Television Cobra Kai

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think the show is bizarrely very watchable, despite how unrealistic and cheesy the storyline is.

I genuinely thought that S05 would be the last one after S04 ended because there was nowhere to go, but they seem to keep bringing in new characters, and with the ending S05 had, I have a feeling there would be a S07 as well - as it might be quite tough to set the storyline up with Cobra Kai effectively starting from scratch and have the competition and also get the entire thing to an end

cafecillos

I'm perplexed at your whole word salad to basically just say you don't agree. Interesting
Yes, I wrote a very, very simple three-and-a-half line post to say something mildly negative about a show I've seen a good chunk of. I'm sorry your reading skills made it a word salad for you, I'll try to make my posts simpler in the future if I think there's a chance you'll read them.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I'm genuinely perplexed that some in here actually think this is truly "good". I mean no disrespect, I've certainly watched and enjoyed shows which are just as bad and probably even worse, but come on now. I saw quite a lot of the show (up to a few eps into season 4, I think) with my partner and we simply couldn't get over how bad everything was, from the ridiculous stakes in the script to the embarrassing performances (including what is probably the worst "professional" performance I've ever seen: Robby). I can see the camp appeal, the nostalgia value, and the fact the series doesn't take itself seriously is fairly refreshing for a while, but other than that the series is just a cringe fest.
It is truly good fun, and that’s why people like it. I don’t think people watch it for great performances or incredible writing

The show creators are absolutely aware what it is and they pull it off very well

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
The first season worked since it offered an alternative take on the original movie with mild role reversal between the two main protagonists. Second was kind of in the same wane but since then it has reverted to the same old tropes that the sequels relied on and hence were a pale shadow of the OG movie. It has also started to take itself very seriously since S3/4. It is possible to create a show about teenagers coming of age whilst sparring in Karate contests without the hamminess of OTT villains.

Sylar

Yes, I wrote a very, very simple three-and-a-half line post to say something mildly negative about a show I've seen a good chunk of. I'm sorry your reading skills made it a word salad for you, I'll try to make my posts simpler in the future if I think there's a chance you'll read them.
As long as you're still not "genuinely perplexed" why people might like something you don't like

cafecillos

As long as you're still not "genuinely perplexed" why people might like something you don't like
So, two relatively uncommon words (which are just a literal translation from my first language) are a word salad to you?

Sylar

So, two relatively uncommon words (which are just a literal translation from my first language) are a word salad to you?
Read your post again. It wasn't two words nor just three and a half lines. I don't mind you don't like it, it's the whole confusion on your end other people like things you don't

Regardless I won't add anything more with this 'topic' as it's not adding anything beneficial to anybody. I mean no disrespect towards you.

Last edited:

cafecillos

Read your post again. It wasn't two words nor just three and a half lines. I don't mind you don't like it, it's the whole confusion on your end other people like things you don't
I don't really understand your use of "word salad" here, but never mind, let's move on from that. I wasn't talking about things as in more than one, was I? I was talking about Cobra Kai, of which I've seen enough to have a clear picture of how bad it is. I'm not saying that in a snobbish way, and I made that very clear in the original post, where I wrote there's a fair amount of rubbish I've seen and enjoyed, but that doesn't make them any less rubbish.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I don't really understand your use of "word salad" here, but never mind, let's move on from that. I wasn't talking about things as in more than one, was I? I was talking about Cobra Kai, of which I've seen enough to have a clear picture of how bad it is. I'm not saying that in a snobbish way, and I made that very clear in the original post, where I wrote there's a fair amount of rubbish I've seen and enjoyed, but that doesn't make them any less rubbish.
You’re in the wrong thread if you think it’s that bad. Thanks for sharing your opinion of how bad it is though.

cafecillos

You’re in the wrong thread if you think it’s that bad. Thanks for sharing your opinion of how bad it is though.
How is this the wrong thread for someone who has seen more than 30 episodes of the show or, until 2 days ago, about 80% of it? Only positive opinions are allowed? And is that only in this thread or the whole forum?

Unam333

The best season to date.

I like that the story is much more serious than previous seasons. Partly because there's less focus on the kids and more focus on the adults. Chozen, Johnny and LaRusso have a great chemistry. Mike Barnes is such a badass. :devil:

Silver is such an amazing bad guy btw. He's a much better bad guy than Kreese.

Although I must say I like all the kids in this season, even LaRusso's son.

Andy_Cole

How is this the wrong thread for someone who has seen more than 30 episodes of the show or, until 2 days ago, about 80% of it? Only positive opinions are allowed? And is that only in this thread or the whole forum?
Why have you watched 30 episodes of something you hate?

Just finished season 5. It’s class.

cafecillos

Why have you watched 30 episodes of something you hate?

Just finished season 5. It’s class.
That's a fair question, I ask myself that too. It's generally difficult for me to stop watching any series, this one is probably just the third or fourth I've ever left unfinished after watching a good chunk of it. Also, I didn't always hate it, as I explained in my first message.

Wing Attack Plan R

There was some genuine nostalgic love for this show when it first aired, seeing the Karate Kid characters as adults was fun. I really think they should have made it a limited-run series, like they do in the UK, instead of leaving it open-ended with plots that grow increasingly more ridiculous with each season. Seeing the friendship develop, then fall apart, then rekindle between Johnny and Daniel-san was cool. It seems the show has lost its way, can't make up its mind how seriously people should be taking it. Once Miguel broke his back and the Larusso daughter got her arm slashed, it was pretty much out of the "fun nostalgia" realm. Then the next season Miguel does shit that would have permanently crippled him and I just suffered through the rest of it with my kids. Couldn't do the season after that, saw it occasionally over my shoulder while surfing the net. Good grief.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The best season to date.

