Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

dal

He’s not great. We could buy a player like him if we sold sancho but now ronaldo is gone priority number one is a striker. I actually think we could challenge with a striker.

A midfielder and Central defender however would improve us considerably also.

Chief123

Normally the stats he’s putting out would be very enticing but it was a big eye opener when Sancho was putting up similar numbers in Bundesliga and then showed how he’s struggled to adapt in premier league. Gakpo is putting up similar numbers but with even less performances than Sancho to the eye test which is a concern.

However if ETH can mould him into someone who just stays central and gets on the end of chances, he does look like someone who can take a chance when it falls to him. What I do like is his right foot, left foot bang. Instinctive shooting with either side.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Loving reading the dutch boys arguing over the best city :lol::lol:
Mostly cute, because I mean come on, The King lives in The Hague, the government is here, we have the international court where they send bond villains to be judged. It's obviously The Hague,

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
What are the other realistic options for us there?

I mean I have not seen him much apart from the goals but I bet if Ten Haag wants to implement him as a CF, or perhaps rotate him there with Martial and Rashford when Martial is injured while giving him time to settle from the LW as well, it might be still much better then league one level player Ronaldo leading the line and we would be investing in the future.

Better than Felix too who's just playing as a SS, rather than a focal point of attack. Depay phuuu, not another washed out United player who didn't previously make it..

Chief123

What are the other realistic options for us there?

I mean I have not seen him much apart from the goals but I bet if Ten Haag wants to implement him as a CF, or perhaps rotate him there with Martial and Rashford when Martial is injured while giving him time to settle from the LW as well, it might be still much better then league one level player Ronaldo leading the line and we would be investing in the future.

Better than Felix too who's just playing as a SS, rather than a focal point of attack. Depay phuuu, not another washed out United player who didn't previously make it..
I believe what is heavily linking us to him is he is the best there is available at that price if that is what is being quoted. Other options are available but we’d be looking closer to 80-100m.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I believe what is heavily linking us to him is he is the best there is available at that price if that is what is being quoted. Other options are available but we’d be looking closer to 80-100m.
Yeah hence, I said realistic. Never in million years we are spending another 80 million in a transfer window, after what happened in the summer. With Ronaldo off there might be 15m in wages on top of a small budget if there is a value in the market.

What may seem still like a gamble now and not a guaranteed value acquiring Gakpo should change with the fact that we really need someone and without someone and injuries and form of players falling from cliff in mind, it might be difficult to close the gap for 4th which itself is a big financial boost.

That should be an argument when asking for the money.

Chief123

Yeah hence, I said realistic. Never in million years we are spending another 80 million in a transfer window, after what happened in the summer. With Ronaldo off there might be 15m in wages on top of a small budget if there is a value in the market.

What may seem still like a gamble now and not a guaranteed value acquiring Gakpo should change with the fact that we really need someone and without someone and injuries and form of players falling from cliff in mind, it might be difficult to close the gap for 4th which itself is a big financial boost.

That should be an argument when asking for the money.
Utd probably see Gakpo as a low risk signing with the potential to be a gem. If the price is 40-50m that’s the baseline for a low risk signing nowadays in the DVB bracket. Any lower than that and you really are just looking at very young players with raw potential or squad options.

The truth is we 100% need someone in January with Ronaldo gone. It would be suicide to go with just what we have.

I have a feeling Memphis is being lined up as a back up if we fail to get Gakpo at a price we want.

captaincantona

My problem with Gakpo is that he is clearly not the finished article and we/ETH are under huge pressure to deliver. We have not been and are not a place to develop talent and help players achieve their potential. The pressure and structure at the club has seen many young players struggle when joining and very few players actually getting better when they join us.

for €50 million we should be getting at least someone who is an established and confident professional that can come in and perform as needed. Cavani, injuries aside, had no issue adapting…Ibra, Ighalo even. We need someone in that mould right now…we can’t afford to blow half of next summers budget on a young moments player. Who ends up being another body on the bench…(VDB, Sancho, Amad, Pellistri, Fred for a long time - in years gone by Kagawa, Miki, Memphis round 1)

At this point, Memphis for free makes more sense if we can line up a proper CF signing for the summer. He has matured and will come in with much less pressure. He could do a job for the second half of the season and allow us to really scout and pursue a top striker for the summer.

RopersReturn

As quoted, £60-80m doesn’t seem an unlikely price to pay and we’d probably have the funds to cover this purchase, since the share value increase after last weeks news.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If 43m gets him, I think a few including us will be in for him. He’ll have his pick of clubs if he carries on this form.

captaincantona

If 43m gets him, I think a few including us will be in for him. He’ll have his pick of clubs if he carries on this form.
I know you are saying “this form” but for anyone who actually watched the two World Cup games…do we not all agree he was largely anonymous and dare I say uninvolved bar the goals?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I know you are saying “this form” but for anyone who actually watched the two World Cup games…do we not all agree he was largely anonymous and dare I say uninvolved bar the goals?
He might well have been, I didn’t watch the games. Can’t be any more anonymous than we’ve been used to so far this season though surely.

Cathy Ferguson

If ETH wanted to get rid of Ronaldo and buy Gakpo in the summer the writing is on the wall. Gakpo is too similar to Rashford for my liking but we do need another striker. Relying on Martial when we play twice a week for 6 months is suicidal.

Zoo

Erik ten Hag wants to get Cody Gakpo to Manchester very quickly

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've seen enough of him this world cup to want him. Will we spend with the club being up for sale though?

Paul778

Can we buy a forward that's not just more of the same compared with the forwards we already have?

