Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Again, it's how he's framing his update. I'm not denying any of what he said was factually incorrect and he's not changed his stance at all. So to essentially tell us what happened, which is just someone else's information, after they've reported is odd.

Paul Joyce is not "backing up" Romano's report, it's the other way round and there in lies my issue with him.
Hes consistent with other reporters. I dont see the issue but wel agree to disagree.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Looks as if we won't be getting him - and looks like our transfer gurus have no idea what they are doing (no real surprise there). Now hearing that because of the possible sale, we can only get loan players.

It is time the total cretins in charge were swept away and take the inept board with them

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's tier 2 here and on the reddit transfer thread which is more of a credible rating than bullshit youtube channels you're pointing to.

That's why he's Tier 2. As for the Gakpo news, he was stating the straight up situation. That is actually far more respectable than Whitwell on Athletic who gave a long article of conjecture that eluded to Gakpo being likely but really it appears we weren't as keen as the article would lead us to believe.

And we pay for the latter. If you think Romano is a hack, then pretty much every other journalist must be too. Winter/Drucker etc all write obvious shit often enough too. They came on Paddock recently and gave the most airy fairy non news I've ever heard in my life. Are they hacks too?

To me its clear - they aren't hacks but they will say the situation as it is. If it's boring its because that's just how it is.
You consider him as tier 2 while I, who is well versed with Italian culture, know that he's an A class Bullshitter. But that's irrelevant because the general consensus is that he's tier 1. I can spend ages writing and talking like Romano does, that doesn't make me a sports journalist. The problem with Romano is that he is overstretching himself by giving interviews left, right and centre. There's a limit to how much smoke you can sell.

ThinkTank@Cafe

We have Anthony, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and Garnacho for 2 positions on the wings. And only one striker who is a permacrook. Signing another winger doesn’t make sense.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looks as if we won't be getting him - and looks like our transfer gurus have no idea what they are doing (no real surprise there). Now hearing that because of the possible sale, we can only get loan players.

It is time the total cretins in charge were swept away and take the inept board with them
If there's one place where we're stacked it's on the left wing. He would've been good but our focus needs to be a striker this January.

redshaw

If ETH wasn't going to develop him as a striker and Rashford is staying then it doesn't seem worth it with Garnacho and Sancho.

RPT_Reddevil

Kind of bittersweet news. While I had my reservations about us signing Gakpo but him going directly to our rivals hurts a bit.

We signed a player in Bruno who had similar numbers at that time and there was a lot of chatter around those numbers as they were coming from an comparatively inferior league. That it will be not possible for him to get those numbers in PL and so on. But we all saw that how the arrival of Bruno turned out to be a catalyst for us that season and the importance of him in the team now., Just hope that Gakpo does not turn out to be that player for Liverpool specially when we are in direct competition for them for the top 4 spot.

pogbasformerbarber

He has some decent finishes in the WC and seems to have potential, but he’s certainly not the type of player we should be prioritizing…especially since I don’t think he’s a 9. He’ll be good for Liverpool, and it’s a good signing for them, but I don’t think he’s a truly special talent. I actually feel a bit relieved we didn’t sign him and don’t think he’ll make too much of a difference for Liverpool frankly.

This window should be about getting help to finish top 4 and then this summer we can focus on team building. Our priority in Jan should be a solid 9 that we can rely on…and midfield and CB depth.

MegadrivePerson

Kind of bittersweet news. While I had my reservations about us signing Gakpo but him going directly to our rivals hurts a bit.

We signed a player in Bruno who had similar numbers at that time and there was a lot of chatter around those numbers as they were coming from an comparatively inferior league. That it will be not possible for him to get those numbers in PL and so on. But we all saw that how the arrival of Bruno turned out to be a catalyst for us that season and the importance of him in the team now., Just hope that Gakpo does not turn out to be that player for Liverpool specially when we are in direct competition for them for the top 4 spot.
The Portugese league is much stronger than the Dutch league though.
In recent years Dias, Diaz, Fernandes, and Cancelo have successfully made the step up to the Premier league whereas I'm struggling to think of any players that have immediately stepped up to the Premier League from the Dutch league.
Martinez is the only one I can think of.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Noticed it in a couple of threads. The state some folk get in over Romano is unreal and actually quite funny. Talk about taking life too seriously.

