City Quadruple or Liverpool Prem winners - what is worse?

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
All other fellow Utd supporters I know have said they would rather sacrifice top 4 than win against City and potentially hand Liveroool the title.

Opinion seems very divided on here. I personally think us getting top 4 is more important. We want to attract world class players this summer and champions league football is a big draw.
How ridiculous that some Man United fans would even suggest sacrificing top four to stop Liverpool winning the league. Do you really want to play Europa on Thursday nights?

If it was the other way around, I'd take top four over stopping United winning the league. Every time. Being in the CL is huge business for the club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
How ridiculous that some Man United fans would even suggest sacrificing top four to stop Liverpool winning the league. Do you really want to play Europa on Thursday nights?

If it was the other way around, I'd take top four over stopping United winning the league. Every time. Being in the CL is huge business for the club.
It's ridiculous tbh. It just says to me that these people over the past 5 years have become so disillusioned or just were glory hunters in the first place that we go through a rough spell and they sacrifice the future good of the club so a rival doesnt win. No matter how hated any other club is, United comes first. If it's a matter of 2/3/4, obviously it doesnt make a difference. Big difference between 4th and 5th though. It's not even like the alternative to Liverpool is good though, so I really dont understand the people who would rather we lose to City than beat them and give Liverpool the title.

shaky

It's different for you lot though. you got used to dealing with us winning the league. If you win this PL title, any subsequent titles you win probably won't seem half as unpalatable. The longer you go without winning it, the more disappointing it will be for me when (if) you finally do win it.

peridigm

Bonkers. I don't understand the reasoning behind their thought process. Some even posted they'd rather United were relegated before Liverpool win the league. I hope they're just trying to put their hate for Liverpool into context but you sometimes have to wonder.

At the end of the day I don't give a feck what Liverpool or City win. I support United and want them to finish as high up the table as possible. If that means beating City helps Liverpool win the league, then so be it. It helps United get one step closer to a CL spot for nest season. CL for us next season is paramount to United succeeding in the summer transfer market. Yes, we signed good players without CL, but if we finish out of top 4, what are the chances DDG or Pogba stick around. I'd wager they're pretty slim chances.

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
It's different for you lot though. you got used to dealing with us winning the league. If you win this PL title, any subsequent titles you win probably won't seem half as unpalatable. The longer you go without winning it, the more disappointing it will be for me when (if) you finally do win it.
Not being in the CL will hurt your chances of getting top players. Goodwill eventually runs out, and you lot, just like us (Liverpool), can bang on about the history as much as you want, but if you are not playing in the CL regularly, then the elite players will go elsewhere.

See what it has done to Liverpool by playing regularly in the CL. Top players want to come to Anfield again.

Treble

The quadruple is still quite unrealistic. Say, they have 50% to win the league, 70% the FA Cup and 20% the CL. That amounts to just 7% to win them all. It really is highly unlikely to happen.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Yeah but now there is a real possibility of Liverpool's CL and PL double which I think is the worst scenario for the United fans :lol:

TRUERED89

Yeah but now there is a real possibility of Liverpool's CL and PL double which I think is the worst scenario for the United fans :lol:
City will go hard for the PL now, and I don’t think pool will get past Barca as much as the media are getting a hard on over pool!

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
There’s a chance of a Liverpool double but they’re still outsiders on both fronts. It’s getting a little too close for comfort but I have faith in City getting their heads right for the title run-in and vanquishing all before them, and Messi being Messi.

Liverpool this season have been good, but that’s all they’ve been: good. All bias aside, they do not deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as previous domestic title and European Cup double-winning sides.

Josh 76

All I'm going to say is, for all those Utd fans who were celebrating last night, be careful what you wish for

Liverpool's fixtures have fallen into place.
Cardiff (a) Sunday 21st April
Huddersfield (h) Friday 26th april
Barcalona (a) Tuesday 30th April
Newcastle (a) Sunday 5th may
Barcalona (h) Tuesday 7th may
Wolves (h) Sunday 12th may
Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

The only tricky time will be when they play Newcastle (a) and Barca (h) in 48 hrs...
All out hopes come down to those 48 hours

spiriticon

I don't think Liverpool will win the CL but they are highly likely to win the league I'm afraid.

Their remaining fixtures are a walkover, apart from Wolves.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All I'm going to say is, for all those Utd fans who were celebrating last night, be careful what you wish for

Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

The only tricky time will be when they play Newcastle (a) and Barca (h) in 48 hrs...
There will never be 2 matches in 48 hours at this time of the season. Plus I don't know how long have you been following football, but a 2 legged CL tie always takes place with one match on a Tuesday and another on Wednesday. So Pool and Barca won't be facing each other on 2 Tuesdays. There will at least be a 2 day rest between 2 matches, it's standard protocol.

Josh 76

There will never be 2 matches in 48 hours at this time of the season. Plus I don't know how long have you been following football, but a 2 legged CL tie always takes place with one match on a Tuesday and another on Wednesday. So Pool and Barca won't be facing each other on 2 Tuesdays. There will at least be a 2 day rest between 2 matches, it's standard protocol.
Then that's even worse.

