Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosskeano

Wasn’t the young Napoli striker- Kvaratskhelia, a target? Just had another look at his stats, 6 goals in 12 appearances. Surely Arnold and co should be working to get him over here.
he's a left side right footed winger....but he's pure quality

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is a better radar that describes him... he's been a good scorer/assister, but gives the ball away a ridiculous amount and isn't a complete attacker who is streets ahead of the Eredivisie. Just has been great in terms of the end product while the rest of his game isn't as good

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wasn’t the young Napoli striker- Kvaratskhelia, a target? Just had another look at his stats, 6 goals in 12 appearances. Surely Arnold and co should be working to get him over here.
Kvara plays on the left. Osimhen is their #9.

cyberman

Nah it’s business as usual. If we need someone, we get him. No fuss, no riddles, no efn about. I believe this is due to injuries and not Nunez, just good business.
Must be why your fanbase have been shitting on your owners for their transfer policy for a good few years now.
No fuss.

0le

In case there was any doubt as to whether we were linked to him:

There has been a lot of talk of strikers at United since Ronaldo's contract was terminated last month.

PSV Eindhoven's Cody Gakpo was certainly on their radar before he agreed a move to Liverpool, even if the likely transfer fee would have priced him out of a move to Old Trafford, given the significant spending last summer that manager Erik ten Hag demanded.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64035052

MrSingh2002

Well on US TV in an interview Ten Hag just said "We were looking for a striker but the market is not easy".

Not great that he's spoken in a past tense there. As if Gakpo was nicked off us and were at the drawing board again.

Amarsdd

Is anyone really that bothered we haven't got him? I've watched him in like 5 games this season excluding the WC, never really been impressed.

Quinze

This reeks of a Sadio Mane deal. There's no club that doesn't need versatile quality players.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Just supposition but I feel Gakpo was always Erik's fall back option. In the summer it'd have been good if he could have bought him and Antony but when the latter's value rocketed he was happy enough to pay it and overlook Gakpo rather than sign him instead.

Now the real need is for an out and out striker but we've overspent in the summer so Erik can't splash out again for one. Never mind, he can tweak Gakpo's game to cover as a cheaper alternative which Murtough and chums maybe considered for a while but then said no. Despite all the hot air about finances, I expect if he was 100% the missing piece Erik desperately wanted then they'd have got him.

Ludens the Red

Well I tell you what I don’t feel at all stupid for sitting through two PSV eredivisie matches before the World Cup……

RuudTom83

Makes you smile/laugh when it seems the entire coverage of Gakpo is 99% about United Missing Out on him rather than what the signing brings to Liverpool.

Truth be told, if everyone is fit he doesn't start for Liverpool or United.

Strelok

Is anyone really that bothered we haven't got him? I've watched him in like 5 games this season excluding the WC, never really been impressed.
Imo he's a good and versatile player. Not anything eye catching but this lad got a pretty good football brain, good physique, good pace and good technique.

I don't mind if we don't get him but tbh I don't want him signing for Liverpool at all. Could be their replacement for Mane imo.

Smithy89

So they now have Gakpo, Salah, Jota, Firminio, Diaz and Nunez.

We have Rashford, Antony and Martial. Nice one Glazers.

Ted Lasso

Had a feeling this was one mucked up by the Glazers and Arnold. Lo and behold that's the case. Going to be hard to take when he helps fill some of the gap left by Mane.

Nero

So they now have Gakpo, Salah, Jota, Firminio, Diaz and Nunez.

We have Rashford, Antony and Martial. Nice one Glazers.
Why have you ignored the likes of Garnacho and Sancho? You can't mention anything about current availability as Jota and Diaz are both injured.

lex talionis

I wouldn’t put it quite that way, as Gakpo has in fact been impressive. However…we’re pretty well set at LW — take your pick from Rashford, Garnacho and maybe even Sancho if his rehabilitation is successful — and we’re not giving up on Antony. Where we’re still a bit weak is as striker. On his best day Martial is decent but we definitely need to upgrade on him. I’m not convinced Gakpo is the ideal upgrade. Fine, a slight upgrade, but we need to aim higher.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I think for me you could see Mane suited exactly what Klopp was trying to do. He was dynamic, hard working, could score and assist, was perfectly suited and already adapted to the Premier League, and the most important thing is that he bought into the press from the front, which for me was the basis Klopp built his success from, as all 3 forwards bought into this.

I just don't think Gakpo is that type of player, certainly in the games I've seen him for PSV against British opposition in Europe (x2 vs Leicester, x2 vs Rangers and x2 vs Arsenal). So while I think he does have some very good qualities, (his ball striking being 1 of them), I must admit I'm quite happy to see Klopp having to deviate from that elite pressing machine that made them so horrible to play against.
Time will tell. He's polished many thought-to-be turds.

Coxy

Yes? Our manager (apparently) wanted him - so yea I’m bothered. Lots of potential - a shame

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Wonder if this is a panic buy from liverpool amd a reflection that nuuez is more of a work in progress than first thought.
Probably more to do with jota and Diaz both being out/having been out a while. We can’t keep playing salah nunez and firmino as our forward line week in week out. Esp considering firmino is likely leaving and susceptible to injuries at this point in his career.

Why we keep committing funds to signing left wingers is probably the better question though. We desperately need a midfielder.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No, we have Rashford, Antony, Martial, Sancho and Bruno
We have Rashford, Antony, Martial every full moon or so, Sancho when he feels up for it again (probably March at this point) and an unproven youngster who's barely played at the PL level.

Buno does not play in our front three or when he does on the right, he's a disaster (not his fault).

Status
Not open for further replies.