Clash of heads on a football field: Time to clamp down and deal out punishment!

simplyared

Thought the subject warranted it’s own thread. We’ve got to get a grip of this and stop it happening on a football pitch. My theory is that when this happens more often than not there is an ”aggressor” who makes the decision to make the challenge. If that results in a clash of heads with an opponent or any other player for that matter then it’s a straight red card. Whether or not the ”aggressor” sustains an injury himself. The red card should then be followed up by disciplinary action by the FA to keep the player off the playing field for a certain length of time.

May sound harsh to many people but when looking at it, should be no question in my mind. Reason being the ”aggressor” as I call him should be making an attempt to head the ball himself. If he misses the ball then OK, but if through him missing the ball, results in crashing his head with the opponent’s head, the challenge should never have been made in the first place.

Whether or not the aim is to inflict harm on the opponent is irrelevant in my mind. The recent Luiz - Jemenez incident is an example of Luiz (the aggressor) making a horribly incorrect decision inflicting serious harm to an opponent. He should have seen red and there should be a punishment to follow. Not done with intent most probably, but no doubt reckless and very stupid.

He should be punished for his stupidity end of!

Players must be made to think twice before sticking their heads into challenges that are just not on!

Views on this!

Last edited:

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
They both went for the ball and clashed heads — the only reckless thing was luiz staying on the pitch for so long.

ArjenIsM3

They both went for the ball and clashed heads — the only reckless thing was luiz staying on the pitch for so long.
This. It was an accident. Nobody would intentionally clash heads because the risk is too great for both parties. Except Zidane of course.

Dozer

I predominantly play as a target man and have had numerous head collisions over the years where neither I nor the defender marking me have been "the aggressor".

It happens. Timing of a jump can be fractionally off - more so at amateur level with less practiced players. Another player not even involved in the collision can knock you and affect balance, high wind or swerve on the ball can cause deviation that any/both players could try and adjust for mid-air.

There are one hundred different permutations of how a collision can occur without anyone being unnecessarily aggresive or reckless, where it is impossible to tell who was at fault, if anyone. That doesn't warrant punishment.

Reactions: Jippy

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This. It was an accident. Nobody would intentionally clash heads because the risk is too great for both parties. Except Zidane of course.
Roy Keane too.

He would've told you to stop crying like a girl and spat on you while bleeding and concussed.

Games gone soft.

To be sincere now, you can't really punish players for a clash of heads but I would start to encourage wearing head gear particularly for players who like to head the ball. It might mean more random powerful headers but a few goals is worth the trade off for avoiding serious head trauma.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think these incidents are becoming more common - and that it's not accidental, it's reckless play. No different to flying tackles and tackles from behind, it's something that referees should be watching for and clamping down on. It's also a worse situation when it happens now, the players are heavier and faster (so the collision energy is generally higher) but skulls haven't got any tougher.

Sure, accidents do happen in football - 50:50s will always contain an element of risk, but what were the odds on this one? I know the commentators like to use words like "committed" - they also applaud players who aren't realistically going for the ball in these situations as "doing enough" to put the other player off. If Luis wasn't being reckless then it's just another example of his shoddy technique - in which case he still deserves a ban, because he needs the time off to learn to stop doing it.

Roy Keane too.

He would've told you to stop crying like a girl and spat on you while bleeding and concussed.

Games gone soft.

To be sincere now, you can't really punish players for a clash of heads but I would start to encourage wearing head gear particularly for players who like to head the ball. It might mean more random powerful headers but a few goals is worth the trade off for avoiding serious head trauma.
I remember 20 or so years ago Razor Ruddock has an Adidas predator headband, looked cool. Unfortunately it was an April fool. Maybe that’s where we are going.

simplyared

No the challenge was reckless, no doubt about that. Luiz ran a good distance before actually making the challenge, obviously increasing the force of it on impact. The chances of him making that header were zero from the beginning. So if that's not reckless don't know what is!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
No the challenge was reckless, no doubt about that. Luiz ran a good distance before actually making the challenge, obviously increasing the force of it on impact. The chances of him making that header were zero from the beginning. So if that's not reckless don't know what is!
Thought exactly the same at the time and nothing I’ve seen since has done anything to change my mind.
Reckless