Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The more I see of him the more I think he'll end up being a #10 or second striker in the long run, as opposed to either a CF or LW.
He’s looked like a tidy and efficient player lacking a bit of an explosiveness from the little I’ve seen of him in this tournament. Not very impressive in style yet seemingly quite effective and makes a lot of good choices. Useful in midfield. He doesn’t seem that similar to Rashford beyond playing off the left sometimes.
You guys make him sound like a Bruno type player! Maybe that's what Ten Hag is thinking, a bit of competition for that position, especially since he seems to like moving Bruno to left right wing on occasion?

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You guys make him sound like a Bruno type player! Maybe that's what Ten Hag is thinking, a bit of competition for that position, especially since he seems to like moving Bruno to left wing on occasion?
It crossed my mind.

Below are comments from ETH on VDB as a #10:

When I watched back the performance against Sociedad and at Villa, he is in the positions that I expect number tens to do.

Nowadays that tends [to be] really difficult to show themselves. If we have the romantic idea from the number ten who is the playmaker, giving the final passes, if they have to play in the middle of the park that is really difficult there, because nowadays all the good teams close the middle of the park.

So it is really difficult to get a lot of ball touches. That is not the player Donny van de Beek is, but what he is doing well is his positioning and his movements into space with strikers, especially with that number nine.

That combination is really good, positioning and anticipation in and out of possession, and he did it to my satisfaction in the last games. But I have seen he is not on the scoring list, he is not on the assisting list, and he can do better.

I think he’s still not there on his limits. I have seen him better in the past. But I think positioning-wise, he is acting quite well. But he has to make that step up
I wonder if Gakpo would get at least some of his minutes in that role, essentially replacing VDB in the squad as the deputy/alternative to Bruno except one that actually provides the productivity ETH wants but hasn't got from VDB.

Because in that case the signing would make more sense than if he would just be used at either or both LW/#9.

Bondi77

First time I have seen him play.
Nowhere near as quick as what I thought he would be but he seems like a smart player with good awareness and good touch.
I think Premier League would be too quick for him at this moment in time but if he upped his intensity then he may be a good fit.

tjb

First time I have seen him play.
Nowhere near as quick as what I thought he would be but he seems like a smart player with good awareness and good touch.
I think Premier League would be too quick for him at this moment in time but if he upped his intensity then he may be a good fit.
For me, the big thing is his finishing. He has a very unique, direct strike. With the creativity he has, I can see him as a Harry Kane if used properly. Dropping deep to create, but also have the shot power and finishing ability to make him a threat both in and out of the box.
He's also pretty tall.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't really see the Rashford comparison at all, but I didn't pay that much attention to him.
I think people just mean he's an attacker who is more of a LW than a CF, like Rashford. Beyond that they're not particularly similar at all.

Sir Erik ten Hag

I totally agree…the Depay hate on here is bizarre. We need a striker. We don’t need a winger. Depay is probably the best striker we could reasonably get in January. Otherwise we go forward with just martial. That’s the rub.

When we need a winger…great let’s look into this guy. But enough with filling this team with the same players….
I still think Giroud as a stopgap would work until summer.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I really like Cody, but he misses the intensity required for the premier league I think. He always looks like he's giving it about 90% of his best. He has all the attributes required to be a top player, but this will see him fall short.

Judas

Open to offers
We're not on the same level as Real football wise right now, and neither is Gakpo. He'd be a squad player there, not sure he'd get a sniff without an injury crisis.

stoinz

I'm starting to change my mind about this. He would cost us an arm and an leg now and he doesn't seem to have the aggression to his play that is needed to survive in the league.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The more I see of him the more I think he'll end up being a #10 or second striker in the long run, as opposed to either a CF or LW.
I mean, most wide forwards nowadays are essentially either attacking midfielders or second strikers...

Bestietom

I think we need an out and out Number 9. We have enough cover on the wings but need a 25/30 goals a season CF. Now. Yes, Gakpo would score goals for us but I honestly think we should be looking for a top CF.

Last edited:

JustinC00

Being up for sale and owners losing majority control is an option, but that option is not end all be all right now.

This is going to take months into Q2 next year at least to understand what the legit external investment options are available to the owners.

When you hire investment companies like the owners have, anything and everything is on the table including a sale but that isn't end all be all like so many people are leading with, especially right now.

Mate, the club is up for sale. If someone comes in with a 5-6bn offer Glazers will snatch their hand off. If it wasn't for sale Glazers would have rubbished those reports within a day.

Cloud7

This WC is the first time I'm watching him play. He seems a decent player, good productivity, but I just don't see "it" in him. I don't see the special characteristics that would make him a starting member of one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the world which is the level we should be aspiring to be at

croadyman

I think we need an out and out Number 9. We have enough cover on the wings but need a 25/30 goals a season CF. Now. Yes, Gakpo would score goals for us but I honestly think we should be looking for a top CF.
Yeah but getting one in January looks impossible

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He seems to be suggesting that Gakpo isn't ready for the top level and requires another step before reaching it. Not that Real/United aren't up to his standard.

Why wouldn't Real Madrid be at the top level? They're 2nd in La Liga right now after all and qualified for the CL. They won La Liga last season easily.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This WC is the first time I'm watching him play. He seems a decent player, good productivity, but I just don't see "it" in him. I don't see the special characteristics that would make him a starting member of one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the world which is the level we should be aspiring to be at
I'll remind you - we have 1 striker at the club.

Adam-Utd

He seems to be suggesting that Gakpo isn't ready for the top level and requires another step before reaching it. Not that Real/United aren't up to his standard.

Why wouldn't Real Madrid be at the top level? They're 2nd in La Liga right now after all and qualified for the CL. They won La Liga last season easily.
You're not reading it correctly.

He's saying United are a level below Madrid. Just a silly jab at us but at the same time saying Gakpo is ready for the next level.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You're not reading it correctly.

He's saying United are a level below Madrid. Just a silly jab at us but at the same time saying Gakpo is ready for the next level.
If that's what he was saying then he isn't wrong is he? They're qualifying for the knockouts of the CL and winning trophies while we've not won a Trophy for god knows how long and swap between the CL and EL every other season. He's not said anything wrong there. Liverpool are having a shit season by their standards but they've still maintained a better level recently despite being on the way down.

We might not be as big a draw as we once were in terms of footballing success but we're still in the top bracket for high profile jobs given the wages we offer and the stadium and club history.

Cloud7

I'll remind you - we have 1 striker at the club.
I get that, but Gakpo is not going to come cheap. Is he worth the inevitable 80+ million that it will cost to bring him in or would those funds be better invested on some other player?

Adam-Utd

I get that, but Gakpo is not going to come cheap. Is he worth the inevitable 80+ million that it will cost to bring him in or would those funds be better invested on some other player?
up to the club/ETH I guess.

could become a class 9, might be a flop as a LW.

Difficult to know but he certainly knows where the goal is. I can’t think of many strikers out there screaming sign me right now

Status
Not open for further replies.