Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
Was expected.

looking at him in the last games he featured it only made sense if he can transition to CF.

his game is too raw to do that at the highest level and we should look for other alternatives.

RedDevilRoshi

Yeah ETH hasn't really given many of the youngsters much of a go this season. You'd thought that Iqbal or Garnacho would have had more time on the pitch.
Both will play in the league cup and EL games I’d imagine. Particularly the games in Moldova & Cyprus.

JustinC00

Well if he was making a case for United to come and get him, he did it today

1 goal, 2 assists. 7 shots, 3 on-target. RVN subbed him off at 60' because they were up 5-0

FujiVice

Seems clear as day Ten Hag wants the pair of them. Been that way for weeks now.

DevilRed

If Ronaldo leaves, I can see us getting him in for depth.

Not so convinced about him though. Will need to prove himself.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
A goal and two assists today.
Ranges from quiet to total shit in the CL qualifiers against half decent teams and then pads his stats against Excelsior Rotterdam. I get the impression that's just the level of player he is for now.

Rolaholic

Conflicting reports today

He also seems to think there's still a chance

Can see this getting done if Ronaldo gets his wish

Varane around town

I think this will happen.

Probably not this window but if/when Ronaldo leaves we’ll be in for him, Ten Hag obviously rates him.

V.O.

But he didn’t play well against Rangers so of course he’s terrible :rolleyes:
Yes mate. He got a couple of goal contributions against a pub side who conceded 6 from about 30 shots, so him looking shit in the Champions League against actual football teams doesn't count.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yes mate. He got a couple of goal contributions against a pub side who conceded 6 from about 30 shots, so him looking shit in the Champions League against actual football teams doesn't count.
And 2 seasons of stand out performances and national team appearances whilst winning the player of the season award?

Im not saying Gakpo is world class but the disrespect shown over 2 games has been astounding.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'd be very surprised if we continue to do big-ish moves once the Antony deal goes through.

Strange window but very exciting.

captaincantona

Really…your are choosing this game to try call out the armchair scouts?

Excelsior finished 6th in the Dutch second division last season…you would expect a supposed €50million player to rip them a new one. Also, it wasn’t just one fixture against Rangers…He has never played well in Europe by all accounts.

Think he has been judged pretty fairly thus far.

V.O.

And 2 seasons of stand out performances and national team appearances whilst winning the player of the season award?

Im not saying Gakpo is world class but the disrespect shown over 2 games has been astounding.
He was much worse against Monaco. It's not that anybody's saying he could never be a very good player, but to be Man Utd level, he'd have to have shown something more than he has in European games against better opposition, because that's the closest we can get to seeing him against PL sides.

Martinez and Antony have put in huge performances against teams like Dortmund, Sporting, Benfica etc, they're not being signed purely based on what they've shown in the Eredivisie. Gakpo hasn't taken the same opportunities against the same quality of opposition when he's had them.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Really…your are choosing this game to try call out the armchair scouts?

Excelsior finished 6th in the Dutch second division last season…you would expect a supposed €50million player to rip them a new one. Also, it wasn’t just one fixture against Rangers…He has never played well in Europe by all accounts.

Think he has been judged pretty fairly thus far.
He has played well in Europe. Also one player in a relatively average side can’t do it alone. I say this as a AZ/United fan.

Gakpo carried PSV last season and is doing the same this one however at higher levels a functional side is better than the individual. Ajax are a far more functional side and better than PSV.
He was much worse against Monaco. It's not that anybody's saying he could never be a very good player, but to be Man Utd level, he'd have to have shown something more than he has in European games against better opposition, because that's the closest we can get to seeing him against PL sides.

Martinez and Antony have put in huge performances against teams like Dortmund, Sporting, Benfica etc, they're not being signed purely based on what they've shown in the Eredivisie. Gakpo hasn't taken the same opportunities against the same quality of opposition when he's had them.
I can all but guarantee Gakpo will have another outstanding season in Eredivise be a part of the national team set up. From there he could quite conceivably double or triple his transfer fee.

I really think people are placing too much emphasis on these few games and not looking at the overall profile of the player which is a huge mistake.

