Club's reply to Sevilla's high ticket prices

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
2 wrongs don't make a right. But I expect nothing less from the shoddy way our club has run post Gill and Fergie. We were once a classy club, doing things "the right way".. now just been petty and childish.

the right way isn't to punish poor Sevilla fans (there's a fecking recession in Spain.. have some respect!) just so our luvvies get subsidised tickets.. it is to report Sevilla to the authorities and get on with it.
See ya later johnno

Revan

Assumptionman
2 wrongs don't make a right. But I expect nothing less from the shoddy way our club has run post Gill and Fergie. We were once a classy club, doing things "the right way".. now just been petty and childish.

the right way isn't to punish poor Sevilla fans (there's a fecking recession in Spain.. have some respect!) just so our luvvies get subsidised tickets.. it is to report Sevilla to the authorities and get on with it.
Almost 20 years ago now. Time flies.

Feck 2008 (as good as it was nothing beats the 99 team for me the mental strength and complete midfield that was a team not just one man). This was special because it was at a time when football was still innocent, no money men, no diving, just proper football men.

Enjoyed football more back then, many many world class players around (Baggio in Italy for example, Batitusta etc)
JohnnoWhite? First shitting on the club and then going on about how much better it was before.

fallengt

Report Sevilla to the authorities. :lol:
Oh you sweet innocent child.

PoTMS

Great tagline. Straight in the bin wiv ya.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

Good riddance.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A quick scan suggests the answer is yes.
I'd say undercover massive.
If he wasn't a WUM, I think he soon recognised his error, with about 730 notifications telling him so :)

Then a banning.

It's a cruel world! But we all learnt our lesson at 13!

Acole9

Outstanding
I can't believe they've got the nerve to report us to Uefa, they must've taken inspiration from the mayor of Liverpool going to the police about Chelsea buying Ross Barkley for £15 million!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
It's a fair move. It's not Sevilla fecking their fans though, it's Sevilla trying to feck United fans, and United finding a way to protect them by fecking their fans.

It's a smart tactic but can't work in every scenario, we get the same problem here in Portugal, but the difference between number of fans wishing/capable of travel is so big that the smaller (and some of them really poor) clubs would still do it because the ticket revenue they get in a game like that is far more important than the fans they would have missing in an away game - which are never that many even with low prices.

It's the cost of being a huge club. Supply and demand and all those things.

Redlyn

It's a fair move. It's not Sevilla fecking their fans though, it's Sevilla trying to feck United fans, and United finding a way to protect them by fecking their fans.

It's the cost of being a huge club. Supply and demand and all those things.
Which Sevilla responded by protecting their fans as well. I'm sure United figured the only person/body getting fecked in the end is Sevilla the club as they have to subsidize more than us. Bitten themselves right in the ass.

On your last statement, fear of retaliation should provide an additional element for clubs to consider in future when setting the price.

Bestietom

Just kick them off the park in first game and their fans won't want to come to old trafford.

Baby Groot

Congratulations Sevilla you are now the thrid Spanish club I officially dislike, the other two being Real and Barcelona.

Btw: Well played by United to call their bluff.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
As someone who's going, I'm delighted the club has taken the edge off the price, but I'm not happy that Seville fans are paying the price for it. To complain about the high price we were charged and then to do exactly the same thing to opposition fans, smacks of hypocrisy. We need to be bigger than that

MadMike

As someone who's going, I'm delighted the club has taken the edge off the price, but I'm not happy that Seville fans are paying the price for it. To complain about the high price we were charged and then to do exactly the same thing to opposition fans, smacks of hypocrisy. We need to be bigger than that
Considering that the club category cannot simply subsidise fans because that creates a terrible precedence where other clubs overcharge as much as they want knowing that Utd will chip in... which of the two scenarios do you prefer:
a) You pay the full £90 price Sevilla charge, while their fans pay £59 or
b) Sevilla fans pay £90 and you pay £90 but you are refunded £30.

