Club Friendlies - Aston Villa vs Man United on 12/09/2020

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We played some lovely stuff in first half but once Scott went off, we just never got going in 2nd.

I know its a friendly but if we get Sancho, its not Greenwood who is in danger of losing his place, its Rashford. Same mistakes like he has been doing since restart and didnt have a good game at all.

Motorman

We played some lovely stuff in first half but once Scott went off, we just never got going in 2nd.

I know its a friendly but if we get Sancho, its not Greenwood who is in danger of losing his place, its Rashford. Same mistakes like he has been doing since restart and didnt have a good game at all.
I've said this for a while. Rashford is under threat from Greenwood coming through.

I'm hoping the rest has done Rashford good and got 90mins jnder belt now, he can push on.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Takeaways from the game:

Positives:
- It looks to me that we have got a real player in VDB, he finds space well, looks to get forward and is technically very good. He will be a menace alongside Martial and Bruno.
- Shaw is back, he looks fit and sharp and it’s clear to see what we miss without him.
- At times (particularly first half) we played some lovely football and it’s clear to see Oles style imprinted on the team now, that will set us in good stead.
- Mengi is a real talent and I hope he gets game time this season.

Negatives:
- Fosu Mensah is a nice lad but he’s not Utd quality truth be told. I’d rather we sell him on before he becomes real deadwood.
- I think we are also approaching the end of Dalot in a Utd shirt. Think it’s a real shame as there is talent there but he’s clearly regressed and I don’t think he’s going to cut it, even as a squad player at the moment.
- We still can’t convert easy chances (hopefully be better with our first team).
- James continues to frustrate me, just doesn’t have that ability to lift his head at the key moments like top players and as a result just hits and hopes. I do worry about the fact he’s going to have to play plenty of football again this season.
- Rashford likewise could be an issue. I hope he can rediscover his top level because on this form he’s adding very little and truthfully causing many good opportunities to disappear with either a poor pass, control or wrong decision. He’s got to sharpen up for us to stand a chance.

Overall, it’s not a game we can take a massive amount from conclusively but it does still concern me that we haven’t really strengthened. Many of these players are not good enough and they will be asked again to contribute 25-30 games of our season and i can’t see us getting the results we need in that scenario. I still think Sancho is a necessity for this squad to do anything of note.

wolvored

Takeaways from the game:

Positives:
- It looks to me that we have got a real player in VDB, he finds space well, looks to get forward and is technically very good. He will be a menace alongside Martial and Bruno.
- Shaw is back, he looks fit and sharp and it’s clear to see what we miss without him.
- At times (particularly first half) we played some lovely football and it’s clear to see Oles style imprinted on the team now, that will set us in good stead.

Negatives:
- Fosu Mensah is a nice lad but he’s not Utd quality truth be told. I’d rather we sell him on before he becomes real deadwood.
- I think we are also approaching the end of Dalot in a Utd shirt. Think it’s a real shame as there is talent there but he’s clearly regressed and I don’t think he’s going to cut it, even as a squad player at the moment.
- We still can’t convert easy chances (hopefully be better with our first team).
- James continues to frustrate me, just doesn’t have that ability to lift his head at the key moments like top players and as a result just hits and hopes. I do worry about the fact he’s going to have to play plenty of football again this season.
- Rashford likewise could be an issue. I hope he can rediscover his top level because on this form he’s adding very little and truthfully causing many good opportunities to disappear with either a poor pass, control or wrong decision. He’s got to sharpen up for us to stand a chance.

Overall, it’s not a game we can take a massive amount from conclusively but it does still concern me that we haven’t really strengthened. Many of these players are not good enough and they will be asked again to contribute 25-30 games of our season and i can’t see us getting the results we need in that scenario. I still think Sancho is a necessity for this squad to do anything of note.
Thats not looking too clever then going into the season. I dont think Sancho is happening, how did Grealish play overall?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thats not looking too clever then going into the season. I dont think Sancho is happening, how did Grealish play overall?
I fear you might be right on Sancho.

You know what I thought Grealish played really well again. I have to say I’m a big fan and have been impressed with Grealish every time I watch him. There’s something almost arrogant about the ease with which he beats players and draws fouls. Trouble is I don’t think he’s worth £80 mill but he’s undoubtedly a top player in the making.

wolvored

I fear you might be right on Sancho.

