CL 19/20 Group Stages: Week 6 (Last Round)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It warrants a major team overhaul. Not sacking a manager like Poch.

Seriously, it's all gone mad.
Pochettino does not want to be here for that overhaul so starting a new one with him at the helm would be insanity.

We need a clean slate, and an overhaul led by a new manager who is dedicated to the project.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
You know we're a one-team league and the double is our minimum expectation (not even half joking after the last 7 seasons). That we have a tighter league right now is much down to us being worse than under Jupp and Pep. If you watch us every week it's also much harder to say Kovac is doing excellent and much easier to criticize a lack of clear ideas and tactical variability.
I admit that i watch only highlights of german league. But you score goals, win games, win titles, playing well...
But ok, of course that i will not be smart ass to you about your club. Of course you know better

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Don't be offended but you Bayern fans are demanding bunch, aren't you? He won double last year, doing excellent this year and still you don't like him?
If you compare our team (and performances) with our team just before he took over, you would also want to sack him.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
It warrants a major team overhaul. Not sacking a manager like Poch.

Seriously, it's all gone mad.
He is a great manager and I love him but his time at Spurs is over, it's been clear there have been big problems over the past year which he doesn't seem able to fix. Tonight proved that the players just don't have belief or confidence any more. That's on the manager and you simply can't accept a result like this tonight.

wr8_utd

:'(
Ramos defending is underrated. Yeah he's not perfect but he plays beside 3 players who can't defend or have no positional sense.

Bails them out often in the air and on the ground
Three defenders beside him play with a CB who can't defend or has no positional sense either ;)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@SquishyMcSquish @balaks

Fair enough if he's had this coming and no longer wishes to be there. If he is committed to the rebuild then I think it's madness to get back on the managerial carousel in this new theory that a new manager automatically fixes underlying issues.

And freak results like this happen every now and then.

RooneyLegend

The kind of nonsense you know if you actually follow games and not judge players by their name. Thiago had a great last season but this season he has been bad, just really bad and that's not even debatable and I rate Thiago highly.
So yeah Kimmich is at the moment a CM because noone else, even Thiago, performs there.
After watching that second half do you understand why it's nothing short of nonsense?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
@SquishyMcSquish @balaks

Fair enough if he's had this coming and no longer wishes to be there. If he is committed to the rebuild then I think it's madness to get back on the managerial carousel in this new theory that a new manager automatically fixes underlying issues.

If it came out if the blue then sure ok but this has been coming for a long time. Things have not been right for a year now. There are no signs that things are improving rather they are getting worse.

edcunited1878

Not really, it just shows that Bayern were exceptionally clinical. They made the most of lower probability chances. There’s a reason that results like this are so rare.
There are pitfalls/shortcomings with the data point though. 1.27 xG does not do Bayern any justice or show the very good chances they had, which they did, yes, convert at a much higher rate. There's a massive disconnected when comparing 7 actual goals to 1.27 expected, no?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@SquishyMcSquish @balaks

If as it looks Poch's cycle with this team is over then it'd be much easier for spurs to replace him

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
@SquishyMcSquish @balaks

He's not committed. He hasn't been for a while.

This is a manger who said if he won the CL he would have moved on from the club. I agree that a new manager is no quick fix, but fundamentally I think the Poch era is over and we need to start a rebuild with somebody new.

Classical Mechanic

There are pitfalls/shortcomings with the data point though. 1.27 xG does not do Bayern any justice or show the very good chances they had, which they did, yes, convert at a much higher rate. There's a massive disconnected when comparing 7 actual goals to 1.27 expected, no?
I don’t think so no. It shows that they were exceptionally clinical but if they played again such a result would be highly unlikely. You can look at it as xG doing a great justice to the performance of their attacking players because they profoundly outperformed the average of other players in the same positions. That said, xG is a dispassionate dataset so it shouldn’t be expected to express any kind of idealistic narrative.

binary bot
Just saw the goals in the Spurs match, some of the touches and finishing was unreal. Night and day from last night.

edcunited1878

I don’t think so no. It shows that they were exceptionally clinical but if they played again such a result would be highly unlikely. You can look at it as xG doing a great justice to the performance of their attacking players because they profoundly outperformed the average of other players in the same positions. That said, xG is a dispassionate dataset so it shouldn’t be expected to express any kind of idealistic narrative.
What has Spurs' xG against been like this year compared to Bayern's xG for going into this match? Shipping 7 goals leads to a massive amount of context needed to explain and just saying they were super clinical is not even half the battle.