I like that the story is much more serious than previous seasons. Partly because there's less focus on the kids and more focus on the adults. Chozen, Johnny and LaRusso have a great chemistry. Mike Barnes is such a badass. :devil:

Silver is such an amazing bad guy btw. He's a much better bad guy than Kreese.

Although I must say I like all the kids in this season, even LaRusso's son.
I don't watch the show but my wife does, all I've caught from it is a bit more swearing, not sure that makes it more serious from the few episodes I've seen before,
I've just seen a fecking water race, hardly think that's more serious :lol: :lol:

Doracle

You have to completely suspend belief but it remains a fun show. Silver is an excellent villain and it was definitely an improvement to see the main characters not being as dumb for the purposes of creating friction as in previous series.

Has a final series been confirmed? On one hand, it’s clear what the final show will be but, on the other, it’s more difficult to see how they can flesh out a full series, given the ending of Season 5.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Only positive please. Refreshing

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
In the nightclub LaRusso orders a Macallan 18. How much do you reckon that would cost?

More than 50 dollars?

GueRed

I still really enjoyed it.

Cheesey but great fun cheese

Cant wait for Series 6..

decorativeed

Just started season 5. Some of the worst blue-screen work of the last 20 years!

Last edited:

Castia

I just can’t get into this season

Not sure why, I’ve binged every other season in 1-2 days but I’m only on episode 3 so far.

siw2007

I pretty much binge watched this in one day last Saturday. The show itself is entirely driven on its exciting fight scenes, funny and occasionally cheesy dialogue and an excellent roster of characters. The story and the writing are not its strong point, at times it was very weak in this season. I don’t think the producers are particularly fussed about it’s weak story, it knows what it’s about, the season was still extremely entertaining because of what it did well.

Spoony

The People's President
I just can’t get into this season

Not sure why, I’ve binged every other season in 1-2 days but I’m only on episode 3 so far.
Because it's the same old, same old. I quit after 5eps. I think the fun part was watching Johnny Lawrence set up Cobra Kai and be himself. The rest of the show was always crap.

Havak

Pokemon master
Is there going to be a season 6? Everything seems pretty rapped up.
Really can't see how there isn't at least one more season.

We didn't exactly get a "happy ever after" ending from the 'good guys'. They just found out about Kreese and that was it.

They can use the whole Johnny becoming a real dad from the beginning angle. Kumiko will surely join the cast and have a funny story with Chozen. Kreese will want revenge, not just against Miyagi/Eagle but Silver too. There's still the Taikai Tournament that Miyagi Fang may go to. I also imagine they want Hilary Swank to do at least a guest appearance to get everyone involved.

Definitely enough material for another season. I wouldn't even be surprised if they stretched it to two, or a sixth season & a movie.

Frank White

Really can't see how there isn't at least one more season.

We didn't exactly get a "happy ever after" ending from the 'good guys'. They just found out about Kreese and that was it.

They can use the whole Johnny becoming a real dad from the beginning angle. Kumiko will surely join the cast and have a funny story with Chozen. Kreese will want revenge, not just against Miyagi/Eagle but Silver too. There's still the Taikai Tournament that Miyagi Fang may go to. I also imagine they want Hilary Swank to do at least a guest appearance to get everyone involved.

Definitely enough material for another season. I wouldn't even be surprised if they stretched it to two, or a sixth season & a movie.
Just read they haven't been renewed yet and the writers haven't started writing season 6 so maybe it will be the end. Agree we didn't get the happy ending but it's pretty close.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
My only quip with the show is that almost all of them are shite at Karate

Daniel and Johny moves are laughably bad it looks like 80s movie. Especially Daniel his moves are so damn awful looks like some parody

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think the show has run its course now, they have wrapped up most/all of the drama story lines, in the show's own way Silver was a terrific villain, giving Kreese another turn would be extremely weak in comparison and I don't really see how you'd write him running a dojo while on the run - they could just call the cops every time he showed up. Looks more like they set up a movie to me.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I think the show has run its course now, they have wrapped up most/all of the drama story lines, in the show's own way Silver was a terrific villain, giving Kreese another turn would be extremely weak in comparison and I don't really see how you'd write him running a dojo while on the run - they could just call the cops every time he showed up. Looks more like they set up a movie to me.
https://www.deccanherald.com/entert...y-announces-new-karate-kid-movie-1145959.html

According to entertainment news website The Hollywood Reporter, the new movie is dubbed as "the return to the original Karate Kid franchise".
You maybe right. Although, I think the escalation this time would be the global tournament. Seeing everyone going along to this big even somewhere in Europe or South America and going from there. That feels like it would be a more natural end for the series. Kreese I think they wrote into a corner. Would have made more sense to just have him released after the events of the season 5 finale, rather than the daring escape they went with. As you say, its just a case of calling the cops on him now. But stage the tournament outside the US and have him show up might be ok. I guess then they could have a real ending where they pay homage to the original movie with Kreese pushing someone else too far and Daniel and Johnny on the other side of that. One more season just to really tie it all up and then be done.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
https://www.deccanherald.com/entert...y-announces-new-karate-kid-movie-1145959.html

You maybe right. Although, I think the escalation this time would be the global tournament. Seeing everyone going along to this big even somewhere in Europe or South America and going from there. That feels like it would be a more natural end for the series. Kreese I think they wrote into a corner. Would have made more sense to just have him released after the events of the season 5 finale, rather than the daring escape they went with. As you say, its just a case of calling the cops on him now. But stage the tournament outside the US and have him show up might be ok. I guess then they could have a real ending where they pay homage to the original movie with Kreese pushing someone else too far and Daniel and Johnny on the other side of that. One more season just to really tie it all up and then be done.
Agree there can only be one more season now if they go there.

I've enjoyed the cheesefest though it's fun.