Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

He is two footed, has good header, physically strong and can dribble. Only one thing I am not sure of his hold up play simply because he is not involved in any. But otherwise I think he can be our CF. In fact a quite versatile forward who can play on left, right, centre, behind the forward.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Also highlighting that hold up play isn't Gakpo's strength.

goalscholes

If Ten Hag is transmitting all his esteem through the player's environment, he's as good as ours.

goalscholes

To be honest, I haven't seen a lot of him.

But Ten Hag managed to get 34 goals out of Seb Haller. That's equivalent to 200 goals a season for Gakpo, easily.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Finding perfect ball holder in January won't be easy, especially after missing out on Sesko earlier.

Goalscorer like Cody could be most realistic option, unless EtH will invent someone else during WC.

DarkXaero

I don't see why Gakpo can't develop into a striker. He has the body frame, the technical ability, and the movement.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm coming around to this signing, even if he's not a long term striker option he's another attacker and during a season when our two best attackers have been Rashford and Garnacho it tells you about the strength in depth we have

MadMike

I don't see why Gakpo can't develop into a striker. He has the body frame, the technical ability, and the movement.
He doesn’t have a developed hold-up play and back-to-goal play. Both quite important for a striker as you spend most of your time with your back to goal as a #9 and you have one centre back up your arse and another nearby ready to cover the first one’s mistakes. You have far less space and time on the ball than on the wings. In addition, He is also not a particularly explosive guy. Oh and according to Van Gaal he prefers to play on the wing himself.

It begs the question therefore, if we’re buying, why buy a winger (who prefers to be a winger) to try and develop him as a striker and not just buy a striker? Given the added risk that this development might take a long time, or worse, result in a lesser player than the one playing on the wings.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anthony-------Rashford-------Gakpo

Sancho-------Martial-------Garnacho

Not bad options for the second half of the season until we can get a proper striker in the summer

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, I'd definitely take Watkins in Jan ( I know it's not happening). He is pacy, runs in behind, good hold up play.
Not sure who you support, but you can't bring Watkins in for Manchester United. That's just daft.

DarkXaero

He doesn’t have a developed hold-up play and back-to-goal play. Both quite important for a striker as you spend most of your time with your back to goal as a #9 and you have one centre back up your arse and another nearby ready to cover the first one’s mistakes. You have far less space and time on the ball than on the wings. In addition, He is also not a particularly explosive guy. Oh and according to Van Gaal he prefers to play on the wing himself.

It begs the question therefore, if we’re buying, why buy a winger (who prefers to be a winger) to try and develop him as a striker and not just buy a striker? Given the added risk that this development might take a long time, or worse, result in a lesser player than the one playing on the wings.
I didn't say he has a developed hold up play or back to goal play. But I don't see why he can't develop those aspects of his game, we have Martial who did it here. I don't think you need explosive pace either for the position, and I don't think that pace is a problem anyway for Gakpo, based on what I've seen. I also trust ETH's judgment here and if he feels that Gapko has the potential or qualities to play there, I will believe that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
  • Martial
  • Rashford
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Pellistri
  • Diallo
  • Garnacho
  • Elanga
Is Gakpo really necessary for United?

We need an rvn

• Martial
  • Rashford
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Pellistri
  • Diallo
  • Garnacho
  • Elanga
Martial has been injured for years and had his chance time and time again. I don’t get where the latest hype comes from given his loan moves either - other than a decent pre-season he hasn’t done anything again

Diablo / pellistri / elanga - I’d take gapko over them any day

that leaves us with rashford, sancho, Antony and an 18 year old Garnacho.

personally, I think we need him and an out an out striker

Klean

• Martial
  • Rashford
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Pellistri
  • Diallo
  • Garnacho
  • Elanga
Yes.

Martial & Rashford are CF. Sancho is LW. Antony is RW.

Pellistri, Diallo, Garnacho, Elanga all cannot be counted on reliably to provide cover over the 2nd half of the season. Possibly Garnacho might be the only one that might make it out of the 4 of them at the highest level and even then we only have 3-4 games to go off of. Young players will be incredibly inconsistent, and for a team that is pushing hard for a top 4 spot; can we really risk putting youth in that position with their inconstancy?

Erik the Red

• Martial
  • Rashford
  • Sancho
  • Antony
  • Pellistri
  • Diallo
  • Garnacho
  • Elanga
Martial - injured 50%
Rashford
Sancho - badly off form
Antony
Pellistri - questionably good enough
Diallo - not good enough
Garnacho - very inexperienced and should be eased into the first team
Elanga - not good enough

That gives you 2 first teamers in Rashford (LW) and Antony (RW) plus 4 maybes in Martial (ST), Garnacho (LW), Pellistri (RW) and Sancho (LW/RW). As has been mentioned many times, you want one or maybe two strikers on the bench who the manager can tactically bring on to change a game. At the moment we have no out and out strikers in reserve, so we are bringing on a winger and shifting Rashford to striker (or starting like that when Martial is injured). 70 minutes into a game, you want to have someone from the bench who can stretch the defence, not a tired out player moving in from the wing.

