Claudio Bravo

Suedesi

I agree with @Jaybomb, C. Bravo has got pedigree (captain of Chile, back-to-back Copa America's, La Ligas) but playing with that joke of a defense doesn't help.

People (including Pep) underestimate how hard the transition from La Liga to EPL is for players, and especially for keepers.

Put it this way - DeGea who was great for Atletico, struggled for a season and a half despite playing with seasoned pros like Vidic, Rio, Evans and Evra.

Listar

Earth? In his first season with Barca, he kept 23 clean sheets in 37 games. Last season, 16 in 32.

Now I'm sure you're gonna say that it's all down to the defence but theres no denying that he was one of the best keepers in the world at Barca. Maybe he wasn't in the Neuer/De Gea bracket, but he was up there with the likes of Navas/Oblak/Lloris/Cech/etc. It was only when he joined City and displaced Hart that the media convinced everyone he was terrible in comparison. Funny that.

To be honest, I think any keeper would struggle with John Stones infront of them.
Cech was almost unbeatable when in his prime for Chelsea, especially before the head injury. I don't remember Bravo being that good, ever. He was helped immensely by a very superior Barcelona side playing possession football for that amount of clean sheets.

prath92

United's backup keeper made more saves in the first few games of last season, than all of bravo's city playing career, and that's grim lol
Worse is he is 20th in the list. Fabianski in 19th has a save percentage of 53%. That's a good 12% more

prath92

I agree with @Jaybomb, C. Bravo has got pedigree (captain of Chile, back-to-back Copa America's, La Ligas) but playing with that joke of a defense doesn't help.

People (including Pep) underestimate how hard the transition from La Liga to EPL is for players, and especially for keepers.

Put it this way - DeGea who was great for Atletico, struggled for a season and a half despite playing with seasoned pros like Vidic, Rio, Evans and Evra.
De gea struggled because he was an inexperienced keeper still learning his trades. He was 20. Bravo is 33, experienced internationally and at the highest level for club.

Even when he struggled DDG was excellent in shot stopping. He had an issue with dominating the box.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
De gea struggled because he was an inexperienced keeper still learning his trades. He was 20. Bravo is 33, experienced internationally and at the highest level for club.
Therein lies the problem.

That's the age where 6 ft tall goalkeepers usually decline.

One of the best GK? On what planet?
On the planet where he captained Chile to back-to-back Copa America trophies, saving a penalty in the final shootout on both occasions.

InfiniteBoredom

De Gea struggled for half a season, but after Lindegaard's calamitous performance against Reading he cemented his place as first choice and were pretty much on form from then on, were the best keeper in the league the following season when we won the league.

It was pretty much an Englis media narrative trashing him whenever they could, especially next to Joe 'Lionheart' Hart. In his 2nd season they jumped on his back like dog smell shit when he made a mistake against Spurs away leading to the equaliser, despite multiple fine saves in the same game, whereas glossing over Hart's brainfarts.

Suedesi

Even when he struggled DDG was excellent in shot stopping. He had an issue with dominating the box.

A bored scouser

Supports
Liverpool
You need to be good in the air to succeed in this league and this is why it helps to be tall as a keeper because you can't afford to be poor aerially in England.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
De Gea struggled for half a season, but after Lindegaard's calamitous performance against Reading he cemented his place as first choice and were pretty much on form from then on, were the best keeper in the league the following season when we won the league.

It was pretty much an Englis media narrative trashing him whenever they could, especially next to Joe 'Lionheart' Hart. In his 2nd season they jumped on his back like dog smell shit when he made a mistake against Spurs away leading to the equaliser, despite multiple fine saves in the same game, whereas glossing over Hart's brainfarts.
Bravo has been here half a season also...

InfiniteBoredom

Bravo has been here half a season also...
There are struggles and struggles.

De Gea had difficulties dealing with crosses and lack of protection from referees, but his shot stopping were never in question. In his debut against City in the Shield, when he conceded a silly goal from Dzeko's long punt, he also saved a couple of point blank efforts which contributed to us winning the game, guess which part was talked about by the media. Bravo has a save percentage of 24%.

Cassidy

There are struggles and struggles.

De Gea had difficulties dealing with crosses and lack of protection from referees, but his shot stopping were never in question. In his debut against City in the Shield, when he conceded a silly goal from Dzeko's long punt, he also saved a couple of point blank efforts which contributed to us winning the game, guess which part was talked about by the media. Bravo has a save percentage of 24%.
I'm not comparing the 2 players. I just pointed out hes been here 6 months, and the media as usual are trying to ruin him (largely due to the fact he replaced their wonder boy Hart)
Hes playing way below the level he can perform at, anyone who has followed his career or done their research will know that.

Robertd0803

I agree with @Jaybomb,

Also didn't help De Gea didn't speak a word of English when he arrived and took a while to settle in Manchester itself.

Regarding Bravo- you cant trust him as a goalkeeper at the moment and that makes him a liability in my book and therefore one of Citys most valuable players.

unitedforeveral

It was a pity for Joe Hart. He cursed them. Anyway pep likes to start his attack from the Keeper and likes to think Keeper is an extra player on the pitch. Bravo was brilliant at Barcelona, he won the title there and then made a bad choice. Ter Stegen is lovin' this. Bravo can never do a Neuer, De gea or even a Karius. So good luck with him Shitty!

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The media is not ruining him. He's been absolutely awful at pretty much everything a goalkeeper should be good at. Terrible keeper. Both Hart and Caballero are better keepers.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Those sort of 'jokes' are completely inappropriate mate. Suicide shouldn't be something to be talked about so lightly, and definitely not in a joking manner.
I knew that would be brought up, which is part of why I even posted it to begin with. Your type of reply is why Trump came in power to be very honest. Take a lighthearted joke for what it is mate.

Fyi- im a part time clinician who works full time as a licenced therapist but is totally against the mad political correctness machine.

Cassidy

The media is not ruining him. He's been absolutely awful at pretty much everything a goalkeeper should be good at. Terrible keeper. Both Hart and Caballero are better keepers.
Over his career or since he came to City?

Flames73

Even if the defense in front of him is shite, you would still expect him to save slightly more? Ranked 20th in shot stopping and a fair 12% below Fabianski who also have a horrible defense in front of him.

redsunited

Is the point of that clip to prove that De Gea wasn’t an excellent shot stopper early on in the PL?
Not sure that poster meant that. De Gea had issues with long shots at that moment of time. Along with his issues with handling crosses, he was poor in stopping long shots. I remember reading an article with stats that, he was the goalkeeper in La liga the previous year who has let in more long shot goals. He was claimed as agile and excellent shot stopper during that time but bizarrely the long shots was one of his issues. During that time the opposition shots against our goal had increased comparatively as they felt it is his weakness. I remember having a conversation with my Liverpool supporting boss that if he cant stop long shots and also poor at handling crosses why does he qualify as a good goalkeeping potential? The rest is history.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not sure that poster meant that. De Gea had issues with long shots at that moment of time. Along with his issues with handling crosses, he was poor in stopping long shots. I remember reading an article with stats that, he was the goalkeeper in La liga the previous year who has let in more long shot goals. He was claimed as agile and excellent shot stopper during that time but bizarrely the long shots was one of his issues. I remember having a conversation with my Liverpool supporting boss that if he cant stop long shots and also poor at handling crosses why does he qualify as a good goalkeeping potential? The rest is history.
He had for a while, but that went past quite quickly, not quickly enough though for the English press not to call him a flop :lol:

redsunited

He had for a while, but that went past quite quickly, not quickly enough though for the English press not to call him a flop :lol:
True... De Gea improved on that aspect and in the later half of his first season the long shots weakness was non existent.

Clas Sified

I knew that would be brought up, which is part of why I even posted it to begin with. Your type of reply is why Trump came in power to be very honest. Take a lighthearted joke for what it is mate.

Fyi- im a part time clinician who works full time as a licenced therapist but is totally against the mad political correctness machine.
Couldn't care less what your occupation is to be honest. My point of view is that, political correctness or not, there's certain things that shouldn't be joked about, and suicide is definitely one of them. If that makes you believe that that sort of belief is why Trump won the election, says more about you than it does me.

I don't really want to derail the thread any further, so if you still disagree, fair enough, we'll go our own separate ways.

tomaldinho1

It was only when he joined City and displaced Hart that the media convinced everyone he was terrible in comparison. Funny that.
For all the media's faults, they haven't had to lift a finger on this one. True he has a poor defense in front of him but no excuses for some of his performances.

Joe Hart is not a WC class keeper IMO but he is head and shoulders (see what I did there) above Bravo.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I always thought he was quite decent on the relatively small number of times I saw him do anything before City. But he has been a bit shit. Haha. #makeyourselfsmall

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Earth? In his first season with Barca, he kept 23 clean sheets in 37 games. Last season, 16 in 32.

Now I'm sure you're gonna say that it's all down to the defence but theres no denying that he was one of the best keepers in the world at Barca. Maybe he wasn't in the Neuer/De Gea bracket, but he was up there with the likes of Navas/Oblak/Lloris/Cech/etc. It was only when he joined City and displaced Hart that the media convinced everyone he was terrible in comparison. Funny that.

To be honest, I think any keeper would struggle with John Stones infront of them.
When a player comes from Barcelona and displaces the England #1, rightly the expectation is that he will be one of the best goalkeepers in the league.

Bravo has been extremely poor in all aspects of goalkeeping, from shot-stopping, catching, commanding his area, and his supposed strength (using his feet).

Has any GK cost another team more points than his cockups? I legitimately think he's been the worst GK in the league this season.

Classical Mechanic

My favourite Bravo moment was a one on one coming after a defensive cockup (IIRC) from the side where he got easily beaten. They showed the angle on MoTD when he came out and positioned himself and he had essentially vacated the goal from the attackers POV.

Djemba-Djemba

It's not so much that he's making horrendous howlers every game. Other than against us when Zlatan scored I can't recall him making too many obvious errors, it's just that he doesn't make any saves.

You get it on target with reasonable power and it goes in, he's all over the place from a technical standpoint. He's been awful.

Suedesi

Is the point of that clip to prove that De Gea wasn’t an excellent shot stopper early on in the PL?
It goes to show that very talented keepers can make basic mistakes. I've never questioned DDG's talent, even when he was savaged by the jingoistic British media.

Camilo

He's been terrible so far at City, but City have been terrible too, so it's no wonder. There's no doubting Bravo has been a top keeper for a while, and once the team gets sorted, he'll be an important part. I'm not sure Pep realised how valuable a (half) decent shot stopper would be while he's sorting it though.. By the time City are (presumably) really firing (in 10 months time, once Pep has his summer transfer window) he'll be pushing 35. Hart might well be back. Or a young keeper might be in. The Bravo experiment has been a mistake I thinks...

Couldn't care less what your occupation is to be honest. My point of view is that, political correctness or not, there's certain things that shouldn't be joked about, and suicide is definitely one of them.
Everything must always be joked about - if we starting taking humanities shit seriously, we've lost all perspective. We're clueless creatures pretending to be important. You have to laugh.

prath92

Therein lies the problem.

That's the age where 6 ft tall goalkeepers usually decline.
Then it was crazy of pep to bring him in and let Hart go even though Hart, for all his weaknesses can save shots 7/10 times. Even Valdes who is of a similar age is fairly good in stopping shots at him and making himself look bigger.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Everything must always be joked about - if we starting taking humanities shit seriously, we've lost all perspective. We're clueless creatures pretending to be important. You have to laugh.
feck me, I hope I'm never sent to you if I get depressed. Right cheery fecker you are.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I don't get the de Gea/Bravo comparisons. de Gea was 10 years younger, while Bravo has played for many years in La Liga, internationally etc.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I don't get the de Gea/Bravo comparisons. de Gea was 10 years younger, while Bravo has played for many years in La Liga, internationally etc.
He was also nowhere near as shit

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Bravo was not very good to begin with. A fairly average goalkeeper even at Barcelona.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
2 shots on target, 2 goals conceded.

cyberman

Away to Andy Carroll next league game. He's going to get flattened.