Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

TheReligion

Abusive
This has been coming really. Public feeling is turning somewhat and XR would do well to take a step back and think where they go from here. There's only so much people will tolerate.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This has been coming really. Public feeling is turning somewhat and XR would do well to take a step back and think where they go from here. There's only so much people will tolerate.
That is a very fine point. This is going to be a marathon and certainly not a sprint.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Watching them dragged off the train is so satisfying.

Fecking posh idiots dont realise people need to go to work for money.

Josep Dowling

I have read with interest Lewis Hamilton current feelings about what humanity is doing to our planet.
Now. I can imagine people saying that it is hypocrisy for someone like Hamilton and his sport to suddenly realise what is happening.
But to me, having someone as high profile as Lewis Hamilton talking openly about the most important subject and advocating a vegan diet is on balance a positive thing.
Completely disagree. It just shows how delusional a lot of these celebrities are. They go galavanting round the world in planes, stay in posh hotels with lots of one use items, have big petrol guzzling cars, have much bigger houses which use more energy yet he’s decided a vegan diet will solve the worlds problems.

Josep Dowling

The reality is government need to get stricter with a lot of things. There is so many things that we as a country could do:

Force any new builds to have solar panels on their roof.

Incentivise people to buy electric cars in the cites rather than ‘fining’ them for driving petrol. Why do most affordable electric cars look shit? Can’t they style them like a normal looking car?

More charging points. Why can’t they do some system in big cities like London where people can rent electric cars and leave them at charging points around the City?

Surely they can make buses electric now?

Most recycling plants don’t recycle black plastic packaging. Ban black packaging until it can be universally recycled.

I can’t believe the UK doesn’t have the return of plastic bottles scheme like most of Europe. I’ve seen homeless people digging through bins looking for plastic bottles. A winner all round. Gets plastic recycled, keeps streets cleaner and the homeless get some money.

I was in Copenhagen last week and nearly everywhere sold loose tea rather than tea bags. Every road has wide cycle lanes and you can rent electric scooters with an app.

The UK government simply doesn’t do enough. It’s easy to blame China but we need to deal with what we can do.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Surely they can make buses electric now?
They already have. London has over 200 with more in production. They have the most in Europe. With over 4,000 hybrid busses last year, so even more now. They are phasing out the old busses and bringing in electric ones. You can't just expect them to instantly ditch over 9,000 busses and replace them with fully electric ones.

Josep Dowling

They already have. London has over 200 with more in production. They have the most in Europe. With over 4,000 hybrid busses last year, so even more now. They are phasing out the old busses and bringing in electric ones. You can't just expect them to instantly ditch over 9,000 busses and replace them with fully electric ones.
I appreciate that. I just think given the wealth the UK has we can certainly do things a lot quicker than we are doing.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Extinction Rebellion need to take a step back and re-assess what they're actually trying to achieve. At the moment it seems very disjointed thinking and ideas and more of a club for middle class protesters who want to tick civil disobedience off their bucket list.

For starters the demand for net zero emissions by 2025 is absurd, it is impossible. What is going to happen in a couple of years when we're obviously not going to be hitting that target? Are they just going to keep moving the target for net zero emissions? Why is anyone going to listen to yet another doomsday cult preaching the end of the world every couple of years and then backtracking and saying actually its 2030, 2035, 2040 we need to be net zero.....

The UK adapted the 2050 net zero emissions target which is actually reasonable, there needs to be pressure on that target from right now. At the moment its a meaningless target because we're not doing nearly enough to hit it.

However, predicting civilization and societal downfall in 5, 10 years - which isn't going to happen - is unhelpful. All you are acheiving there is people will turn round in 5 to 10 years time when the world isn't all that different and think what a load of old bollocks all thoe claims were. It's actually going to hinder any chances of climate change progress because there will certainly be vocal pushback from those who point out none of those claims were nearly true and suddenly climate change won't be looking nearly as bad as it will actually be - why is anyone going to believe visions for 2100 when vocal elements of the climate change community were so inaccurate over 2025 and 2030? The climate change doomsday cult needs to be cut loose in favour of those promoting the science and realistic aims need to be getting the attention.

Last edited:

Rudie

Mentary
Why don't they hold protests that the public may actually get behind? Protest companies and offices where flexible/home working is non existent for example, I can imagine a lot of people would actually get behind them then. Attacking the working class is only going to lead to trouble.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Completely disagree. It just shows how delusional a lot of these celebrities are. They go galavanting round the world in planes, stay in posh hotels with lots of one use items, have big petrol guzzling cars, have much bigger houses which use more energy yet he’s decided a vegan diet will solve the worlds problems.
You should read what Lewis Hamilton has said before dismissing it.

