Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Our four treble-winning forwards.

Who do you think was
(a) the best player out of them?
(b) the best for us?
and
(c) the biggest United legend?

I'd have to go (a) Sheringham, (b) Cole and (c) Solskjaer. Feel bad leaving Yorkie out of these accolades, especially since he probably had the best season for us out of any of them in 98/99.

Unmutual

Yorke burned brightest in 99, but Ole was the only proper legend amongst them.

Ixion

Yorke had the highest peak in 99 but Cole was the best player overall at United and in their careers. Solskjaer will always be the biggest legend.

devil in me

Best player in my opinion was Yorke. Probably a bit under rated too. Technically, he was the best out of those 4.
Best for us, torn between Cole and Solskjaer, for different reasons. Coles record for us is hard to ignore.
Legend - Solskjaer, no doubt!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yorke was the best at his peak, Solskjaer was probably better over his United career but Yorke and Cole together were brilliant to watch.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yorke had the highest peak in 99 but Cole was the best player overall at United and in their careers. Solskjaer will always be the biggest legend.
Yeah. Think that is spot on!

Loved Andy Cole though. Take away penalties and he had a better goals per games ratio than Shearer!

M Bison

Supports
York City
Great thread!

Loved Yorke but he didn't seem to last long and agree with most that Ole was probably only the true legend amongst them, which is strange as at a guess (haven't checked and could be wrong) he had the least game time.

Sheringham was a class act and cole best for us so would agree with OP.

Nick7

I would go a) Yorke b) Cole c) Solskjaer. God I miss Solskjaer, what a man.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Cole was a very good footballer... Which shows in how many assists he managed to rack up with us. So I'd say

A) Cole
B) Cole
C) Ole

Acole9

Outstanding
Good thread, they were all important for the club really.

Rather than sit on the fence though I'm gonna have to say A) Yorke B) Cole and C) Solskjaer definitely for the legend.

witchtrials

Not really sure I have a good answer to those questions (partly just because it's so long ago now that it's hard to remember with any accuracy). I'll stick to saying that when the team was named I was always hoping to see Yorke and Cole together. It was brilliant to be able to call upon the greater craft of Sheringham, and obviously fantastic to be able to bring on Solskjær (who, legend though he is, was probably the lesser player of the quarter) but when the Yorke and Cole partnership was working we were wonderfully dynamic.

I'm going to take excuse to post this goal, which probably remains my favourite United goal to this day:

2cents

Scout
Not much love for Teddy here I see. Understandable in a way, he was definitely the least likeable out of them. I remember he turned a lot of people off in the second half of 97/98 when he seemed to have the World Cup on his mind and Arsenal overtook us for the league. But bounced back big time in the second half of the following season, and only got better for us from there.

Anyway, we really were spoiled back then, you could play any combination of two out of those four and suffer very little drop in quality.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Mostly agree with this but at the same time, Yorke was so pivotal in the treble, the greatest achievement in English football history, that maybe that earns him the accolade of best United player over the other two. Longevity counts for a lot and the other two beat him with ease there but that that achievement is so incredible you have to give it a huge weighting factor.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Mostly agree with this but at the same time, Yorke was so pivotal in the treble, the greatest achievement in English football history, that maybe that earns him the accolade of best United player over the other two. Longevity counts for a lot and the other two beat him with ease there but that that achievement is so incredible you have to give it a huge weighting factor.
He was incredible because of Cole in part though (and vice versa) Their goal tallys for that season are similar, and Cole arguably scored the more important goals. Yorke's amount of assists was phenomenal though (tied with Beckham) and he was the better of the two that year, but I think it's very fair to put Coley ahead all in all.

I'd buck the trend and say Sheringham was possibly the best player of the 4, naturally? Though his best years weren't with us (even though strangely his best season was) b and c are almost certainly Cole & Soskjaer.

Last edited:

Ixion

Yorke was something else in 99, on another level.

One funny thing in that season though was how Cole got the goal to win the league, Teddy got the Cup Final goal and the CL equaliser and Ole got that winner. Yorke was untouchable but the other three got their moments. I'm not sure if Yorke got that defining goal, maybe the two against Inter or the hat-trick v Arsenal.

2cents

Scout
Yorke was something else in 99, on another level.

One funny thing in that season though was how Cole got the goal to win the league, Teddy got the Cup Final goal and the CL equaliser and Ole got that winner. Yorke was untouchable but the other three got their moments. I'm not sure if Yorke got that defining goal, maybe the two against Inter or the hat-trick v Arsenal.
I always loved the chip over De Goey during the cup replay at Stamford Bridge that year. He also got the equalizer against Liverpool didn't he? But yeah you're right, he might be missing a particular iconic moment.