There is literally no 3rd scenario here that doesn't make the club look like fools ready to be taken advantage of.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It’s Sevilla that are charging the ridiculous prices in the first place, so United are indirectly making it so Sevilla are fecking over their own fans. If they were any sort of decent club they’d refund the difference to their own fans and not charge a fortune next time a big clubs in town.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Apparently Sevilla fans are now being refunded by their own club so they aren't paying any extra either

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Considering that the club category cannot simply subsidise fans because that creates a terrible precedence where other clubs overcharge as much as they want knowing that Utd will chip in... which of the two scenarios do you prefer:
a) You pay the full £90 price Sevilla charge, while their fans pay £59 or
b) Sevilla fans pay £90 and you pay £90 but you are refunded £30.

There is literally no 3rd scenario here that doesn't make the club look like fools ready to be taken advantage of.
I think we all know united wouldn't do this time and time again and this time its using the extra from Sevilla fans to sub us. Two wrongs don't make a right fella; we've been ripped off for as long as I can remember, but do we need to do the same? It doesn't sit right with me that Spanish lads are being charged extra, because their club are looking to make a killing off us. So my preference, would be the club do what they feel is right for us; be that subsidising out of our coffers, or taking Sevilla to UEFA, not taking money out of the pockets of Spanish fans.

MadMike

I think we all know united wouldn't do this time and time again and this time its using the extra from Sevilla fans to sub us. Two wrongs don't make a right fella; we've been ripped off for as long as I can remember, but do we need to do the same? It doesn't sit right with me that Spanish lads are being charged extra, because their club are looking to make a killing off us. So my preference, would be the club do what they feel is right for us; be that subsidising out of our coffers, or taking Sevilla to UEFA, not taking money out of the pockets of Spanish fans.
You could have just said a). It don't have to sit right with you, to each their own. But it sits right with the majority of fans judging by the responses on this thread.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
It’s Sevilla that are charging the ridiculous prices in the first place, so United are indirectly making it so Sevilla are fecking over their own fans. If they were any sort of decent club they’d refund the difference to their own fans and not charge a fortune next time a big clubs in town.
We get shafted season after season, both at home and abroad, so if the club are going to take this stance from now on, then we are in for some fun and games. What would have embarrassed Sevilla more and made more of a statement, would have been for the club to take the financial hit and make a statement along the lines of, 'we have more respect for travelling fans, than to take out our frustrations on them, so we will keep our prices at the normal rate.'

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
You could have just said a). It don't have to sit right with you, to each their own. But it sits right with the majority of fans judging by the responses on this thread.
How many on here will be traveling, or travel regularly? Those who do, will know we get the shit end of the stick, more often than not, so does this mean a new stance from the club, defending our rights? I'd suggest not

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Apparently Sevilla fans are now being refunded by their own club so they aren't paying any extra either
Then it's turning into a joke fella; they over charge us, so we over charge them, with both clubs subsidising the travelling fans. It'll be my dad can beat your dad next... As I said earlier, we had the opportunity to make a positive statement, but we lost our way.
But if others; as its been suggested, are happy to see fans being ripped off, then so be it.

Sylar

Then it's turning into a joke fella; they over charge us, so we over charge them, with both clubs subsidising the travelling fans. It'll be my dad can beat your dad next... As I said earlier, we had the opportunity to make a positive statement, but we lost our way.
But if others; as its been suggested, are happy to see fans being ripped off, then so be it.
Whats the positive statement?
You said you wanted United to take this to Uefa which it seems they did but Uefa werent interested.
It seems United spoke privately with Sevilla about this but were dismissed.
This is basically calling Sevilla out on it and doing whats best for their own fans.

Yes United could have subsidized their own fans without doing this, but then every single club going forward would take the same liberty.

Sevilla will have to use the money they made from United fans to reimburse their own fans and vice versa. I think Sevilla end up losing out on this as there might be more Sevilla fans travelling to Manchester vs United fans travelling there.