You know what I thought Grealish played really well again. I have to say I’m a big fan and have been impressed with Grealish every time I watch him. There’s something almost arrogant about the ease with which he beats players and draws fouls. Trouble is I don’t think he’s worth £80 mill but he’s undoubtedly a top player in the making.
Thanks. If he can play from the right half as good as he can from the left he could cover the wide positions. At £30 maybe £40 mill cheaper than Sancho I would pitch this to Woody if I ws Ole. It would also give Rashford a kick up the ass.

siw2007

A typical first half for us then.....
Dunno, didn’t think we were capable of crossing the ball into dangerous areas until last night.

Looked somewhat jaded in the 2nd half and the changes wouldn’t have helped. So yes it’s good that we look like a team that could play well but I’m not sure what to expect next week to be honest.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Grealish looked impressive again. His carrying of the ball really is such a great outlet,especially for Villa.
Oh and he draws fouls. He's really good at drawing fouls. :lol:

Eddy_JukeZ

Grealish looked impressive again. His carrying of the ball really is such a great outlet,especially for Villa.
Most fouled player in Europe last season I'm pretty sure.

He would have been a great signing.

mattunited1978

doommonger
James is absolutely useless, Maguire was equally bad yesterday, Rashford shite, VDB looked good and TFM did well at CB.
Friendly or not, performance was abysmal by just about everyone.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
James is absolutely useless, Maguire was equally bad yesterday, Rashford shite, VDB looked good and TFM did well at CB.
This is Harry's only game of pre-season. Gareth Southgate taking him out of the England squad might have helped him mentally, but will not have done him any favours regarding match fitness.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Van De Beek actually looks pretty good so far. Do we reckon he’ll be able to play this role with Pogba next to him?
You’ll have to wait for a while to find out, Pogba won’t be ready next Sat for sure

Irrational.

If we don't get Thiago then I'd like to see us go for him next summer. He's very hard working and tenacious as well, would be a great asset to any club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Talk about hyperbole ffs :lol:

that was villas first team and we had arguably 4 first team players, and we dominated them. Yes we didn’t score which was disappointing but we had 7/8 decent chances, they had literally 1 and scored it.

saying every bodies performances were abysmal shows nobody can take you seriously.

Suvvernmanc

that was villas first team and we had arguably 4 first team players, and we dominated them. Yes we didn’t score which was disappointing but we had 7/8 decent chances, they had literally 1 and scored it.

saying every bodies performances were abysmal shows nobody can take you seriously.
I'm watching it now, only 13 minutes in and we look good, creating chances and moving it well. And yes we are missing 8 starters. I'm not expecting too much to be honest. Pre season friendlies mean nothing at all. Some people honestly love to moan about everything.

savais

Just finished watching the game and realize that fitness is the most important thing. Most of them were fine, I thought Mctominay was tidy on the ball. Henderson didnt have much to do but seemed to play with some assurance, no nerves. VDB was always busy and finding space, good first touch. To be honest, Galbraith was equally impressive and seems to have the exact same traits. He was never touted as highly as Garner or Levitt but, to me, he was very impressive today. Would be a shame if he doesn't get a chance at Utd, especially if Thiago ends up coming. Fosu Mensah did fine at centreback, which I think is his best position. Disappointments were Maguire, James, and Rashford, but its the first game back, so cant be too harsh. With the lack of a proper preseason, we can expect some loose performances and results in the first couple of games...so not expecting them to start off well. Will be around October when we will seem them round into form.

prateik

The conclusions people are drawing from the first(only) pre season friendly :lol:

devips

My take from this match. In Lingard, James, McTominay and Mengi we have very good squad options. Lingard will just have to re-find his scoring touch. Dalot looks demotivated for some reason. The way United played in the first half was good to watch.
We can now look forward to the season ahead.

hmchan

I'm watching it now, only 13 minutes in and we look good, creating chances and moving it well. And yes we are missing 8 starters. I'm not expecting too much to be honest. Pre season friendlies mean nothing at all. Some people honestly love to moan about everything.
This is also irrelevant if pre-season friendlies mean nothing at all.

savais

He looked quite nervous to me. Both McTominay and Fosu-Mensah took up more defensive roles and deeper positions to free him up, and at almost every opportunity, he turned back to the defence for a safe pass. He started looking more comfortable when was the first player to receive the ball off of the defenders and had more time on the ball. Whenever he was pressured, he lost the ball a bit too easily.

