Television Cobra Kai

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Season 1 is still the best one yet. In the second season it still had very good moments but didn't quite like the last few episodes so it got worse for me towards the ending with the nonsense. This time it starts slow and it gets better but there are a lot of plot points during this season that aren't resolved. So I guess this is a good thing as this more like a build up for the upcoming seasons.

As for season 3 I still don't quite like the characters of Sam and Robbie and I think Miguel makes a better couple with the other chick Tory. Also throughout the episodes everything points out for an Alliance between Johnny and daniel in order to compliments each other styles with one being more focused on offense and the other on defense. In the next season they could even develop a brand new style mixing both styles of karate, at least in theory it should be a more balance fighting style.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
My other half said, why are you watching that teenage show?

would be interesting to know the demographics of who watches it, as I think it’s 40-50 year old men, rather than teenagers!
I'm 24 and I watched the original movies when I was much younger. I think the demographic is much wider as a lot of people in my age group definitely watch it too.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Haven't watched this. So is this basically Barney's version of the Karate Kid wherein Zabka is the good guy?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its the perfect amount of sillyness, drama, bad acting, good acting and nostalgia.

Johnny is the show and his 1 liners are great. He's so out of place with modern kids its amazing. Season 3 is a proper return to form after Season 2 wasn't amazing.
For sure in the so bad its amazing section. I'm not huge on Sam in the fight scenes (her actions seem half hearted) and the guy that plays Robbie is a good martial artist but kinda awkward on screen.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Haven't watched this. So is this basically Barney's version of the Karate Kid wherein Zabka is the good guy?
Its kinda like the story of a middle aged former jock dealing with modern nerdy teens in a potty mouthed disney movie like the Mighty Ducks or something set in the Karate Kid universe but cheesier than anything you've ever seen.in the best possible way.

Tiber

I have loved this show since the first episode aired on youtube years ago, but I think I only just realised how fecking great Martin Kove is a Kreese. I'm fairly sure the guy isn't even acting and really is a crazy Vietnam War veteran who runs a dojo.

Last edited:

Tiber

Whilst I loved Barney's version of Karate Kid (and those How I Met Your Mother cameos played a role in inspiring Cobra Kai) and Johnny does indeed explain his version of the past rather differently than Daniel does, its very much a warts and all look at all of the characters involved. You do root for Johnny (well, I certainly do) and its very possible to root against La Russo, but its far more complicated than that. Hell, even it even shows that Krease had a human side.

I have watched since day 1 and have said for years its the best show on TV, but I fully embrace the cheesy aspect of the lines and acting. If that's not your cup of tea? Maybe give it a pass.

Johnny gives his side of the story in this clip, don't think it really has any spoilers for the rest of the show.

Tiber

would be interesting to know the demographics of who watches it, as I think it’s 40-50 year old men, rather than teenagers!

Well i'm in my 20s, I like Karate Kid, but its never been one of my all time favourite movies.

My fiancee originally mocked me when I first started watching Cobra Kai, then I made her sit down and actually watch it. She absolutely loved it and ended up binging series 1 and 2 in a weekend. I wasn't allowed to watch series 3 without her.

Spoony

The People's President
The kids, school and all that jazz are the worst part of the series...in fact they're properly cringey. Everything else makes it worthwhile and not just an awful teen drama.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

I’m 45 and still love the original Karate Kid. This show is one of the very few things I can binge with my 13 year old daughter and share the enjoyment.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I have loved this show since the fired episode aired on youtube years ago, but I think I only just realised how fecking great Martin Kove is a Kreese. I'm fairly sure the guy isn't even acting and really is a crazy Vietnam War veteran who runs a dojo.
:lol:

I’m gutted I watched series 3 in a day and it’s over already

Last edited:

Sylar

I have loved this show since the first episode aired on youtube years ago, but I think I only just realised how fecking great Martin Kove is a Kreese. I'm fairly sure the guy isn't even acting and really is a crazy Vietnam War veteran who runs a dojo.
He's such a great villain, like a proper 80s bad guy and it's awesome. Everybody else had shades of grey leaning one way or another. This guy is full on bad guy.

