City Quadruple or Liverpool Prem winners - what is worse?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
City quadruple. Every. Single. Time.

The Vermin mustn’t be allowed to win anything. Ever. Did you see the state of them last night? It’s not even in their own hands and they’re celebrating - Sky included - already.

Nauseating.

Treble

I really really dislike Liverpool but City winning the quadruple would put them among the greatest club teams ever, and not only in England. The bloody money factor would be quickly forgotten. Does anyone mention now that Milan 88-90 were financially doped by Berlusconi? Their success wasn't exactly "natural".

In footballing terms, Liverpool are more like Jose's Chelsea 05 - excellent and really hard to beat but not in the conversation for the best club teams in history, nowhere near that.

RedAlways78

All other fellow Utd supporters I know have said they would rather sacrifice top 4 than win against City and potentially hand Liveroool the title.

Opinion seems very divided on here. I personally think us getting top 4 is more important. We want to attract world class players this summer and champions league football is a big draw.

Treble

All other fellow Utd supporters I know have said they would rather sacrifice top 4 than win against City and potentially hand Liveroool the title.

Opinion seems very divided on here. I personally think us getting top 4 is more important. We want to attract world class players this summer and champions league football is a big draw.
I'm pretty sure that the board, Ole and the players agree with this. The question is whether we'd be in a position to properly challenge for top 4 come the derby. I wouldn't be surprised if we failed to beat both Wham and Everton and were out of it after Everton. If we get results though, we'll try to beat City, that's 100% certain.

LInkash

The treble is the greatest moment in our history.

For that to be overshadowed just because we don't want Liverpool to win the league one year is incredibly shortsighted.

There are debates about the greatest premier league team of all time and most people still pick our 99 team because of the treble. This quadruple for city would make them the greatest in the eyes of the public, they don't care that it was backed by oil money.

scouser271

Supports
Liverpool FC
I know guys that for You the Liverpool title is a nightmare scenario. But How this can be even a question? Liverpool will win a league once, But City's quadrouple would overtake the best season You has ever had.
You should stop, breath a little bit and then think again. Be careful about your wishes because It might happen. :)

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Definitely Liverpool winning the league over City winning the quadruple.

Would be fecking depressing to see that money grabbing plastic club achieve what no other English club has ever achieved. In the day and age when money is taking over the game and the old ethic of working hard/developing to achieve your success is going dead, it would be the final nail in the coffin of those who love to see a small club grow into winners, rather than clubs buying success.

Feck City.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
City quadruple for me. They're an artificial club so they will never have earned anything they achieve. Plus I have a lot of mates that support Liverpool so feck that.

Sara125

I’ll tell you what is worse. These fecking comparison/hypothetical threads about Liverpool popping up every other week.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's a good job we're winning the Champs league to stop this quadruple then innit :wenger:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

If it was a one or the other it'd be something.
Most likely we'll get a result against City, and STILL not make top 4, making it an all round worst case scenario.

We really need Chelsea to nab a draw at Anfield, so we can get our result with impunity!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I've wondered how I'd look at this conundrum if i was a United fan. On the one hand, you've got the prospect of United's historic achievement from 20 years ago being usurped. However, you wouldn't want Liverpool turning 1 title into 2-3 across 4-5 years with the monkey finally off their back. Feel free to cheer for Pep i reckon.

Josh 76

The treble is the greatest moment in our history.

For that to be overshadowed just because we don't want Liverpool to win the league one year is incredibly shortsighted.

There are debates about the greatest premier league team of all time and most people still pick our 99 team because of the treble. This quadruple for city would make them the greatest in the eyes of the public, they don't care that it was backed by oil money.
Who gives a feck about the greatest premier league team ever. It's all about opinions. What matters more is we have won more top flight titles than any other team in England. If those Scousers win it, they will only be one behind and be in pole position to over take us.
The treble will always be the greatest moment in our history, no matter what City do.

Cloud7

I’m not sure if I’ve posted in this thread before, but I’ll take the Scousers winning the title over city winning the quadruple.

Winning the quadruple instantly makes this city team the best team in PL history. I can’t stand the thought of them having something undisputed that even our greatest teams didn’t have.

The_Bloods

If City don't do it this season - they will at some point. We may even do it once we get ourselves straight - and it's entirely possible for Liverpool to do it, too.

The gulf between the top sides and 7th in the league is a growing chasm that gets worse by the season. Appreciate we've had a Leicester title recently, but can anyone honestly see anyone outside of the top 6 (United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs) even challenging for a top 4 finish without getting a City-style injection of oil money?