Amir

Yorke, the way he played in 98/99, was unbelievable. Goals, assists, clever runs and passes. He had more in his locker than the other three. Shame it didn't last long.

He didn't get his big moment in the three decisive games, but the winner at Boro just before them was good enough. Along with 28 others goals and I think something like 20 assists, similar to Beckham. Which are huge numbers.

His hat trick against Arsenal two years later, when he was already past his peak with us, was probably his stand out moment.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
From a non-United fans point of view I would assume the following to be the most popular answer...

A -Cole
B - Cole
C - Solskjaer

Yorke was not far off of Cole. Sheringham 4th A, B and C.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
best player - Cole was good with his feet, quick and a clever player, more than just goals.

best for us - Toss up between Cole and Yorke.
Yorke in the treble season was one of the best players in the league, having Beckham supply crosses to him doesn't hurt either. Shame his later days went a bit sour.
Cole's goal records speaks for itself. Definitely one of Fergie's best transfers

biggest United legend - probably Solskjaer as he's a fan favourite, always praising the club, that goal against Bayern Munich, great finisher, didn't kick up a fuss about being a sub.

All four worked together well and played vital parts in each other progress though.

zeekey

Not much love for Teddy here I see. Understandable in a way, he was definitely the least likeable out of them. I remember he turned a lot of people off in the second half of 97/98 when he seemed to have the World Cup on his mind and Arsenal overtook us for the league. But bounced back big time in the second half of the following season, and only got better for us from there.

Anyway, we really were spoiled back then, you could play any combination of two out of those four and suffer very little drop in quality.
People talk of Fellaini getting booed. Teddy was getting booed in that first season.

Nanotron

Unbelievable front four thinking back. Perfect blend of strikers. Up there with fergies fledglings as Fergie masterstokes for me.
Cole was always a favourite of mine along with teddy over the other two.

Sheringham was for me the most talented but Cole was my favourite. Ole is for sure the club legend.

Shinehead Dred

Imo Yorke was the best player amongst them. Whilst always a quality player I was surprised when we went for him. Yet another Ferguson masterstroke. Cole and Yorke will probably be one of the best striking partnerships ever to grace the Prem. They were a joy to watch.

Cole is the player who I feel contributed the most to the cause, whilst Ole's loyalty makes him a close second.

Legends. Probably Cole and Ole, but all four deserve a piece of the pie for being part of that legendary 1999 team.

Bojan11

That's nonsense.

Andy Cole was a bigger legend than Solskjaer and a better player.

I think people still have it in for Cole because of that West Ham game. But forget that without Coles brilliant lob against Spurs on the final day there would be no treble.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Cole and Ole are both legends of RvN/Mark Hughes variety. Yorke and Teddy more the Kanchelskis/Lee Sharpe kind.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Solskjaer is phenomenally under rated in this thread. Brilliant talent and brilliant servant.

Gazza

In an interview a few years ago Scholes said Sheringham was the best striker he played with, based on his intelligence and being so deft with his touch using either foot. I remember a pass Sheringham played for Scholes against Sturm Graz I think, away, where Sheringham first time flicked the ball behind him with the back of his foot, and he'd somehow seen Scholes making a run diagonally behind him. It was such a beautiful touch and that's what I associate with him.

Yorke I remember as always taking on defenders and having his head up whenever he was running his players. He scored a hat trick vs Arsenal but I more remember the way he took the ball past Stepanovs oh the left wing before he set up the goal for Keane. He made everyone around him more effective with the way he played. He built relationships with Cole, Keane and Beckham so quickly.

Cole was much better than people seemed to say at the time. Growing up I remember him getting more criticism than praise, maybe based on his first season and a half for the club. But I thought it was crazy England didn't take him to France 98, he was brilliant that season, especially Autumn 1997. England had some great strikers in his generation though. Cole scored some beautiful goals too, long-range chips and overhead kicks, and scored a lot of goals for us in Europe.

Solskjaer obviously a legend and such a great player for the club. 1.5 million pounds was it? So many memories - probably the one out of the 4 who carries the fondest memories for United fans, I can think of so many - and that period when he played RW was a period when we played brilliant football. And still loves the club I think.

(a) Yorke - hit the highest levels. Sheringham close behind.
(b) Hard to choose between Yorke, Cole and Solskjaer. Solskjaer and Cole have longevity but without Yorke we probably wouldn't have won the Treble
and
(c) Solskjaer