Smores

Bonkers. I don't understand the reasoning behind their thought process. Some even posted they'd rather United were relegated before Liverpool win the league. I hope they're just trying to put their hate for Liverpool into context but you sometimes have to wonder.

At the end of the day I don't give a feck what Liverpool or City win. I support United and want them to finish as high up the table as possible. If that means beating City helps Liverpool win the league, then so be it. It helps United get one step closer to a CL spot for nest season. CL for us next season is paramount to United succeeding in the summer transfer market. Yes, we signed good players without CL, but if we finish out of top 4, what are the chances DDG or Pogba stick around. I'd wager they're pretty slim chances.
Question, are you from england? From my experience speaking to people here most would happily sacrifice top 4 to guarantee Liverpool didn't win the league (even more so a double). Considering how so many on here don't get it i can only assume our foreign fans don't understand the rivalry

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Then that's even worse.
Simple fact of the matter is the PL title is gonna be decided at OT. The momentum Pool have now I can't see them dropping points in the league. So if City are to win the league, they are going to have to win at OT. And if we lose against City that's our top 4 hopes done for. So it's all gonna come to a head for Utd, City and Pool next Wednesday.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Question, are you from england? From my experience speaking to people here most would happily sacrifice top 4 to guarantee Liverpool didn't win the league (even more so a double). Considering how so many on here don't get it i can only assume our foreign fans don't understand the rivalry
Yeah that's what it is. I'm foreign and normally I wouldn't care as much but the nauseating wankery in the media over Liverpool is probably a small sliver of what local fans would go through if Liverpool ever wins it :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan
That’s not true, if they win this one, the next one will be very very unpalatable as it catches up with us.

TRUERED89

Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

Yea we're fecked! But atleast City cant do a quad now! That's all I wanted at this point!

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Literally the same as asking if you'd rather be fingered up the arse by your ex or the person you dislike the most

Either way, you're getting fingered
Some people like that kinky stuff.

Trizy

Literally the same as asking if you'd rather be fingered up the arse by your ex or the person you dislike the most

Either way, you're getting fingered
:lol:.

Best case senario from now on; Watford FA Cup, Barcelona/Ajax CL and City League winners.

TRUERED89

There’s a chance of a Liverpool double but they’re still outsiders on both fronts. It’s getting a little too close for comfort but I have faith in City getting their heads right for the title run-in and vanquishing all before them, and Messi being Messi.

Liverpool this season have been good, but that’s all they’ve been: good. All bias aside, they do not deserve to be spoken of in the same breath as previous domestic title and European Cup double-winning sides.
Definitely, no where near our PL & CL double winning sides!

vkd

Supports
liverpool

Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

The game against Newcastle will be pulled back for Saturday for sure. It was already confirmed that they were waiting for the result

of our away tie vs Porto.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

Barcelona (a) Wednesday 1st May
Newcastle (a) Saturday 4th may
Barcelona (h) Tuesday 7th may
Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

Confirmed by UEFA and the Premier League

vkd

Supports
liverpool
I don't want to sound like a prick but let's say we get the double. This will certainly be a side getting way over 91 pts and that is Fergie's United absolute best.

This will all be accomplished while battling with a 100 point City team managed by Guardiola with a blank cheque in his pocket.

In Europe we would be making the next step after failing miserably last season in the Final, so, all in all, there is a decent case for argument.

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
Everyone keeps harping on about Liverpool aren't that good but they really are! They have a great chance to reach the champions league final for the second season running and are on course to hit more points in the Premier League than United have EVER managed in a single season.

Belittle Liverpool's results and title credentials all you want but they're a bloody good side and don't look like they're going anywhere for a while. I can see City crumbling now, they'll be mentally fecked and emotionally raw so could see them drawing with both Spurs & United. If that happens, Liverpool aren't dropping points from here on in.

I know this is a United forum and I'm backing Liverpool purely because I hate the fact City have just bought everything they've won, but some of you really need to take your United tinted specs off. Yes, they've had luck this season (As has every title winning side) but they're a consistent machine capable of beating anyone.

Should Ole and the board be putting everything down to luck? "Oh they've been really lucky this season they won't be as good next season, we won't strengthen heavily cause Pickford won't drop the ball onto Origi's head next time". It's best to acknowledge how good they are, address it and improve to catch them as quickly as possible.

Buchan

Barcelona (a) Wednesday 1st May
Newcastle (a) Saturday 4th may
Barcelona (h) Tuesday 7th may
Spurs / Ajax (CL final )

Confirmed by UEFA and the Premier League
That Newcastle fixture looks more perilous now all the same. Klopp will have to rotate with the Barcelona second leg on the horizon. Will Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Clyne, Moreno and Lovren have the bottle to get the job done with that huge pressure on them to succeed? Time will tell...

TRUERED89

Everyone keeps harping on about Liverpool aren't that good but they really are! They have a great chance to reach the champions league final for the second season running and are on course to hit more points in the Premier League than United have EVER managed in a single season.

