Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmichael

If Gakpo is coming in to play as a centre forward then that’s cool as that’s where we have a massive need BUT we’ve got Rashford, Garnacho and if needed Sancho all wanting to play off the left and the first two doing very well there this season.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Gakpo is an excellent striker of a football. I’d argue you need to watch more of him.
I don't watch him enough so I can be wrong. I still believe the comparison of RVP or Henry is way over the top. If he starts for the national team and plays well, his market value will go even higher.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't watch him enough so I can be wrong. I still believe the comparison of RVP or Henry is way over the top. If he starts for the national team and plays well, his market value will go even higher.
It’s more the style of player he is. Nobody is claiming he’s as good as those two at their best but at the same age RVP had only just been in and around the Arsenal squad and was hardly pulling up trees.

He was also only just starting to be a regular for the Netherlands at that age too so Gakpo as things stand I would argue has shown more at his current age than even RVP did. That’s not to say he will become the better player.

Chief123

With Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho vying for that left hand side, do we still go for this guy? He’s clearly not a established striker yet if that’s what our plans are which makes it a high risk signing if that’s the case.

I’d argue we’d be better off looking for someone who can play on the right and up front because right now it seems like Antony is the only one who can offer any kind of credible performance on the right wing.

redshaw

Will be interesting to see who we go for. Having seen his shooting technique and goals I do think ETH has been thinking about him playing centrally. Do we go for Felix Gakpo style or something else. ETH recently said he likes Martial type but as well it's can we get someone in Jan or go big in the summer? We need someone in Jan, I feel we'd be 6 points better off if we had someone half decent when Martial has been out.

Chief123

I think Garnacho might have killed this one regardless of how good Gakpo is.
That’s what I’m feeling. If we get Gakpo, I just don’t see how Garnacho gets minutes.

If we are buying Gakpo to play striker that’s an even bigger worry considering he never plays there!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Watched their game versus Arsenal recently where he was excellent and unlucky to score two offside goals which were correctly ruled out but the margin were tight.

Doesn't look like a number 9 though. He plays off the wing like Rashford does. With Garnacho now breaking through we need a natural number 9 not another winger come striker. We have enough of those already.

Wrecking ralf

Is there a chance Gakpo could start upfront for Holland in the World Cup? Haven’t they played 2 up top a few times with one being Bergwijn. Gakpo would surely be a better option than him or Depay.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Is there a chance Gakpo could start upfront for Holland in the World Cup? Haven’t they played 2 up top a few times with one being Bergwijn. Gakpo would surely be a better option than him or Depay.
Yes it’s very possible he plays as a deep forward.

croadyman

Watched their game versus Arsenal recently where he was excellent and unlucky to score two offside goals which were correctly ruled out but the margin were tight.

Doesn't look like a number 9 though. He plays off the wing like Rashford does. With Garnacho now breaking through we need a natural number 9 not another winger come striker. We have enough of those already.
The problem is there aren't going to be any natural number 9 options in January so what do we do until the summer

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The problem is there aren't going to be any natural number 9 options in January so what do we do until the summer
We don't just sign somebody we don't need for the sake of it.

There are strikers out there. Maybe we need to go and find a gem somewhere but they have to be a proper number 9 for me. We need something different to Rashy n Martial.

croadyman

We don't just sign somebody we don't need for the sake of it.

There are strikers out there. Maybe we need to go and find a gem somewhere but they have to be a proper number 9 for me. We need something different to Rashy n Martial.
Problem with trying to find a gem is Utd might feel they should wait in case a Vlahovic/Osimhen/Toney maybe even unlikely as it is Kane become available

Telsim

Everytime I see this thread bumped I come in full of hope that it's a link to us and leave disappointed. :(

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Ten Hag has been pushing United to sign PSV Eindhoven star Cody Gakpo for a number of months, and United have received a boost in their pursuit of the Dutchman as 90min understands the Eredivisie side are prepared to let the player leave in January.

Ronaldo out Gakpo in would be a good Jan window.

Get Mitrovic as a stopgap till summer and we'd be in good shape.

Kaos

Ten Hag has been pushing United to sign PSV Eindhoven star Cody Gakpo for a number of months, and United have received a boost in their pursuit of the Dutchman as 90min understands the Eredivisie side are prepared to let the player leave in January.

Ronaldo out Gakpo in would be a good Jan window.

Get Mitrovic as a stopgap till summer and we'd be in good shape.
Mitrovic would be a very expensive 'stopgap'.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whoscored:

+ Strengths (Very strong)
Crossing
Key passes
Finishing
Taking set-pieces
Dribbling

It will be wasted to play him as striker when his strength is crossing, key passes, and dribbling.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Whoscored:

+ Strengths (Very strong)
Crossing
Key passes
Finishing
Taking set-pieces
Dribbling

It will be wasted to play him as striker when his strength is crossing, key passes, and dribbling.
Also a current preference for playing off the left. I do think he’s got the makings of a really good all round PL centre forward who can also play the killer ball. I’m inclined to totally trust ETH. His signings have been really shrewd apart from getting ripped on Antony who probably has close to world class potential. They are all playing with the required intensity befitting of this club. It’s all good. I just hope we get him if the manager really wants him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Also a current preference for playing off the left. I do think he’s got the makings of a really good all round PL centre forward who can also play the killer ball. I’m inclined to totally trust ETH. His signings have been really shrewd apart from getting ripped on Antony who probably has close to world class potential. They are all playing with the required intensity befitting of this club. It’s all good. I just hope we get him if the manager really wants him.
I trust in ETH's decision but I have a strong feeling if he wants Gakpo not because he wants him as striker but as LW, while moving Rashford and Martial as his striker options.

croadyman

I trust in ETH's decision but I have a strong feeling if he wants Gakpo not because he wants him as striker but as LW, while moving Rashford and Martial as his striker options.
Could live with that provided we get a top striker in the summer because options are limited until then

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

13 goals and 17 assists in 24 games. Those are beautiful numbers. And look like he has the physicality also. If he's available for cheap(-ish), we should go for him. Especially if ETH wants him.

Or are we (again) afraid this would hurt some players feeling?

Status
Not open for further replies.