Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Who are all these fantastic left wingers? Rashford and Garnacho? Sancho is going to be used on the right wing.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Who are all these fantastic left wingers? Rashford and Garnacho? Sancho is going to be used on the right wing.
It's not hard to understand. We can play Rashford, Sancho, Martial and Garnacho on the left and those are better options than playing Sancho, Amad, Chong, Pellistri on the right.

Idxomer

But Gakpo isn't a fantastic talent as a left winger, he'll be like Memphis in that position in the PL.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have a few resident PSV fans no? What do the dutch contingent say about him?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would be all for signing him as the development options for striker. Like the look of him whenever I've seen him, highly rated on FM which obviously matters, has a good physique and had a great year in the eredivisie last year. Needs time to develop but won't be a starter anyway. We lost out on Sesko, need an option, I'd say he's the next talent up (he's ahead of Sesko right now anyway, just probably not potential wise).

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I just hope we get him because he look like he could develop into a very good player.
I think a key thing for me is his mentality to be the big player in a title challenge. He’s constantly been the player to try something for the side and took on the responsibility of being the main man really well.

My worry with Gakpo isn’t his attacking contribution which I’m sure will be good and at 6ft 2 he’s not exactly going to struggle physically it’s more than his defensive work needs a bit of tightening up. I think ETH can sort this though.

Antony (another player I do admire) hasn’t really ever had to deal with the same pressure yet.
That must be the reason. However he didn't so himself any favors last week in that regard. Gakpo looked really poor in the first match against Monaco. These are the kind of games where he has to show himself. Maybe tonight.

Certainly an interesting player for United, who can't get true gems right now. I don't see Gakpo as a true gem, I'll be happy (for Dutch football) if he becomes better than Bergwijn and Depay. His clinical finishing and crossing do seem at a higher level, which might just take him to a slightly higher level than Depay/Bergwijn. Let's hope so. From that respect I do rate Antony higher. I honestly belief Antony's ceiling could be the absolute top. I don't believe that for Gakpo. Nevertheless there's no guarantees. Many players have not reached their full potential and Gakpo at around €45m, which is what I think would be PSVs price, is a better deal than Antony at €80m at this point in time.
Gakpo has performed in most “big” games for PSV. He’s also more importantly performed as the main man across 2 seasons now without him PSV would be nowhere near a title race.

He’s also not as flashy as Depay and in my view probably a better finisher than him too.

All transfers are risks this appears to be one for a reasonable fee with a decent chance of working out for us.

Rolaholic

Now this is a signing I can get behind, young and hungry with a lot of room to grow/develop further.

All the Eredivisie fans see him as a better talent than Antony and it seems he's been earmarked as a CF in the future.

The RVP comps are also endearing :lol: :drool:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We have a few resident PSV fans no? What do the dutch contingent say about him?
I’m an AZ fan as well as United so follow Dutch football very closely. Gakpo was for me comfortably the best attacking player in Eredivise last season.

The reason I also wanted Antony is because he’s a left footed right winger. That doesn’t make him currently a better player just something we were also lacking.

The White Pele

Looks a worthwhile signing. Has good striking ability which we are lacking in forward areas. Could develop in the 9 role or take that left side role if Rashford can’t recover his form.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m an AZ fan as well as United so follow Dutch football very closely. Gakpo was for me comfortably the best attacking player in Eredivise last season.

The reason I also wanted Antony is because he’s a left footed right winger. That doesn’t make him currently a better player just something we were also lacking.
Thanks.
This points to why highlight videos are bad because Antony looks better, and I am concerned with Gapko's dribbling. It looks like a style where a player constantly looks like they dont actually have control over the ball but bundle their way through :lol:

I'm likely very wrong, because I don't watch him play. Style appears a bit like Rashford dribbling but probably better.

Raven

I think this would be a great signing, big talent, good age and a very reasonable price. Please let it happen.

Castia

A lot of people say hes better than Antony which is encouraging.

arthurka

We are seriously lacking depth and he seems to have a knack for goals and shows up for the night matches. Hope we sign him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Let's hope his side get knocked out of the CL then.

My sense is that from a financial POV this is the profile of signing that would represent relatively low risk? I'm thinking of players like Depay and Bergwin signed from the same league by PL clubs for around £25m/£26.7m and then sold for £16-22m/€31m respectively.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Thanks.
This points to why highlight videos are bad because Antony looks better, and I am concerned with Gapko's dribbling. It looks like a style where a player constantly looks like they dont actually have control over the ball but bundle their way through :lol:

I'm likely very wrong, because I don't watch him play. Style appears a bit like Rashford dribbling but probably better.
Antony is better at dribbling but again an ETH side doesn’t rely on that it’s about cohesive movement in attacking areas and decision making which to be fair I think Gakpo is better at in an attacking sense.

