College Football 2020/21

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not looking particularly promising so far....despite the recent changes in schedules.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I was hesitating to start this thread because I didn’t know if we’d need it. I think it’ll be a miracle if they get through even a reduced 10 game schedule done on time.

I think OU has the right idea with moving up the first game: give yourself as many bye weeks as possible before the cases pile up and you have to start delaying games.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I was hesitating to start this thread because I didn’t know if we’d need it. I think it’ll be a miracle if they get through even a reduced 10 game schedule done on time.

I think OU has the right idea with moving up the first game: give yourself as many bye weeks as possible before the cases pile up and you have to start delaying games.
I liked the idea of starting the season in Jan and playing reduced, conference only schedules. Surely the COVID situation will have stabilized by then.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I liked the idea of starting the season in Jan and playing reduced, conference only schedules. Surely the COVID situation will have stabilized by then.
That is the most likely scenario to successfully finishing a season, in my opinion. With some (maybe a lot) of luck you might even begin to fill up the stadiums well past 25% capacity, at least towards the business end of the season.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
College ball strikes me as far more difficult to have given the sheer amount of schools/students/staff involved - not to mention the logistics and the fact that athletes would be getting asked to potentially put themselves in harms way during a pandemic - for free.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

Foregone conclusion at this point.
I’m beginning to think some of the wild rumors are actually proposals that have been mooted. Like the SEC talking with the ACC and BigXII to cobble something together, which to be fair would include all the teams featuring regularly in the playoffs bar tOSU.

The thinking being, which is probably true, that it won’t be any better at the start of next year so you might as well try now instead of Spring football. The Big10 and PAC12 are almost for sure out.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’m beginning to think some of the wild rumors are actually proposals that have been mooted. Like the SEC talking with the ACC and BigXII to cobble something together, which to be fair would include all the teams featuring regularly in the playoffs bar tOSU.

The thinking being, which is probably true, that it won’t be any better at the start of next year so you might as well try now instead of Spring football. The Big10 and PAC12 are almost for sure out.
The way I see it, the more conferences that cancel the more conspicuous it looks for those who don't, which will eventually result in everyone cancelling.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Big10 is out, as expected. Interestingly, the deciding factor wasn’t just keeping them from COVID-19 itself but a heart condition they’re seeing accompanying it. So even if they survived, and they would be among the adults most likely to fight it successfully, it could still leave them with a dangerous heart condition that could pop up later while playing.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Official now. I guess they'd have to take into account the NFL's wishes too? Spring football would mean a later draft, OTAs, rookie camps, ...

Carolina Red

Staff

Official now. I guess they'd have to take into account the NFL's wishes too? Spring football would mean a later draft, OTAs, rookie camps, ...
PAC-12 has joined them now.

Looks like the ACC and SEC are pushing to still play in the fall. Big 12 is a toss up...?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
PAC-12 has joined them now.

Looks like the ACC and SEC are pushing to still play in the fall. Big 12 is a toss up...?
BigXII is in. That’s...awkward, if they go along like this. ESPN/ABC will lose about a billion dollars from the other 2 conferences. The top players from those conferences might be able to transfer late, or just sit out a potential spring season to prep for the NFL.

Also the playoffs are not like March Madness which the NCAA owns, so if you have 3 in then those conferences can produce a champion regardless of what anyone says.

Carolina Red

Staff
BigXII is in. That’s...awkward, if they go along like this. ESPN/ABC will lose about a billion dollars from the other 2 conferences. The top players from those conferences might be able to transfer late, or just sit out a potential spring season to prep for the NFL.

Also the playoffs are not like March Madness which the NCAA owns, so if you have 3 in then those conferences can produce a champion regardless of what anyone says.
We could be seeing a fall Natty at the Orange Bowl and a spring Natty at the Rose Bowl.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
In non-COVID news, handbags between Harbaugh and Ryan Day on a conference call, with the subsequent quote by Day:

During an Ohio State team meeting later Monday, according to Bucknuts, Day purportedly told his players that the Wolverines better hope for a mercy rule this season because his team was "going to hang 100 on them."
:lol:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
AP Preseason Poll:
  1. Clemson
  2. tOSU
  3. Bama
  4. Geirgua (I don’t know why but I am just leaving like it that)
  5. OU (?)
  6. LSU
tOSU has to feel terrible at missing Fall ball; I’d have them joint favorites. Surprised to see OU ahead of LSU...we are a year away from really contending.

1. Clemson (38)
2. Ohio State (21)
3. Alabama (2)
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma (2)
6. LSU (1)
7. Penn State
8. Florida
9. Oregon
10. Notre Dame
11. Auburn
12. Wisconsin
13. Texas A&M
14. Texas
15. Oklahoma State
16. Michigan
17. USC
18. North Carolina
19. Minnesota
20. Cincinnati
21. UCF
22. Utah
23. Iowa State
24. Iowa
25. Tennessee

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So the entire OU - DL has COVID ?
Enough that we couldn’t put together a full practice. But it wasn’t just quarantine for having it, it was also direct contact.

That‘s what might doom the CFB season, whole position groups that live and workout together sent into quarantine protocol and not being able to field something resembling a full team. We are trying to do our own version of the bubble with no students in classes and the team living on-campus separately.

Carolina Red

Staff
Syracuse at UNC has been awful. I think I’ve seen better high school teams.

Here’s hoping Clemson and Wake is better* tonight.

*by better I mean I hope we hang 45 on Wake by halftime

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Big12: With only two other conferences, there’s no way we won’t make a name for ourselves and regain our pride.

Iowa St: Hold my beer.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Big 10 is back... And for what reason? No idea.
$$$ And now the PAC12 is trying to ramp up to start. They look a bit silly in all this, unless it is true that it is due to a breakthrough in rapid testing. But if they were actually that concerned with the effects of myocarditis on these athletes, nothing has changed on that front.

OU was missing 19 players off the 2-deep for the first game; this season will be interesting..