Waited so I could binge it with my partner (which is funny as I didn't think she would like it to begin with)

Binged the latest season in a day(though it's easy given its 30 mins an ep and 10 EPs) . Now gotta wait for s4.

I do love the call backs to previous movies

Tiber

One thing did bother me about season three:

One quick sorry and Hawk and Demetri are best friends again? Even after breaking his arm? I get that Hawk had doubts for a lot of the season, but he became the biggest bully in all of Cobra Kai, far worse than the Asian guy (is he called Kyler?) ever was and he didn't deserve instant forgiveness.

Oh and Robbie has is just a dull dickhead now. Blaming his dad for his own screwups.

Sylar

One quick sorry and Hawk and Demetri are best friends again? Even after breaking his arm? I get that Hawk had doubts for a lot of the season, but he became the biggest bully in all of Cobra Kai, far worse than the Asian guy ever was and he didn't deserve instant forgiveness.

Oh and Robbie has is just a dull dickhead now. Blaming his dad for his own screwups.
Yeah I think he was forgiven too easily / quickly even if there was some redemption
Maybe it was more a path to redemption than full on one and done now. Although they are teenagers so who knows

But yeah agree with that point, but it was just a slight for me rather than a season ruiner

Tiber

Yeah I think he was forgiven too easily / quickly even if there was some redemption
Maybe it was more a path to redemption than full on one and done now. Although they are teenagers so who knows

But yeah agree with that point, but it was just a slight for me rather than a season ruiner

Oh it didn't anything, just felt rushed.

Im not as into the teen angst side of the show in general. Will Robbie catch Sam kissing Miguel in season 4????

The heart of the show is Johnny, Miguel, Kresse and Daniel imo.

Sylar

Oh it didn't anything, just felt rushed.

Im not as into the teen angst side of the show in general. Will Robbie catch Sam kissing Miguel in season 4????

The heart of the show is Johnny, Muguel, Kresse and Daniel imo.
Yeah I think the adults are the best part but O think that works cos they have the kids to be senseis to.

I don't mind the high school stuff because it's short and doesn't take up much time. It's a good balance but I get what you're saying :)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
The fight scenes amongst the kids are so shit it's insane. That said I still find it fun to watch the series still.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The football scene was ridiculous as well, some of them looked like they've never even been in the same room as a football.

Sylar

The football scene was ridiculous as well, some of them looked like they've never even been in the same room as a football.
That was so bad it was good. Ref was a standard European ref though

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Enjoyed it, but didn’t think it was as good as the previous seasons. The best parts were when it focused on the adults. Kreese is a great bad guy & the flashbacks were well done to explain why he’s such a merciless bastard.

The fight scene at the house was silly. It felt forced that they needed something big to match the school fight from season 2. Also, I didn’t quite get what Tory was hoping to accomplish - was she trying to kill Sam but knows she can’t go to prison because her mum needs her?! Seemed completely unhinged.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Binged it, now I can't wait for the next season. :(
It's well set up for season 4 I think.

They should probably just re-instate that ban on Cobra Kai now that Kreese is back in charge of it.

Johnny's suggestion of Kobra Kai Karate. :lol: That guy get's some cracking lines.

Castia

This show is absolutely brilliant just finished season 3 and it’s quickly becoming one of my favourites

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
S3 on for less than a minute and “all out karate riot” and “violent karate clash” on the news has already tickled me

Oggmonster

One quick sorry and Hawk and Demetri are best friends again? Even after breaking his arm? I get that Hawk had doubts for a lot of the season, but he became the biggest bully in all of Cobra Kai, far worse than the Asian guy (is he called Kyler?) ever was and he didn't deserve instant forgiveness.

Yeah, did seem a bit weird, although they were always going to forgive him so might as well just get it over with quickly I suppose is their thinking.

Is Season 4 confirmed as the last season or anything? I can't see how they stretch it out to 5 seasons without it getting really repetitive.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, did seem a bit weird, although they were always going to forgive him so might as well just get it over with quickly I suppose is their thinking.

Is Season 4 confirmed as the last season or anything? I can't see how they stretch it out to 5 seasons without it getting really repetitive.
Yeah agreed about season 4, unless somehow Cobra Kai cheats their way to a win in the tournament, leaving Miyagi-Do in tatters and season 5 is about their final redemption/comeback and a victor over CK to finally get rid of Kreese?