The last 6 EFL Cup wins have gone to United, City and Chelsea. The FA Cup has only been won by one team outside of the top 6 in the last decade.

I think we will see domestic doubles and trebles become relatively commonplace - and if the stars align, adding the Champion's League is also possible - especially as there are only a small handful of clubs in realistic contention for it each year.

Last edited:

Josh 76

So
I’m not sure if I’ve posted in this thread before, but I’ll take the Scousers winning the title over city winning the quadruple.

Winning the quadruple instantly makes this city team the best team in PL history. I can’t stand the thought of them having something undisputed that even our greatest teams didn’t have.
So going by your theory, Are Utd 99 the greatest PL in history at the moment ?
Who actually decides that ? What official award to you get for that privilege ?

Cloud7

So

So going by your theory, Are Utd 99 the greatest PL in history at the moment ?
Who actually decides that ? What official award to you get for that privilege ?
They’re in contention for it, certainly. As are a couple other teams. That’s the point, that it’s contentious right now, as there are a few candidates. If City win the quadruple, then in my opinion that instantly propels them to the top of the list.

No one decides it, it’s my opinion. I’m not telling you which one you should care about more.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I know guys that for You the Liverpool title is a nightmare scenario. But How this can be even a question? Liverpool will win a league once, But City's quadrouple would overtake the best season You has ever had.
You should stop, breath a little bit and then think again. Be careful about your wishes because It might happen. :)
Any number trophies City win, including that of an unprecedented quadruple, is instantly made irrelevant due to the circumstances in which they achieved it. No one cares about Man City.

The same cannot be said of Liverpool however. Should they win the league this season, ending 30 years of pain and suffering in the process, we will never hear the end of it.

And I do mean never.

LInkash

Who gives a feck about the greatest premier league team ever. It's all about opinions. What matters more is we have won more top flight titles than any other team in England. If those Scousers win it, they will only be one behind and be in pole position to over take us.
The treble will always be the greatest moment in our history, no matter what City do.
They would still be one behind, we must believe that was can get that lead back through our own efforts. I'd rather that than rely on City to beat them to the title every year. If Ole can do that for us, it would be all the more sweeter.

If Man City win the quadruple, that's it. They'll be the first team to win the quadruple and that's cemented in history.

LInkash

Any number trophies City win, including that of an unprecedented quadruple, is instantly made irrelevant due to the circumstances in which they achieved it. No one cares about Man City.

The same cannot be said of Liverpool however. Should they win the league this season, ending 30 years of pain and suffering in the process, we will never hear the end of it.

And I do mean never.
People do care about City. They have so many admirers. You don't see pundits going 'oh it's only oil money'. That's just something we say to ourselves to make us feel better and superior. In time, people won't even care.

Irwin99

I don't even want City to be the first to do the domestic treble. Ideal scenario would be City win the PL, Wolves win the FA cup and, if we can't win the champions league, then Barca to win it for Messi.

JohnnyKills

Let's just focus on ourselves. If we don't improve it doesn't matter what City or Liverpool do.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
People do care about City. They have so many admirers. You don't see pundits going 'oh it's only oil money'. That's just something we say to ourselves to make us feel better and superior. In time, people won't even care.
I disagree.

Irwin99

This has been a truly awful season. Our two biggest rivals battling for the main trophies while we had to suffer Jose's constant negativity for half a season.

El Zoido

This has been a truly awful season. Our two biggest rivals battling for the main trophies while we had to suffer Jose's constant negativity for half a season.
It’s been crap for ages and I can’t see an end in sight. Next year will be no different. Seems a cruel fate that the two teams that take over our mantle at the top are our two biggest rivals. Literally any other clubs would have been better.

Cloud7

And I do mean never.
People do care about city. We can’t keep burying our heads in the sand about this and saying that their money makes what they do irrelevant, because it doesn’t.

Down here where I am there are more and more kids wearing city jerseys. When I go to play football I see these jerseys in a country where fifteen years ago that would never have been possible. City are generating support in the up and coming generation of fans, especially internationally. If they continue winning, while also playing entertaining football, this will only continue to increase.

In the UK it might take longer, but internationally their popularity will grow a lot over the next 10 years if they continue on this trajectory.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
People do care about city. We can’t keep burying our heads in the sand about this and saying that their money makes what they do irrelevant, because it doesn’t.

Down here where I am there are more and more kids wearing city jerseys. When I go to play football I see these jerseys in a country where fifteen years ago that would never have been possible. City are generating support in the up and coming generation of fans, especially internationally. If they continue winning, while also playing entertaining football, this will only continue to increase.