Belittle Liverpool's results and title credentials all you want but they're a bloody good side and don't look like they're going anywhere for a while. I can see City crumbling now, they'll be mentally fecked and emotionally raw so could see them drawing with both Spurs & United. If that happens, Liverpool aren't dropping points from here on in.

I know this is a United forum and I'm backing Liverpool purely because I hate the fact City have just bought everything they've won, but some of you really need to take your United tinted specs off. Yes, they've had luck this season (As has every title winning side) but they're a consistent machine capable of beating anyone.

Should Ole and the board be putting everything down to luck? "Oh they've been really lucky this season they won't be as good next season, we won't strengthen heavily cause Pickford won't drop the ball onto Origi's head next time". It's best to acknowledge how good they are, address it and improve to catch them as quickly as possible.
Liverpool 09 was arguably better with Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano, Hypia, Carragher. This current Liverpool side is good but not great they've had an easy run in, in the CL so far. A pensioner Munich side and a pathetic Porto side almost as bad as us defensively!

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
That Newcastle fixture looks more perilous now all the same. Klopp will have to rotate with the Barcelona second leg on the horizon. Will Shaqiri, Sturridge, Origi, Lallana, Clyne, Moreno and Lovren have the bottle to get the job done with that huge pressure on them to succeed? Time will tell...
Not a Liverpool player.
We have some decent options now and Oxlade-Chamberlain may well make it back for the run in as well. We've shown numerous times his season that we have the bottle (even Gary Neville has admitted as much) bu if we don't win anything, it'll be because we weren't quite good enough, not a lack of bottle

Buchan

Not a Liverpool player.
We have some decent options now and Oxlade-Chamberlain may well make it back for the run in as well. We've shown numerous times his season that we have the bottle (even Gary Neville has admitted as much) bu if we don't win anything, it'll be because we weren't quite good enough, not a lack of bottle
You’re right. I’d forgotten that (despite still thinking it was a batshit mental gamble for Klopp to take at the time).

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
My bet is for Barca or Ajax to win the CL and City to win the PL.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
You’re right. I’d forgotten that (despite still thinking it was a batshit mental gamble for Klopp to take at the time).
It was a gamble but we have a few options to cover now that Gomez is coming back from injury as well. Hoping we won't need cover though and our first 11 stay fit. We're going to need them all firing to win anything this season

DAV771

Supports
Newport County
Liverpool 09 was arguably better with Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Torres, Mascherano, Hypia, Carragher. This current Liverpool side is good but not great they've had an easy run in, in the CL so far. A pensioner Munich side and a pathetic Porto side almost as bad as us defensively!
I'd disagree with the squad comparison. The front 3 and back 5 are currently miles ahead of the '09 side in my opinion. Obviously Mascherano, Gerrard, Alonso is a better midfield but overall I'd say this is a more balanced squad and probably Liverpool's best of the PL era. They've had a relatively simple couple of knockout rounds in the Champions League but if they are to win it they will have had to get past Bayern & Barca over 2 legs (not easy whoever you are) and managed to scrape out of a difficult group with Napoli & PSG, not as easy a CL run as it could have been.

The worry is how they will strengthen next year? I can't see Liverpool getting 95+ points next season but I'd be equally surprised to see City do it for a third year in a row. If Liverpool win one of the two comps they're left in, I'd expect them to kick on and win more in the coming years. On the other hand, imagine finishing 2nd in the league on 97 points and then losing the CL final, could be absolutely soul crushing and see them fall back like last time they challenged for the big ones.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I'd disagree with the squad comparison. The front 3 and back 5 are currently miles ahead of the '09 side in my opinion. Obviously Mascherano, Gerrard, Alonso is a better midfield but overall I'd say this is a more balanced squad and probably Liverpool's best of the PL era. They've had a relatively simple couple of knockout rounds in the Champions League but if they are to win it they will have had to get past Bayern & Barca over 2 legs (not easy whoever you are) and managed to scrape out of a difficult group with Napoli & PSG, not as easy a CL run as it could have been.

The worry is how they will strengthen next year? I can't see Liverpool getting 95+ points next season but I'd be equally surprised to see City do it for a third year in a row. If Liverpool win one of the two comps they're left in, I'd expect them to kick on and win more in the coming years. On the other hand, imagine finishing 2nd in the league on 97 points and then losing the CL final, could be absolutely soul crushing and see them fall back like last time they challenged for the big ones.
Last time we challenged for one of the big prizes was last season and we've pushed on from there. We're guaranteed to be in the Champions League again next season and our recruitment will be stronger for it. I dont think we'll fall away like we did after 2002, 2009 and 2014

xtal191

I'm convinced Liverpool will do the double now :( I think Barca will beat them in the first leg but Liverpool will give them a hiding at Anfield. Also think us or Spurs will get a result against City.

Last edited by a moderator:

el3mel

Time to change thread title I guess.

City domestic treble vs Liverpool double?