Claudio Bravo

prath92

Word on the grapevine is that Hart was caught up in gambling trouble (whilst in Manchester) and that the club felt he'd be better served away from the city - for his own sake.

Either way, made Pep's decision to replace him easier. Though he'd sooner of had Ter Stegen, Bravo was very much second choice.
so he went to italy fearing the mob? :lol:
Hart is much bigger than Bravo to begin with. 6'5 instead of just 6'0

Buying a 33 year old 6 foot goalkeeper was always going to be a huge mistake. Not every keeper can age like VdSar or Buffon. Short goalkeepers like Casillas, Barthez, Valdes and Bravo tend to decline very rapidly once the reflexes are gone.
fair enough but shot stopping should be bread and butter. Even Valdes pulls off some good saves even now even though he is at boro who would probably get relegated. Especially if Pep bought him, he would have analysed his games first surely?

PeteManic

Bravo was a weird decision from day one for all parties.

I know he must be earning at least double at City, but still living and playing in Barcelona can't have been bad. (Although Valdes, towards the end, did complain about the pressure of it...)

And Hart leaving England, never mind Man City was also a weird one...

Definitely something going on behind the scenes. Just like Yaya suddenly back in the team after months out drying out, I mean getting fit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They should've just kept Hart. Would've probably been more effective. He's won two leagues for them so its not as if he's a complete dud.

Sylar

Should have been sent off on his debut anyway.

He got away with it earlier in the season as City were facing teams who didnt attack for the most part. Since that Celtic match, hes not been pulling off saves a so called top team expects from their last line.

MounchesterUtd

Feel a little bit sorry for him. He's probably heard nothing but good things from the Barca camp regarding Pep, and they were in good form at the start of the season. Salary increase plus a chance to work with the awesome Pep, while walking the PL, how can he say no? Life came back at him fast and hard though, he looks absolutely shocked nowadays.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I feel sorry for him, he was considered a solid goalkeeper since being in Real Sociedad and playing for Chile as well. In fact he looked to be the more complete goalkeeper than Ter Stegen when he was in Barcelona, as he was more experienced and less prone to make mistakes. Nos his confidence is shattered in pieces and his defense isn't doing him any favors and at the same time the defenders shouldn't be feeling to confident with him in the back which all leads to a vicious circle.

I think City still has the option of a buy back clause with Rulli, he's now a player for Real Sociedad and is no longer in loan but I believe that clause should exist; he's doing very good for his team in Spain and has progressed a lot with his feet under Eusebio so maybe Guardiola will go for him. He needs to sort his defence first though, before trying to bring a new goalkeeper.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
But he's good with his feet
So was John O'Shea, probably has a better shots to saves percentage too. :lol:

In all seriousness, Bravo often looks like an outfield player filling in between the posts. (This is true of all goalkeepers who wear short sleeves. Barthez seem to always drop a ricket when he went short)

RedDevil@84

I somehow get a feeling that media is focusing too much on Bravo while conveniently ignoring that Stones has been doing feck all in his job.

Jaybomb

I somehow get a feeling that media is focusing too much on Bravo while conveniently ignoring that Stones has been doing feck all in his job.
I think the majority of the problem lies there.

Stones is a liability in that defence. And the aging full backs in Zabaleta/Sagna/Kolarov/Clichy need to be shipped out and moved on.

History revisionists like to pretend that Joe Hart was a perfect keeper. But everyone forgets that he was dog shit in the Euros and Bravo was one of the best keepers in the world at Barcelona, winning the Copa America TWICE.

Toad

I think the way forward is to talk very highly of him, hoping the media pick up on it, then City believe he is a truly fantastic addition to their team.

The BlackGaijin

Good possession can cover for bad defensive players including a shite goal keeper. Under LVG we had one of the best defensive records with the likes of young, Darmian and Blind at the back. They were rarely tested because we always had the ball.

Bravo was a shite keeper in the best possession based team in the world. He was rarely required to use his hands, most of the game it was Pique passing to him and he to Alves. If De Gea joined Barca, he would set crazy records.

