City Quadruple or Liverpool Prem winners - what is worse?

Maticmaker

The worrying thing about this question is that we are concentrating on our past, but about the possible future for City and Liverpool? Not a healthy frame of mind in my book!

One of the things SAF always said and Ole has taken up the mantra, "stop worrying about yesterday, win or lose, and start to concentrate on tomorrow", good advice, think we should stick to it!

tenpoless

How is this a question? this is like asking do you prefer to stop breathing or listen to Michael Owen commentary for three days nonstop.
Both means death. Slow, painful, avoidable death.

City won Carling and will win the PL. Liverpool will win feck all. That's all.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah man, city are a plastic club, always will be. They will have a barren spell once Pep decks off, and he will

Liverpool are our historical rivals and whilst many of you are decent lads there is a section of your fans who are scumbags - singing through tributes to dead people, doing airplane signs etc

That and you’re the biggest bunch of slabbering feckers when you’re winning
They won 2 league titles without Pep. They are here to stay and the more trophies they win, the longer they will continue "staying".

I believe that City is the only club who can surpass United as the biggest English club in the next 20 years (assuming no other clubs get purchased by someone even richer). They are stockpiling kids as fans as all over the world, and those kids will grow up.

Judas

Open to offers
Yeah I can't see a baren spell for City when Pep goes. too much money and already way too much quality for that to happen. They won't win it every season, no one will in the PL, but they're obviously going nowhere.

Westlie

To many of my friends are LFC-supporters, and the non-winning streak is far more important than whatever City does.

Not only that, but i made quite a few bets with the mentioned friends in december, so I have a serious amount of beer and whisky coming my way if they dont win. And the opposite if they do. Easy choice.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They won 2 league titles without Pep. They are here to stay and the more trophies they win, the longer they will continue "staying".

I believe that City is the only club who can surpass United as the biggest English club in the next 20 years (assuming no other clubs get purchased by someone even richer). They are stockpiling kids as fans as all over the world, and those kids will grow up.
I think even that is too small of a timefrime. They need to catch up on 17 titles, 3 CL's and a few FA Cups and that simply won't happen.

You can reasonably predict what will happen in the next few years, but looking forward 20 odd years is impossible. Look at Utd's trophy count 20 years ago, or where Chelsea and City were in the league table.

Thee shouldn't be any fear yet that they will ever overtake United, but it does surprise me that a fecking quadruple would be taken this lightly by a lot of United fans. It'd be the greatest feat ever accomplished by an English team as far as I know.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's quite the unpleasant choice but Liverpool winning the league is still worse.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that regardless of what City do, they're still just City in my mind.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think even that is too small of a timefrime. They need to catch up on 17 titles, 3 CL's and a few FA Cups and that simply won't happen.

You can reasonably predict what will happen in the next few years, but looking forward 20 odd years is impossible. Look at Utd's trophy count 20 years ago, or where Chelsea and City were in the league table.

Thee shouldn't be any fear yet that they will ever overtake United, but it does surprise me that a fecking quadruple would be taken this lightly by a lot of United fans. It'd be the greatest feat ever accomplished by an English team as far as I know.
They don't need to win more than United (total wise) to become the No.1 club in the land. United was considered the biggest club in England even 10 years ago, when we were trailing Liverpool in league titles (and we still have less European Cups than you). Simply putting, there is weight in trophies and the more time passes, the less it is relevant for today.

If they continue winning shitload of trophies, they will get so many young fans. And when they grow, they will have more fans than us. They will spend money in them, and so they'll get higher revenues, attendances etc. It all depends on success.

Denis_unwise

True, but aren't you worried some of you are burying their heads in the sand a bit too much?

City might be starting a dynasty here. They already have more League Cups than you have, although granted they don't count for much. It's a realistic possibility that they'll win 5 or 6 Premier Leagues in one decade (2012-2022). They'd still be a country mile behind you in total Premier Leagues, but add in a quadruple this year, potentially another CL in a few years, some domestic cups here and there, ... I agree that it's nothing to worry about at this moment, but deny reality too long and you might be in for a rude awakening in 10-20 years.
This is the zenith for City. Pep has already said he will not be building a dynasty. His methods only work for a finite amount of time before players become tired of his demanding nature & need a new voice. The whole project was built around bringing in Pep who would in turn deliver the CL. This was always likely viewed as a 5 year project. I think Pep signed on for 3 years to give himself a way out if thing's didn't go his way.

The next 2 seasons are their best chance of achieving the CL due to the traditional super powers being weaker than they have in a long time. If they fail to win the CL in the next 2 years it's going to take another huge outlay to get them competing again as they will be losing Silva, Aguero & Fernandinho, Pep will likely be gone too.

