'Classics' Podcast - New Article on Denis Law

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Hi all,

Thought I'd open this thread in the draft forum but essentially @harms, @enigma and @Gio formed part of the Pythagoras in Boots Podcast and we spent a marathon session trying to get to the bottom of who is the 'Greatest Team' to never win the World Cup... We discuss legacy, historical context and pit the contenders in hypothetical match-ups. Episode 1 will be split into 2 parts, the first of which you can find below and we discuss the top half of the draw... Hungary 1954 v Yugoslavia 1990 and Poland 1974 v France 1982.

Also been working on a website where we look to produce a Hall of Fame for all the greats we love to discuss, with their own dedicated articles, ratings (which I am sure will cause controversy) and footage. Anyway feel free to have a read and I will also post any future classics podcast related content in this thread too.

*Please note I will be adding players as I go along so do not be alarmed if you do not see certain players listed. I will spoiler this once more players and sections are added.

**If you cannot access the Apple link, click 'PODCAST' instead.

HALL OF FAME

Right Backs*
Roaming Forward
Strikers

PODCAST**
ARTICLES

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I like him even more now, great name!

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good podcast.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Nice to hear voices behind those names (Raees was already familiar from Utd podcast).

Yugoslavia 1990 didn't have much chance imo and Chile winning generation actually just started to enter the main stage in football. As been said, Euro 1992 and WC 1994 would be much stronger cases if they went in it. And for all their solid football, Spain win in the last 16 was the only impressive one. You also had to take into the account that Spain was one of those teams who were at the time seen as the side that usually crumbles in the high pressure matches.

Also, the background (that's been mentioned) was really something else. I remember the Spain game as a kid and you had one bar cheering for Yugoslavia and the other bar just around the corner for Spain. In a pretty hostile atmosphere only few feet away.

As for all 4 teams, Hungary was the most impressive (although, France 1982 is probably my favorite). Interesting info about Budai and impact of him not playing in that final which never crossed my mind.

Good podcast, would listen to new episodes.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
The part about tactically detailing the teams and even pitting them against each other was great and something I'd love to be a part of, especially given how I am usually far too lazy to type down everything I'd like to say about a set of players, etc.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The part about tactically detailing the teams and even pitting them against each other was great and something I'd love to be a part of, especially given how I am usually far too lazy to type down everything I'd like to say about a set of players, etc.
Would love to have you on. If any of you guys are up for it and also if you have any particular discussion topics which you’d like us to cover or address yourselves just post it in this thread.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Got sometime to listen in and was able to finish the first game, Hungary and Yugolsavia.

Good stuff. Will check the rest of it maybe later this week.

if you have any particular discussion topics which you’d like us to cover
Perhaps the lesser celebrated or known big national team winners in history.

Germany 1954 WC, Argentina 1978 and a lot of Euro winners come to mind

DVG7

Excellent listen guys. I find it really cool to hear that the voices behind the posters come across as just as knowledgeable as they do in their posts.

@Raees I have given it a 5 star review (think it’ll appear in the North American version) and followed on Instagram

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Raees Do you have a link to a feed that a podcast app would recognise so I could always get the updated episodes?

Edit: Just looked at the site again and it seems I have to go via instagram. Is this correct?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees Do you have a link to a feed that a podcast app would recognise so I could always get the updated episodes?

Edit: Just looked at the site again and it seems I have to go via instagram. Is this correct?
Let me get back to you on this - should be an RSS feed I can give to you, is that what would work.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Excellent listen guys. I find it really cool to hear that the voices behind the posters come across as just as knowledgeable as they do in their posts.

@Raees I have given it a 5 star review (think it’ll appear in the North American version) and followed on Instagram
Thanks pal, let me know if you'd ever like to get involved. Our next episode is going to be 'Greatest Teams to not win the Champions League'...

DVG7

Thanks pal, let me know if you'd ever like to get involved. Our next episode is going to be 'Greatest Teams to not win the Champions League'...
happy to get involved any time, just let me know when you need someone.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima

DVG7

when is this taking place? Anyone got dibs on Valencia team of the early 2000s?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
when is this taking place? Anyone got dibs on Valencia team of the early 2000s?
Sorry bud, literally recorded it tonight (marathon 2 hour sesh).. aiming to release part 1 over the weekend.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Romario • Samba Sniper...

Romario’s budding skills were honed through endless hours spent playing in the anarchic and unforgiving 25-a-side street matches in his neighbourhood. Even in these massed games it was clear that the diminutive youngster was a cut above. Anticipating his own meteoric rise in the game, Romario would practice signing his name in preparation for the many signatures he would have to sign in the future.

Soon it was time to abandon the streets and master grass. Romario initally played for the local youth team set up by his father - ‘Estelinha da Vila da Penha (The Little Stars). It afforded Romario the opportunity to cultivate his 11 aside game and by the age of 13, he was offered a trial for the local football club, Olaria FC, a small professional outfit operating in the shade of Flamengo, Fluminense, Vasco da Gama and Botafogo.

Romario duly impressed and was offered a contract by the club’s management who were astonished by the youngster’s freakish ability to leave larger powerful defenders looking foolish. Within a year at Olaria, he began drawing attention from the likes of Vasco de Gama. Initial concerns about his physical stature prevented Vasco coaches from pulling the trigger but after ‘Baixinho’ scored four past their youth side, these fears were immediately dispelled.
Link to full article

@Indnyc @Isotope @Skizzo @2mufc0 @idmanager @Physiocrat @Gio @harms
@Enigma_87 @Invictus @Šjor Bepo @DVG7 @Jim Beam @Theon @Moby @Edgar Allan Pillow @Fortitude @oneniltothearsenal @Joga Bonito

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Good work.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Koeman probably mentioned the most in this, which I agree with he was an attacking force. It's a shame he gets mugged off so much in drafts.