Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondog

Gakpo has the game to play CF. So this has to be for him to play there. I agree it would be foolish to sign him with plans for the wing.

That said I do think flexibility matters to EtH. He undoubtedly wants to have a team he can tinker with different strategies per opponent and all of the pieces must be able to run and put in a full effort when they're on the pitch. Gakpo fits in those respects.

Also I like Gakpo a lot more after watching this world cup. Wish he possessed better but striker is hard to fill nowadays, the need is greater than the market.

Bojan Djordjic

I'm against it personally. Can see the merit in it last summer when he had a 30mn valuation but now that some people are quoting 70mn its just way too high for someone with so much downside risk. Would far sooner sign Thuram on the cheap and put the Gakpo fee into someone like Enzo Fernandes who can cover our two deeper midfield positions and act as a succession plan to our good but aging midfielders (Eriksen and Casemiro).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
But given that our wingers don't do good quality crosses and are not passing master then I guess signing type of striker who is like fox in the box is not going to help the team since the striker wouldn't be able to get any services in the first place. May be Gakpo is the answer in ETH's mind to get the best out of Rashford and Antony.

arnie_ni

First time watching him today. Be good to see what all the fuss is about. Badly need someone in January.

edcunited1878

Where have you been the last 2 weeks? Living under a rock?
The owners are looking at investment opportunities, which include what a potential sale looks like and what it could generate.

They are not actively pitching or listening to potential buyers which is what Liverpool are doing.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The owners are looking at investment opportunities, which include what a potential sale looks like and what it could generate.

They are not actively pitching or listening to potential buyers which is what Liverpool are doing.
You know this for sure yes?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

You've absolutely no idea what they are doing as they wouldn't say if they were.

We will be sold before the end of the season. Just be patient.

CM10

I don't see the point in making this signing. Decent player but that left wing is probably the one position in the squad you can categorically say we're well stocked in.

If we want to sign a striker, sign a striker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

They wouldn't include the words 'for sale' if it wasn't. Learn negotiation tactics.

edcunited1878

They wouldn't include the words 'for sale' if it wasn't. Learn negotiation tactics.
Being up for sale and owners losing majority control is an option, but that option is not end all be all right now.

This is going to take months into Q2 next year at least to understand what the legit external investment options are available to the owners.

When you hire investment companies like the owners have, anything and everything is on the table including a sale but that isn't end all be all like so many people are leading with, especially right now.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Interesting to see him next to Memphis. Memphis looks more like the player we need than Gakpo.

Andersons Dietician

You know this for sure yes?
When it was first brought up wasn’t the story they have hired/requested Goldman and Sachs to look for options for investment or possible interest in buyers.

Wasn’t the Glazers statement also “exploring strategic alternative” including the possibility of a sale.

Irwin99

Have watched him in all 4 games and while i'm not sure you'd describe him as an explosive player he does link things up very well. Rarely seems to give the ball away and links up play with deft touches. Can see why there's an argument that he could be converted to a striker.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's actually played better today than in the games where he scored.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He jogs around everywhere. I get he knows where the goal is but theres nothing else I find impressive about his game.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Interesting to see him next to Memphis. Memphis looks more like the player we need than Gakpo.
Agree with this. DareIsay it Gakpo reminds me a lot of latter years Cristiano Ronaldo: Got a wicked shot on him, great in a transition team that sits in and breaks out of a shape, but if you want to press from the front..?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly I thought Depay was pretty meh. Definitely don't want him at United.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly I thought Depay was pretty meh. Definitely don't want him at United.
He was but he was more of what we need than Gakpo.

Personally, I would only go for Gakpo if we are unable to agree terms with Rashford. Very similar profiles, do similar things. At an arguably lesser level, Gakpo has proven to be more clinical. However, I would not be confident that Gakpo will excel playing back to goal at this moment in time. If its a toss up between him and Memphis for that task, specifically, Memphis is obviously the better option.

Hopefully the United scouting system will provide some better options than just who looks good in Qatar. Frankly, when it comes to the lone striker role, IMO Embolo of Switzerland has been better than either Depay or Gakpo and I wouldn't want Embolo either.

edcunited1878

When it was first brought up wasn’t the story they have hired/requested Goldman and Sachs to look for options for investment or possible interest in buyers.

Wasn’t the Glazers statement also “exploring strategic alternative” including the possibility of a sale.
Liverpool have hired Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley as part of their sale process. United have not done that at the moment and hired Raine Group to analyze all of the investment strategies available to the Glazer Family, which includes a sale, of varying degrees - partial ownership, minority, or controlling stake.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He jogs around everywhere. I get he knows where the goal is but theres nothing else I find impressive about his game.
Agreed. I'm just hanging to the fact that ETH wants him. Otherwise, he looks like a meh player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He was but he was more of what we need than Gakpo.

Personally, I would only go for Gakpo if we are unable to agree terms with Rashford. Very similar profiles, do similar things. At an arguably lesser level, Gakpo has proven to be more clinical. However, I would not be confident that Gakpo will excel playing back to goal at this moment in time. If its a toss up between him and Memphis for that task, specifically, Memphis is obviously the better option.

Hopefully the United scouting system will provide some better options than just who looks good in Qatar. Frankly, when it comes to the lone striker role, IMO Embolo of Switzerland has been better than either Depay or Gakpo and I wouldn't want Embolo either.
That Korean striker (Cho) impressed me more than Depay and Gakpo.

edcunited1878

I don't think this was the match to determine if Gakpo is good enough for United. He went up against Ream and Zimmerman, he did good with a CF partner.

Think Gakpo is an identified backfill for Rashford if he leaves and has shown his end product / output is legitimate for club and country.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
To be honest I thought that was his best game this world cup from an all round play perspective. He does look awkward in central areas but he has good technique. Just not sure he has enough agility/dynamism to be more than just a good player.

pogbasformerbarber

I totally agree…the Depay hate on here is bizarre. We need a striker. We don’t need a winger. Depay is probably the best striker we could reasonably get in January. Otherwise we go forward with just martial. That’s the rub.

When we need a winger…great let’s look into this guy. But enough with filling this team with the same players….

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The more I see of him the more I think he'll end up being a #10 or second striker in the long run, as opposed to either a CF or LW.

DarkXaero

I actually liked what I saw from him today. Showed good technical skills and link up ability, along with decision making, despite operating off right side (not his natural position). One thing I'll say though, when his team are off the ball, his work rate is non existent. That is a pretty big concern but if he can improve on that, I don't see why we shouldn't go in for him.

foolsgold

Unconvinced, might have been worth a punt at a lower valuation but not at 50m+ If the Rashford renansiance continues I don't see the need at all.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He’s looked like a tidy and efficient player lacking a bit of an explosiveness from the little I’ve seen of him in this tournament. Not very impressive in style yet seemingly quite effective and makes a lot of good choices. Useful in midfield. He doesn’t seem that similar to Rashford beyond playing off the left sometimes.

Mainoldo

He’s looked like a tidy and efficient player lacking a bit of an explosiveness from the little I’ve seen of him in this tournament. Not very impressive in style yet seemingly quite effective and makes a lot of good choices. Useful in midfield. He doesn’t seem that similar to Rashford beyond playing off the left sometimes.
Not like Rashford at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.