Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Can't possibly be worse than Rashford has been for the last two years.

Even though they're not exactly world beaters, I guess both Gakpo and Rabiot are upgrades from the dross we're currently fielding in our starting XI.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He’s a better goalscorer. Antony is far better at the playmaking and buildup phase of things, and the stats prove that.

Two very different player profiles.
Dunno how they will develop in the future, but right now, I'd take Gakpo over Antony in a heartbeat. They are of course different players. Antony is more flashy and I'm sure his build up stats are very different to Gakpo's, but PSV and Ajax play very different types of football. Antony is not a better passer than Gakpo.

I do have to admit that I am very intensely, heavily, insanely biased against Antony. I'm not above that ;)

Our resident Ajacied can probably tell you why.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Looks a talent. Also helps that Ruud van Nistelrooy is the manager of PSV…should hopefully mean it’s not protracted affair.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
As the above Tweet mentions, if PSV don't qualify for the CL he will be jumping to join you. If they do overcome Monacy he honestly still might. He's been PSV's best player for a while now (maybe tied with Sangare) and is ready to move.

Actually quite surprised more clubs weren't interested in him, but I guess that's mostly because PSV have been crap in Europe lately.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
As the above Tweet mentions, if PSV don't qualify for the CL he will be jumping to join you. If they do overcome Monacy he honestly still might. He's been PSV's best player for a while now (maybe tied with Sangare) and is ready to move.

Actually quite surprised more clubs weren't interested in him, but I guess that's mostly because PSV have been crap in Europe lately.
Also read that Bailly to Monaco might happen if they qualify so we're all Monaco fans tonight :lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

Dunno how they will develop in the future, but right now, I'd take Gakpo over Antony in a heartbeat. They are of course different players. Antony is more flashy and I'm sure his build up stats are very different to Gakpo's, but PSV and Ajax play very different types of football. Antony is not a better passer than Gakpo.

I do have to admit that I am very intensely, heavily, insanely biased against Antony. I'm not above that ;)

Our resident Ajacied can probably tell you why.
Surprised by his. Does this mean Gapko is also a good passer or Antony isn't all that passing wise

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How is his eye for a pass and decision making?

Can do without replacing Rashford with a new 'cut inside and twat it' merchant.

Chief123

Not saying you should buy him, but this dude is better than Antony and has the stats to prove it. He's also not a massive cnut.
In that case we are absolutely not interested. We are in the market for cnuts please. Step forward Rabiot, Arnautovic and Antony.

cyberman

Seems we are going after 3/4 players after having FDJ funds freed up
Isn’t this what we wanted this summer?

Chief123

I wonder if this interest has been accelerated with the weekend showing of Rashford confirming he’s still pretty shit.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Surprised by his. Does this mean Gapko is also a good passer or Antony isn't all that passing wise
Gakpo is a very good passer, yes. Antony is far more exciting to watch, he's the typical brazilian flashy winger who humiliates his direct opponent with rainbowflicks and attempts the back hell pass through someone legs. He's also more an individual game decider than Gakpo who is a bit more conservative in his approach of the game for lack of a better word.

If they cost the same Antony is probably a more interesting prospect since I expect his ceiling to be higher, though he wouldn't be the first exciting Brazilian attacker to fall off. As it stands though,. Gakpo is relatively cheap.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Antony is a cnut? Ooh you support Feyenoord ok
Don't take my word for it, PSV fans also think he's a cnut!

Seriously though, he is a diver and a bit of a cheat. And he has a very punchable face. And he plays for Ajax.

Putting all banter aside

Miles clear from Anthony, my Dutch mates are telling me. Probably because we're late in summer and PSV still fighting for a CL spot I doubt whether it's going to happen, but this gives me better vibes than all those tear jearking rumours I've seen around lately.

Putting all banter aside

Antony is a cnut? Ooh you support Feyenoord ok
I've got family and friends living in the Netherlands, both Feyenoord and Ajax, and they all agree on the fact that Anthony is heavily overrated. I don't follow the Eredivisie too much, but they do and they do rate Gakpo, although none of them supports PSV. Quite telling if you ask me.