He's talented for sure, but he's not ready for the top flight yet. I think he needs a loan in the lower leagues in order to get used to playing against bigger footballers.
Not sure I agree. First of all, he replaced Mctominay, so not sure about your second sentence. He did lose the ball a couple of times, but otherwise was very impressive.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep. As usual context is important and after the match I came away thinking how did we not win rather than oh no villa beat us. If they battered us for 90 minutes and we snuck a 1-0 win I’d be much more concerned.

the main issue is we aren’t finishing or getting enough people in the box for a tap in.

rashford and lingard seem more concerned with trying to be playmakers than goal scorers, James is a bundle of nervous energy and couldn’t finish his dinner. Ighalo seemed unfit and wasn’t poaching like we expect, perhaps he was looking more for cut backs and most of the crosses came in the channel between keeper and defence.

anyway, Shaw, mctominay and VDB impressed the most for me.

Wayne's World

My take from this match. In Lingard, James, McTominay and Mengi we have very good squad options. Lingard will just have to re-find his scoring touch. Dalot looks demotivated for some reason. The way United played in the first half was good to watch.
We can now look forward to the season ahead.
Is that suppose to be some sort of sick joke? Reason this "rebuild" Ole keeps going on about is that the likes of Lingard and James are still at the club and the reason we are watching our biggest rivals win everything every bloody season.

Banana Republic

Good first half with several solid performances. Special mention to McTominay, Shaw and the forgotten man Fosu-Mensah. Could he actually be an option at center back?

McTominay´s absence in the second half was noticeable, as we lost a bit of control in the midfield. Galbraith looked not quite ready for this level.

van de Beek had a careful start of the game, but got better as the game went on. United´s best player in the second half.

.....Rashford still looking not at his best, and Maguire was pretty bad. Not much to applaud Dalot for either......

I've said this for a while. Rashford is under threat from Greenwood coming through.....
Only a few people mentioning Scott McTominay‘s performance in the first half, where he played very well and was the main reason we dominated the midfield. It was a good pairing with Donny alongside, who started off quietly, but gradually became more confident with his new team mates as the game went on.
Apart from conceding the goal, which came out of the blue, the first half was a totally one sided affair with the reds in complete control.
Once McTominay went off at half time, it all fell apart for Utd and we struggled for the first 15 or 20 mins of the second half, until Mengi came on and Ole pushed TFM into midfield alongside Galbraith, with Donny taking a more AM role.

Despite initial nerves and getting hassled off the ball early in the 2nd, I thought Galbraith grew into the role and got better. Clearly he’s not ready and is physically way off, but I thought he played well in the circumstances and looks a real future prospect.

A good game for Shaw, particularly in the first half. He was almost back to his best early on and he needed those minutes coming back from injury.

I hate to say it, but surprisingly it was a good game for Lingard, who was a totally different player from what we usually see, particularly in the first half and later on in the 2nd. I still think we should get rid and like most of the caff, think he’s a waste of space, but credit where it’s due, he put a rare shift in.

The real concern is Rashford. He started off reasonably well, but it didn’t last long and overall he was our worst player on the pitch yesterday.
OK, he was playing in an unfamiliar, deeper and more central role, but he still shows poor decision making, a poor first touch and his off the ball movement and positioning is awful. We lost possession a few times when he lost the ball or made a poor pass.

Many were putting his recent poor performances down to coming back from injury and not being 100% fit, but he‘s showed similar weaknesses when he was in form. Sadly, I just don’t think he’s ever going to be more than what we’ve seen so far.
I agree with others, it’s Rashford’s place in the team that could be in jeopardy if we bring in someone like Sancho, or a new striker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Suvvernmanc

Yep. As usual context is important and after the match I came away thinking how did we not win rather than oh no villa beat us. If they battered us for 90 minutes and we snuck a 1-0 win I’d be much more concerned.

the main issue is we aren’t finishing or getting enough people in the box for a tap in.

rashford and lingard seem more concerned with trying to be playmakers than goal scorers, James is a bundle of nervous energy and couldn’t finish his dinner. Ighalo seemed unfit and wasn’t poaching like we expect, perhaps he was looking more for cut backs and most of the crosses came in the channel between keeper and defence.

anyway, Shaw, mctominay and VDB impressed the most for me.
Good assessment. I'm currently at 50 minutes in and we should have scored 2 or 3 easily. Shaw has whipped in 3 glorious crosses that should have had ighalo on the end of them, James could have a hat trick if was actually any good, lingard is being Lingard and Rashford needs to improve big time.

