Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Didnt someone create a thread for him a couple of days back ? and lo and behold we're linked with him. Easy life being a footie journo.

bucky

Well, hopefully we watched him against Monaco and how Vanderson kept him quite all game.

Unless he's going to play centrally for us, this makes zero sense.

Remember the geese

Sancho isn’t better from the left and never has been. I agree he can play there well but his best career footballs been from the right, last season he just in down the left because Greenwood was on the right & Rashford was playing so poorly on the left. Elanga can play both sides fine but his best for us has come from the right. Rashford can only play left I tend to agree.
Sancho was better on the left for Dortmund, but he was also quality on the right so it's not a big deal either way. Elanga has played the majority of his football for us on the right, but he is better on the left.

Zoo

Didnt someone create a thread for him a couple of days back ? and lo and behold we're linked with him. Easy life being a footie journo.
He was the first one on Malacia and has been reliable on the club since Ten Hag was hired.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was going to say, I've seen quite a few say he'll be a CF. If I remember right, somebody compared him to RVP?
He does have some similarities to Persie in the way Greenwood does. Persie also started his career as a winger and Gakpo looks far more a centre forward to me long term than a wide man.

What he is, is pure class though.

Alemar

His arrival would hamper development of Garnacho. We much rather need reinforcements up top and on the right, not at LF position

AndySmith1990

His arrival would hamper development of Garnacho. We much rather need reinforcements up top and on the right, not at LF position
We shouldn't sign FDJ either, it'd hamper the development of Zidane, Garner and Savage.

JB7

Sancho was better on the left for Dortmund, but he was also quality on the right so it's not a big deal either way. Elanga has played the majority of his football for us on the right, but he is better on the left.
Sancho we’ll have to agree to disagree. Stats wise there was nothing in it, though he scored more from the left & assisted more from the right. But I found him a better player overall from the right for Dortmund. On Elanga I’ve not seen much of him on the left but he’s been fine on the right overall & is a decent enough back up for Sancho there I think.

Blood Mage

Not good enough. Sangare is the only PSV player we should be looking at and I don't understand why we're not.

Remember the geese

Sancho we’ll have to agree to disagree. Stats wise there was nothing in it, though he scored more from the left & assisted more from the right. But I found him a better player overall from the right for Dortmund. On Elanga I’ve not seen much of him on the left but he’s been fine on the right overall & is a decent enough back up for Sancho there I think.
On Elanga, he will need to improve big time to be considered as a decent backup player for us. He started off well when he first came into the team, but then tailed off massively. Pre season hasn't been impressive from him either. I think he has it in him to be a reasonable squad player for us, but we need big performances from him now. Ideally, he should be out on loan in the Championship.

Orange Tree

reminds me of RVP/Greenwood. If we are in for him, it would be for the CF position.

Robbo*

On Elanga, he will need to improve big time to be considered as a decent backup player for us. He started off well when he first came into the team, but then tailed off massively. Pre season hasn't been impressive from him either. I think he has it in him to be a reasonable squad player for us, but we need big performances from him now. Ideally, he should be out on loan in the Championship.
yeah part of me thinks Elanga would be best served by 40 games in the Championship while we figure out if any of our technically more advanced players - Garnacho, Hannibal, Diallo, Pellistri - are able to begin contributing at a senior level. Probably contingent on bringing in at least one more senior player too though.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Elanga isn’t good enough for the team. Other than being someone who gives his all. He’s lacking in technical skills

Bojan Djordjic

Never seen him play, I know absolutely nothing about him but after watching a few YouTube videos he looks VERY average.

I know it’s not the best way to judge a player but I was expecting more from him given his stats from last season.
Am I missing something? Loads of people are mentioning his stats but he scored 11 non-penalty goals which is fine but not something you would expect him to replicate in the premier league. His lack of acceleration and pace would almost certainly be a big issue in the premiership if he doesn't have other strings to his bow.

MrSingh2002

Is Van Nistelrooy the coach there now?

So he has the chance to work with RVN or Benni McCarthy?

I know who I go with for my development. Looks like his future is Centre Forward though from the clips. Knows where the goal is.

Idxomer

Is Van Nistelrooy the coach there now?

So he has the chance to work with RVN or Benni McCarthy?

I know who I go with for my development. Looks like his future is Centre Forward though from the clips. Knows where the goal is.
Ruud has been his coach for 3 years before becoming the manager this season.

DevTheRed

Am I missing something? Loads of people are mentioning his stats but he scored 11 non-penalty goals which is fine but not something you would expect him to replicate in the premier league. His lack of acceleration and pace would almost certainly be a big issue in the premiership if he doesn't have other strings to his bow.
12 goals and 13 assists in 22 starts in the league is a good return.

I agree that he would struggle in the premier league.. even his dribbling looks quite clumsy at times. If anything he would be better as a CF.. looks fairly strong, seems intelligent and a decent finisher.

For me he’s not worth the risk for £40m.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like him and he is far better than Elanga, huge potential but not sure if he's ready for the Prem just yet. But better than Elanga sooooo still an improvement.

Sesko, Gakpo, Antony... All seem to be players who would be better/more reasonable next summer but because we have no other options have to accelerate.

Stadjer

He has a good shot.... other than that not that special. I thought Bergwijn and Memphis were better at PSV and they both couldnt make the step up from PSV to a big English club.

Mr PG

Cody is very good. Very good and physical too. Would have similar impact to Malacia. Erevidise players struggle to adapt because they get bought then played in a different system which would not be the case here.

Telsim

I would take him if the price is reasonable. I'd rather have him on the left and Sancho on the right, than Sancho on the left and Rashford on the right. But where does that leave Garnacho then?

Mr PG

A mitrovic and cody combination would do more for us than even getting Dejong. Look what klopp has done with cheap attainable forwards

BuzzKillington

Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Garnacho can all play left wing. Only Sancho can play on the right. We really can’t stop buying left wingers, I thought we’d moved on from there. Even when we buy a RW like Sancho he ends up being better on the left. See also Dan James. CB’s and LW’s; a United love affair.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's a shocking statement. Based on Mitrovic scoring against Liverpool today? He's a championship level striker.
To be fair, a striker who scores more than 40 goals in the Championship is not really a ‘Championship level striker’. Strikers are not meant to score 40 league goals.

The Irish Connection

Good player. Him or Sesko, Ziyech and De Jong would be good but disappointing that they aren’t here already and most likely won’t be for another couple weeks at best.

Mainoldo

Good player. Him or Sesko, Ziyech and De Jong would be good but disappointing that they aren’t here already and most likely won’t be for another couple weeks at best.
Good window that. The forward line Would be covered for the same price it would cost for just Antony.

SirScholes

He does realise there are other options than Eredivisie or Dutch players out there.
Hope so but in desperate times he is going to go with what he knows I guess

I am worried about the drop in standard between the two leagues
Elanga would look impressive in the Dutch league
Rashford top scorer, the amount of space you get

We need an rvn

They’re all left wingers.
What ever happened to playing left footers on the left and right footed on the right

I get the whole cutting inside and shooting but sometimes pace down the wing and whipping in a cross works as well. If anything that would suit Ronaldo as he hasn’t lost any of his jumping or heading ability

Status
Not open for further replies.