Gopher Brown

The 'good with his feet' thing is self-defeating - because managers think he's a good distributor they instruct forwards to put more pressure on him, so he has to rush his kicks, meaning his distribution is poorer. Joe Hart was given lots of time because he wasn't 'good with his feet' which led to him having more time to get his passing right.

A goalkeeper needs to be a good stop-stopper first and everything else is a bonus.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Claudio Bravo was so upset about his performance at Goodison Park, he reportedly took the subway back and jumped in front of a train..but the train went through his legs.

Nuts

Claudio Bravo was so upset about his performance at Goodison Park, he reportedly took the subway back and jumped in front of a train..but the train went through his legs.
Not funny.

Nuts

Stones is a liability in that defence. And the aging full backs in Zabaleta/Sagna/Kolarov/Clichy need to be shipped out and moved on.

History revisionists like to pretend that Joe Hart was a perfect keeper. But everyone forgets that he was dog shit in the Euros and Bravo was one of the best keepers in the world at Barcelona, winning the Copa America TWICE.
Guardiola is going to have to spend millions on that team. Stones will only work (if at all) next to a high quality replacement for Kompany and they need at least two very good fullbacks, and a keeper.

I'd also worry that Silva is getting on a bit, and Yaya.

So all in all, that's a hell of a lot of money. Funny how these things work out - we're maybe just 2-3 signings away from being a very complete side...

Oneunited26

United's backup keeper made more saves in the first few games of last season, than all of bravo's city playing career, and that's grim lol

Guardiola is going to have to spend millions on that team. Stones will only work (if at all) next to a high quality replacement for Kompany and they need at least two very good fullbacks, and a keeper.

I'd also worry that Silva is getting on a bit, and Yaya.

So all in all, that's a hell of a lot of money. Funny how these things work out - we're maybe just 2-3 signings away from being a very complete side...
I think united got a pretty good backbone, balancing youth and experience. Its tough where we have to replace some players, still hoping martial really cements that left side spot, defiantly a new anchor man is needed, maybe a new CB. But there is players we already got I feel we could and still should give time, as we have the players around them to give them time. But if we solve the carrick replacement, that's when I feel we go to the next level

Listar

On Sunday, in one match, he had let in goals from his left, his right, over him and under him. Is that a record itself or have other keepers achieved similar feat?

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How was this fella so highly rated at Barca? Genuinely looks like he's been picked from the local park next to the council house. Without doubt the worst keeper in the league so far this season.

surf

How was this fella so highly rated at Barca? Genuinely looks like he's been picked from the local park next to the council house. Without doubt the worst keeper in the league so far this season.
He was quite good with Barca. The difference now is that he's older and in decline, and he gets less protection from his defence and midfield, and he's just totally out of form. Guardiola has to decide whether to keep him and lose points or bin him and lose face.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
He was quite good with Barca. The difference now is that he's older and in decline, and he gets less protection from his defence and midfield, and he's just totally out of form. Guardiola has to decide whether to keep him and lose points or bin him and lose face.
don't forget Chile... Multi Champion and even though he commits mistakes sometimes, his balance is way more than positive.

Check the highlights of the WCQ match in Colombia last November. It was a golden 0-0 only thanks to him.

around the 55 seconds mark... one of the best saves I've seen in years.

Stopped a penalty from Suarez on the next match and so on. The guy when playing for Chile is world class 80% of the time.

He is an emotional player too. The higher the stakes, the better he plays. He was terrible at the beginning of the last Copa, but was a monster in later stages.

He is in decline though as you say, its notorious the drop in quality in the last 2 years. And playing with that joke of a defence for Shitty doesn't help at all.

Jaybomb

I always find it strange how the media have these vendettas against some of these foreign players that come to the Prem.

Obviously he hasn't been amazing since coming to City, but theres a lot of factors to take into account... Their defence is absolutely terrible for one.