Ludens the Red

You should read what Lewis Hamilton has said before dismissing it.
Saw his recent comments, i dunno, kinda read like the onset of depression, but then Hamilton has struck me as someone who has a bit of a narcissistic personality disorder. And the whole whales and dolphin stuff. Of all the shite in the world, the human suffering, to be ranting about dolphins and whales seemed odd.
But yeah it’s going to be very very difficult for his words to resonate with ‘normal people’ as a formula one driver and owner of a private jet who moved to Switzerland and Monaco to basically protect his tax.

Aint gota Kalou

The majority of those who are XR didn't support stopping the tubes. The issue with it being non centralised means that a few individuals can go ahead and do something the majority don't support under the umbrella of XR.

Smores

Extinction Rebellion need to take a step back and re-assess what they're actually trying to achieve. At the moment it seems very disjointed thinking and ideas and more of a club for middle class protesters who want to tick civil disobedience off their bucket list.

For starters the demand for net zero emissions by 2025 is absurd, it is impossible. What is going to happen in a couple of years when we're obviously not going to be hitting that target? Are they just going to keep moving the target for net zero emissions? Why is anyone going to listen to yet another doomsday cult preaching the end of the world every couple of years and then backtracking and saying actually its 2030, 2035, 2040 we need to be net zero.....

The UK adapted the 2050 net zero emissions target which is actually reasonable, there needs to be pressure on that target from right now. At the moment its a meaningless target because we're not doing nearly enough to hit it.

However, predicting civilization and societal downfall in 5, 10 years - which isn't going to happen - is unhelpful. All you are acheiving there is people will turn round in 5 to 10 years time when the world isn't all that different and think what a load of old bollocks all thoe claims were. It's actually going to hinder any chances of climate change progress because there will certainly be vocal pushback from those who point out none of those claims were nearly true and suddenly climate change won't be looking nearly as bad as it will actually be - why is anyone going to believe visions for 2100 when vocal elements of the climate change community were so inaccurate over 2025 and 2030? The climate change doomsday cult needs to be cut loose in favour of those promoting the science and realistic aims need to be getting the attention.
Firstly saying we need to be net zero by 2025 is not saying that if we don't the world will be in a doomsday state by then. It's the point at which if we're not then it's too late to stop what will happen next. That's a big difference but also the target date should not be the last possible point, they've moved the usual 2030 date to 2025 as its quite clear that we need to aggressively target 2025 if we're to achieve 2030.

Secondly, none of the science says 2050 is a reasonable target so why your assertion that this is reasonable?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I really don't get the point. Let's make the country look a mess then people are bound to support us.
I think the idea is to hand yourself in and then refuse bail... block up cells so that they cant arrest other people for actions planned later in the day
Also remember the police are expecting over a million peoples vote marchers tomorrow - and I suspect some tommy robinson types as well so pretty irresponsible I think but all along the plan has been to overwhelm the police and their cell capacity

Fully Fledged

I think the idea is to hand yourself in and then refuse bail... block up cells so that they cant arrest other people for actions planned later in the day
Also remember the police are expecting over a million peoples vote marchers tomorrow - and I suspect some tommy robinson types as well so pretty irresponsible I think but all along the plan has been to overwhelm the police and their cell capacity
So all the lowlife go out on the rob safe in the knowledge that the police are occupied elsewhere. Nice.

These people think they see something that no one else sees. They say wake up or in 20 years time things are going to be really shite while the public are saying no you wake up things are already really shite. I need that gas guzzling car to get to work to keep a roof over my families head, food on the table and clothes on their backs. The idea that the average Joe needs to think about 20 years in the future when they are struggling now is laughable.

JulesWinnfield

West Brom Fan
Firstly saying we need to be net zero by 2025 is not saying that if we don't the world will be in a doomsday state by then. It's the point at which if we're not then it's too late to stop what will happen next. That's a big difference but also the target date should not be the last possible point, they've moved the usual 2030 date to 2025 as its quite clear that we need to aggressively target 2025 if we're to achieve 2030.

Secondly, none of the science says 2050 is a reasonable target so why your assertion that this is reasonable?
Zero by 2050 is the basis for 1.5 degree change by 2100, its a reasonable target that is the basis for something that can be achieved while still minimising damage.

Zero by 2025 is impossible. It is a utterly ridiculous target. You could elect the Green Party tomorrow and it would still be utter fantasy.

Fully Fledged

Zero by 2050 is the basis for 1.5 degree change by 2100, its a reasonable target that is the basis for something that can be achieved while still minimising damage.

Zero by 2025 is impossible. It is a utterly ridiculous target. You could elect the Green Party tomorrow and it would still be utter fantasy.
Totally agree the infrastructure and technology is just not there to be carbon neutral in five years it's totally unrealistic.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Much as I dislike to admit it, you are quite right.
Making unachievable targets is actually counterproductive.
In order to achieve any meaningful change, proper recourced and funded plans will be required to implemented.
Climate change is the biggest challenge for humanity. And as such, it absolutely has to be done properly as well as promptly.