Woziak

He wont get that form back because it needed a level of agility and athleticism that he just doesnt have any more.
He’s 24 not 34, he needs to concentrate on solely football and find his form I think Rashford needs a manager that believes in him and I think ETH might just be that man

Stadjer

Who fits Utd better out of him and Memphis
Memphis based on the fact that Memphis is a much better player. When Memphis left PSV he was a better player than Gakpo is right now too. Bergwijn was better when he left PSV too. Gakpo needs to go to a midtable club and not make the step to a team that wants to play in the CL.

izec

Gakpo would cost quite a bit and plays LW currently, dont understand the obsession with him. Memphis is available for 10m and is a striker. I mean, Gakpo may be more unknown and exciting in that sense, but Memphis would be more fitting i feel.

croadyman

Gakpo would cost quite a bit and plays LW currently, dont understand the obsession with him. Memphis is available for 10m and is a striker. I mean, Gakpo may be more unknown and exciting in that sense, but Memphis would be more fitting i feel.
Yeah plus he already knows this club

If so, he is going down the same path as LVG at Barca ~20 years ago. That didn't end well.
Possibly.

Or possibly, ETH saw the mediocre/limited/overpriced options that our scouting team suggested and went for what he knew.

If it’s the later, then I cannot blame him.

Last edited:

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
He didn't play well against Rangers, he was plain awful against Monaco, he didn't show much against Leicester.

Everytime he's up against international opposition he shows he's not ready. He can't handle the intensity, close marking and physical opposition. I was really hoping this guy was ready for it, as the NT can use a quality attacking player. However Gakpo has clearly shown that at this point he really isn't ready. I hoped he would become a better version of Memphis and Bergwijn. Reality is however that he's older than they were when they left and his international performances are not really encouraging.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
He didn't play well against Rangers, he was plain awful against Monaco, he didn't show much against Leicester.

Everytime he's up against international opposition he shows he's not ready. He can't handle the intensity, close marking and physical opposition. I was really hoping this guy was ready for it, as the NT can use a quality attacking player. However Gakpo has clearly shown that at this point he really isn't ready. I hoped he would become a better version of Memphis and Bergwijn. Reality is however that he's older than they were when they left and his international performances are not really encouraging.
Except for the national team where he’s been fantastic when called upon.

If he doesn’t move this window give him one more year of development and he’ll be at another top club soon enough.

And to add to this nobody has considered that Gakpo being the main threat for PSV in all of those matches got a bit of special treatment from the opposing team.

Go back and watch the position of the respective RBs relative to a normal game. Gakpo was targeted for man marking where normally in a better side with more options this wouldn’t be the case.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Except for the national team where he’s been fantastic when called upon.

If he doesn’t move this window give him one more year of development and he’ll be at another top club soon enough.

And to add to this nobody has considered that Gakpo being the main threat for PSV in all of those matches got a bit of special treatment from the opposing team.

Go back and watch the position of the respective RBs relative to a normal game. Gakpo was targeted for man marking where normally in a better side with more options this wouldn’t be the case.
Fantastic? You're in some kind of exaggeration mode. He's done well against Wales the last time around, which is one match and Wales played their reserves cause they rested their best players because they played WC play-offs. In other words, that Wales team wasn't bettet than an average Eredivisie team. In other matches with NT Gakpo didn't do particularly good or bad. 'Fantastic' is really overstating it. I'd say he's been decent at best.

I don't agree with your analyses/conclusion. If he can't handle being targeted, he's not ready for a big league. Quite honestly, if Memphis wasn't ready, Bergwijn wasn't ready and we take Gakpo's very underwhelming performances in European games into account, there's absolutely no reason to believe he is ready for a move. For his WC chances he shouldn't even want it himself. I'm not sure if Gakpo will move to a topclub anytime soon, I highly doubt it to be honest. Right now he's not ready anyway, but who knows what can happen in a year. I still like his end product and that gives him potential, but I can't get past the fact that his European performances have been very underwhelming and those are a better measure than ED games.

Idxomer

I had Southampton in mind when I suggested he would be a good striker for a mid or lower table PL team.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Thing is, he’ll go to Southampton, score a boat load of goals and then the CAF would bitch and moan as to why we didn’t sign him

Status
Not open for further replies.