CL Draw (Group H): PSG, Manchester United, RB Leipzig, Istanbul Basaksehir

Womp

idiot
Good group. I didn't expect us to go very far in the competition, if I'm being honest. We get to play against some very good sides though. We will go through if we earn it

Yakuza_devils

Very good group. Not because I'm confident we can go through but these are the quality matches that we missed since SAF retired. If we can't win the competition at least we are playing good teams in the CL. I for one will definitely enjoy this group.

We have a fighting chance to finish 2nd over RB. Bring back the glory days!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Or maybe it shows how much of a collective bitch the Caf has become.
I mean, since our last final in 2011 we've been rubbish in the champions league. This year probably won't be any different.

Woziak

Europa League football after Xmas if we are lucky, the cycle is being repeated Which means that the board incompetence will just be highlighted for one more season, the best thing about this group is that next United Manager, Naigelsman or Tuchal will be at least able to see exactly what they will need when one of them ultimately takes the job in summer 2021 !

Nicolarra90

Great group.

We'll measure ourselves against hard teams and if we aren't good enough and get out, we could focus in the league sooner

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Finally the long debated Rashford vs Mbappe can be settled.

We will beat PSG, of course.

Micky Targaryen

Personally I think it’s great that we got a tough group. If we get to the knockouts, then great. If we fail miserably, it should trigger Woodward to get out the mythical war chest.

Matriac

It's a tough group for sure, but I see us winning it, a point ahead of PSG or so. Istanbul in third if they fancy it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Surely we can at least make 3rd? :lol:

God I hope I haven't jinxed it ... :houllier:
Probably can, but at what cost?

CL is a good comp for good teams to rotate, if they qualify early then they can use the remaining games to catch their breath. Most first and second seeds usually plough through and secure it fast.

But with so many good teams on the CL often it goes to the 5th or 6th game, and that's taxing on the campaign as you need to play with full team in an already congested season

Number32

PSG, Leipzig, and Basaksehir are all sugar daddy football clubs. UEFA already anticipated this, that's why they chose us instead of Man City.

United and Pool can't play in the same night? That's sound BS.

Skeezix

Whether we go through the group stage or not, it will be a very exciting sequence of games for us. I am excited about it. The boys will be motivated and up to the challenge considering PSG and Leipzig went far into the previous CL season.

Langers7274

If Utd can get their defending and football back to post lockdown then I don't think we'll have any problems getting out of this group. Yes, PSG are favourites but how many times have we seen their egos overtake their football, hence why they've never won the CL under the Arabs, PSG also made RB look very ordinary in their semi back in August, it's all to play for. Fernandes, Pogba, VDB, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, we've enough talent here to cause any club in world football problems if we play to potential!!

Reactions: Sultan

tombombadil

Probably can, but at what cost?

CL is a good comp for good teams to rotate, if they qualify early then they can use the remaining games to catch their breath. Most first and second seeds usually plough through and secure it fast.

But with so many good teams on the CL often it goes to the 5th or 6th game, and that's taxing on the campaign as you need to play with full team in an already congested season
That is a good question. We don't seem to have the squad depth so it becomes a concern the longer it drags on. It looks like there really is no good answer to this.

Bwuk

It’ll come down to the games vs Leipzig.

If we can’t take 6 points off Baka then we shouldn’t even be concerned about the group. Demba Ba, Chadli, Rafael etc all play for them.

romufc

Everyone is scared because of the start we have had to the season, as long as we win all our home games, I think we should be fine. I am alot more optimistic than some on here.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

If we can’t take 6 points off Baka then we shouldn’t even be concerned about the group. Demba Ba, Chadli, Rafael etc all play for them.
With us it's never that easy.

PSG would batter us on paper, but in real life it'll probably be quite tight. Ditto with Leipzig or Basaksehir could be banana leaf.

On paper, everything remains equal 3 teams will get 6 pts versus the Istanbul champion, but I doubted it, you never know these days. Even assuming all 3 top teams win the Goal difference will favor PSG

Drz

That's a very difficult group for us but an amazing challenge for our young squad. They get to test themselves versus last year's finalist, the hip German team and travelling to Turkey is always difficult (though the atmosphere should be less intimidating under the current context).
Another test for Ole :)

Hoboman

Great group with strong opponents. Each game is going to be very difficult, but this is what CL football is all about.

stubie

For all those who wished we had an easier group

Remember 2005, 2011 & 2015

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
When’s the first round of fixtures?

flappyjay

Toughest group but that's probably a good thing as we're better sitting deep and hitting teams on the counter than actually trying to break down opponents.
I guess you haven't watched us post lockdown.

Himannv

I guess you haven't watched us post lockdown.
I have. We're fine when we sit back ourselves with our midfield behind the ball. We're more vulnerable when we're trying to chase the game or trying to work our way forward. Some of our play isn't quick and press resistant enough (excluding VDB who is arguably too press resistant).

Siorac

I mean, we just lost to Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago and got completely played off the park by Brighton last week. We can easily drop points against just about any team, really.

murali_red

Negative Nancy.

Do yourselves a favor and stay out of anything United related and enjoy life. If that's too much an ask then learn to be patient. Get well soon and that's the last free advice you'll get from me.
Yes it has been miserable few months and that is because of the owners and management, not because of Ole and team. I am doing good and don't need your free advice.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So with the CL fixture dates being announced, our fixtures after the international break until the end of the group stage are as follows:
  • Newcastle (a) Oct 17
  • PSG (a)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leipzig (h)
  • Arsenal (h)
  • Istanbul (a)
  • Everton (a) Nov 7
  • International break
  • West Brom (h) Nov 21
  • Istanbul (h)
  • Southampton (a)
  • PSG (h)
  • West Ham (a)
  • Leipzig (a)
  • City (h) Dec 12
All Saturday or Sunday and then Tuesday or Wednesday. This upcoming month will be absolutely brutal, but then the 2nd half of that being key for champions league progression.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So with the CL fixture dates being announced, our fixtures after the international break until the end of the group stage are as follows:
  • Newcastle (a) Oct 17
  • PSG (a)
  • Chelsea (h)
  • Leipzig (h)
  • Arsenal (h)
  • Istanbul (a)
  • Everton (a) Nov 7
  • International break
  • West Brom (h) Nov 21
  • Istanbul (h)
  • Southampton (a)
  • PSG (h)
  • West Ham (a)
  • Leipzig (a)
  • City (h) Dec 12
All Saturday or Sunday and then Tuesday or Wednesday. This upcoming month will be absolutely brutal, but then the 2nd half of that being key for champions league progression.
Good luck to the 14 players Ole trusts during that run :lol: :lol: