Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I had Southampton in mind when I suggested he would be a good striker for a mid or lower table PL team.
I agree a club like Southampton would be much more logical than going to a club like United. He's just not good enough yet. United doesn't need him at all, as they have at least 3 better options on the left.

From the top 6 sides, I'd say only Arsenal could use him as a rotation player and he could potentially even challenge Martinelli for a starting spot. I have never been that impressed with Martinelli. The other top 6 sides all have multiple better options on Gakpo's position.

I still think Gakpo could better stay one more year. It's his best chance to get into the WC and after 1 more year of proving himself at PSV (and hopefully finally in European games as well) and possibly the NT I think he could make a much better move and also be more respected when he joins a new club. If he does make a transfer now he should really go to a midtable PL club and not a top 6 club. As said, bar Arsenal I don't see in which top 6 club he'd get a lot of minutes.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Thing is, he’ll go to Southampton, score a boat load of goals and then the CAF would bitch and moan as to why we didn’t sign him
I don't think anyone is capable of scoring a boatload of goals for this Southampton side.

dal

Cant we just sign Zaha, I’d love him back here, would probably cost to much though.

Zaha, Martial, Sancho, Rashford, Antony, Bruno, Ericksen.

Thats a good blend of skill and maturity if Ronaldo leaves, replace Martial with a proper player later on and it leaves space for 1-2 youngsters.

Last edited:

Trequarista10

Cant we just sign Zaha, I’d love him back here, would probably cost to much though.
He'd cost us less than he'd cost anyone else, given we have a sell-on %. Only one season left on his contract I believe. He'd be less than you might expect.

I'd be 50:50 on it but I'm surprised it's not something that's been suggested more.

captaincantona

Zaha, Martial, Sancho, Rashford, Antony, Bruno, Ericksen.

Thats a good blend of skill and maturity if Ronaldo leaves, replace Martial with a proper player later on and it leaves space for 1-2 youngsters.
Zaha thinks he is better than he is…always seems to be pointing fingers when Palace are off the boil. That type of petulance is only worth it if the level of performance is high enough - Zaha is hit and miss at the best of times.

dal

Rashford——Zaha——-Antony.

I think that has the potential to be devastating with Martial, Sancho and Garnacho in reserve.

NoPace

I don't think anyone is capable of scoring a boatload of goals for this Southampton side.
They don't create much, but some of the raw ingredients are there for an attacking mid to shine: Coach who wants to press, quick young CBs who can play a high line, Walker-Peters is fantastic going forward and Lavia a good passer for a DM and Ward-Prowse with his delivery, Adams an unselfish 9 who works for others (assuming he stays) and Aribo is decent, but they need a really creative player and a goal scorer to join them. Mara looks fairly creative though he's still probably too young to be consistent.

I'd be surprised if he joins them, but I think they can become a respectable side IF they sign a couple of decent attackers.

Abraxas

Rashford——Zaha——-Antony.

I think that has the potential to be devastating with Martial, Sancho and Garnacho in reserve.
Hard to imagine Zaha leaving now. If that was ever going to be viable it would have been weeks ago.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
They only want 25 million apparently?
No way. €PSV want 50m+, which is about £42m. Reports here say Southampton have indicated they will make an offer in the €35-40m, which is £30-35m, range.

Based on Gakpo's European performances, I wouldn't pay much more than that. On the other hand, PSV saw what was paid for Antony. Gakpo also has a long term contract, so I can see why PSV would be holding out for a €50m fee this close to the deadline. I can imagine these kind of fees being too high for Southampton though.

Bondi77

Hold on!
I thought the tier 1 journos said that personal terms had been agreed and a bid would be put in after the Rangers game :lol: :lol:
Absolute bollocks and I hope people learn from this.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Hold on!
I thought the tier 1 journos said that personal terms had been agreed and a bid would be put in after the Rangers game :lol: :lol:
Absolute bollocks and I hope people learn from this.
Personal terms may well have been agreed.

We may have just kept him warm if Antony fell through.