In the UK it might take longer, but internationally their popularity will grow a lot over the next 10 years if they continue on this trajectory.
Well, I live in the NW of England and the people in my neck of the woods feel the same way as I do - for the most part anyway. I won't deny that City has grown in popularity over the last decade or so, accumulating a large number of trophies in a short time-span will appeal to the easily swayed, but they will never reach the heights of Liverpool and United, not in a million years.

In the NW of England, you're either United or Liverpool. The likes City, Everton and Leeds will always be miles behind. Don't believe the 'Manchester is blue' propaganda

Cloud7

Well, I live in the NW of England and the people in my neck of the woods feel the same way as I do - for the most part anyway. I won't deny that City has grown in popularity over the last decade or so, accumulating a large number of trophies in a short time-span will appeal to the easily swayed, but they will never reach the heights of Liverpool and United, not in a million years.

In the NW of England, you're either United or Liverpool. The likes City, Everton and Leeds will always be miles behind. Don't believe the 'Manchester is blue' propaganda
Well yeah, as I said in the UK it will take longer, and to some extent the transition might never happen in the UK because of the traditional links to the clubs.

The area that we risk losing out on is the international market. I mean you can call them glory hunters or whatever, but it’s the fans all over the world who have made United as big as they are. Losing the upcoming generation of these fans to city will be disastrous, especially if it continues with successive generations.

This isn’t me buying into any propaganda. This is me making observations based on things in front of me changing.

Bestofthebest

I have to say I would rather Liverpool won the title. Ouch, that hurt. The reason being they can say they won it rather than bought it whereas city have been handed countless amounts of money by people not really interested in football. I remember Blackburn buying one title with Jack Walkers money but he was a pauper compared with this lot but I still despised Walker and Blackburn, still do. Hopefully someone will put a spoke in city's pursuit of the quadruple, remember Wigan.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
If Liverpool were to win the league this season, yeah it would be intolerable but soon forgotten next season. They could quite easily finish outside the top 4 next season and nobody would be talking about their PL win. Perhaps if it was the season where they overtake United, I might view it differently.

City winning the Quadruple, however would be the worst case scenario. It would be something to constantly beat United over the head with year in year out. And of course they would go into the history books.

Liverpool winning the league this season would only be a big deal for Liverpool fans. I'd be sick to my stomach if City lifted that Champions League trophy to make it 4/4.

Chairman Steve

Liverpool winning the league would be worse because the crowing from the fans.

City is a weird concept where they’re playing some of the best football ever seen in the British Isles, yet no one really cares about them apart from journalists. Everyone talks about Utd’s treble team, Arsenal’s Invincibles etc but I’ve never heard anyone talk about their 100 league point team ‘Centurions’. It’s like the football fan fraternity just acknowledges them at best... also Chelsea beat them to the punch as the billionaire owner splashing cash thing too.

buchansleftleg

I'll say let City get a minor version of the treble, league and both domestic cups.

It will suit their fans to try and make out it is as impressive as our treble.

European cup won't be coming to UK

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
I find it amusing when people here get their knickers in a twist about City or Pool winning the quad or league title. These titles will always change hands, and it's beyond anybody's control (especially the fans) though it is a huge source of contemporary pride. Once-upon-a-time Aston Villa were the record champions, then Sunderland took over. Every club will always have a yo-yo component in their history. Stop stressing yourselves.

Needham

I find it amusing when people here get their knickers in a twist about City or Pool winning the quad or league title. These titles will always change hands, and it's beyond anybody's control (especially the fans) though it is a huge source of contemporary pride. Once-upon-a-time Aston Villa were the record champions, then Sunderland took over. Every club will always have a yo-yo component in their history. Stop stressing yourselves.
Easy to say for someone supporting the annual Champions of the least competitive league in the solar system. We all want to live to see Liverpool not having won the title for 50 years. Yes, that will be sweet.

GM K

It's truly the question we don't want as United fans, but which way would you lean?

For me it has to be anything but a City Quadruple. Hopefully they'll get done over in Europe and we'll beat them in FA Cup and then they can take a Premier League, crap cup double.

But if I somehow had access to a FA Cup and Champions League Crystal Ball that said City will win those and then I have a choice of City or Liverpool for the title, it would have to be Liverpool.

My focus is always on United and being the only team to have won the English/ CL treble is prestige that I don't want us to lose.
You are literarily telling us to pick between the devil and the deep blue sea. So mean of you.