With Bruno, Martial, Matic, Greenwood and Pogba playing we would have scored 8 going by how much better we were than villa.

Maureen-yo

OK these fake updates got boring instantly
Only a few people mentioning Scott McTominay‘s performance in the first half, where he played very well and was the main reason we dominated the midfield. It was a good pairing with Donny alongside, who started off quietly, but gradually became more confident with his new team mates as the game went on.
Apart from conceding the goal, which came out of the blue, the first half was a totally one sided affair with the reds in complete control.
Once McTominay went off at half time, it all fell apart for Utd and we struggled for the first 15 or 20 mins of the second half, until Mengi came on and Ole pushed TFM into midfield alongside Galbraith, with Donny taking a more AM role.

Despite initial nerves and getting hassled off the ball early in the 2nd, I thought Galbraith grew into the role and got better. Clearly he’s not ready and is physically way off, but I thought he played well in the circumstances and looks a real future prospect.

A good game for Shaw, particularly in the first half. He was almost back to his best early on and he needed those minutes coming back from injury.

I hate to say it, but surprisingly it was a good game for Lingard, who was a totally different player from what we usually see, particularly in the first half and later on in the 2nd. I still think we should get rid and like most of the caff, think he’s a waste of space, but credit where it’s due, he put a rare shift in.

The real concern is Rashford. He started off reasonably well, but it didn’t last long and overall he was our worst player on the pitch yesterday.
OK, he was playing in an unfamiliar, deeper and more central role, but he still shows poor decision making, a poor first touch and his off the ball movement and positioning is awful. We lost possession a few times when he lost the ball or made a poor pass.

Many were putting his recent poor performances down to coming back from injury and not being 100% fit, but he‘s showed similar weaknesses when he was in form. Sadly, I just don’t think he’s ever going to be more than what we’ve seen so far.
I agree with others, it’s Rashford’s place in the team that could be in jeopardy if we bring in someone like Sancho, or a new striker.
I didn’t get to see the match ( I’m sunning myself in Madeira and laughing at the CR7 statue every day), in what way was Lingard different?

devips

Is that suppose to be some sort of sick joke? Reason this "rebuild" Ole keeps going on about is that the likes of Lingard and James are still at the club and the reason we are watching our biggest rivals win everything every bloody season.
My advice : watch matches.

mattunited1978

doommonger

Your a highly strung one arnt you!

Im not overly interested in how seriously people take me, i dont need my ego stroked.

You talk about hyperbole, but claim nobody can take me seriously because my opinions different to yours...Pot calling the kettle :lol: the level of arrogance is also quite staggering, when you say nobody, have you been nominated to speak for everybody? Because reading through this board, theres a real mixed bag ranging from Awful to Ok to pretty happy with how the players performed...Some are saying Lingard and James proved theyr good squad options, some cant wait to get them out the club...What do you say cafe spokesperson? Who we taking seriously from now on? :lol:

If you were impressed by the individual performance of most of our players, then your standards are low, il still take your opinion seriously, because unlike you, im open to the idea of people having a different opinion. In the meantime, stop being so precious, we dont all have to agree with you :)

Last edited:

Banana Republic

I didn’t get to see the match...........in what way was Lingard different?
He was actually making a positive effort and showing some drive and determination for a change, instead of his usual pointless, half-hearted, headless chicken running around show.
The gormless cheeky chappie smile wasn’t there either and he looked quite focussed for a change.
I thought he made himself very busy and looked nothing like the usual useless player we’ve come to hate.
I can’t see it lasting, but I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

Himannv

Takeaways from the game:

Positives:

Negatives:

Strange take on TFM. I actually thought he had a good game at CB, I think he can actually be an option for us there. It was at CM where I felt he didn't quite do enough.