Whether Gakpo is the right player is a different question. He is not an out and out striker, but is a quality player. I think the rationale is we are better off bringing in a player who will have a long term role to play rather than another stop gap. Let's say we are after a Sesko or Osimhen for the Summer, do we spend lots on a January transfer for Depay or Dembele, who the manager may not be convinced by, or punt on Gakpo, who could turn into a number 9 ala Thierry Henry, or at worst, would be a great second striker to play off Sesko / Osimhen, or to bring on from the bench. Either way, it's not a bad position to be in, so if we can agree a reasonable price, I expect to see Gakpo in January, and a Sesko (my preference as I think he has a higher ceiling) / Osimhen type in the Summer.

Telsim

Martial has been injured for years and had his chance time and time again. I don’t get where the latest hype comes from given his loan moves either - other than a decent pre-season he hasn’t done anything again

Diablo / pellistri / elanga - I’d take gapko over them any day

that leaves us with rashford, sancho, Antony and an 18 year old Garnacho.

personally, I think we need him and an out an out striker
Who summoned him this time?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Finding perfect ball holder in January won't be easy, especially after missing out on Sesko earlier.

Goalscorer like Cody could be most realistic option, unless EtH will invent someone else during WC.
If we are getting a stop gap in January then we should get a stop gap. Not splash out big money on a player who isn't a 9 and doesn't hold up the ball well but happened to be available.

croadyman

Anthony-------Rashford-------Gakpo

Sancho-------Martial-------Garnacho

Not bad options for the second half of the season until we can get a proper striker in the summer
Will we still go for a proper striker is the question

croadyman

If we are getting a stop gap in January then we should get a stop gap. Not splash out big money on a player who isn't a 9 and doesn't hold up the ball well but happened to be available.
Yeah looks like we aren't even considering that

moodyred

Anyone claiming Martial is injured 50% of the time is giving him too much credit :lol:.

The Martinez and Casemiro signings have given me confidence that the gaffer knows what he is doing. Hence if he wants Gakpo. The Board should give him Gakpo. After this wc, his price is going to rise further.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I am not interested in a stop gap signing at all. It’s not the right thing for the club to be doing. If we think Gapko has a long term role to play, then we should sign him. But if it’s to fill a short term void, we’d be better off keeping the 40-50m towards a proper long term singing in the summer.

Red00012

We need an out and out striker not a LW who can possibly play up top when needed . (Martial and Rashford )

backpass

Name 3 players which quadrupled their worth during a world cup and weren´t already superstars and then lived up to the hype.
Could be a nice thread on its own, just to see which players were hyped and bought because good wc performances and really matched the hype later on.

I don´t recall many, maybe James Rodriguez, but was he a success? I dont think so.

#novalueinwcheroes

Rauður Djöfull

Name 3 players which quadrupled their worth during a world cup and weren´t already superstars and then lived up to the hype.
Could be a nice thread on its own, just to see which players were hyped and bought because good wc performances and really matched the hype later on.

I don´t recall many, maybe James Rodriguez, but was he a success? I dont think so.

#novalueinwcheroes
Yeah some names come to mind

But Gakpo has been delivering before WC this and last season steadily improving
Don't know if that was the case with Arshavin for example

PieCrust

Whether he plays as a 9 or not, Marital and Rashford aren't up to being regular starters, so more competition is needed. If he's available for around £70M, sign him up in January. And it doesn't matter if ETH see's Gakpo as a 9, will still need a quality center forward signing this summer. Quality depth is still sorely lacking as ETH works his rebuild.

red_de_pologne

Whether he plays as a 9 or not, Marital and Rashford aren't up to being regular starters, so more competition is needed. If he's available for around £70M, sign him up in January. And it doesn't matter if ETH see's Gakpo as a 9, will still need a quality center forward signing this summer. Quality depth is still sorely lacking as ETH works his rebuild.
:eek: last I've heard was €50M ?

croadyman

My concern would be is it Gakpo or CF,in which case maybe we are better to wait

captaincantona

#novalueinwcheroes
Salas for chile got a move to Lazio and became a huge success… Hagi for Romania moved to Barca and Real and the the rest is history…Di Maria before going to Madrid although I’m not sure how well thought of he was prior to that World Cup.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We have to realise once again, our opponents could go again on that particular January market and sign first squad quality for their teams, this is why the whole idea (stop gap) while it's realistic, in the same time just doesn't sits with me well. Think it's getting depressing at some point. :lol:

Stop gap after stop gap since the Zlatan days. Feels like a tired record, not to mention it sends the message of growing lack of ambition... then again, you can be right and we're going for stop gap rightfully, with huge hopes this won't stretch for another year like in Ronaldo case because that was pure football suicide for the club.

In Gakpo's case, I still think Rashford will need help to grow number of goals scored no matter what, especially while Sancho will have to rediscover himself as Premier League player and Martial being in endless disruption state, entangled with injuries here and there.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Could we send van der beek to PSV and have Gakpo? might sweeten the deal and make the whole thing slightly more affordable.
Unrealistic. Xavi Simons is a better player and their backup Guus Til is another Klaassen clone.

Donny will ride his fat contract out like all the others.

pogbasformerbarber

If it's 100% that he's playing CF...great. Im all in. If this is some sort of guess that he will or...even worse...just a move to get another winger, Im really perplexed. Winger/AM is really the one area we have some quality, form, depth, and youth excitement. Complete waste of resources...

Status
Not open for further replies.