Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

WPMUFC

I always feel so happy when scientists say they can't currently explain abnormal things. :nervous:

The world has been its hottest on record for 10 months straight. Scientists can't fully explain why

NASA's senior climate advisor Gavin Schmidt says while climate change and the onset of El Niño explain a significant portion of last year's heat, together with other contributing factors, there is still a margin of heat at the top that can't be explained.

He said that was concerning.

"If we can't explain what's going on, then that has real consequences for what we can say is going to happen in the future," Dr Schmidt said.

Dr Schmidt said there was always room for error, but usually scientists could explain what occurred upon looking back at the data.

He said this time it was not adding up. And the climate models were giving them no answers either.

"It means there's something missing in what we're thinking about here," he said.

"Either something has changed in the system and things are responding differently to how they responded in the past, or there are other elements that are happening that we didn't take into account."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-09/data-can-t-explain-off-the-charts-heat/103649190

decorativeed

The Cloud now has a greater carbon footprint than the airline industry apparently
That's not surprising. Every single email sat in your inbox will be there forever, sat on a server that requires continuous power to run. Multiply that by everyone in the world with an email address. Then add every single video uploaded to youtube, every file on G-Drive or Teams or Dropbox. All continually powered on just in case you ever need to access them. It's going to be multiplying exponentially from here on, too.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
That's not surprising. Every single email sat in your inbox will be there forever, sat on a server that requires continuous power to run. Multiply that by everyone in the world with an email address. Then add every single video uploaded to youtube, every file on G-Drive or Teams or Dropbox. All continually powered on just in case you ever need to access them. It's going to be multiplying exponentially from here on, too.
Combine that with the (imo) dumb idea around AI, Crypto and constant IT shit we don't need and we're just adding excess computation and information for the sake of it.

I'd suggest we do three days a year solstice with no power, no internet etc.

decorativeed

Combine that with the (imo) dumb idea around AI, Crypto and constant IT shit we don't need and we're just adding excess computation and information for the sake of it.

It gives me great justification to ask people to stop CCing me into emails at work that I've no need to be in.

Tarrou

I like this idea. Of course it would end up getting politicised with half the people doing it and the other half taking the piss. Still better than nowt though!