CL spot and Liverpool PL title vs. playing in EL and Liverpool losing title

Maticmaker

Its not difficult to work out, there can be no real trade -off of any description, if the season cannot be completed then it has to be declared void, if not all hell will let loose over promotion and relegation issues.

It would of course be very hard on potential PL, Championship, L1 and L2 winners, on Liverpool in particular having such a lead, but lets be honest not many United fans will be shedding any tears. If the season is void then all season and cup tickets already sold for the remainder of this season should be credited to next season, either against season tickets or for cup matches.

In the record books season 19/20 will simply shown as 'VOID due to COVID-19 Pandemic'.

If the powers that be cannot bring this pandemic to an end there will be a lot more urgent matters to consider.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't really care about Liverpool winning it or not. They've been running away with it for so long, it feels like it's already happened. Which is preferable than them having a last-gasp Aguero-like moment that would be replayed forever. The league has just sort of meandered towards their title win. No soundbite, no everlasting highlight. That'll do.

Though if they void the season, Liverpool wouldn't be champions but they'd cry injustice for decades to come. That would be insufferable. Leeds missing out on promotion would be hilarious though.

From a purely sporting perspective, I'd rather do what's best for Uniteds interests, and that would be to finish the season. Football requiring international travel should be binned. No more CL or EL this season. Scrap the FA Cup, just play the league games. Finish it and get top 4, or finish 5th and take advantage of City's CL ban.

I think those are the only options though. Complete it or write it off. A current standings decision would be bedlam. The worse the news gets every day, voiding it is looking like the likeliest possibility.

cyril C

If the season gets postponed beyond 30th April then Liverpool won’t be champions.I think the season will be declared null and void if it gets delayed any further....
You can't say that so easily without legal challenges. Let's say England is like Italy today as of April 25, then obviously no matches in May. Let's say it dwell on for another 2 weeks into mid-May then hard decision must be made on whether the game can start on say 1-Jun, closed door or not. If the decision is still no, then finishing will no longer be a viable and ONLY option, alternative option must be explored.

It would also be interesting to see how the situation develop in other nations, because if EPL is the only league that cannot re-start in June or earlier, there will be more pressure on EPL/FA to make quick decision.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The season will restart in just over a month and will be played behind closed doors I'd imagine for at least the first month back. There's no way they will want the next season's start date pushed back. It will cause no end of issues and with the Euros now in summer 2021.

So the season will be finished, Liverpool will sadly win the title but there's a good chance there will be no fans there to celebrate it. I almost think them not being there to soak in every moment will be nearly as funny as it being voided altogether. Whatever happens its going to be a damp squib of a season now.

I'm reading that tickets to Liverpool's remaining home games were changing hands for thousands of pounds. How sad.....chuckle.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The season will restart in just over a month and will be played behind closed doors I'd imagine for at least the first month back. There's no way they will want the next season's start date pushed back. It will cause no end of issues and with the Euros now in summer 2021.

So the season will be finished, Liverpool will sadly win the title but there's a good chance there will be no fans there to celebrate it. I almost think them not being there to soak in every moment will be nearly as funny as it being voided altogether. Whatever happens its going to be a damp squib of a season now.

I'm reading that tickets to Liverpool's remaining home games were changing hands for thousands of pounds. How sad.....chuckle.
Them winning it in front of no people is actually the best outcome :lol:

there is zero chance that there will be top level football in a month.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
YouNeverWalkAlone was trending on twitter yesterday. Genuinely thought the worst.

Gator Nate

Looking at the math, I really think this thing will burn itself out in six to eight more weeks. Maybe that's just an optimistic guess, but I do believe a lot more people already have it than realize it. Testing in the state of New York ramped up significantly and the number of reported "cases," which are really just confirmed cases, ramped up significantly as well. Also, people can have it, not know it, and not get tested or confirmed. By the time everyone is tested, if that even happens, I think a lot of folks will be found to have had it and gotten over it.

They could, barring all other comps, finish the PL in 5 weeks of play, weekends and Wednesdays.

Having said that, both for the long-term health of English football, European football, and United football, I do think it is best to complete all domestic league seasons rather than write everything off and start next season fresh. Pool winning the league and Leeds not being promoted are small things compared to the sum of everything else. Relegations, promotions, European qualifications... so many financial questions... it's huge for so many clubs. Though player contracts will have a huge bearing on things.

