Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Red_toad

After Australia has suffered 16/17 years of drought in last 23 years, culminating in the revent unprecedented fires we now have the worst floods in 30+ years. The frequency of these severe events is escalating :(

Been a pretty quiet fire season in WA, been pretty mild the last few years summer temp wise also. Odd how Australia news tends to forget about its biggest state.
Forecast to possibly rain here today but 32c and sunny looks like that’ll be all we get.
Glad I don’t live over east as it’s all a bit fecked up over there. I wonder what Scomo and his God are going to do about it all? I certainly do not see them going against their lords of coal. Too much money involved to worry about what he’s leaving his children to live in.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Been a pretty quiet fire season in WA, been pretty mild the last few years summer temp wise also. Odd how Australia news tends to forget about its biggest state.
Forecast to possibly rain here today but 32c and sunny looks like that’ll be all we get.
Glad I don’t live over east as it’s all a bit fecked up over there. I wonder what Scomo and his God are going to do about it all? I certainly do not see them going against their lords of coal. Too much money involved to worry about what he’s leaving his children to live in.
Sadly SE WA is likely to suffer some of the worst impacts from global warming particularly in terms of reduced rainfall.

Which sucks as I'd love to live there.

Sweet Square

Unless you're in favour of taking away control of these companies from the people who own them by force, you're not really for stopping climate change.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
i'm not a fan of central planning, but the problem here is specifically markets, not just the privte ownership part of capitalism. as long as there is competition, fossil fuels will continue getting extracted. so nationalisation in itself isn't the answer (see: norway, SA, venezuela).

Sweet Square

i'm not a fan of central planning, but the problem here is specifically markets, not just the privte ownership part of capitalism. as long as there is competition, fossil fuels will continue getting extracted. so nationalisation in itself isn't the answer (see: norway, SA, venezuela).
Good point.

Tucholsky

Supports
VfB Stuttgart
Just want to bump this thread, cause of the Greta Thunberg thread.
The climate change deniers and "I don't wanna change guys and girls" are winning, we are no longer debating the subject but the messenger.

And thats exactly what they want. So to the sensible posters:
Please just ignore them.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
As we move forward in 2020, how optimistic or pessimistic do you feel about mankind ability to combat the worst effects of climate change.

There seem to be a lot of initiatives starting, especially on transport.
But little in terms of actual change.

Flying high

As we move forward in 2020, how optimistic or pessimistic do you feel about mankind ability to combat the worst effects of climate change.

There seem to be a lot of initiatives starting, especially on transport.
But little in terms of actual change.
With the political events of the last few years I just can't see any major effort to curb the warming.

We'd better get used to the fact that levels of migration are going to increase hugely. Which, as far as I can see, will be the catalyst for even more anger and division.

More wars and persecution are inevitable.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Lets say that coronavirus hit in the same proportion as the spanish flu (2.5% vs currenty 3.4%).

Spanish flu 50 - 100 millions from a total population of 1.7 billions roughly 3-6% of the world population

Let say corona virus kills 10% of worlds population as there is more communication, more density and 1.5 more death rate current.

Would 800 million deaths (10% of 7.8 billions) reduce the so told 7.5% emissions?

Could we finally comply with the objective in 2030?

Could be the solution? trying to be positive and so...

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not sure what's going on here?

If pollution is a problem in Southampton, how come there are still birds in the sky?

In reply to green party member John Spottiswoode and Philip Griffiths of Romsey, (Echo Letters Feb 25) and their continued banging the same old drum about air pollution.

If what they both say is true, and not for one word do I believe their findings, especially the figures of 110 deaths and thousands more suffering from air pollution in Southampton, this is sheer poppycock.

I live in the city centre and I have not seen evidence or heard anybody complain on the same grounds as John and Philip about air pollution. This is pure eco project fear.

If the air pollution is so dire, why is it that I can walk through the city centre and the parks, and still find hundreds if not thousands of birds squawking all around, from large to the very small pied-wagtails, surely their little lungs would never be able to cope with the project fear of air pollution.

More to the point, there are more pollutants used in home, far more than you can breath on the outside, and far more than can be printed in this letter.

If everybody was honest about this situation and agree with what I have mentioned, let us all push for a full investigation into home pollutants.

If that investigation was ever carried out, it would justify what I believe is the original source of pollution and the true reason for all those deaths.

David J Hacking
Archers Road. Southampton

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18...IUbIS0FuEGkkoluS1waqduC1k_eavw1wwtpuRJuZUKjZk

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's not wrong. Also, if the earth was really spherical, then why don't birds crash into the ground when flying long distances?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am proud of my home city of Bristol for giving Greta such a massive welcome and support today in the latest climate change protest.