RPT_Reddevil

In recent years Dias, Diaz, Fernandes, and Cancelo have successfully made the step up to the Premier league whereas I'm struggling to think of any players that have immediately stepped up to the Premier League from the Dutch league.
Well, they signed Saurex from Ajax who turned out to be decent. :)

Hopefully this does not turn out to be anything like that.

bosskeano

We have Anthony, Rashford, Sancho, Elanga and Garnacho for 2 positions on the wings. And only one striker who is a permacrook. Signing another winger doesn’t make sense.
anyone that brings Elanga and Garnacho into a debate about why we shouldn't sign an attacker is a bit silly....those two aren't even close to helping this season. With that said, don't think Gakpo is the right move either with having Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Martial who can play on the wing as well. Why bring in a guy for 40m that isn't better than any of those 4 guys mentioned?

cyberman

He used Rashford as a striker and liked him there until Sancho form fell off a cliff so I’d say we have two strikers

RopersReturn

Many on here seem to believe that Gakpo isn’t the kind of player we need, as we already can sufficiently fill the LW role with the squad we already have.
I can only hope that we don’t later regret not pursuing his signature when it becomes apparent that Liverpool have significantly benefited from his services. For that very reason alone I think it’s a huge mistake that Arnold isn’t doing everything possible to secure him.

phelans shorts

Many on here seem to believe that Gakpo isn’t the kind of player we need, as we already can sufficiently fill the LW role with the squad we already have.
I can only hope that we don’t later regret not pursuing his signature when it becomes apparent that Liverpool have significantly benefited from his services. For that very reason alone I think it’s a huge mistake that Arnold isn’t doing everything possible to secure him.
I agree. We should sign every player in the entire world just in case they sign for a rival and do ok. If Arnold doesn’t do this simple and obvious technique then he deserves to be tried at The Hague.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
It's not always the players, it's also the clubs. Dias, Diaz joined a perfect situation. Look at Ziyech, he was absolutely class at the WC, he just does not fit the Chelsea system. Donny van der Beek wasn't nearly as great as people on this forum thought he was when they signed him. Dutch fans all saw that one coming. There was also a time where Ajax wasn't at their best, same for PSV.

But before and after that they supplied half of the Spurs team with Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen and Sanchez who all succeeded. Wijnaldum was loved by Liverpool fans and did great at Newcastle. And what about Frenkie, De Vrij, Dumfries or De Ligt, would the opinions be different if they joined a PL team? Now you got guys like Antony, Gakpo where they can't be properly judged yet. Alvarez probably moving to Chelsea as well. Also a couple of guys like Sinisterra, Veltman and Malacia showing they can handle the move well.

Portugal has the better top 3 right now, wouldn't say it's the "much" better league. Think all those teams can go toe to toe and we beat them in the coefficients ladder for a reason.

Lee565

It's damming that Liverpool already have a stronger starting front 3 along with strong depth in attack than us and yet they still insist on strengthening whilst united insist on making do with an injury prone martial who has form of blowing hot and cold as our main striker unless they can get dig out something in the bargain bin again for a short term ageing striker well past their peak

croadyman

I agree and not sure why, surely striker has to be No1 target. I’m even surprised Liverpool went for him given their desperate for midfield additions.
Think some people feel Erik wanted to convert him into one but leeches pulled down funds

devilish

It's damming that Liverpool already have a stronger starting front 3 along with strong depth in attack than us and yet they still insist on strengthening whilst united insist on making do with an injury prone martial who has form of blowing hot and cold as our main striker unless they can get dig out something in the bargain bin again for a short term ageing striker well past their peak
Tbf half of our forward line had been blown out by stuff out of our control (Greenwood, sancho and Ronaldo). We have been really unlucky on the professionalism front

bosskeano

agreed however Diaz is going to be out for a while which is why they are going to sign Gakpo, Firmino could be out of the door in january and Salah isn't getting any younger. The issue is though for Liverpool, IMO, they are putting money in the wrong place. It's not the forward line that is the issue, it's their ageing midfield.