The way the media talk about him is completely out of order in my opinion. Joe Hart wasn't a perfect keeper by any means so lets not act like he was. Pellegrini dropped him for Caballero and Pantilimon at times and you only have to look at some of the goals he's let in for England.

I wonder if Pep didn't show the door to their English pal in favor of him, would there be as much resentment towards Bravo? I don't think so. The whole vendetta against Bravo stinks of obvious bias from Joe Hart's friends in the media. Calling him "woeful" is complete ignorance. He's been Barca's keeper for two years and won 2 consecutive Copa Americas.

They've been on his case from the get go. I remember his debut against United, the commentators were practically waiting for him to make a mistake so they could run with the whole "Why sell Hart for this guy?" story. In that game, Stones was completely at fault for one of Bravo's "errors" and they put the entire thing on Bravo. Completely ignoring Stones' lack of surroundings/defensive awareness and this is a player that cost 50m!.. but he's English and probably friends with some of those pundits, so we'll let it slide... :rolleyes:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
He was a great goalkeeper in his pomp, but I was probably one of the few Barca fans who saw his decline coming. He let in some easy goals in the second half of the 2015/16 season, and he let in 2 very easy goals in the opening game of the Copa against Argentina (although he was terrific in the knockout stages).

Overall, a 33 yr old goalkeeper that is only 6 feet tall (eg. can't rely on his height like Buffon or Cech can) was always going to be a huge risk. It'd be a shame if English football fans only remembered Bravo for his time at City instead of his brilliant prime from 2010-2015.

Nevertheless in Chile he will go down as a legend. Him, Vidal, and Sanchez will be forever remembered as the generation that won Chile back-to-back Copa America titles.

Wan

One of the best GK? On what planet?

Mike09

Either he got less protection or no from defense and midfield, he's been very poor and unable to make saves in a game. It's like the percentage of conceded goal when a player have a shot on target towards Bravo is 90%. Most of the goals that City conceded, when I look at them I feel that Bravo could have done 5x better. Too slow and too many poor decision making. Either he's just getting too old or the goalkeeper coach aren't doing their job properly.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I always find it strange how the media have these vendettas against some of these foreign players that come to the Prem.

Obviously he hasn't been amazing since coming to City, but theres a lot of factors to take into account... Their defence is absolutely terrible for one.

The way the media talk about him is completely out of order in my opinion. Joe Hart wasn't a perfect keeper by any means so lets not act like he was. Pellegrini dropped him for Caballero and Pantilimon at times and you only have to look at some of the goals he's let in for England.

I wonder if Pep didn't show the door to their English pal in favor of him, would there be as much resentment towards Bravo? I don't think so. The whole vendetta against Bravo stinks of obvious bias from Joe Hart's friends in the media. Calling him "woeful" is complete ignorance. He's been Barca's keeper for two years and won 2 consecutive Copa Americas.

They've been on his case from the get go. I remember his debut against United, the commentators were practically waiting for him to make a mistake so they could run with the whole "Why sell Hart for this guy?" story. In that game, Stones was completely at fault for one of Bravo's "errors" and they put the entire thing on Bravo. Completely ignoring Stones' lack of surroundings/defensive awareness and this is a player that cost 50m!.. but he's English and probably friends with some of those pundits, so we'll let it slide... :rolleyes:

Mate. He's fecking shit.

He'd be shit if he was English. He's shit even when he's not.

Jaybomb

One of the best GK? On what planet?
Earth? In his first season with Barca, he kept 23 clean sheets in 37 games. Last season, 16 in 32.

Now I'm sure you're gonna say that it's all down to the defence but theres no denying that he was one of the best keepers in the world at Barca. Maybe he wasn't in the Neuer/De Gea bracket, but he was up there with the likes of Navas/Oblak/Lloris/Cech/etc. It was only when he joined City and displaced Hart that the media convinced everyone he was terrible in comparison. Funny that.

To be honest, I think any keeper would struggle with John Stones infront of them.