Classical Mechanic

What has Spurs' xG against been like this year compared to Bayern's xG for going into this match? Shipping 7 goals leads to a massive amount of context needed to explain and just saying they were super clinical is not even half the battle.
Sure, there were lots of defensive errors too that led to the goals too. Spurs xGA this season is 9.31 in the league and they’ve conceded 9 goals so almost average.

RooneyLegend

That second half was a clinic by Bayern. Thiago came on and they took all control of the match while in the first half they had some issues with Spurs' pressing. Their finishing was big time but they did have many opportunities as Spurs scrambled to reduce the deficit.

Both teams looked dire defensively. Good to see Coutinho back on thr pitch given the mess at Barca last season. Just a very very talented footballer. His final ball was off, but he did show of some amazing footwork at times.

Bayern imo cant win the competition cause that level of defending just wont cut it in the knock out stages against A grade attacking opposition. Also they are one attacker short as Coman just doesnt look like what he has in the past.

Paula

Supports
Bayern
That second half was a clinic by Bayern. Thiago came on and they took all control of the match while in the first half they had some issues with Spurs' pressing. Their finishing was big time but they did have many opportunities as Spurs scrambled to reduce the deficit.

Both teams looked dire defensively. Good to see Coutinho back on thr pitch given the mess at Barca last season. Just a very very talented footballer. His final ball was off, but he did show of some amazing footwork at times.

Bayern imo cant win the competition cause that level of defending just wont cut it in the knock out stages against A grade attacking opposition. Also they are one attacker short as Coman just doesnt look like what he has in the past.
That's what i thought as well. Their offensive play is impressive, but they lack of quality in the defense. Also in Bundesliga matches vs smaller teams the look pretty weak. Hope they will improve this, because they actually have the quality of players to do so.

buck3y3nut

Supports
Liverpool
He's not committed. He hasn't been for a while.

This is a manger who said if he won the CL he would have moved on from the club. I agree that a new manager is no quick fix, but fundamentally I think the Poch era is over and we need to start a rebuild with somebody new.
Who would you want to start this rebuild with?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Who would you want to start this rebuild with?
Erik ten Hag would be my favourite choice, purely because Ajax play a really enjoyable brand of football. Howe is another possible option though I'm not fully sold on it.

Allegri maybe? Though not sold on his style, but he'd tighten us up defensively which we really need.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Allegri maybe? Though not sold on his style, but he'd tighten us up defensively which we really need.
Allegri would slot in perfectly imho, Poch’s foundational work on the pitch being over and your club seeming ready to take the next step forward to the elite status.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Erik ten Hag would be my favourite choice, purely because Ajax play a really enjoyable brand of football. Howe is another possible option though I'm not fully sold on it.

If I was a Spurs fan or Everton fan I would like to have someone like Howe managing my team.

I was working so when I arrived and checked the final score was it too much Bayern or is that a sign that this players don’t click more under Pochettino?

Anyway, on another note it looks the Real Madrid cacophony is alive and well @carvajal and @giorno? :lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If I was a Spurs fan or Everton fan I would like to have someone like Howe managing my team.

I was working so when I arrived and checked the final score was it too much Bayern or is that a sign that this players don’t click more under Pochettino?

Anyway, on another note it looks the Real Madrid cacophony is alive and well @carvajal and @giorno? :lol:
You are not fashionable SCP. The most glamorous and cool for 2020 is the Europa League :lol:.
It looks like we'll be walking on the wire all season. Even la liga leadership seems very misleading

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Don't be offended but you Bayern fans are demanding bunch, aren't you? He won double last year, doing excellent this year and still you don't like him?
Basically, if we don't reach the semis and are beaten by either Barca or Real, it's not acceptable to many. You're right. It's a bit embarassing at times, but you get used to the return hate. You wouldn't believe what German fans say about us. Scratch that, you probably would. It's exactly how you'd imagine it to be. Your reaction times a hundred. Arrogant is the word mostly used. Oh, and the German equivalent of cnuts. :)

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Well in the first 35 or so minutes it looked exactly like that.
True, but considering there's really not an abudance of good coaches that speak German and would be willing to coach Bayern, let's stick to this coach for a while and see if we can make him into a good coach that stays longer than 3 years, eh? I'm stick and tired of having a new coach every few years.