Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
As someone who follows Dutch football closely Gakpo was absolutely fundamental to PSV last season without him they wouldn’t have a hope in hell of being anywhere near the top of the table.

He is an incredibly talented winger/forward who we would be very lucky to sign. Imagine Rashford gets injured and our options for goal scoring wide forward are who exactly?

Bring him in!!!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
we are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He looks like a player the likes of Brighton or Brentford should be taking a punt on.

Doesn't seem like he'd be good enough to start most games for us, but at an age where he needs to be playing every week.

city-puma

He is already good enough to take a look at. Absolutely a better option than Sesko in term of readiness and immediate impact. They offer differently though.
I think we should go for him.

Bobski

Is it just me that gets Rashford vibes off these clips?
Absolutely, the vast majority of the goals are either cut in and shoot off the left, or tap ins at the back post.

Depay was similar, but then he was taking more shots than any attacker in Europe the season before Utd bought him, in a weaker league.

Some crackers in that video, but what is his success rate?

city-puma

Don’t be fooled to think he can only play LW. Watching him playing reminds me Luis Saha somehow.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You've seen a lot of him then?

What are his weaknesses?
Does it matter? Eth wanted Nunes now we are for sesko. He wanted tiny Timber he had to settle for tinier Martinez, he wanted de jong and after 2 months it's still up in the air. He wanted Antony and we are now for Cody whatsoever. We are now scrapping the bottom of the barrel here

House Mkhitaryan

I posted this in the Antony thread a while back...

Antony vs Gakpo

Antony:
22 years old
Brazil / Ajax
21/22 Eredivisie stats
21 apps (1736 mins)
8 goals
4 assists
WhoScored rating: 7.47 (3 MoM)
Transfermkt value: €38.50m

Gakpo:
23 years old
Holland / PSV
21/22 Eredivisie stats
22 apps (1911 mins)
12 goals
13 assists
WhoScored rating: 7.79 (9 MoM!)
Transfermkt value: €33.00m

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Elanga isn’t good enough for the team. Other than being someone who gives his all. He’s lacking in technical skills
Yep. He's one who hasn't even proven he's squad player material. Would normally be sold fairly soon but he came in at a time when the teams worm rate was being questioned and he gave that.

amolbhatia50k

I posted this in the Antony thread a while back...

Antony vs Gakpo

Antony:
22 years old
Brazil / Ajax
21/22 Eredivisie stats
21 apps (1736 mins)
8 goals
4 assists
WhoScored rating: 7.47 (3 MoM)
Transfermkt value: €38.50m

Gakpo:
23 years old
Holland / PSV
21/22 Eredivisie stats
22 apps (1911 mins)
12 goals
13 assists
WhoScored rating: 7.79 (9 MoM!)
Transfermkt value: €33.00m
Isn't Gapko more of a striker and Antony a winger?

amolbhatia50k

Gapko is more flexible in front. He is much more athletic as well. Those traits are not Antony could offer. Antony is not ready for us in my opinion.
I do think we need someone who has goal threat (and possibly explosiveness) to counter balance Sancho's technical excellence and creativity. Antony looks but doesn't seem to have that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If anything he is similar to Greenwood in terms of player profile. Not a natural winger yet not yet a natural centre forward, but with reasonable expectation that long term role would be central.

And he looks like Dele Alli.

avgp_1

CF is his long term position IMO. Will be a good signing

Mr PG

In his last premier league season he scored 3. He is not prem level imo.
It’s all about service. If we dominate and play high up the pitch he’d score lots of headers from Bruno/Eriksen service

city-puma

I do think we need someone who has goal threat (and possibly explosiveness) to counter balance Sancho's technical excellence and creativity. Antony looks but doesn't seem to have that.
Agree. Antony has high potential but at his current level, a lot of us will feel very frustrated to watch him play in EPL, much more frustrated than watching Memphis played when he was with us.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Decent player. Not good enough to get UTD back to the top 4 but the squad needs more players desperately.

Raven

Only seen him live once but he really impressed me. If he's as good as he looked then I'd be very happy for us to sign him.

Telsim

Is our interest genuine though or is it the media making shit up again?

davidmichael

Isn’t Gakpo expected to move central sooner rather than later ? Isn’t the whole point of the RVP comparisons ? If we move Ronaldo on then bringing Gakpo in makes sense as he can play wide or central so gives ETH options and depth.

Bojan Djordjic

Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho can all play left wing. Only Sancho can play on the right. We really can’t stop buying left wingers, I thought we’d moved on from there. Even when we buy a RW like Sancho he ends up being better on the left. See also Dan James. CB’s and LW’s; a United love affair.
Who's your right wing pick? There's no real outstanding targets in that position. We've been priced out of EtH's favoured pick. Amad, Rashford, Pellestri and Elanga will do a job on the right although far from ideal. It's been a really weird summer because it feels like there's no quality candidates available in any of our positions of need.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Who's your right wing pick? There's no real outstanding targets in that position. We've been priced out of EtH's favoured pick. Amad, Rashford, Pellestri and Elanga will do a job on the right although far from ideal. It's been a really weird summer because it feels like there's no quality candidates available in any of our positions of need.
Loan Asensio or get ziyech on cheap, then go for Antony next summer for a more reasonable fee. Ziyech is at the age where being a short term rotation guy is fine.

C'est Moi Cantona

Hope so but in desperate times he is going to go with what he knows I guess

I am worried about the drop in standard between the two leagues
Elanga would look impressive in the Dutch league
Rashford top scorer, the amount of space you get
Yes, we've seen it far too often for it not to be a big concern.

ETH seems to want to surround himself with famililarity above everything else this window for whatever reason, it does make you conclude that he just doesn't know that many players outside of the Dutch league well enough to buy them, or trust our scouting to recommend any.

Vapor trail

Gakpo is a very good player. He has all the qualities to play a centre forward role so is versatile in this regard. I watched a few of his games last season for around a month or so the comparisons with Greenwood are quite accurate in terms of shooting, he does have a belter of a right foot. Quick player and nimble for his size. I don't know if his productivity fell off towards the end of PSV campaign last season but he was integral.

Funnily enough I wasn't even watching some of the games for Cody in particular but actually for Maduake and Gakpo was the key attacking threat.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Best/most talented player in the ED. He has the potential to become a Van Persie type CF, IMO.

He does realise there are other options than Eredivisie or Dutch players out there.
Think it's clear by now he doesn't trust the scouts. I hope we fix that long term, but I don't mind it for one summer.
I'd rather have this than board signings, like Donny and AWB.

Status
Not open for further replies.