MadMike

We get shafted season after season, both at home and abroad, so if the club are going to take this stance from now on, then we are in for some fun and games. What would have embarrassed Sevilla more and made more of a statement, would have been for the club to take the financial hit and make a statement along the lines of, 'we have more respect for travelling fans, than to take out our frustrations on them, so we will keep our prices at the normal rate.'
The only statement that would have sent is that the club are idiots ready for milking. What world do you live in where letting others profiteer off you won't result in systematically repeated behaviour? Because it ain't no world that I know of.

How many on here will be traveling, or travel regularly? Those who do, will know we get the shit end of the stick, more often than not, so does this mean a new stance from the club, defending our rights? I'd suggest not
I don't know how many would be travelling. I'd be careful in thinking that because you are travelling, your opinion represents the majority of the travelling fans.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
I don't know how many would be travelling. I'd be careful in thinking that because you are travelling, your opinion represents the majority of the travelling fans.
What I was thinking is... do fans who travel want to see other traveling fans ripped off? This one doesn't, so I'm speaking for myself. Do you not care?
The only statement that would have sent is that the club are idiots ready for milking.
Nonsense... It was an opportunity to both stick up for our travelling supporters and come out of it looking classy for once. Instead we took the, 'if you shit on us, we'll shit on you,' approach. I'd like to think we are bigger and better than that and if that puts me in the minority... I can live with it.

Lennon7

I’m sorry but soft words like that isn’t going to change anything. Yes we get shafted so this is a good step towards saving our fans money in Europe and cup ties. The premier league has already taken a brilliant step by putting a £30 cap on away tickets - nothing exists like that in European football.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Yes United could have subsidized their own fans without doing this, but then every single club going forward would take the same liberty.
They aren't allowed, but they take them anyway, so that is where the club should be working on our behalf. The rules over allocation and prices and broken regularly, so why not fight every fight for us.
You said you wanted United to take this to Uefa which it seems they did but Uefa werent interested
They are UEFA rules, so make them interested. One of the advantages of being a huge club, is that we carry clout; so use it

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
I’m sorry but soft words like that isn’t going to change anything. Yes we get shafted so this is a good step towards saving our fans money in Europe and cup ties. The premier league has already taken a brilliant step by putting a £30 cap on away tickets - nothing exists like that in European football.
Showing respect for travelling fans are, 'soft words?' and I think you'll find there is legislation regarding allocation and pricing in European matches, they just don't get enforced; just as they haven't over here for years.

Sylar

They aren't allowed, but they take them anyway, so that is where the club should be working on our behalf. The rules over allocation and prices and broken regularly, so why not fight every fight for us.

They are UEFA rules, so make them interested. One of the advantages of being a huge club, is that we carry clout; so use it
Thing is Sevilla didnt break any rules. They found a loophole which resulted in United fans being shafted.
Other clubs would easily do the same thing.
United have found a solution which in theory seems like its fckin over Sevilla fans (who themselves hated the decision by the club). but has as a result caused a stalemate with both sets of fans being subsidised.

You (and a few others) are saying its a wrong move and that there are other solutions but nobody is really explaining what that solution is.
Saying United should take a hit is nonsensical.
Saying United should do something they already tried, but... "try harder" is not a solution.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
Thing is Sevilla didnt break any rules. They found a loophole which resulted in United fans being shafted.
Other clubs would easily do the same thing.
United have found a solution which in theory seems like its fckin over Sevilla fans (who themselves hated the decision by the club). but has as a result caused a stalemate with both sets of fans being subsidised.

You (and a few others) are saying its a wrong move and that there are other solutions but nobody is really explaining what that solution is.
Saying United should take a hit is nonsensical.
Saying United should do something they already tried, but... "try harder" is not a solution.
Sometimes trying harder is the solution fella and if there are loop holes, then take the lead in getting them closed. Part of our problem, is that the club have allowed us to be ripped off for so long, they almost accept it as being par for the course. I guarantee you, if Seville had only added on extra 10 or 15 euros, then the club wouldn't have looked twice at it and there in lies the real problem.

