Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.

footballbite

Or maybe people want him because our manager wants him and every player our manager has signed so far, has improved the team and squad? We have to back the manager.
Does the manager really want him though? He's a very attainable target if ten Hag does - so if Utd don't end up signing him one can only assume he's not a high priority.

I wonder how much of people saying ten Hag wants him is just them guessing because he's from the Eredivisie and Utd need a striker?!

Hal9000

Does the manager really want him though? He's a very attainable target if ten Hag does - so if Utd don't end up signing him one can only assume he's not a high priority.

I wonder how much of people saying ten Hag wants him is just them guessing because he's from the Eredivisie and Utd need a striker?!
Not to forget that ETH and Gapko share the same management agency.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Well we know from Gakpo himself that he was close to moving to us in the summer having spoken repeatedly with Ten Hag. And the Athletic backed that by reporting we had terms agreed with him.

So the only reason to really believe ETH wouldn't be interested in him is if you think we were only interested in Gakpo as an alternative to Antony in attack.

Erik the Red

Well we know from Gakpo himself that he was close to moving to us in the summer having spoken repeatedly with Ten Hag. And the Athletic backed that by reporting we had terms agreed with him.

So the only reason to really believe ETH wouldn't be interested in him is if you think we were only interested in Gakpo as an alternative to Antony in attack.
Or if we could get someone else in like Mbappe. That would probably blow any Gakpo transfer out of the water, and if the Apple rumours are true, you never know...

Personally, I would prefer Gakpo to Depay if it came down to those two as a January stop-gap transfer, so long as it doesn't stop us going for a proper number 9 in the Summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Or if we could get someone else in like Mbappe. That would probably blow any Gakpo transfer out of the water, and if the Apple rumours are true, you never know...

Personally, I would prefer Gakpo to Depay if it came down to those two as a January stop-gap transfer, so long as it doesn't stop us going for a proper number 9 in the Summer.
Yep. I'd only want Gakpo if the plan is to sign a first choice #9 in the summer.

At which point the question becomes whether we want Gakpo beyond that? We're already well stocked in players whose nominal best position is LW, so you'd think we'd either need to develop him in other roles or have little faith in someone like Sancho developing in that position. Otherwise we're further emphasising an imbalance in the squad.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Tier nonsense.
I love how no one believes anything on this site & then the very second a journo repeats it for a different team, all hell breaks loose and we start calling the club shite. No matter how believable they are. :lol: :lol:

Erik the Red

Yep. I'd only want Gakpo if the plan is to sign a first choice #9 in the summer.

At which point the question becomes whether we want Gakpo beyond that? We're already well stocked in players whose nominal best position is LW, so you'd think we'd either need to develop him in other roles or have little faith in someone like Sancho developing in that position. Otherwise we're further emphasising an imbalance in the squad.
In the Summer, I would like to go for someone like Sesko, who I think will offer a lot of what ETH is looking for in a striker: target man, good hold up play, link man, technical ability, pressing, goals. Someone like Osimhen excels in some areas, but looks to have a suspect first touch. Most other options look quite limited. Then Gakpo could either play off Sesko in a front 2, where I think he would do really well, but that only works if the two midfield players can cope against three opponents. Gakpo could be developed as an Henry type striker to alternate with Sesko, and we can tactically switch between them depending on form, opponent, etc., and throw on the other one when chasing a game.

Would love Mbappe to come in as that second striker, but only really possible if we get bought out... Moukoko is free and looks like a real player, but I think we will have to limit strikers to Sesko plus one of Mbappe, Gakpo or Moukoko. We would then have these two, plus Martial and McNeil to choose from.

On the LW, we already have Sancho, Rashford and Garnacho, who I think looks like the real deal. He reminds me a lot of when Ronaldo first started at United, but without the step-overs and with a better end product. Some have suggested that Sancho may be better suited to a number 10 role, and I do think he is a talented player that is just lacking confidence at the moment.

On the right wing we have Antony. I don't rate Amad or Elanga, and am interested to see how Pellistri does at the WC. Greenwood doesn't have his trial for another year, and he will have not played for two years at that point. Therefore I can't see him ever being a first team player for us again. Sancho seemed to do a reasonable job there on the right last season, and if it is just for cover, I can live with it for the time being.

footballbite

Or if the emergence of Garnacho on Gakpo's favored left-hand side has made him less necessary.

Plus exploring him as a possible signing doesn't mean that he was ever a priority - perhaps they were just sounding out a potential move and what it would cost alongside enquiries for other forwards they favoured.

poleglass red

if we had an endless pile of cash, I'd say get him, but we don't and we have way more pressing areas we need to upgrade than his. Good player, wrong time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Price will go up with every other WC goal he scores probably.

Let's hope you will pay the same as you did for Antony :wenger:

Strootman's Finger

Back the manager by all means, but we shouldn't be limited to the list of players inside his head.
Martinez, Eriksen, Malacia were all his signings, and pretty good so far. Antony too, unfortunately his price tag makes it more difficult to say he's an instant success, but promising signs.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Price will go up with every other WC goal he scores probably.

Let's hope you will pay the same as you did for Antony :wenger:
Wouldn't you rather want PSV to lose their key player for peanuts?

Don't be so nice, it's unbecoming.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Wouldn't you rather want PSV to lose their key player for peanuts?

Don't be so nice, it's unbecoming.
Nah not at all. I quite like PSV, they don't act like they invented football. And they're not from that shitpile city we have for a capital.

Chief123

Back the manager by all means, but we shouldn't be limited to the list of players inside his head.
I’d rather we buy all the players in his head than the players we’ve been buying in other peoples heads!

If ETH wanted to bring back Ighalo and Fellani, I’d fully back him!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nah not at all. I quite like PSV, they don't act like they invented football. And they're not from that shitpile city we have for a capital.
Ah well, fair enough then!

PSV are just too likeable. :D

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we sign him in Jan, it has to be because ETH thinks he can play up front?

Chief123

Why though? It should be a lot more detailed than that.
I’m sure ETH’s plans and player targeting is incredibly detailed. He’s a very meticulous planner and obsessed with the smallest detail. Check out some of the videos about his background.

He would have analysed everything he needs to before identifying a player. His current recruitments aren’t doing too bad so far.

Chief123

If we sign him in Jan, it has to be because ETH thinks he can play up front?
Yep I’d imagine ETH will play him in a similar role to how we use Rashford as striker. Not just playing on the shoulder but getting involved in the build up to create a fluid front 3 that can all interchange.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Let's see how he does as a 9 today! Mainly focused on hold up play/link up with his back to goal if he's capable of it, not so much if he scores a goal on the break or anything.

Shai-Hulud

I dunno about this guy... He seems decent but is he good enough to splurge on?

Status
Not open for further replies.