CL 19/20 Group Stages: Week 6 (Last Round)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If Liverpool lose in Austria they're done for unless Genk pull off a shock win in Naples.

van Hooijdonk

Messi magic again at the Camp Nou. I dread the day when this magician retires from football.

DoomSlayer

Yeah I don't know what has happend to him. He can still move, but his passing and shooting has declined so much. I guess Ole is not great at getting the best out of him for some reason.
Bring back Jose, I say. We have Maguire now so we will probably challenge for the tile with him at the helm.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Koulibaly with a monster performance according to many fans that were watching the match.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Did not watch the games but I guess Klopp went on about how „Napoli always set up defensively when they play against me@ afterwards.
The press in Austria keeps pushing the final game pretty hard but from my experience RB Salzburg have a lousy crowd so that’s a plus for Liverpool.
Plastic club.

Supports
Ajax
Not a bad result yesterday for Ajax, sadly had little time to watch (sick baby) and only saw the last 8 minutes or so. Seems not to have been the best match and from the summaries Lille seemed to have had a lot of chances, but well defended by Ajax and Onana in particular combined with some horrible luck and efforts on Lille's part. Speaking of luck, saw the highlights for Valencia Chelsea... How did Valencia not completely trash them given the chances they've had? Chelsea's been lucking out throughout this CL campaign so far with free points, I don't think they really deserve to go through to the next round. Lille only has one point in the group stages so far, but maybe they can pick up some points against Chelsea still, they deserve a bit more IMO.

Anyway. Ahead of this league I would not have wagered Leipzig to be safe one match ahead. Hope Ajax can join the list. At least one more point lads, one more point! Would be a massive disappointment if they end up not qualifying due to that insane double red card against Chelsea while leading 4 to 1.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not a bad result yesterday for Ajax, sadly had little time to watch (sick baby) and only saw the last 8 minutes or so. Seems not to have been the best match and from the summaries Lille seemed to have had a lot of chances, but well defended by Ajax and Onana in particular combined with some horrible luck and efforts on Lille's part. Speaking of luck, saw the highlights for Valencia Chelsea... How did Valencia not completely trash them given the chances they've had? Chelsea's been lucking out throughout this CL campaign so far with free points, I don't think they really deserve to go through to the next round. Lille only has one point in the group stages so far, but maybe they can pick up some points against Chelsea still, they deserve a bit more IMO.

Anyway. Ahead of this league I would not have wagered Leipzig to be safe one match ahead. Hope Ajax can join the list. At least one more point lads, one more point! Would be a massive disappointment if they end up not qualifying due to that insane double red card against Chelsea while leading 4 to 1.
If, buts and maybe's work both ways.

If Barkley didn't miss the pen against Valencia at Stamford Bridge, If Cesar's goal stood against Ajax, if Lillie took their chances yesterday. Also Ajax wasn't 4-1 up at the point of the red cards it was 4-2 with a penalty (which is next to a certain goal with Jorginho over it) to come.

Furthermore it's not like we didn't have chances ourselves, the period after Kova scored alone we created enough chances to kill the game and kept messing up the final pass in the counter attack while 1-2 up.

But yeah I'll give you Valencia deserved to win yesterday, however we deserved the win against them at Stamford Bridge so playing that game we're two points down on what we actually deserve over the two games.

Supports
Ajax
If, buts and maybe's work both ways.

If Barkley didn't miss the pen against Valencia at Stamford Bridge, If Cesar's goal stood against Ajax, if Lillie took their chances yesterday. Also Ajax wasn't 4-1 up at the point of the red cards it was 4-2 with a penalty (which is next to a certain goal with Jorginho over it) to come.
True was 2-4, but I'd say that it shouldn't have become 3-4 at that point in time (no pen should have been given, that was an utterly retarded decision and a free kick at that distance would likely done little). 3-4 might have happened with ten players certainly, but I very much doubt Chelsea would have scored twice against ten Ajax players given their lackluster performance against nine in fieldplay. I'd even say it'd been likely Ajax would have scored as well given their form and performance in creating chances with just nine players.

Anyway, that's all speculation.

Furthermore it's not like we didn't have chances ourselves, the period after Kova scored alone we created enough chances to kill the game and kept messing up the final pass in the counter attack while 1-2 up.
I've noticed the finishing quality bit is a bit off for Chelsea, isn't it? :/

But yeah I'll give you Valencia deserved to win yesterday, however we deserved the win against them at Stamford Bridge so playing that game we're two points down on what we actually deserve over the two games.
I thought that was a fairly even match, could have gone either way back then (judging from the highlights anyway, didn't see the entire match). So fair enough point.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Messi, Alba, Pique not in the travelling squad, good chance for Inter to qualify.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If Napoli/Salzburg win, wouldn't Liverpool end up third in the group? Salzburg would be level on points but with a better GD.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If Napoli/Salzburg win, wouldn't Liverpool end up third in the group? Salzburg would be level on points but with a better GD.
I think it's head to head isn't it, so if Salzburg wins they will be through unless it's a 5-4 win.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ah, ok. Dangerous terrority for Liverpool, they don't have qualification wrapped up yet.
Wasn't it the same last year (or the year before)? They were in danger going into the lash game, came out on top and obviously went on to win the trophy.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't it the same last year (or the year before)? They were in danger going into the lash game, came out on top and obviously went on to win the trophy.
Yeah, needed to win 1-0 or with two goals difference so it was a very risky affair, although it was at Anfield which makes a massive difference for us. With our average away form in the CL and Salzburg’s home reputation, I’m not that confident for tonight.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, needed to win 1-0 or with two goals difference so it was a very risky affair, although it was at Anfield which makes a massive difference for us. With our average away form in the CL and Salzburg’s home reputation, I’m not that confident for tonight.
That was a crazy night. Hoping for a goal but defending with our lives. Certainly hardens you up for the rest of the competion as we saw. And as Real Madrid experienced the season before.