It’s not as simple as personal terms = signing

Bondi77

Personal terms may well have been agreed.

We may have just kept him warm if Antony fell through.

It’s not as simple as personal terms = signing
They play in different positions mate.
It was all bollocks like I said but if it gives you a buzz reading all the bull then who am I to kill your buzz.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
They play in different positions mate.
It was all bollocks like I said but if it gives you a buzz reading all the bull then who am I to kill your buzz.
EtH wanted a 'versatile forward' which both are. Doesn't matter whether they are RW/LW they're both versatile forwards.

Ted Lasso

Wonder if this is off because of Ronaldo to Napoli opening the door for Osihmen

tidraKS

I'd keep this open in case Ronaldo goes to Napoli. 25 million pounds should be enough for him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Rashford——Zaha——-Antony.

Zaha wouldn't come back to United

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
€30M is next to nothing. Get him. We need more forwards.
What makes you think you'll get him for 30? It's more likely PSV will demand 60 rather than selling him for 30 this close to the deadline.

Gakpo was just a silly smokescreen imo. Was never going to scare Ajax of course, hence it was a really poor attempt. Gakpo is a LW that could potentially become a CF one day. He's the exact same type as Rashford and Martial and offers nothing more than what they bring to the table. Gakpo just doesn't make sense at all and after PSV saw that Ajax got 100m for Antony they're not going to settle for a decent fee either, with just a day left in the window (Dutch transfer market closes 1 day sooner).

Infra-red

Wonder if this is off because of Ronaldo to Napoli opening the door for Osihmen
No, it's apparently off because we ended up paying more than we ideally wanted to for Antony. Realistically, it was probably always pretty unlikely that we could have done both.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Zaha wouldn't come back to United
Good. Wasn’t that great here. Don’t understand why people think just because a player is decent at an average club that they’ll be world class when they come to us.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Memphis has struggled until fairly recently, the only place he has truly looked far best is the NT where he has had zero competition.
Bergwijn had Kane and Son keeping him on the bench.
Locadia is 29 y/o and playing in Iran.

Leaving at this point in the window and to a struggling side like Southampton is a huge risk, but he wouldn't face as much competition as Memphis and Bergwijn did ... not sure if it will work out well ...

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Gakpo should stay win the league with PSV then look at his suitors next summer.

Abraxas

Good. Wasn’t that great here. Don’t understand why people think just because a player is decent at an average club that they’ll be world class when they come to us.
If poor means hardly playing then he was poor, but really it was a case of potentially the right club at the wrong time. I think if he had come later his particular brand of individualism would have been useful under a manager like Ole on the counter. He has crazy pace and ability to beat people, but he'd never be world class of course, not sure anyone has stated that he would be.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If poor means hardly playing then he was poor, but really it was a case of potentially the right club at the wrong time. I think if he had come later his particular brand of individualism would have been useful under a manager like Ole on the counter. He has crazy pace and ability to beat people, but he'd never be world class of course, not sure anyone has stated that he would be.
Think his times been and gone personally. Your right though, he came at the wrong time and it didn’t help that he was playing under a manager that didn’t like him.

Lights Out

You just know that Gakpo will go to Southampton and put up better numbers than Antony.

We should have gone for him if it’s only going to be around £25m and we still have games where Elanga is starting

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
You just know that Gakpo will go to Southampton and put up better numbers than Antony.

We should have gone for him if it’s only going to be around £25m and we still have games where Elanga is starting
PSV wants at least €50m, he's by far their most valuable player in terms of g/a. Letting him leave now and with Madueke out for months will likely mean they won't be battling with Ajax for the title, but instead with Feyenoord for second place.

That's a possible €40m in CL qualification money down the drain.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

Why should we have sighed him instead of Antony? Just because he's cheaper?

Who's the better player?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

Surely the fact our Ten Hag identified signings have been very good so far should give you confidence Antony can also be a big success. These are players our manager can trust.

saik

Just scored another brace today. Anyone watching? How is he playing? Looks like he can put up the stats in the Dutch league alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.