The weather is awful but that hasn't stopped tens of thousands of people including many school children turning out.

Yes, we must all be concerned about the risks of the coronavirus.
But that is nothing compared to the huge risks and impact of climate change.

nickm

"In the 10 years the deployment of French nuclear energy has caused fossils to drop from 55% to 10% of electricity production. "

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
"In the 10 years the deployment of French nuclear energy has caused fossils to drop from 55% to 10% of electricity production. "

The UK has done the same with wind power.

Unfortunately China has enough coal plants under construction to match France's entire energy production capacity, although their new plants will be cleaner than the outgoing French ones.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
With Covid19 suspending long distance travel, quarantine for half the population in China as well as complete stop of cruise ship industry for a year, the co2 levels will fall for the first time. Feels like a great opportunity to get back on track with co2 emission targets.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A byproduct of the coronavirus pandemic is the sharp reduction in atmosphere pollution and CO2 concentration in places like China and Italy.

And it is very interested that people seem to be not motivated enough by the awful threat of climate change to change the way they live.

And yet the virus threat has had an almost immediate effect on the way people are living their individual and collective lives.

Zen86

A byproduct of the coronavirus pandemic is the sharp reduction in atmosphere pollution and CO2 concentration in places like China and Italy.

And it is very interested that people seem to be not motivated enough by the awful threat of climate change to change the way they live.

And yet the virus threat has had an almost immediate effect on the way people are living their individual and collective lives.
It’s all good until the economy collapses and everyone loses their job.

C'est Moi Cantona

Of course, it has to be in our faces, a next generations threat to existence just doesn't register much, talk of rising sea levels, uncontrollable floods, lack of food, etc, doesn't quite cut it the way a full on pandemic does for people to change their lives so quickly.

The byproduct could also be a rapid rise in CO2 when this is all over, 'full steam ahead to get the economy back on track', and moth ball alot the good ideas to stem the climate change catastrophe that is going to happen, I hope this will set us on a path to ramp up our efforts on this, but you have to have your doubts.

Adamsk7

Individual being the key point. People are scared for their own lives in the case of Covid where as they can’t see the bigger picture with climate change. Once again, this pandemic just goes to show how selfish we are.

C'est Moi Cantona

Individual being the key point. People are scared for their own lives in the case of Covid where as they can’t see the bigger picture with climate change. Once again, this pandemic just goes to show how selfish we are.
There is nothing like your own mortality to focus the mind, but we should be treating this as an opportunity, as well as a disaster.

redshaw

Meanwhile, back at base.

Climate change: 2019 was Europe's warmest year on record
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-...nvironment&link_location=live-reporting-story

"What will worry researchers is that the mean temperature in Europe over the past five years is averaging almost 2C warmer than pre-industrial figures.

This suggests that the continent is breaching the promise made in the Paris climate agreement to keep temperatures "well below" 2C."

Was also surprised how mild the winter was, no freeze ups in Jan-Feb.

Fosu-Mens

Meanwhile, back at base.

Climate change: 2019 was Europe's warmest year on record
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-...nvironment&link_location=live-reporting-story

"What will worry researchers is that the mean temperature in Europe over the past five years is averaging almost 2C warmer than pre-industrial figures.

This suggests that the continent is breaching the promise made in the Paris climate agreement to keep temperatures "well below" 2C."

Was also surprised how mild the winter was, no freeze ups in Jan-Feb.
And it is going to get worse...

1. Methane from the melting permafrost.
  2. Oceanic carbonsink, oceanic acidification and temperature increase will cause a massive decrease in biomass in our seas.
  3. Shortage of agricultural and fertile soil due to monoculture planting, use of artificial fertilizers etc causing food shortages.
  4. Water shortages, either for drinking, industries or agriculture.
++++

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And it is going to get worse...

1. Methane from the melting permafrost.
  2. Oceanic carbonsink, oceanic acidification and temperature increase will cause a massive decrease in biomass in our seas.
  3. Shortage of agricultural and fertile soil due to monoculture planting, use of artificial fertilizers etc causing food shortages.
  4. Water shortages, either for drinking, industries or agriculture.
++++
Yep.
That is the reality of what mankind faces.
A threat to each and everyone.

But in the relatively short period of the Coronavirus pandemic, we have inadvertently done many of the things that will be necessary to reduce the impact of man made climate change.

So we can do it.
What is now needed is global focus on climate change in the same way as the global focus on the Coronavirus threat.

United58

What is now needed is global focus on climate change in the same way as the global focus on the Coronavirus threat.
Sadly, we won't get that until it's severely affecting first world countries - by which point it will probably be too late.