Colin Bell has passed away

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City

Imagine a fair few of you saw him play. Sad news.

Tribec

A fantastic player in the day, and a really nice guy. We lost the Doc last week of whom my dad did a few jobs for, my dad did a few jobs for Colin as well over the years. Often got derby tickets from him, more often than not in the Kippax, but grateful for them none the less. Knew his son briefly as well, who's now a leading surgeon, so whilst Bell was a blue, it's a sad loss this one for this red.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Football community continues to lose good ones.

RIP

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
RIP Bell. Superb player

Was nicknamed Nijinsky by Joe Mercer. Not after the dancer but the thoroughbred champion racehorse. I absolutely loved this goal when I saw it on MOTD

FireballXL5

Remember watching him play for City when I was a kid. Great player. RIP

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
He was the complete player and such a humble man... very sad.

padr81

Supports
Man City
A little too young to have seen him play but from the many of our supporters of that age (my mum included) he wouldn't have been out of place in our 100 point team. Rest In Peace.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
A little too young to have seen him play but from the many of our supporters of that age (my mum included) he wouldn't have been out of place in our 100 point team. Rest In Peace.
Would have been first name on teamsheet.
Could do it all.
Probably the best comparison to a United player for those who never saw him play would be Bryan Robson.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Man. City had some fantastic players in the 70s.

Him and Franny Lee hated each other didn't they? Would sit on the same row watching matches and would barely say a word to each other apparently. Mike Summerbee tried to act as peacemaker but couldn't get them to make up.

redmanx

Along with Mike Summerbee I would have loved to have seen United sign him after we won the European Cup. A great player and by all accounts a very nice man. He could really play.

Stig

I heard an interview on Radio Piccadilly about 1971 and they were saying what a humble bloke he was. There was nothing flashy about Colin Bell just a solid bloke who was excellent at football.

I guess if you are born in County Durham in the 1940's and started your career at Bury - you would be pretty grounded !

HaliRed

Very sad indeed. I never saw him play, but first heard his name while reading Colin Shindler's "Manchester United Ruined My Life" (fantastic read for a United fan btw, even if it is written by a City fan).

From what I understand, Bell was truly revered by the Citizens.

RIP, Mr. Bell.

Inigo Montoya

As reminiscent of the dancer as the horse in some of the clips I’ve seen.
Unfortunately back then dancers were considered poofs rather than the athletes they are today so it was preferable to be compared to a horse than a dancer!

Inigo Montoya

Next step is for ‘poofs’ also disappearing as a fence to hinder footballers expressing themselves fully.
Doubt it will change too soon though

I recall Brian Clough once asking the ill fated Justin Fashanu if he was a ‘poof’.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Colin Bell never blamed Martin Buchan for the tackle that basically finished his career...said he wasn't that type of player which was true. But he said that he was a little disappointed that Martin never visited him in hospital or said he was sorry for what happened.

surf

Great player for City and instrumental in their successful spell in the late 60's. His role for England was very limited in the earlier part of his career by virtue of playing the same position as Bobby Charlton. Really bad luck on Bell's part as he was arguably the second best English player at the time.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
My old office (in Dorset) had about ten little meeting rooms. They were all named after local areas "Sandbanks", "Southbourne", "Durdle Door", etc apart from one that was inexplicably named the "Colin Bell" room. Must've been a Man City fan who designed the building!

My dad (like most football fans old enough) says he was a great player. A life well led it seems!

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
reading this thread has brought a smile to my face. how you guys can put rivalry aside with such kind words. I guess this is why I visit this site regularly though I am not a Man Utd fan.
Top guys and girls you lot are.