Sylar

Sometimes trying harder is the solution fella and if there are loop holes, then take the lead in getting them closed. Part of our problem, is that the club have allowed us to be ripped off for so long, they almost accept it as being par for the course. I guarantee you, if Seville had only added on extra 10 or 15 euros, then the club wouldn't have looked twice at it and there in lies the real problem.
Possibly, but you got to start somewhere.
Whos to say United have done two things:
-Ongoing conversation with Uefa for the long-term
-This method for the short-term so that the current fans arent ripped off.

If they were only talking to Uefa, who knows how long this could take. And in the interim, United fans would have to pay.
Or whos to say they didnt start this when United visited those other clubs (eg Midtjylland where the same thing happened) and because they didnt do the same thing then, those who travelled that day were ripped off?

Lennon7

Showing respect for travelling fans are, 'soft words?' and I think you'll find there is legislation regarding allocation and pricing in European matches, they just don't get enforced; just as they haven't over here for years.
I don’t think United are showing disrespect to the Sevilla fans. They’re urging Sevilla to do the right thing, as well as sending a message to other clubs that try to extort us. It’s not on and it needs to stop - being the bigger man in the world of business (which is what football clubs are now) get you absolutely no where.

Skills

Snitch
Why are people still complaining? None of the fans are getting screwed now you feckwits. We cornered them into subsiding their own set so both set of fans are paying a more reasonable amount. And at the same time set a precedent to make other clubs think twice about doing something like this.

TimScoreboard

Supports
Palermo
I don’t think United are showing disrespect to the Sevilla fans.
Disrespecting... or using them to make a point; for me we are wrong whatever the reason.
They’re urging Sevilla to do the right thing, as well as sending a message to other clubs that try to extort us.
The right thing has been to see us getting ripped off a bit, instead of massively.
As i said to the other lad on here... if they had only made a moderate increase, regardless of what they have charged others, then the club would have done nothing. The message we have sent out for years, is... rip us off, because we are united and we expect it. If that stops, then fantastic; but I don't see it and I don't see the club fighting to ensure we are treated the same as everyone else

Lennon7

Disrespecting... or using them to make a point; for me we are wrong whatever the reason.
The right thing has been to see us getting ripped off a bit, instead of massively.
As i said to the other lad on here... if they had only made a moderate increase, regardless of what they have charged others, then the club would have done nothing. The message we have sent out for years, is... rip us off, because we are united and we expect it. If that stops, then fantastic; but I don't see it and I don't see the club fighting to ensure we are treated the same as everyone else
Is pushing Sevilla’s ridiculous pricing onto their own fans rather than our fans not fighting it?

automaticflare

I think it is the right move by the club and should be applauded.

Basically it forces sevilla fans to engage their club which united by all accounts had already done. You can't go on forever subsidizing ticket prices so taking this stand sets precedent now and most likely no other club will do same as Sevilla have done as United will take the same approach again.

The money madness for this game is insane. Like how much more money would sevilla get by bumping tickets 30 quid? about 30k if 1000 fans travel. It is nothing really just shows absolute greed and contempt for your opponents.

Club cannot win sometimes. Take a stance to protect our own fans which is all they can do and they get ragged on for not protecting Sevilla fans. Credit where it is due to the club IMO. They have their faults but this was the right move in my book.

Redlyn

@TimScoreboard Fact is as it stands no one is getting shafted as Sevilla were forced to see the error of their ways and subsidize their own fans. Win-win.
Not sure why anyone would rather united fans or club getting shafted than the current win-win situation.

Ravelation

Krump at me Bro
It would have been wrong if United had increased the prices in response, and kept the money, that would have been unfair to the Sevilla fans, but we are not keeping the money we are refunding the difference, so our fans are paying normal prices, thus, it now becomes sevillas fault entirely that their fans are paying huge prices with no recompense

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes it's a joke but it's entirely of Sevilla's making, we have played a blinder on this one IMO

No fans are being ripped off and that's only due to the moves made by United to force Sevilla to do what they should have done in the first place, you should be proud of the club on this one!

Listar

Why don't you try harder instead of asking others to try harder for you? It is easy sitting there to ask others to try harder isn't it? How hard have you tried yourself? Have you try contacting UEFA yourself? If you have and they don't respond, why don't you try harder?