Liverpool were forced into the market b/c of the Diaz injury and nicking the player from United only makes it that much better for them.

TsuWave

I think this might be embarrassing for yourself.

Watch the video, everything he says about United and Gakpo is what he said for weeks.

He always said the personal terms weren't a problem and it was agreed in the summer, but United need to pay the money if they want the player. Ornstein said this too by the way.

In the video he says United had no issues with personal terms but we're still not putting their money forward. Liverpool did and the deal was done within hours (this is backed up by the likes of Paul Joyce and other Liverpool ITKs).

There is absolutely no revisionism in his video and the facts are there if you want to dig up his previous interviews on Goldbridge channel, before the Liverpool transfer came into it.

At no point did Romano say United were making a bid for Gakpo.
Some people on this forum think Romano is the one closing our deals, instead of a reporter who reports on constantly changing information. Guy said Gakpo is still interested in a potential move to United. Liverpool move in and agree a deal - they rush to this thread calling Romano a false prophet, as if he promised Gakpo at Carrington or something. Crazy

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You consider him as tier 2 while I, who is well versed with Italian culture, know that he's an A class Bullshitter. But that's irrelevant because the general consensus is that he's tier 1. I can spend ages writing and talking like Romano does, that doesn't make me a sports journalist. The problem with Romano is that he is overstretching himself by giving interviews left, right and centre. There's a limit to how much smoke you can sell.
The general consensus is not that he's tier one. He's caveated as tier two here and on reddit. You're definitely well rehearsed in class A bullshit, at least you're right about that much.
Some people on this forum think Romano is the one closing our deals, instead of a reporter who reports on constantly changing information. Guy said Gakpo is still interested in a potential move to United. Liverpool move in and agree a deal - they rush to this thread calling Romano a false prophet, as if he promised Gakpo at Carrington or something. Crazy
Exactly. They all start complaining at him especially when something happens that isn't liked. Romano has been stone cold clear about the situation. If it's not anything material, it's because United never made a material move. I don't know why fans blame Romano for that.

devilish

The general consensus is not that he's tier one. He's caveated as tier two here and on reddit. You're definitely well rehearsed in class A bullshit, at least you're right about that much.

Exactly. They all start complaining at him especially when something happens that isn't liked. Romano has been stone cold clear about the situation. If it's not anything material, it's because United never made a material move. I don't know why fans blame Romano for that.
As said l check the multiple united YouTube channels and the vibe within redcafe. I refrain jabbing at you as a poster since I am not 10 years old

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As said l check the multiple united YouTube channels and the vibe within redcafe. I refrain jabbing at you as a poster since I am not 10 years old
Ive referred to them. I told you what his reddit and redcafe tier is, which is used more by the 3 channels you gave.

This is an example of you calling BS by talking about BS.

dinostar77

Wonder if this is a panic buy from liverpool amd a reflection that nuuez is more of a work in progress than first thought.

devilish

Ive referred to them. I told you what his reddit and redcafe tier is, which is used more by the 3 channels you gave.

This is an example of you calling BS by talking about BS.
You're quoting a post of 12 years ago. Things had changed a bit since then. Cameron was Britain new Prime minister, Bin Laden was still alive, Obama was US prime minister etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/wiki/transfer-reliability-guide/

The United stand has 1.5m subscribers, Stretford Paddock's YouTube Channel has 668,000 subscribers, United people's TV has 320K and Stephen Howson has around 200k. Since they are all Manchester United channels then I presume that they are filled with United fans.

