Coaches Voice: In Conversation with Ralf Rangnick

C'est Moi Cantona

It's one thing to credit him for being a trailblazer, but I don't really think that this is relevant at all when it comes to a coaching job in the here and now: the students seem to have (far) surpassed their master a long time ago.
Got to admit this crossed my mind before reading this, but it's big a change from what we usually do when we are faced with a failed regime, so I'm happy to go with it, even though I don't doubt we are going to have to go through alot more pain before the possibility us of finally emerging from the post SAF hangover.

mav_9me

Theyre the best team in Europe and probably play the best football in Europe IMO. Breezed through the CL group. Humiliating defeat in the cup though.
That humiliating defeat came at the hands of another Rangnick disciple, Adi Hutter, also the future manager of Manchester United.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Got to admit this crossed my mind before reading this, but it's big a change from what we usually do when we are faced with a failed regime, so I'm happy to go with it, even though I don't doubt we are going to have to go through alot more pain before the possibility us of finally emerging from the post SAF hangover.
Rangnick has a great mind for football and he's done some good work as a coach, just not at the highest level. For an interim coach he's an interesting choice. I just find it a bit amusing how people now put him on a pedestal together with the current set of German elite coaches, because he had some stimulating chats with them before their careers even fully started or because he explained the virtues of zonal marking 25 years ago.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rangnick has a great mind for football and he's done some good work as a coach, just not at the highest level. For an interim coach he's an interesting choice. I just find it a bit amusing how people now put him on a pedestal together with the current set of German elite coaches, because he had some stimulating chats with them before their careers even fully started or because he explained the virtues of zonal marking 25 years ago.
Its to be expected now that he has the United job. Like you said, a good coach with clear ideas and I think he'll be really good for United - behind the scenes too, but anyone trying to claim he's a Klopp/Tuchel/Nagelsmann/Flick is way off. Having a similar impact isn't out of the question though, due to the extent we were underperforming and how desperate we were for somebody to actually coach us.

micmac

A fear I have with him is that he would bring a brand of coaching that is only successful by a few of the many coaches he’s supposed to have “godfathered”. By a few I mean maybe 1 or 2. The rest are just midtable Bundesliga coaches.
He haven’t coached for a few years. Would he be able to mange in the Prem or deal with the big personalities in our squad? He’s not really a “winner”, never won anything except the German Mickey Mouse Cup(the same stick people beat Ole and Poch with).
A lot of Social Media Warriors says he’s the next coming but is he coming to implement a system Klopp perfected? I’m expecting the same level of LVG.
Anyways I’m excited to see what he can do behind the scene. I can see him shaking up the hierarchy with some actual football knowledge and influence Carrick, McKenna et al. At least he’ll train them to not cost another manager their jobs. He’s a big personality and a good branding strategist. A good replacement for Woody. He did transform the RedBull teams can’t wait to see the GoPro footage from the training field.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TheReligion

Abusive
And much of that is coming from people from within the German game along with experts in the field...

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think you'll ever fully emerge from that, at least not in a way where you're back challenging and winning titles year after year. SAF was a one off incredible manager. Football has changed and you won't see legacy managers like that any more.

It's probably the right move to try and modernize United's approach with this appointment. You need to move away from the 'United Way'. I think that went with Ferguson. Like you say, there might be some pain along the way but maybe in a few years you'll be in better shape in terms of the structure at the club. You can spend all the money you want but if the direction isn't there, it's hard to really sustain any success. City's last few seasons would've looked very different if they hadn't planned around getting Pep for example.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Theyre the best team in Europe and probably play the best football in Europe IMO. Breezed through the CL group. Humiliating defeat in the cup though.
They're all over the place defensively.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The 2 year consultancy job is the big win here

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The 2 year consultancy job is the big win here
If (and that is a big if) they listen to him and implement his ideas. A consultant is always on the outside. That would change if United gives him a „proper“ job where they have to listen to him.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Do you still want him as a consultant for 2 years if he doesn’t make top 4 and the football is shite?

He must be sure of himself knowing the potential toxicity.