He’s probably (and this is just my own opinion) not as good at the middle third link up as Antony but it’s also not really his role to for PSV so it’s not to say he couldn’t do that. He’s a fantastic striker of the ball as evidenced by his crossing and finishing and I do think a few here have ignored that he’s a good passer too (again it’s just not his main function in the PSV side.)

I wouldn’t say he’s a better dribbler than Rashford but he’s good and I’d be happy to have Gakpo as an option.

Rashford
Gakpo
Garnacho

Sancho
Elanga
Amad

By no means perfect but it gives a genuine rest option for Rashford and also another player who can play CF.

Houdini

Absolute beast. Would be a superb signing for peanuts. Looks better than Antony.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He sounds like a good player but another left-sided attacker. I don't think this is what we need.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He's nothing like early Rashford, and he's arguably better than Rashford and Martial.
Really? He plays very similar to Rashford for me.

And it's difficult to state he's better than either of them as he hasn't made the step up yet.
He didn't exactly bring the house down against Leicester last season and I don't see any qualities that Martial or Rashford hasn't got yet.

Mike Smalling

Never heard of him. Let's go!

On a serious note, 21 goals from the wing last season is decent.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He sounds like a good player but another left-sided attacker. I don't think this is what we need.
Rashford gets a muscle injury what happens?

Sancho moves to LW and we lose our balance in attack.

Adamsk7

Quick, physical, great shot. Yes please. He's better than Antony (IMO).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
From what we know about Ten Hag I wouldn't be focused on the position a player played prior to operating in his system. He may move him to a role that's different. Maybe a CF, maybe off the right, who knows.

Giggsy13

I’m all for this move. Right age and can develop under ten Hag. These are the types of moves that are desperately needed.

bosnian_red

That Ajax fan on twitter thinks he is class and the best attacker in the eredivisie. This one seems dependent on PSV qualifying for the CL or not. They play Monaco now and then there is another round after. If they qualify, he will stay a year, if not, he'll leave. We should be all over it.

NoLegendary

As a Dutchie, I have seen him play first hand... it was the nation leagues against Wales.

In this game, 3 players impressed me a lot; Frenkie, Noa Lang and Gakpo.

Frenkie gave a real masterclass, he was one or two levels above everyone.

Gakpo was a physical beast...He got a very lucky ball in front of his feet, but finished it impressively and ice-cold. He was working his butt off, was putting on pressure and was dangerous a couple times and gave good and nice passes. Now don't get me wrong, it was a "friendly" and it was against Wales, and I dont think Gapko has near the quality to put us a bit out of this mess, but it is an investment that almost cant get wrong. He is still very young, physically build for the PL, puts in the work that our forwards never have seem to heard of and can actually give a damn pass over 2 meters unlike our overpaid diva's.

And last but not least, if it is between Arnautovic and Gakpo, dont let me laugh.

Long story short; not near the quality to bring us back, but better than all the options we have on the wings right now (bar Sancho maybe).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That Ajax fan on twitter thinks he is class and the best attacker in the eredivisie. This one seems dependent on PSV qualifying for the CL or not. They play Monaco now and then there is another round after. If they qualify, he will stay a year, if not, he'll leave. We should be all over it.
I think Romano said its more that he wants to finish the qualification first and help his team before considering his own future. I don't know whether he'd decide to stay if they get CL, my understanding was that he wants to focus on the match first.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Sancho’s best position is LW , it’s a RW we need
If we want him to be our goal threat then yes but we clearly are using him as a creator and in the absence of available RW options it makes sense to use the guy we payed £70m+ for to perform that role as much as possible.

DevilRed

Rashford was always best as a striker IMHO.

Gakpo coming allows him to play in his more natural position. At least more often.

bosnian_red

I think Romano said its more that he wants to finish the qualification first and help his team before considering his own future. I don't know whether he'd decide to stay if they get CL, my understanding was that he wants to focus on the match first.
I mean, I could see it. Qualifies them for the CL is a decent reason to stay another year. It was the same with Martial before he joined. If they lose today, I'd expect things to move quickly. Win and there's another round to go through.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I mean, I could see it. Qualifies them for the CL is a decent reason to stay another year. It was the same with Martial before he joined. If they lose today, I'd expect things to move quickly. Win and there's another round to go through.
Think its the second leg today, first leg was 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.