They have been very lucky in regards the PL as the other top 6 have had major problems on & off the pitch. We are only just on the way back after hiring 3 managers totally unsuited to the club. Liverpool have only just built a team that's good in all areas. Spurs have had to fund the new stadium. Chelsea are in a perpetual boom & bust cycle & Arsenal are just coming out of the Wenger era. The top 6 is now becoming more competitive than ever before. If any team can win 4 PL from the next 10 they will have done very well.

Acole9

Outstanding
Award for most predictable thread of the year goes to... Does this even need answering?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This is the zenith for City. Pep has already said he will not be building a dynasty. His methods only work for a finite amount of time before players become tired of his demanding nature & need a new voice. The whole project was built around bringing in Pep who would in turn deliver the CL. This was always likely viewed as a 5 year project. I think Pep signed on for 3 years to give himself a way out if thing's didn't go his way.

The next 2 seasons are their best chance of achieving the CL due to the traditional super powers being weaker than they have in a long time. If they fail to win the CL in the next 2 years it's going to take another huge outlay to get them competing again as they will be losing Silva, Aguero & Fernandinho, Pep will likely be gone too.

They have been very lucky in regards the PL as the other top 6 have had major problems on & off the pitch. We are only just on the way back after hiring 3 managers totally unsuited to the club. Liverpool have only just built a team that's good in all areas. Spurs have had to fund the new stadium. Chelsea are in a perpetual boom & bust cycle & Arsenal are just coming out of the Wenger era. The top 6 is now becoming more competitive than ever before. If any team can win 4 PL from the next 10 they will have done very well.
All wishful thinking if you ask me. Laporte, Stones, Mendy, B. Silva, Sterling are all 24 years old. Sane is 23, Gabriel Jesus is 21, Ederson is still young for a goalkeeper.

They'll have to replace a few key players, yes, but they are here to stay and won't be going anywhere in the next decade. They have everything in place to perennially compete and obviously more than enough spending power to buy new players. I agree that any team would do well to win 4 Premier Leagues in 10 years, yeah, but City are the current favourite, will most likely stay the favourite for next season as well and will keep racking up trophies left right and centre in the foreseeable future imo.

Miscemayl

Prefer City to win everything over Liverpool winning anything.

No one cares about City winning, not many even card they won their first trophy.

Negan

City winning the quadruple is easily more tolerable.

It would be forgotten about within a month.

Liverpool fans are still banging on about Istanbul. Imagine what they would be like still talking about that one league title win in 30 years time. No fecking thank you.

I want Liverpool to win nothing.

Gator Nate

City are favorites in both domestic comps. If they don't win the league it goes to Liverpool. In which case City go hell for leather for the CL. The result? The normal bland happy summer for the 'unaffiliated'. Something bordering on a human rights violation for the rest of us.
Oh, I think they win the league, but I don't think they win the CL. As for the FA Cup, we (yes, I did put unaffiliated when I joined and I haven't figured out how to change it) still have a say in that and I do believe that City has shown vulnerability.

Devil81

Is this even a question wtf? OP's location says it all. I am not even from Manchester but I grow up hating the Dippers and I'm well aware of the massive rivalry between United and Liverpool. I'd even take us missing out on top 4 if this means Liverpool won't win the league.
I live a couple of miles from the ground and I can't bear the thought of City bettering our treble.

What you gotta say about that?

Fair enough it's a nightmare if the dippers win it but the reality is it's going to happen eventually during my life time. I was at least hoping I'd never see a team match or better our clubs treble success.

It's also a good tool to shoot down the scousers and City fans with.

Kapardin

Not just a Quad, but I'd even prefer City winning back-to-back Quads. Anything's better than Liverpool winning the title.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I truly don't care as either would be deserved on merit.
The only thing that I am interested in is when it is Manchester United that are in that position.

Coxy

Think I'm probably in the minority here - but for me City getting the Quadruple. I hate Liverpool, but at least they have a proper history. I can't stand City as one of the oil clubs, so for me, they are worse.

SirAF

Ageist
City winning the quadruple is easily more tolerable.

It would be forgotten about within a month.

Liverpool fans are still banging on about Istanbul. Imagine what they would be like still talking about that one league title win in 30 years time. No fecking thank you.

I want Liverpool to win nothing.
This guy gets it.

manunited1919

If you want to make it a tough question, keep in mind we still must play City. If beating City means we get top 4 spot AND Liverpool win the league, but losing to City means we end up in Europa League AND Liverpool doesn’t win the league, which would you want?

It is a tough question, but for me it’s always about United first.

SirAF

Ageist
If you want to make it a tough question, keep in mind we still must play City. If beating City means we get top 4 spot AND Liverpool win the league, but losing to City means we end up in Europa League AND Liverpool doesn’t win the league, which would you want?

It is a tough question, but for me it’s always about United first.
It’s not tough at all! Bluemoon all the way.

Canagel

those of you that prefer City quadruple don't want us to win FA Cup this year? (which will also bring us level with Arsenals 13 btw.)

