Claudio Bravo

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's 37 in a few months. Short keepers who compensate with their lack of reach and physical dominance with exceptional reflexes and agility just tend to drop off a cliff once their reflexes start to decline, as they can't re adjust their games in the way the likes of VdS could. By the time they bought him it was already crystal clear he was on that path, so I've no idea why they've kept him on after he's proved over and over again he's not up to it.
I remember when we signed Shay Given when he was 35. He'd had shoulder injuries in his time at Man. City and everyone could quickly see he was struggling to dive either side. That and he was never great on crosses and dominating his box even at his peak so yeah I do take that point.

Just wondering if there was ever a time at Barca when they were under the cosh and he had a De Gea style Spurs game when he was just saving everything on target.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Was he rated that much at Barca? Obviously they could build from the back with him but what was his general shot stopping and penalty box dominance from set pieces like?

Been badly exposed over here anyway.
He was genuinely considered a very good goalkeeper here. Watch the Classico where we beat Madrid 0-4 at the Bernabeu, he was spectacular that game.

He was never good at commanding his box. However, his shot-stopping at his peak was much better than what you see nowadays. As someone else pointed out, he’s a 36 year old goalkeeper that is short. He’s completely past it nowadays.

He was also a vital reason why Chile’s golden generation won two Copa America’s in a row, saving penalties against Argentina in both the 2015 and 2016 final shootout.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The Copa America 2015 one was basically Higuain just firing into Orbit and Chile built good advantage from that afterwards.

2016 one I just remember as odd one when so many good players lost their nerve (think Messi fired his over the bar). Will have to watch that again to see how many actually missed but from memory it was a few on both sides.

Hughie77

Hopeless, should have saved or at least got a hand to the first, 3rd goal, cross he should have come to get it.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Actually just the three, Vidal missed first up and then Messi did his Higuain impression on the next one.

From watching all the pens Bravo dived to his left on 90% of them but mixed it up and saved the crucial one from Lucas Biglia by diving to his right. Has a pretty good reach.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Neville said in commentary he should have done better for the first, which I thought was a bit harsh. Definitely should have done better for the 3rd though

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He was absolutely brilliant at his peak, but once you’re done at this level you’re done.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Neville said in commentary he should have done better for the first, which I thought was a bit harsh. Definitely should have done better for the 3rd though
Neville's always been a poor judge of goalkeepers, which is no surprise really as it's a completely different position. The first is a sensational strike and no keeper is saving that. Bravo's positioning wasn't perfect but it's irrelevant really. For the third, an athletic rangy keeper tips away the cross, but he's miles from one of them any more. Still, the blame for that goal lies primarily with Walker who fell asleep as per usual with the runner over his shoulder.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Neville's always been a poor judge of goalkeepers, which is no surprise really as it's a completely different position. The first is a sensational strike and no keeper is saving that. Bravo's positioning wasn't perfect but it's irrelevant really. For the third, an athletic rangy keeper tips away the cross, but he's miles from one of them any more. Still, the blame for that goal lies primarily with Walker who fell asleep as per usual with the runner over his shoulder.
In fairness he did qualify it with: "I'm always very harsh on keepers..."

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He would still be a reliable solution for upper mid table teams, but I doubt he would accept a downgrade at this time of his career.

Top teams require more arguments from a keeper, since they are usually more exposed to direct play and crossing due to high pressure and those are actually part of his weaknesses.

JMack1234

He's 37 in a few months. Short keepers who compensate with their lack of reach and physical dominance with exceptional reflexes and agility just tend to drop off a cliff once their reflexes start to decline, as they can't re adjust their games in the way the likes of VdS could. By the time they bought him it was already crystal clear he was on that path, so I've no idea why they've kept him on after he's proved over and over again he's not up to it.
Very good point.

Casillas is the ultimate example of this. Was the worlds best 'keeper until his reflexes started to slow and his confidence collapsed with it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Very good point.

Casillas is the ultimate example of this. Was the worlds best 'keeper until his reflexes started to slow and his confidence collapsed with it.
IMHO from what I saw here at Portuguese league, his problem is clearly mental. His performances in important matches were always top notch and Porto can thank him for last year title due to his amazing performances on top team games, but then he slacks against smaller opposition.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Can't believe how shit he's become. He was highly rated and I thought Pep played a blinder when he signed him.