Or are Chelsea being bummed?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

But you've pretty much answered your own question in your post. "City signed less players than us." Ergo, smaller punishment. Objectively, surely that makes sense that if you're found guilty of less charges, the punishment would be different?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Russian money can’t buy FIFA post 2018... but Middle Eastern can until at least 2022
Not sure that makes total sense given it’s likely Qatar has some power now, if it exposed the 2022 skeletons. Not sure the princes of Abu Dhabi ahem any extra clout over FIFA.

More likely to do with City’s threat to drown FIFA with lawyers if they dared find them guilty.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
But you've pretty much answered your own question in your post. "City signed less players than us." Ergo, smaller punishment. Objectively, surely that makes sense that if you're found guilty of less charges, the punishment would be different?
Not really. The charges are still pretty severe, 9 players is a lot. City knew what they were doing as well, it isn't some error on their behalf. Barcelona were punished for 10 cases. Is the extra player justification for a 2 window transfer ban compared to a tiny fine? All the clubs are fully aware of the rules regarding u18s, the amount of players involved should be somewhat irrelevant unless it's a genuine mistake for 1 player.

fergiesarmy1

Does seem one rule for city and another for everyone else, still remember Ferdinand getting an eight month ban while that city player got fined 2k in similar circumstances.

They werent even loaded with oil money then :nervous:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Not sure that makes total sense given it’s likely Qatar has some power now, if it exposed the 2022 skeletons. Not sure the princes of Abu Dhabi ahem any extra clout over FIFA.

More likely to do with City’s threat to drown FIFA with lawyers if they dared find them guilty.
For the sake of accuracy, we threatened to drown UEFA with lawyers, not FIFA.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So wait, all we need to do is buy loads of these young promising kids and then admit to it, so we get a fine that doesn't actually matter...

Interesting

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Not really. The charges are still pretty severe, 9 players is a lot. City knew what they were doing as well, it isn't some error on their behalf. Barcelona were punished for 10 cases. Is the extra player justification for a 2 window transfer ban compared to a tiny fine? All the clubs are fully aware of the rules regarding u18s, the amount of players involved should be somewhat irrelevant unless it's a genuine mistake for 1 player.
Reporting is still coming out, but MEN is saying that we were only found guilty of charges related to two players, not nine.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't care about their transfers, I just want them banned from the CL. Or is that another investigation?

Gasolin

Still, Chelsea will be very confused now. I think the ban would have made sense, but now I hope they get at least a CL ban.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't care about them not getting a ban but a £315K fine for a club like Man City (or Chelsea) is utterly ridiculous and no disincentive at all.

Part of me actually likes the ban. Without it I doubt any of our kids would get a chance and I've been wanting that for years.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
OK about a lesser punishment for City, but the difference in punishment is massive! Chelsea's season has been hugely effected. Not only this season, but probably no CL football next season too. Meanwhile, City get fined a bag of peanuts. For all its great football your club (NOT IT'S FANS) stinks to high heaven and is as bent as a 9 pound note.

Denis79

I'm not informed about this matter, why were they under investigation?

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Does seem one rule for city and another for everyone else, still remember Ferdinand getting an eight month ban while that city player got fined 2k in similar circumstances.

They werent even loaded with oil money then :nervous:
Kolo Toure received a 6-month ban in 2010, to be fair.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not informed about this matter, why were they under investigation?
Fifa said City breached article 19 of its regulations: "International transfers of players are only permitted if the player is over the age of 18."

Chelsea were banned from signing players for two transfer windows for a similar rule breach - but the club are appealing to have that overturned.

"The Fifa disciplinary committee has sanctioned English club Manchester City FC for breaches relating to the international transfer and registration of players under the age of 18," said football's world governing body in a statement.

"Manchester City FC was found to have breached, among others, article 19 of the Fifa Regulations on the status and transfer of players.

"The disciplinary committee took into account the fact that Manchester City FC accepted its responsibility and sanctioned the club with a fine of CHF 370,000."