SirAF

Ageist
those of you that prefer City quadruple don't want us to win FA Cup this year? (which will also bring us level with Arsenals 13 btw.)
Would you accept liverpool winning the league if that meant United getting another cup?

SirAF

Ageist
liverpool doesnt have to win the league. city for PL and United for the FA Cup.
neither the two above outcomes (City quadruple or Liverpool title) is tolerable and probably neither will happen.
Yeah, naturally but that unlikely hypothetical was the question at hand in this thread.

Wb12345

Got a feeling Liverpool will win the premiership and Man city will win champions League

Last edited by a moderator:

redasian

A Leicester title is far different from a City Quadruple, for one. And City certainly has the resources to build upon that success. The point is not instant elevation but lending strength to an already ongoing process. I am in Asia as well and you could say 10 years ago you'd be hard-pressed to find a fan wearing a City jersey but the situation's changing now. It may be "plastic" but still revenue is revenue and a wider base begets further strength.

And by your logic, one single title will not elevate Liverpool anywhere so what's the problem in them winning it?
A single title for Liverpool will make the score 20-19 and that doesn't bode well.

In any case, City will remain a force for the foreseeable future and will keep "building", but my point is that it will take them decades to get anywhere close to us, while Liverpool are already pretty close.

Also I'm not from the UK but I guess Manchester locals would much rather see their city in general do well rather than their historic city rivals (beyond football, Manchester and Liverpool the cities have an ongoing rivalry in and of themselves dating back to the 19th century).

tomaldinho1

It's quite the unpleasant choice but Liverpool winning the league is still worse.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that regardless of what City do, they're still just City in my mind.
Yh I agree with this, it doesn't make sense but I'd rather anything than Liverpool win the league.

freddie the red

Imagine our away guys and girls shouting "United" during a tribute to, say, Shankly, Paisley or Fagan at Anfield.......

City.

Winning stuff using a foreign country's money means zip!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Both would make me vomit. I’d rather Liverpool won the league to be honest.

freddie the red

They don't need to win more than United (total wise) to become the No.1 club in the land. United was considered the biggest club in England even 10 years ago, when we were trailing Liverpool in league titles (and we still have less European Cups than you). Simply putting, there is weight in trophies and the more time passes, the less it is relevant for today.

If they continue winning shitload of trophies, they will get so many young fans. And when they grow, they will have more fans than us. They will spend money in them, and so they'll get higher revenues, attendances etc. It all depends on success.
Mate, I respect your opinion but City will NEVER be a bigger club than United.....they might have the richest owners but they've been winning trophies for 7 years already and they still can't fill the Emptihad.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mate, I respect your opinion but City will NEVER be a bigger club than United.....they might have the richest owners but they've been winning trophies for 7 years already and they still can't fill the Emptihad.
Things change when you're successful (and when you are not). 10-15 years ago, only Real Madrid was considered a bigger club than Milan, now Milan is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. City are winning titles, they are favourites to win UCL and they are getting a shitload of new fans. Nothing is set in stone to 'guarantee' that they won't surpass us. If we continue going to nowhere while they clearly have a strong vision (+ money), they will surpass as, same as we surpassed Liverpool. Of course, it will take time, and I hope that United finally finds some sense, but you never know.

In a related point, capitalizing words like when Donald Trump tweets don't give more value to them.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Not that I’m being picky, but how come my thread on this got moved to the Football Forum, along with some charming piss off references because I asked the same question, and was also told it was in the wrong place. Which I don’t think it was as it happens because it’s about how United fans feel.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Would honestly prefer Liverpoo tol win the league compared to city's quadruple. Sure they are our hated rivals, but they are getting their succes the right way and not just being financially doped by sheiks. Also City's quadruple would overshadow our 99 treble. So I gotta just the Liverpool option. With Ole at the wheel and hopefully backed in the transfer market we will be challenging next year.

Last edited:

freddie the red

In a related point, capitalizing words like when Donald Trump tweets don't give more value to them.
You had me giving you credit for standing your position and debating with a well thought out and reasoned response, but, you ruined it by deciding you were going to tell me how to post and comparing my choices to somebody who others criticise heavily.
Don't bother replying because I'm not going to bother again.

SungSam7

Why we all nervous about the quad? We will win the CL by beating PSG in a much better fashion than that of Barcelona 2 years ago! Lukaku is going to show the world why we paid so much for him by bagging a hat trick and Sanchez getting 1 to kill their away goal. Final score on aggregate 4-3.

And in other news Ireland will win the Euros next year....

Stookie

Nurse bell end
If either happen one thing is for sure we’ll never hear the end of it. Personally I think if the treble was superseded by the quad that would be worse. Although I couldn’t stand the thought of Liverpool lifting the prem either I think this will inevitably happen sooner or later.