Club's reply to Sevilla's high ticket prices

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
The endgame isn't to rip off Sevilla fans. The endgame is to get Sevilla to back down.

It's done perfectly because, if the roles were reversed and Sevilla were responding this way to our pricing, it's United I'd be angry with for this, not Sevilla.

redom

Yeah, maybe. I understand the reasoning of deterrence. But I'm not sure, it feels unfair.

First of all, I wouldn't say the gesture would be for nothing, it would be a strong sign of support to and solidarity with your travelling fans in any case. Then, the fact you're subsidizing your fans' tickets is because you deem Sevilla's ticket prices unfair and excessive towards guests. Well, now your ticket prices are unfair und excessive towards guests.

As I said, I understand the logic but in the end, you're taking it out on traveling fans. You're doing the same as Sevilla.
Nah, we're just putting Sevilla's greed onto their own fans, the only reason we're doing it is to subsidize our own fans rather than to take advantage like they were trying to do.

Antonedwin

Yeah, maybe. I understand the reasoning of deterrence. But I'm not sure, it feels unfair.

First of all, I wouldn't say the gesture would be for nothing, it would be a strong sign of support to and solidarity with your travelling fans in any case. Then, the fact you're subsidizing your fans' tickets is because you deem Sevilla's ticket prices unfair and excessive towards guests. Well, now your ticket prices are unfair und excessive towards guests.

As I said, I understand the logic but in the end, you're taking it out on traveling fans. You're doing the same as Sevilla.
We are United , nobody should try to feck with us outside the field.

Great move bythe club , you reap what you sow , now Sevilla fans can only blame their own club

Last edited:

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Great move by you guys.

SirAF

Ageist

Wouldn't have done it without Sevilla doing it first.. The ball is in Sevilla's court, are they going to help out their own fans? Doubt it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Yes. So now it's high time Sevilla club acts and subsidise their fan's tickets. ManUtd could have done this if it was one time thing, when every club starts increasing prices for ManUtd then it's about time club acts more in their and it's fans interests.

cyberman

Great move.
We couldn't refund the fans ourselves or it would send the wrong message to clubs who will try this again and it ends up with Sevilla fecking over their own fans.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
What's your solution then!
I have none. Maybe you're right. Maybe Sevilla will back down, refund their own fans too or lower the original price.
But maybe this will simply end with Sevilla travelling fans, who are not to blame for their club's action, paying 89£ now while you feel triumphant.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It's an excellent response - it's probably the best way for Sevilla to either a) back down over a high ticket price or b) have their fans pressure them to subsidise their tickets (thus effectively agreeing to reduce the price of the ticket).

Well done the club.

SirAF

Ageist
I have none. Maybe you're right. Maybe Sevilla will back down, refund their own fans too or lower the original price.
But maybe this will simply end with Sevilla travelling fans, who are not to blame for their club's action, paying 89£ now while you feel triumphant.
So be it, why should United care? The club can't subsidize the fans every time a club pull a stunt like this.

BarstoolProphet

Geez, I really struggle to see how you can make out United to be the bad guy too in all of this. And whilst offering no solution yourself.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They're not, but it's still on their clubs.

Spanish fans are hardly not-vocal... they could put pressure on their club/raise it with them as our travelling support have done.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Ah yes so United should feel guilty of Sevilla fans paying 89 pounds and instead let their own fans pay 89 pounds.

Excellent answer.

Nick7

Sevilla should compensate their fans then...

Our fans would be paying that if our club didn't subsidise the tickets, so I don't know how this falls on United.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Geez, I really struggle to see how you can make out United to be the bad guy too in all of this. And whilst offering no solution yourself.
I'm not trying to do that. I detailed what part I find questionable about Utds response and why, while expressing that I'm not sure about this. Hope that's ok.

WhereAngelsPlay 606

As opposed to Utd travelling fans, who are not to blame for another club’s actions and have no influence over Sevilla, paying £89. Sevilla fans should start lobbying their own club.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
Ah yes so United should feel guilty of Sevilla fans paying 89 pounds and instead let their own fans pay 89 pounds.