Positives:
  1. Shaw was fantastic and my MOTM. I'm convinced that those who say he's not a good player simply don't watch him much.
  2. McTominay also really impressed in the first half. Had some fantastic touches.
  3. VDB was ok for me, had a decent game and I think he makes some nice runs into the box when we are in possession. Shaw linked up with him nicely.
  4. Mengi looked good when he came on as well and seems like a good player.

The negatives:
  • Rashford has not been the same player since his injury. He looked like a shadow of himself at times.
  • James was his usual pointless self apart from a few bright spots in the first half.
  • Galbraith didn't impress me much and lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous areas. I suppose it didn't help that VDB played the same way he did when McT was on.
  • Lingard.
  • Maguire had a bad game defensively. Was alright on the ball,

-Supreme-

Good post.

Agree with all of the above - particularly about Rashford's concern

mattunited1978

doommonger
Strange take on TFM. I actually thought he had a good game at CB, I think he can actually be an option for us there. It was at CM where I felt he didn't quite do enough.

Positives:
  1. Shaw was fantastic and my MOTM. I'm convinced that those who say he's not a good player simply don't watch him much.
  2. McTominay also really impressed in the first half. Had some fantastic touches.
  3. VDB was ok for me, had a decent game and I think he makes some nice runs into the box when we are in possession. Shaw linked up with him nicely.
  4. Mengi looked good when he came on as well and seems like a good player.

The negatives:
  • Rashford has not been the same player since his injury. He looked like a shadow of himself at times.
  • James was his usual pointless self apart from a few bright spots in the first half.
  • Galbraith didn't impress me much and lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous areas. I suppose it didn't help that VDB played the same way he did when McT was on.
  • Lingard.
  • Maguire had a bad game defensively. Was alright on the ball,
Agreed on TFM, thought he looked very good at CB, hopefully thats something thats going to be looked at going forward.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This deal is 99% happening (leaving out 1% since you should never deal in absolutes)

Sancho not being done yet is down to a couple things that we know of:

The agent fees had to be negotiated, these are very substantial and agents are becoming increasingly greedy. The fee sums into millions so the club can't just pay up whatever they want. - Reportedly, this has now been settled this past week.
Dortmund want a wild amount of cash upfront. The club is very wise to not simply cave in but attempt to restructure if at all possible.
Sanchos wages are 200k+ reportedly. Putting off completing the transfer until they "have to" is smart from a financial perspective. The club saves up to £2m by doing this.

There's also the question of if the club even can walk away from this deal. One signing in the summer transfer window while our nearest competition have strenghtened, and Chelsea having the biggest transfer window in football since Roman bought the club in 2003, will be looked at as somewhat of a PR disaster. We did more business in the January transfer window (Youth team excluded) so far.

Manchester United chose to keep paying wages and all staff in full during the pandemic outbreak, donating to the local community throug the MUFC foundation, citing the clubs robust financial capabilities as a reason, where other clubs chose to cut wages. They made a significant statement that the club is foundationally solid and do not need help to survive, or even thrive.

Today the club finds itself on the cusp of a new season, in year 2 of a 3 year rebuild for a title challenge, with a outspoken goal to support the manager in the transfer window, and a fanbase that is more than hungry for a new golden era. Walking away from the Jadon Sancho deal while it being such a publicly known 'secret' that the club is after him would be tantamount to admitting financial and ambitious weakness. The ramifications is that it can impact negotiations with the new rumored main shirt sponsor in China (The Haier Group) if the club shows weakness in the transfer market now. Haier is sponsoring a global brand and about to pay a record fee for the pleasure. What will they think if their sponsor money are being given to a club so easily outmatched by several teams in their home league? Who the owners are is irrelevant, Haier are paying for global branding. Success is paramount to achieve this over a 3-5 year deal.

This is one transfer Manchester United do not have the luxury of walking awy from. Expect Sancho at Carrington by Friday.

ColvaleGoa

Highlights SEM to show we dominated the game. Martial or Greenwood there and we win by a tennis score. That too without Pogba and Bruno. Good signs.

Hopefully Ole gets the bleeding backing he so deserves. The signs are there but we need to get some reinforcements.