Loony BoB

Gakpo is a very good passer, yes. Antony is far more exciting to watch, he's the typical brazilian flashy winger who humiliates his direct opponent with rainbowflicks and attempts the back hell pass through someone legs. He's also more an individual game decider than Gakpo who is a bit more conservative in his approach of the game for lack of a better word.

If they cost the same Antony is probably a more interesting prospect since I expect his ceiling to be higher, though he wouldn't be the first exciting Brazilian attacker to fall off. As it stands though,. Gakpo is relatively cheap.
The main thing that makes me prefer Antony is that he plays on the right. We have so many people capable of playing on the left. Not a bad thing to sign Gakpo and release someone else, for sure, but I do worry about our right flank being ignored at present. I wonder who would shift over there if Sancho is injured or out of form.

For the price touted, Gakpo looks worth it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
PSV value Gakpo at £35m according to Rob Dawson and they want nothing less.
I’d be very happy with that.

I think this has been the hold up on any major negotiations and also the World Cup.

Gakpo isn’t just a goal threat he’s a good passer and crosser he just plays in a worse side than Ajax

Highfather_24

Sancho, Gakpo, Rashford and Elanga/Garnacho are decent options to have. Wish we go for a proper CF and not Arnautovic.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Seems we are going after 3/4 players after having FDJ funds freed up
Isn’t this what we wanted this summer?
At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up with FDJ too.

Going to be an interesting few weeks with outgoings and incomings

Thisistheone

Linked all summer with a right sided forward (Antony) but suddenly after a left sided one? Maybe ten Hag has given up on Rashford then?

Crimson King

Only one of them isn’t totally useless on the right.
Maybe he'll keep Amad or Pellestri around to help cover the right?

Not ideal by any stretch, but at least they might slowly develop in the role over the course of the season...

Realise I'm clutching, but Amad definitely has a lot of technical talent to work with.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’d be very happy with that.

I think this has been the hold up on any major negotiations and also the World Cup.

Gakpo isn’t just a goal threat he’s a good passer and crosser he just plays in a worse side than Ajax
I just hope we get him because he look like he could develop into a very good player.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax

That must be the reason. However he didn't so himself any favors last week in that regard. Gakpo looked really poor in the first match against Monaco. These are the kind of games where he has to show himself. Maybe tonight.

Certainly an interesting player for United, who can't get true gems right now. I don't see Gakpo as a true gem, I'll be happy (for Dutch football) if he becomes better than Bergwijn and Depay. His clinical finishing and crossing do seem at a higher level, which might just take him to a slightly higher level than Depay/Bergwijn. Let's hope so. From that respect I do rate Antony higher. I honestly belief Antony's ceiling could be the absolute top. I don't believe that for Gakpo. Nevertheless there's no guarantees. Many players have not reached their full potential and Gakpo at around €45m, which is what I think would be PSVs price, is a better deal than Antony at €80m at this point in time.

cyberman

It’s just a regular summer of panic buying by Utd. This is how we roll.
Or we are just going with the panic buy narrative so we can carry on being hysterical? The story came out last week that we had deals on the back burner in case FDJ fell through.
Fans only want clever signings until they aren’t a 100m wonder kid .

AjaxNL

I've got family and friends living in the Netherlands, both Feyenoord and Ajax, and they all agree on the fact that Anthony is heavily overrated. I don't follow the Eredivisie too much, but they do and they do rate Gakpo, although none of them supports PSV. Quite telling if you ask me.
I agree 100% with this.Earlier this summer, when the Antony to United move seemed likely, there was some insane overrating of Antony on here. As if he was some massive talent. He is not. He is a very fun player to watch on his day, but is massively inconsistent.I posted earlier this summer that in my opinion, he is not and never will be PL top-6 team starting material.

Gakpo is miles better, although Depay and Bergwijn flopping in the PL after tearing up the Eredivisie has made me wary of expecting too much of Gakpo.

Status
Not open for further replies.