It's a very popular show, so i guess they might be tempted to stretch it out (like most things on TV anyway) even if it means they lose quality. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen. Rather start another spin off or something.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah agreed about season 4, unless somehow Cobra Kai cheats their way to a win in the tournament, leaving Miyagi-Do in tatters and season 5 is about their final redemption/comeback and a victor over CK to finally get rid of Kreese?

It's a very popular show, so i guess they might be tempted to stretch it out (like most things on TV anyway) even if it means they lose quality. Obviously I hope that doesn't happen. Rather start another spin off or something.
Another spinoff 20 years later where Miguel and Robbie have their own dojos

Oggmonster

Yeah i just can't see how they do without dragging out the current storylines cos the show relies all on nostalgia so if they bring in completely new characters it doesn't really work.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Weakest season so far in terms of quality but it was still a very fun watch. Binged it in a couple of days... and now missing it again. Season 4 would be a logical conclusion but part of me never wants the show to end.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I enjoyed the show a lot initially, but even knowing it's half a parody I found the whole teenage drama scenes too cringy, to be honest I started fast forwarding through quite a few "emotional" dialogues. "Sam" bores me to death. I guess he's a teenager, but Robbie blaming everyone but himself, especially the "I can't hate myself, but I can hate you" scene and going full on Kreese disciple in a matter of days, felt too forced. And I think they have escalated things too much: like that one kid casually beating in another's skull during a CK training session without any visible consequence. Kids fighting each other in the most random places, breaking into and trashing the LaRusso home, robbing that charity money.. In s1 and s2 you could kind of follow how the two sensei's passed on their rivalry onto their students and how mixing that with teenage drama culminated into the school fight. But Kreese's intensity and how eagerly the kids lap it up seems completely over the top to me, even for this show.

Bottom line: I still binged it though and will mostlikely come back for s4.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Another spinoff 20 years later where Miguel and Robbie have their own dojos
Touche :lol:
Yeah i just can't see how they do without dragging out the current storylines cos the show relies all on nostalgia so if they bring in completely new characters it doesn't really work.
Yeah, it's great fun and ill probably continue watching as long as Johnny is included, I guess.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Really enjoyed it. Hawk actor is probably the best at martial arts choreography. It actually feels believable.

I find it hilarious with Kreese, an army war veteran who wants to spend his time making kids beat each other up :lol:

decorativeed

It was completely awesome, I was a bit disappointed with the second season but this was just great. Can’t wait for the next one.
I felt the opposite. Third season was the weakest for me, although I was won over by the end. How many more times can they flip flop on everyone's affiliations!

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
I felt the opposite. Third season was the weakest for me, although I was won over by the end. How many more times can they flip flop on everyone's affiliations!
Personally it helped that Robbie was mainly in the background compared to the previous season. Can’t stand him, such a boring character.

siw2007

This is an awesome TV show!

3rd season was a little slow at times but the finale was just top class entertainment. They really get the fight scenes right!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Have enjoyed it so far. Silliness is at its heart, but my god just phone the fecking police.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I watched the original film back in 1984 as a 9 year old kid who was already martial arts crazy.

I have just binge watched all 3 seasons in less than 2 weeks. It is the cheesiest load of crap that I have ever not been able to stop watching (as I think someone else on here already said).

The teen stuff is full on cringe, but the nostalgia and Johnny's character make it compelling viewing. I keep pissing myself laughing at the Eagle Fang Karate bit whenever I think about it. I loved the squawk sound effect they did when that got revealed first time :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I hate how Sam is supposedly one of the most "trained" fighters in the narrative but when your see her fight, she can barely lift her leg :lol:

Just from their fight choreography, Hawk should be the best followed by Robbie and Miguel.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I hate how Sam is supposedly one of the most "trained" fighters in the narrative but when your see her fight, she can barely lift her leg :lol:

Just from their fight choreography, Hawk should be the best followed by Robbie and Miguel.
She has a bit of a chunky rump I think. Looked as though she put on a bit of weight around the legs and bum between series 1 and 2 as I think she looked far more flexible in the first series.

I shall end this post now before I sound like I am looking too closely at a 25 year old woman.