CL secured but still lots of work to be done. What positions do we need to improve this summer/autumn?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Everyone agrees that we need RW, DM, CB

I would have thought high class DM and CB are harder to come by via academy, so that's where we should be spending our money.

croadyman

Everyone agrees that we need RW, DM, CB

I would have thought high class DM and CB are harder to come by via academy, so that's where we should be spending our money.
Not even thinking about a DM until next summer because pretty confident Ole wants to go with what we have got next season, don't agree with that decision but Ole seems determined to try this out first before deciding whether or not to go into the market.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The annoying part of all this Sancho stuff is that you really want us to be more proactive with transfers, and we just don't seem to be. You see Chelsea agree deals for Ziyech in January to join in the summer, Werner very quickly, Pulisic last year before the season. United has rumors all year for a player and then spends months chasing or negotiating or whatever else, but takes way too long to complete whatever signing we want to do (that should've been sorted long ago). You look at City. They go and get Ferran Torres and Ake for cheap very quickly, as they were likely negotiating for a while and had things set. United could spend a while negotiating for Sancho, and then pull out with options like Ferran Torres, Thiago, etc all gone, when if we were more proactive, we would have it sorted out before. Instead, it feels like we scramble every window and don't do what we need to do in the end.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Long term, the obvious issue is replacing Matic. Every other player in our current best XI have years of prime football ahead, injuries allowing.

I have to say I'm fascinated by attacking fullbacks, and since AWB is so good defensively I'd love to see the world's best attacking LB bombing down the left. We need Rashford to move inside the box into striker positions anyway, his success as a wide forward has all come playing counter attacking football and relying on speed. Or we need to find a way to counter attack in some games to take advantage of him.

After that I would like to see a right forward/winger that can dribble past people and has the vision to play balls into packed defenders or over them.

Looks like Henderson can take over for De Gea if he doesn't shape up.

croadyman

Long term, the obvious issue is replacing Matic. Every other player in our current best XI have years of prime football ahead, injuries allowing.

I have to say I'm fascinated by attacking fullbacks, and since AWB is so good defensively I'd love to see the world's best attacking LB bombing down the left. We need Rashford to move inside the box into striker positions anyway, his success as a wide forward has all come playing counter attacking football and relying on speed. Or we need to find a way to counter attack in some games to take advantage of him.

After that I would like to see a right forward/winger that can dribble past people and has the vision to play balls into packed defenders or over them.

Looks like Henderson can take over for De Gea if he doesn't shape up.
Alphonso Davies & Sancho then

E-mal

What we need to do this season is sign Sancho and Upemacano and see if we can sell players to raise funds for Grealish.

croadyman

What we need to do this season is sign Sancho and Upemacano and see if we can sell players to raise funds for Grealish.
Could easily see us waiting until next summer for him as that is when that release clause is activated if he is indeed the top target and not Pau Torres who has been mooted by Romano & Hirst recently, in regards to Jack it's really going to come down to whether or not he's willing to push for the move this summer.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not sure about Immobile.
Didn’t he have a bad spell at Dortmund? I

Paul_Scholes18

We really need to boost our attacking depth mostly. Unless we hope that Lingard will turn into a top player again and that Mata still has legs that works.
I also really want a left back.
I would keep Smalling and keep our central defense as it is.
Matic can still do the job in midfield. Fred and Mctominay to cover and hopefully finding form again.

Anders80

Crazy everyone is replacing Lindelof. Maguire gives me the willys more than Lindelof.
I have to agree here. Sometimes I think people just want to keep whoever had the highest price tag. Maguire was hastily made captain though so Ole won't be replacing him already for sure. I'd much rather upgrade the DM than the CB. Our defense is pretty good already but that's definitely the weakest link right now imo.

Other than that I'm hoping DDG gets his sh!t together or that'd be my second defensive upgrade after a DM.

E-mal

I have to agree here. Sometimes I think people just want to keep whoever had the highest price tag. Maguire was hastily made captain though so Ole won't be replacing him already for sure. I'd much rather upgrade the DM than the CB. Our defense is pretty good already but that's definitely the weakest link right now imo.

Other than that I'm hoping DDG gets his sh!t together or that'd be my second defensive upgrade after a DM.
Upamecano is a special talent and a good player already. If there's opportunity to sign him, let's do it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Not even thinking about a DM until next summer because pretty confident Ole wants to go with what we have got next season, don't agree with that decision but Ole seems determined to try this out first before deciding whether or not to go into the market.
I'd say DM is what we need most. Pogba is incredible when Kanté is behind him for France. That's what we need. Matic is not all that any more, and Scottie has a long way to go. Fred looks like a joke in that position.

bsCallout

I fancy us to move some players on to fund the purchase of Gabriel.

CL qual provides the funds for Sanchos upfront costs.

I'd be chuffed with that.