Someone a little bit more physical, able to hold the ball up, intimidate defenders, and impose themselves. Someone with ability in the air for all those hopeless balls we fling in there.

I'm not saying a Duncan Ferguson type player. Just someone who has that as one of their many attributes

i dont think this guy is that

Last edited:

cyberman

Erik ten Hag wants to get Cody Gakpo to Manchester very quickly
I completely trust Ten Hag. If he can mould such a productive player to what he needs than we’ll have a hell of a player on our hands

TsuWave

I don't think judging players off of this world cup is the most prudent thing.

They hardly play in these conditions, setting, and with these team-mates. International football comes off as quite laborious. Under LvG even more so.

I think he might be a lot better than what we're seeing

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If ETH wanted to get rid of Ronaldo and buy Gakpo in the summer the writing is on the wall. Gakpo is too similar to Rashford for my liking but we do need another striker. Relying on Martial when we play twice a week for 6 months is suicidal.
The difference is that Rashford forgets how to play football when he’s not playing on the left.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Don't do it. He's not a striker and we want Garnacho to have priority on the left. I understand the enthusiasm and 50mil doesn't seem a lot to some, but it is when we got his natural position covered and could use that money to get a true striker.

At this point, Memphis for free makes more sense if we can line up a proper CF signing for the summer. He has matured and will come in with much less pressure. He could do a job for the second half of the season and allow us to really scout and pursue a top striker for the summer.
Agree with this. We did good this summer in strengthening the team where it mattered, but this signing would be the complete opposite of that, unless the club is ready to sell Sancho already, which seems highly unlikely to me. Get Memphis as a mercenary.

Irrational.

The sad fact is that we could’ve secured him for half price this summer. As usual we are paying double after he’s shown what he can do at the WC.

I see him as a Mané style player.

Cyanide

He’s not great. We could buy a player like him if we sold sancho but now ronaldo is gone priority number one is a striker. I actually think we could challenge with a striker.

A midfielder and Central defender however would improve us considerably also.
I have to agree here

Biggins

If we are going for him than we are surely moving someone on as otherwise this transfer does not make much sense.

CF market is non-existent right now but it may be better to sign Memphis as a stopgap until summer and then reevaluate.

Gakpo’s price will be at all time high if he continues to score during WC so really there is no rush in wrapping this transfer up in the winter.

Reactions: Cheimoon

caleb2003

If we are going for him than we are surely moving someone on as otherwise this transfer does not make much sense.

CF market is non-existent right now but it may be better to sign Memphis as a stopgap until summer and then reevaluate.

Gakpo’s price will be at all time high if he continues to score during WC so really there is no rush in wrapping this transfer up in the winter.
Memphis presses less than Ronaldo, terrible option. Gakpo would be a good buy, not quite the striker but where are they anyway

MadMike

The truth is we 100% need someone in January with Ronaldo gone. It would be suicide to go with just what we have.
I’m not really buying this argument at all tbh.

United with Ronaldo gone is a better team and we have 2 players for each position upfront, which is the most you can have and keep happy when everyone is fit. Which team has more options upfront then us?

We can always call up on another youngster like Shoretire or Hugill, if push comes to shove, or play with a false 9. City won the title playing with KDB or Gundogan as false 9s, for god’s sake. We don’t need more quantity, but we could improve on the quality. Although that is a thing for the summer. It’s not “suicidal” to continue like this till then.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna

We need a goalscorer before the summer. Gakpo seems to be a genuine target for Eth, and if the reported fee of only £43m is accurate, i don't see the benefit of waiting until the summer when we badly need him now.

I haven't seen any reports that convince me we will actually go for a genuine, proven CF, such as Osihmen, Sesko etc in the summer anyway.

Don't really see the value of Depay now and Gakpo in the summer. I might be wrong, but I see Gakpo as our most attainable target right now and then possibly a CF in the summer, when Eth will have a better idea of who he wants to keep or move on.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If the club wants a striker I think they'd be better suited to wait till the summer and splash the cash on Osimhen.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This guy isn’t the answer. We need a more prolific striker someone who can hold the ball up and involve players around him. Gakpo isn’t that guy.

Biggins

We need a goalscorer before the summer. Gakpo seems to be a genuine target for Eth, and if the reported fee of only £43m is accurate, i don't see the benefit of waiting until the summer when we badly need him now.

I haven't seen any reports that convince me we will actually go for a genuine, proven CF, such as Osihmen, Sesko etc in the summer anyway.

Don't really see the value of Depay now and Gakpo in the summer. I might be wrong, but I see Gakpo as our most attainable target right now and then possibly a CF in the summer, when Eth will have a better idea of who he wants to keep or move on.
Then who are we moving on? Rashford, Sancho or Garnacho? Gakpo is LW, not CF. ETH may try converting him into CF. However, if that fails then we are stuck with 4 LWs?

Chief123

I’m not really buying this argument at all tbh.

United with Ronaldo gone is a better team and we have 2 players for each position upfront, which is the most you can have and keep happy when everyone is fit. Which team has more options upfront then us?

We can always call up on another youngster like Shoretire or Hugill, if push comes to shove, or play with a false 9. City won the title playing with KDB or Gundogan as false 9s, for god’s sake. We don’t need more quantity, but we could improve on the quality. Although that is a thing for the summer. It’s not “suicidal” to continue like this till then.
If we go by the first half of the season, we would literally only have Rashford as a viable option to play striker. That’s suicidal. Martial has shown no assurances he can remain fit for more than a couple of games. Gambling on just the possibility of Rashford virtually every game would be crazy. Ronaldo played a lot more than ETH would have wished for or wanted but had to out of necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.