Smores

It's not impossible its just incredibly disruptive. The 2050 dates have already been challenged as too late as always every year it seems we underestimate.
And again it's not a 'reasonable target' it's the last point at which we have to have hit net zero to avoid the worst there's nothing reasonable about that and it doesn't exclude the continued warming scenarios.

More than that though is there any evidence to suggest the UK in this kick the can down the road date, which is what this is, will hit it's target? How many times do we need to keep coming up with long term dates to do barely anything, every year we waste makes it's harder. If proper action had been taken in the 90s it wouldn't have required drastic action.

Better to impose drastic actions now in the name of a 2025/2030 target than do feck all and hit 1.5 in 2030-2040 because of it not being possible to take action whilst still being electable.

Last edited:

0le

I suspect what will happen is that the UK will buy more energy from abroad and then make a claim that we have met the zero emission 2050 target.

Fosu-Mens

DFreshKing

It's not impossible its just incredibly disruptive. The 2050 dates have already been challenged as too late as always every year it seems we underestimate.
And again it's not a 'reasonable target' it's the last point at which we have to have hit net zero to avoid the worst there's nothing reasonable about that and it doesn't exclude the continued warming scenarios.

More than that though is there any evidence to suggest the UK in this kick the can down the road date, which is what this is, will hit it's target? How many times do we need to keep coming up with long term dates to do barely anything, every year we waste makes it's harder. If proper action had been taken in the 90s it wouldn't have required drastic action.

Better to impose drastic actions now in the name of a 2025/2030 target than do feck all and hit 1.5 in 2030-2040 because of it not being possible to take action whilst still being electable.
When you say incredibly disruptive you mean millions will die. Stopping third world countries accessing cheap power is going to be the biggest destruction on humans ever if it is allowed. It will also be counter productive towards the goal of climate change. The more poverty the more destruction of the environment. We need a huge over supply of energy to reduce prices around the world which in turn will increase standards of living for the most needy, changing their reliance on environmental destructive activities.

The biggest problem is the energy sector does not want that, they would rather have carbon taxes as they keep prices high.

Fosu-Mens

When you say incredibly disruptive you mean millions will die. Stopping third world countries accessing cheap power is going to be the biggest destruction on humans ever if it is allowed. It will also be counter productive towards the goal of climate change. The more poverty the more destruction of the environment. We need a huge over supply of energy to reduce prices around the world which in turn will increase standards of living for the most needy, changing their reliance on environmental destructive activities.

The biggest problem is the energy sector does not want that, they would rather have carbon taxes as they keep prices high.
I hope you mean "clean energy"?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The only clean energy apart from renewable is going to be Nuclear Fusion. A huge amount of time and money is being invested around the world to both develop a commercial process and accelerate that into production.
Unlike Nuclear Fission, which involves splitting highly radioactive Uranium with equally radioactive Plutonium, Nuclear Fusion tries to replicate the Sun by fusing 2 Hydrogen atoms to form Helium, with Helium being the byproduct.
In the UK, the amount of money being allocated to Nuclear Fusion development is typically pitiful. The government's so called Green Energy policy has allocated just £200m. Contrast that with the billions for HS2 which at best will shave ten or so minutes off rail journeys from London to the midlands.
HS2 will have marginal impact on climate change if at all.
Nuclear Fusion will have a massive impact on climate change.
I would urge anyone to write to their MP calling for a significant increase in funding for Nuclear Fusion.

DFreshKing

I mean the cheapest energy. This will propel third world development which in turn will reduce per capita emissions. This will also speed it up the leveling of population growth in the third world as it has in all the developed nations - once you have stability and plenty, the need for destruction of the environment for resources and the need for large families is reduced.

I do not believe it is fair to hold back the developing world nor do I think it will actually work in any case. It will cause more poverty and more destruction of the environment.

Fosu-Mens

The only clean energy apart from renewable is going to be Nuclear Fusion. A huge amount of time and money is being invested around the world to both develop a commercial process and accelerate that into production.
Unlike Nuclear Fission, which involves splitting highly radioactive Uranium with equally radioactive Plutonium, Nuclear Fusion tries to replicate the Sun by fusing 2 Hydrogen atoms to form Helium, with Helium being the byproduct.
In the UK, the amount of money being allocated to Nuclear Fusion development is typically pitiful. The government's so called Green Energy policy has allocated just £200m. Contrast that with the billions for HS2 which at best will shave ten or so minutes off rail journeys from London to the midlands.
HS2 will have marginal impact on climate change if at all.
Nuclear Fusion will have a massive impact on climate change.
I would urge anyone to write to their MP calling for a significant increase in funding for Nuclear Fusion.
Are they not building a cold fusion reactor/test center in France? Expected to be completed: too late. Works in theory, but remains to be seen if it works in practice. Also got thoriumreactors as a potential long term solution. Problem again is that this is too late. And it has been for some time.