Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Why does everyone write everyone off?

I swear if this lad was linked with City people would complain that we aren't getting hidden gems in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The flop vibes are heavy with this one. I watch him and he looks like Rashford 2.0 only not as good which scares the hell out of me.

All the dutch fans saying he's not good as a CF confirm that this will be a total waste of a transfer.
That could be an issue. His close control etc seems a bit limited tbh. More Rashford than Martial in that regard.

El Jefe

That could be an issue. His close control etc seems a bit limited tbh. More Rashford than Martial in that regard.
Exactly and I'm sorry to say but the last thing our attack needs is another Rashford type player. Gakpo couldn't get past his marker in both ties, I know people say its only two games but when the two games have that much on the line I think its fair to draw at least some judgement from that.

If we are to be a possession team its vital we have players that are extremely comfortable in tight spaces, especially out wide. We of course need additional pace but we need more players like Sancho and Martial rather than Rashford types.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
How's his movement / aerial prowess in the final third? I saw him score one lovely header but not sure how much potential he has in this regard.
From what I've seen, he has good off the ball movement. Always seems to find spaces for himself to run into. As for his aerial ability, that's an area I think he needs to work on. A player of his size should be winning and scoring a lot more headers.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

I swear if this lad was linked with City people would complain that we aren't getting hidden gems in.
Because the club can't do anything right in some peoples eyes.

Bondi77

Ten Hag would have seen a lot of this guy so surely we have to back his judgement otherwise what was the point in giving him the gig.

Thiagoal

This transfer doesn’t make sense. Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Garnacho are all able to play left. Would make far more sense to target a left footed right attacker or a striker

cyberman

It’s either a superstar needed or a wonder kid.
Smart signings from the manager who sees potential as in how his attributes fit into the side are to be derided and laughed at.
I honestly believe we would be a lot more accepting of these moves if the De Jong speculation never happened but that muppets nonsense is strong in our fanbase and really needs to be lessened.

cyberman

This transfer doesn’t make sense. Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Garnacho are all able to play left. Would make far more sense to target a left footed right attacker or a striker
We have no cover in the right and light down the middle. 2 of your left wing alternatives brings players out from other positions that just shifts the problem over to there in case of a LW injury.

Drz

Finally watched a highlight reel of the lad, doesn´t he look very similar to Sesco who signed for RB?

amolbhatia50k

Exactly and I'm sorry to say but the last thing our attack needs is another Rashford type player. Gakpo couldn't get past his marker in both ties, I know people say its only two games but when the two games have that much on the line I think its fair to draw at least some judgement from that.

If we are to be a possession team its vital we have players that are extremely comfortable in tight spaces, especially out wide. We of course need additional pace but we need more players like Sancho and Martial rather than Rashford types.
Maybe ges got potential as a 9 though. He has a big frame.

Chairman Woodie

I agree with you.

I would prefer a striker. United can't rely almost entirely on Ronaldo like last season.

DutchDemon8

Supports
PSV
I've probably watched every professional game Gakpo has played and as much as I like him, I don't think he's a great fit here.

He's without any doubt the best and most complete player in the eredivisie right now. He is very calm and collected in front of goal. He can finish with both his left and his right. He's physically strong and can hold a ball. He has a great whipping cross.
However he is at his best when he has a little space or a second to consider his options. In tight spaces he isn't the best creator. I think his long term future will be as a CF but he's hardly ever played there, I can't recall a single match where he did. I think that of he goes to United now he will flop. As long as there's no creative midfielder to send him deep he won't reach those 15+ goals that make him so good. In the prem he won't have the time he needs for his crosses. He needs an intermediate step, like most eredivisie players when going to the prem.
Also I really want him to stay at PSV for this season but that's unrelated to my analysis. Minor conflict of interest that I dod have to mention, although I love PSV players going to United.

amolbhatia50k

That is why I asked if he reminded anyone of the n·9 we were linked with at RB.
My basis is nothing but clips but Sesko looked much more exciting. Either way we can only hope he's really good if we sign him

Drz

My basis is nothing but clips but Sesko looked much more exciting. Either way we can only hope he's really good if we sign him
Unfortunately could only compare highlight reels too, from what I saw different starting positions, similar drive, both have quick feet and technically sound.
Anyone watched him for an entire game? Or ideally in a competitive fixure? Care to share?

Chief123

He does seem to have a venomous shot which none of our existing forwards have. Even Ronaldo has lost his ability to strike a ball cleanly from distance.