MegadrivePerson

They can't get away with saying that when he's joined a club that is also up for sale!

I've mentioned this before but it bothers them that much, just add the price of the fee on to the purchase price.

Makes me think that they aren't committed to selling the club.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You're quoting a post of 12 years ago. Things had changed a bit since then. Cameron was Britain new Prime minister, Bin Laden was still alive, Obama was US prime minister etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/wiki/transfer-reliability-guide/

The United stand has 1.5m subscribers, Stretford Paddock's YouTube Channel has 668,000 subscribers, United people's TV has 320K and Stephen Howson has around 200k. Since they are all Manchester United channels then I presume that they are filled with United fans.
OK, so let's say hes classed as tier one. You have a fantastic point, hes just a hack even though he is classed as widely credible across the board, and in this case he constantly said United have categorically not bid for Gakpo.

What is more hilarious is that you berated him for being second to Nurse, when he never was. Nurse just said Gakpo, maybe not. Romano always said United haven't even made a bid.

You've basically slammed Romano for things you think he said but never did. It's quite laughable.

LordSpud

They can't get away with saying that when he's joined a club that is also up for sale!

I've mentioned this before but it bothers them that much, just add the price of the fee on to the purchase price.

Makes me think that they aren't committed to selling the club.
They would definitely prefer to stay on and get a few bill investment instead.

devilish

OK, so let's say hes classed as tier one. You have a fantastic point, hes just a hack even though he is classed as widely credible across the board, and in this case he constantly said United have categorically not bid for Gakpo.

What is more hilarious is that you berated him for being second to Nurse, when he never was. Nurse just said Gakpo, maybe not. Romano always said United haven't even made a bid.

You've basically slammed Romano for things you think he said but never did. It's quite laughable.
So you do agree that building an argument based on a thread from 2010 is a bit, lets say, silly?

I am slamming Romano because I KNOW that transfers are highly unpredictable. I've SEEN SAF blunder on them twice and we're talking about the one who called most of the shots at United at a time when transfers were way simpler and local then they are today. Thus its silly to think that some 29 year old kid from Naples would have close tabs on teams across the 4 corners of the world (EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, Dutch football, Portuguese football etc) and its even sillier for that 29 year old to still find time to go on various media to spill the beans about what's truly happening behind the scenes. Reputable journalists would usually focus on one league (some even 1-2 clubs), they would maintain the distance to avoid attracting too much attention and they would focus on double-triple check their source rather then saying the same clique answer over and over again.

Let me do a Romano on you. Felix might be interested to join United either in January or next summer but only if the two clubs agree on a financial solution that suit both. Till then the player will be respectful towards Atletico and will try and give his 100% to them. You see what I am doing there? You can change the name to around 90% of players names and it would still work.

I don't think I am brighter then you. I simply know the Italian culture (including the language), I've travelled in Italy more then I can count and they are basically our cousins. Thus I am confident that I can spot an Italian Bullshitter far better then you do. I am sure you can do the same with lets say someone closer to your home. When I moved to the UK I lost count of how many hours of 'meetings' I naively had which lead to nowhere simply because the people in question wanted to weasel out of a project they didn't want to do.

Last edited:

Orange Tree

I'd love to have him as a striker here, but it's still questionable how good he is playing as a striker. For the left forward position, we are stacked. We have Rashford, Sancho, and Garnacho for that position.

Let's focus finding a striker and hopefully another midfielder so we don't have to see McFred on the field ever again.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Wonder if this is a panic buy from liverpool amd a reflection that nuuez is more of a work in progress than first thought.
Nah it’s business as usual. If we need someone, we get him. No fuss, no riddles, no efn about. I believe this is due to injuries and not Nunez, just good business.

RopersReturn

Wasn’t the young Napoli striker- Kvaratskhelia, a target? Just had another look at his stats, 6 goals in 12 appearances. Surely Arnold and co should be working to get him over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.