Tonight I think Klopp's strategy will be to blast as many goals as possible. Concede a few too no doubt. Our front three have had a good rest and are finally being challenged by our squaddies. No more room for indifferent performances from Hendo, Salah and Firmino.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Napoli and Liverpool should really advance but their games are tricky and for different reasons.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That was a crazy night. Hoping for a goal but defending with our lives. Certainly hardens you up for the rest of the competion as we saw. And as Real Madrid experienced the season before.
???

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
Who needs what to go through?

TUESDAY 10 DECEMBER

Group E: Salzburg (7pts) v Liverpool (10), Napoli (9) v Genk (1)

• Liverpool will go through if they draw, or if Napoli lose to Genk.
  • Napoli will go through if they draw, or if Salzburg do not beat Liverpool.
  • Salzburg will be through if they beat Liverpool and Napoli does not beat Genk. If Napoli win, Salzburg must beat Liverpool by a better scoreline than the 4-3 by which they lost against them on Matchday 2.
  • Genk will finish fourth
Group F: Internazionale Milano (7) v Barcelona (11), Borussia Dortmund (7) v Slavia Praha (2)
  • Barcelona are through as group winners.
  • Inter will go through if they beat Barcelona, or as long as they finish at least level on points with Dortmund (due to their superior head-to-head goal difference).
  • Dortmund must pick up more points than Inter to finish second.
  • Slavia will finish fourth.
Group G: Lyon (7) v RB Leipzig (10), Benfica (4) v Zenit (7)
  • Leipzig are through and will clinch first place with a draw.
  • Zenit will go through if they beat Benfica and Lyon do not beat Leipzig, or if both games are drawn due to their head-to-head superiority over Lyon, or regardless if Lyon lose.
  • Lyon will go through if they beat Leipzig (when they would also clinch first place), or if they draw and Zenit lose to Benfica.
  • Benfica are unable to finish in the top two. They will finish third if they beat Zenit by a scoreline better than 3-1 and Lyon does not lose, or if they win by any score and Lyon lose to Leipzig.
Group H: Ajax (10) v Valencia (8), Chelsea (8) v LOSC Lille (1)
  • Ajax will go through if they draw, or if Chelsea fail to beat LOSC.
  • Valencia will go through if they beat Ajax, or as long as they finish at least level on points with Chelsea due to their superior head-to-head record.
  • Chelsea will go through if they beat LOSC, or if they draw and Valencia lose to Ajax.
  • LOSC will finish fourth.
Source: UEFA.COM

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
  • Salzburg will be through if they beat Liverpool and Napoli does not beat Genk. If Napoli win, Salzburg must beat Liverpool by a better scoreline than the 4-3 by which they lost against them on Matchday 2.
What does it mean by a better scoreline than 4-3? Is 1-0 considered better?

Say Napoli win, they're on 12 points. Say Salzburg win 1-0. They're on 10 points with Liverpool with the H2H results being 4-3 and 1-0 thus 4-4 on aggregate but Salzburg have the away goal advantage so would surely eliminate Liverpool, right? That's how Celtic qualified for the last 16 when we beat Man United. We lost 3-2 at OT but won 1-0 at home so had the superior H2H due to the away goals.

always_hoping

Can understand why some Liverpool fans are nervous about this game, they have lost 4 of their 5 last away group games in the champions league and are up against a side that are full of goals and could easily have drawn in Anfield.

Liverpool will have only themselves to blame if they don't get out of this group. Dropping 5 points against a 7th place Italian team is why they find themselves in this situation. Salzburg are poor defensively which should help Liverpool get a least a draw out of this game but wouldn't it be some interest if next year we have a Liverpool v Man United Europa league tie..

Paul_Scholes18

Can understand why some Liverpool fans are nervous about this game, they have lost 4 of their 5 last away group games in the champions league and are up against a side that are full of goals and could easily have drawn in Anfield.

Liverpool will have only themselves to blame if they don't get out of this group. Dropping 5 points against a 7th place Italian team is why they find themselves in this situation. Salzburg are poor defensively which should help Liverpool get a least a draw out of this game but wouldn't it be some interest if next year we have a Liverpool v Man United Europa league tie..
Would be great and scary to have them in the Europa league. Us two would be the favorites to win it.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Would be great and scary to have them in the Europa league. Us two would be the favorites to win it.
Definitely enjoyed our first European tie together but would prefer to avoid it this time round. Would be a terrible defence of the CL title.