I’m also not convinced by the argument that we are stacked on the left hand side so why do we need another LW? Are we though? Rashford is our first choice LW and he’s been terrible for far too long now. Having numbers in that position doesn’t mean we have the solution.

Jacob

As I've insisted before, this is the level of player we can attract right now. Marginally better than what we have, a slow progress towards a more attractive player environment.

Acole9

Outstanding
Mane wasn’t as good as he became for Liverpool when he played for Southampton and a lot on here weren’t all that fussed when we missed out on him!
Exactly, I rated him at Southampton and remember when many on here were dismissive of him. To be fair though I didn't think he'd turn out to be a top player.

I tend to take what people say on here about players with a pinch of salt. I remember loads of posters wanting us to sign Kabak and he was shite at Liverpool and at Norwich too.

Gupz

Gakpo is a nice player, but I would rate his potential the same as Depay, Bergwijn and Malen. Just not good enough.

tob

This.
Why are we after this guy, who looks to play like Rashford? We need other options, i.e. a left-footed attacker. We were after Antony, but that can't happen for some reason, so why not then go for another left-footed attacker?
Maybe they'll go back for Antony next summer, but either way, it would've been nice to have another option to play on that left hand side this season.

I would take Ziyech from Chelsea. If that's possible.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I've probably watched every professional game Gakpo has played and as much as I like him, I don't think he's a great fit here.

He's without any doubt the best and most complete player in the eredivisie right now. He is very calm and collected in front of goal. He can finish with both his left and his right. He's physically strong and can hold a ball. He has a great whipping cross.
However he is at his best when he has a little space or a second to consider his options. In tight spaces he isn't the best creator. I think his long term future will be as a CF but he's hardly ever played there, I can't recall a single match where he did. I think that of he goes to United now he will flop. As long as there's no creative midfielder to send him deep he won't reach those 15+ goals that make him so good. In the prem he won't have the time he needs for his crosses. He needs an intermediate step, like most eredivisie players when going to the prem.
Also I really want him to stay at PSV for this season but that's unrelated to my analysis. Minor conflict of interest that I dod have to mention, although I love PSV players going to United.
I think if he comes here, he will used a lot as a striker. The change in position could be Henry like. He has the physicality and the shot to be a problem up top. Just needs to work on his hold up play.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I tend to take what people say on here about players with a pinch of salt. I remember loads of posters wanting us to sign Kabak and he was shite at Liverpool and at Norwich too.
Well agreed, the general consensus is that the majority of all players are shite, until they become World beaters elsewhere... :rolleyes:

Reyoji-Utd

I dont think well have any players at this rate because after the defeat all the players we linked with are not well receptive from our fans.

kirk buttercup

I haven't seen a whole lot of him , Listening to some on here that watch him week in week out it seems like we should be taking a chance . those who know and watch on a regular basis say he is very good I wouldn't just judge him on last night . He wont be going straight into the first team and I get the impression he will be used as a striker more than a Left winger. We are we are right now , We are not going to attract already made superstars by the looks of it so we need to take a chance on players like him . As for Rabiot maybe ETH has a plan how to get the best out of him too . This needs time to balance with what we have and realistically what we can actually sign . Its sad that we have ended up where we are but we need to rebuild and its long road ahead.

Rake

Watched the game last night just because of him and I really don't see what the fuss is about. He seems a decent player but nothing more. I'd rather we played Garnacho to be honest.

redsunited

Seems we will end up this transfer window with 4 LB and 4 LW, while no good RB/RW to start.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
because rashford has looked like shit and that’s looking unlikely to change.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
"great against Monaco last night in the Champions League"

...Marcel, please.
So much for his credibility among anyone who actually saw last night's game :nervous:

I'd sti be excited if you sign Gakpo though, I think he could be a star. Though he could also be a dud. Hard to say really.

Infra-red

Snubbed by PSV and Ajax players.
United are a risky proposition these days. Not a good club to go to if you want to improve your game or enhance your reputation. Not a great place to be if you like playing in the Champions League, either. We pay crazy money in wages, but that isn't always enough, especially for younger players.

Mingus

Says he'll stay at PSV if they beat Rangers and qualify for the CL.
I watched the whole interview on Sky and he said that PSV will wait until CL is settled and potentially get both 40m for being in the group stage and 40m for the sale of Gakpo.

Status
Not open for further replies.