Excellent answer.
If you think it's wrong that Utd fans have to pay 89, surely you must think it's wrong when Sevilla fans have to pay it. Generally speaking.
Now, that Sevilla started it, and this is a tactic to deter other clubs from doing the same, I acknowledge that.

redom

I'm not trying to do that. I detailed what part I find questionable about Utds response and why, while expressing that I'm not sure about this. Hope that's ok.
No fans should have to pay that much but don't you think it's better that the fans of the club who tried to pull this stunt are the ones who foot the bill rather than away fans? they're in a much better position to pressure the club into changing their position than we are as Sevilla may actually care what they have to say when they clearly couldn't care less about what we think about it.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
If you think it's wrong that Utd fans have to pay 89, surely you must think it's wrong when Sevilla fans have to pay it. Generally speaking.
Now, that Sevilla started it, and this is a tactic to deter other clubs from doing the same, I acknowledge that.
The club tried to settle this privately with Sevilla, and it's clear that they were unwilling to budge, and instead stand firm on unfairly charging fans of a club popular enough that there'll be bums on seats anyway.

There's no more reasonable solution than what we've done, in my eyes. It sucks for the travelling Sevilla fans but their frustration should be at their own club, not us.

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
No fans should have to pay that much but don't you think it's better that the fans of the club who tried to pull this stunt are the ones who foot the bill rather than away fans? they're in a much better position to pressure the club into changing their position than we are as Sevilla may actually care what they have to say when they clearly couldn't care less about what we think about it.
Good points.
The club tried to settle this privately with Sevilla, and it's clear that they were unwilling to budge, and instead stand firm on unfairly charging fans of a club popular enough that there'll be bums on seats anyway.

There's no more reasonable solution than what we've done, in my eyes. It sucks for the travelling Sevilla fans but their frustration should be at their own club, not us.
Fair enough.
I'll retreat quietly, now :lol:

Drawfull

Ha! How do you like them oranges.
:lol:

Jokes aside though, unfortunately I think this will come across as a little petulant by United from the point of view of other clubs and the media, and it's a shame there wasn't another way to achieve a similar result.

Of course, our travelling support shouldn't be price-gouged by any club, but neither should any fans of other clubs. If Sevilla won't act on United's suggestions to reduce the ticket price, even if their fans now balk at United's move, it's hardly likely to invoke a change of heart from Sevilla.

redshaw

Fully support the move. United fans shouldn't be fleeced everywhere they go. If they don't listen to us then maybe they'll listen to their own fans and if not it still raises the issue. It's completely unfair.

el3mel

Excellent.

Seville though they can rob United fans without a replay, so let them see we can react too.

We need an rvn

Great idea. Although i would imagine the Sevilla fans would be outraged at their own club.
Only way the Sevilla board will pay any attention is if the fans protest against them though. The Sevilla board have pretty much shot themselves in the feet by not dropping the prices and great move by United. United had no choice and now it's the Sevilla fans who are being punished by their own club. Interesting to see what Sevilla's response will be though

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
I posted earlier in ticket/travel thread about my appreciation for what Utd have done.

I'm one of those going over next month and the original ticket price was outrageous.

To put it into context it's dearer than an entry level champions league cup final ticket.

So fair play to Utd for doing their bit for their own fans. Oh and shame on Sevilla for basically shafting their fans.

Trizy

Excellent. Hopefully more top clubs will follow suit and it will keep ticket hikes away from football.

We need an rvn

It's still unfair on the Sevilla fans though. It's not their fault the club they support are so money grabbing.

We could charge them £100K to park their team bus in the car park instead :)
True, but if United had been in contact with the board on the matter (of reducing out prices) I'm pretty sure United would have told them of our response if they didn't - thus make them very aware they'd be hitting their owns fans' pockets. Now it's the fans turn to throw it back at the Sevilla board and there's only going to be one outcome and that's Sevilla will back down on prices or refund their own fans. Shot themselves in the feet completely