I am not suggesting to play things out in risky situations.

I am saying wait it out, that I do think it will be sooner rather than later, and I think it's important for the 19-20 seasons to be resolved.

Nikelesh Reddy

You can't say that so easily without legal challenges. Let's say England is like Italy today as of April 25, then obviously no matches in May. Let's say it dwell on for another 2 weeks into mid-May then hard decision must be made on whether the game can start on say 1-Jun, closed door or not. If the decision is still no, then finishing will no longer be a viable and ONLY option, alternative option must be explored.

It would also be interesting to see how the situation develop in other nations, because if EPL is the only league that cannot re-start in June or earlier, there will be more pressure on EPL/FA to make quick decision.
True,we”ll have to wait and watch but I can’t see Liverpool being “handed” the title as some folks are claiming...The authorities will either find a way of finishing the season(maybe by postponing the start of next season to September),or the season will be declared null and void and we start afresh next season...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
My formula would be every team gets their best 28 match total for points, and their best 28 match goal difference. Therefore, points standings do not change but GD changes for 16th and 17th place

1st Liverpool
5th MU
6th Wolves +10 GD (take away 5-2 loss)
7th Sheff +7 GD (take away 2-0 loss)
10th Burnley -1 GD (take away 5-0 loss)
11th CP -2 GD (take away 4-0 loss)
16th Watford -9 GD (take away 8-0 loss)
17th WH -10 GD (take away 5-0 loss)
18th Bourn -14 (take away 4-0)

The only change was Watford finishes ahead of West Ham.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More and more talk of a behind closed doors resumption at some point, for all those losing their shit at my suggesting it the other day.

If a date was theoretically set for a couple of months, players could possibly go into lockdown and isolation before all being tested again. It’s a task, but there is no easy way out of this.

cyril C

True,we”ll have to wait and watch but I can’t see Liverpool being “handed” the title as some folks are claiming...The authorities will either find a way of finishing the season(maybe by postponing the start of next season to September),or the season will be declared null and void and we start afresh next season...
This is true. FA can present a memorial trophy if you like but the season must be completed in whatever format, not 75% not 90%. There are promotion and relegation battles involved, far more controversial. Wolves, Sheffield and a few more clubs are also unhappy with as it stands.

Denis' cuff

I take Europa League, Moyes, Fellaini and Bastian for a year and another quarantine just to see Liverpool losing the EPL title. I am ready to live in quarantine for 2 years if that means I never see Liverpool win the league again
what a man:cool::wenger::D

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
I'm just fed up of the Liverpool given the title narrative, I've got a few Bin dipping supporting mates acting like the victims (yet again), like they're being hard done by. I honestly couldn't care what the ultimate outcome is but anything to stop those cnuts from moaning. Much bigger things to worry about at the moment.

Denis' cuff

I don't really care about Liverpool winning it or not. They've been running away with it for so long, it feels like it's already happened. Which is preferable than them having a last-gasp Aguero-like moment that would be replayed forever. The league has just sort of meandered towards their title win. No soundbite, no everlasting highlight. That'll do.

Though if they void the season, Liverpool wouldn't be champions but they'd cry injustice for decades to come. That would be insufferable. Leeds missing out on promotion would be hilarious though.

From a purely sporting perspective, I'd rather do what's best for Uniteds interests, and that would be to finish the season. Football requiring international travel should be binned. No more CL or EL this season. Scrap the FA Cup, just play the league games. Finish it and get top 4, or finish 5th and take advantage of City's CL ban.

I think those are the only options though. Complete it or write it off. A current standings decision would be bedlam. The worse the news gets every day, voiding it is looking like the likeliest possibility.
no it wouldn’t.

that’s the hilarious bit. We get to enjoy decades of their agony and rage.They’ll become even more emotional. The opposite of Ciddy.

fecking hell... modern football

there is a funny side to it though: finally, the first decent Liverpool team in 30 years denied the title, despite being streets ahead and Ciddy, who can’t even muster up a decent crowd. Nobody acknowledges them, they’ll probably get kicked out of the CL and Pep will probably walk.

Bruno leads the Reds back to their rightful place and order is restored. Life beyond the virus.

Last edited: