Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hopefully he´s better than what he showed last night. Not very impressive.
Yeah he definitely is. Not sure what was wrong with him yesterday. Think maybe the United interest earlier in the day fecked his head over. He looked like he was massively trying to force the issue.

Long Time Red

Last season...

Gakpo: 1911 minutes, 12 goals, 10 assists, 7.79 WhoScored rating, 9 MotM
Madueke: 828 minutes, 3 goals, 3 assists, 6.97 WhoScored rating, 1 MotM

He's younger so he may develop but right now Madueke is definitely not better than Gakpo.
:lol: Absolutely not.

Madueke is a FIFA hyped player.
Ah ok fair enough, he got 7 goals and 6 assists in 956 minutes the season before and there seemed to be a bit of hype around him last summer with I think Dortmund interested?

Anyway sounds like Gakpo could be decent.

Waynne

To be fair I’d much rather they do that then go by our ‘scouts’ or ‘data analysts’ or our ‘recruitment team’ as we’d probably end up with a far better functioning and balanced squad, how some of these people have a job let alone at a club as big as United is beyond me.
Isn't Liverpool's recruitment system heavily data driven in their pursuit for new signings? I vaguely remember seeing an article somewhere on how they developed number analytical systems to determine which players matched Klopp's style of play.

Also want to know how Fletcher got that technical role. I mean is he the best in class for that position?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
so if we want this guy, we have to hope Rangers make it to the CL group stage? How much further can we fall?

DutchDemon8

Supports
PSV
Hi, not seen what you have posted previously on Gakpo, but overall what do you make of the player as a PSV fan?
As a PSV fan I love him. Clearly our best player and he's a boyhood fan of the clubas well. Whenever he's fit he is super decisive and more complete than Memphis, Bergwijn or Lozano were when they left. I think he is ready for a big move but I feel like the match between Gakpo and United isn't there. He's better with some space in the counter attack. People here are comparing him to a young Henry and I get why they see that in him but he has no experience in that role. United can't afford a gamble right now.

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I think Evanilson at Porto would be better.

Drz

As a PSV fan I love him. Clearly our best player and he's a boyhood fan of the clubas well. Whenever he's fit he is super decisive and more complete than Memphis, Bergwijn or Lozano were when they left. I think he is ready for a big move but I feel like the match between Gakpo and United isn't there. He's better with some space in the counter attack. People here are comparing him to a young Henry and I get why they see that in him but he has no experience in that role. United can't afford a gamble right now.
Thanks for the feedback.
I don't know about gambling, but without UCL qualification and the poor decisions made over the past decade or so, I doubt we will be able to attract tier-1 and even tier-2 talent for a couple of years. So all I can hope is that we do our homework on potential signings.
Cheers :)

Mainoldo

so if we want this guy, we have to hope Rangers make it to the CL group stage? How much further can we fall?
No!!

PSV want Champions league. They have a better chance with him helping them qualify. If they qualify he’ll still leave. It’s not like they are going to win the bloody thing with him there or not is it.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
No!!

PSV want Champions league. They have a better chance with him helping them qualify. If they qualify he’ll still leave. It’s not like they are going to win the bloody thing with him there or not is it.
Not so sure he will leave if they qualify for CL. Playing in CL will be a good experience for him as well before he leaves abroad. Moreover he's guaranteed to be a starting player as well.

Not sure if it would be a wise move for him to leave a starting place in a CL team behind to join a team abroad. Especially this late in the window where most teams are already settled. It's harder to get yourself in the starting eleven if you're an unproven player and you've missed pre-season. I don't think he'd risk that, when he can finally play the CL with his current club. Especially with the WC coming up.

He'd probably be better off staying at PSV anyway and make the move after the WC. Especially if PSV can offer him CL football he would be silly to make the move imo. If they don't qualify I could see him move, but it'd still be risky for him with the WC coming soon. He's not established enough to go to the WC if he makes a move and doesn't play a lot. One more year (or 6 months) at PSV won't hurt him.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
No!!

you could say same thing about FdJ - barca aren't going to win the CL

Mainoldo

you could say same thing about FdJ - barca aren't going to win the CL
Explain that comment to me. I don’t get you. Is FDJ playing going to help Barca bring in an extra £40 plus additional UCL revenue.

Drz

No!!

I get your point, but we are craving UCL too now, and we can pay him better if he helps us get there. So now what?

Drz

Hey! Multiple highlight videos, multiple all touch videos, 120 mins vs Monaco thank you very much.
haha fair enough :)
I suppose my lack of confidence in the current playing squad is such that an unknown entity looks attractive.
That said if I compare a highlight reel of Gakpo vs Rashford over the past 12 months....

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
haha fair enough :)
I suppose my lack of confidence in the current playing squad is such that an unknown entity looks attractive.
That said if I compare a highlight reel of Gakpo vs Rashford over the past 12 months....
He looks pretty shit (Gapko). Could be wrong though.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Explain that comment to me. I don’t get you. Is FDJ playing going to help Barca bring in an extra £40 plus additional UCL revenue.
you said of gakpo: "If they qualify he’ll still leave. It’s not like they are going to win the bloody thing with him there or not is it."

I said Barca aren't going to win the CL with or without Frenkie

Mainoldo

you said of gakpo: "If they qualify he’ll still leave. It’s not like they are going to win the bloody thing with him there or not is it."

I said Barca aren't going to win the CL with or without Frenkie
I know what was said. I said make it make sense to me. Gakpo will leave because with it without him they still will probably not make it out the group stages. However they will get more funding for being in that competition than not qualify, so this game against Rangers is financial important to them.

What you are doing is assuming this is a Cody Gakpo is important to there Champions League campaign debate. Which is not what I said, I also clarified it by saying he won’t make a difference to their campaign.

Now explain what that has to do with FDJ playing Champions League for Barca.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I know what was said. I said make it make sense to me. Gakpo will leave because with it without him they still will probably not make it out the group stages. However they will get more funding for being in that competition than not qualify, so this game against Rangers is financial important to them.

What you are doing is assuming this is a Cody Gakpo is important to there Champions League campaign debate. Which is not what I said, I also clarified it by saying he won’t make a difference to their campaign.

Now explain what that has to do with FDJ playing Champions League for Barca.
for the third time: FdJ makes no difference to Barca's campaign. they won't come close to winning it

Mainoldo

for the third time: FdJ makes no difference to Barca's campaign. they won't come close to winning it
What does that have to do with Gakpo? :lol:

Gakpo is playing for PSV in the Eridevese…. Not Barcelona in La Liga on €350+k a week.

If you don’t know the difference make the lord give you vision.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Had an initial convo with Ten Hag apparantly. I'm still excited for this to happen if if he could fail completely at United. I like the guy.

Ted Lasso

Had an initial convo with Ten Hag apparantly. I'm still excited for this to happen if if he could fail completely at United. I like the guy.
Haven't seen anything about this but that's a good sign. The kid seems a lot more physically adept than Antony which could make for an easier first couple seasons in the premier league.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What does that have to do with Gakpo? :lol:

Gakpo is playing for PSV in the Eridevese…. Not Barcelona in La Liga on €350+k a week.

If you don’t know the difference make the lord give you vision.
are you being thick on purpose or are you just a WUM?

Mainoldo

are you being thick on purpose or are you just a WUM?
Bro don’t bother responding back. Just wait until the end of the window and if this happens I’ll give you a point by point breakdown of exactly what I’m talking about.

But screenshot it and be prepared to ask plenty of question so you don’t get urself in a situation like this again.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Bro don’t bother responding back. Just wait until the end of the window and if this happens I’ll give you a point by point breakdown of exactly what I’m talking about.

But screenshot it and be prepared to ask plenty of question so you don’t get urself in a situation like this again.
could you be more condescending? congratulations - you are the first person I've ever blocked

ti vu

Haven't seen anything about this but that's a good sign. The kid seems a lot more physically adept than Antony which could make for an easier first couple seasons in the premier league.
I don't understand, and especially don't agree with this physically adapt description for a wide forward/ winger. Quite a few example of small size attacker succeed in PL. It's more about having exceptional balance, acceleration, ball control, quick feet, speed of thought... Antony ticked all these boxes. It's just that Ajax prices out Antony by their asking fee, so it may be too big an unaffordable gamble.

While Cody Gakpo has the natural physique, he's not exceptional strong. With Luuk de Jong side by side, you can see the contrast in term of physicality. Gakpo is quick, and skillful, but he's not exceptional. He had a prolific season but so did Memphis and Bergwjin. Bergwjin just scored a hattrick earlier for Ajax, yet he was so underwhelming for Tottenham in PL. So as Depay was for us.

What I am trying to say, is goal scoring, assist rate may be the deceptive metric to as characteristic of PL can be very different to Dutch league. Attribute as I described Antony above, is the better base for development upon if a player doesn't hit the ground running productively. Cody Gakpo is not in the same comparison to Antony.

Side note: having the optimal physique, height, body frame is important for position like CB IMO. There are players like Fellaini who made a career as an aerial focal point. It's common sense that you can't expect Martinez to be able to deal with Fellaini kind in the box every time. And those odd chances, can influence the score line.

Wing Attack Plan R

Gakpo for £30 million, or Memphis for £16.91 million? Memphis is supposedly being offered as a makeweight in a deal for Jules Kounde where Barcelona is 20 million Euros short. I'd take Memphis, maybe sweeten the pot to bring De Jong over as well. At least Memphis knows what he's up against in this league. He's physically far stronger than Gakpo, and had 14 goals in 28 appearances last season.

Ted Lasso

I don't understand, and especially don't agree with this physically adapt description for a wide forward/ winger. Quite a few example of small size attacker succeed in PL. It's more about having exceptional balance, acceleration, ball control, quick feet, speed of thought... Antony ticked all these boxes. It's just that Ajax prices out Antony by their asking fee, so it may be too big an unaffordable gamble.

While Cody Gakpo has the natural physique, he's not exceptional strong. With Luuk de Jong side by side, you can see the contrast in term of physicality. Gakpo is quick, and skillful, but he's not exceptional. He had a prolific season but so did Memphis and Bergwjin. Bergwjin just scored a hattrick earlier for Ajax, yet he was so underwhelming for Tottenham in PL. So as Depay was for us.

What I am trying to say, is goal scoring, assist rate may be the deceptive metric to as characteristic of PL can be very different to Dutch league. Attribute as I described Antony above, is the better base for development upon if a player doesn't hit the ground running productively. Cody Gakpo is not in the same comparison to Antony.

Side note: having the optimal physique, height, body frame is important for position like CB IMO. There are players like Fellaini who made a career as an aerial focal point. It's common sense that you can't expect Martinez to be able to deal with Fellaini kind in the box every time. And those odd chances, can influence the score line.
Agree with your point but I think you've mistaken valuing physicality as a trait in an attacker with thinking one can't be without it. That and there's talk of him being more central.

ti vu

Agree with your point but I think you've mistaken valuing physicality as a trait in an attacker with thinking one can't be without it. That and there's talk of him being more central.
Chicharito, Kevin Philip, Defoe, Michael Owen played CF and they can't be described as physical player. More like fox in the box. Some you have someone like Robbie Keane, Aguero, Rooney with thicker build. They're touch as a nail despite their below average height.

I think you're mistaking physicality and physique (tall, big frame). For example: Lindelof is taller than Thiago Silva, but Lindelof is physical weak, while Thiago Silva punch above his weight class for his size.

Gakpo has height, but IMO he's far from certain to be able tohandle physical aspect of PL. Luuk de Jong used to spend time in PL and he's average in the physicality at best. And side by side in PSV team, Luuk de Jong is visibly physical stronger. And Gakpo is not that quick where he can simply outpace defenders from half turn to avoid physical confrontation.

It sounds like bad idea to bring Gakpo to PL and tried him in a new position. People compare the lack of physicality in his game for his height to Rashford is spot on IMO.

Marcus

Looks like an interesting signing. Definitely need quality young attackers at United.

Teja

Gakpo for £30 million, or Memphis for £16.91 million? Memphis is supposedly being offered as a makeweight in a deal for Jules Kounde where Barcelona is 20 million Euros short. I'd take Memphis, maybe sweeten the pot to bring De Jong over as well. At least Memphis knows what he's up against in this league. He's physically far stronger than Gakpo, and had 14 goals in 28 appearances last season.
Yeah this. Memphis is significantly more proven.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'd take him. In fact, i'd take anyone not named Marcus Rashford on the left wing!

Status
Not open for further replies.