College Football 2021/22

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
What do you do if you’re ND? Cut off your nose to spite your face? Still potentially alive for a national championship.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What in the hell…

I just do not understand being Irish-American, the winningest ND coach ever, and basically a living legend in South Bend able to name your price and then going to LSU.

But if he does… I hope you enjoyed Fickell, Cincy.
Urban Liar may also be interested. He will probably get sacked at season's end.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I need some ocean front property in Arizona to sell to people betting on Lane Kiffin to OU. They must’ve missed the past several decades.

His OC would actually be more likely.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I need some ocean front property in Arizona to sell to people betting on Lane Kiffin to OU. They must’ve missed the past several decades.

His OC would actually be more likely.
Rattler, Haselwood, Wease, and Riley - all gone within 24 hours. Need a good recruiting class to reload this year.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Rattler, Haselwood, Wease, and Riley - all gone within 24 hours. Need a good recruiting class to reload this year.
Rattler was already gone (most likely to the PAC) for all intents and purposes, and we weren’t relying much on either of those WRs.

But we do need a ‘name’ or at least a personality in soon to salvage the next class, whether that’s Venny or some wildcard NFL option.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
What in the hell…

I just do not understand being Irish-American, the winningest ND coach ever, and basically a living legend in South Bend able to name your price and then going to LSU.

Dude has so much job security he got a kid killed and faced no punishment. Not that I think LSU would be too bothered by that, but if he puts out performances against the rest of the SEC like he has in the playoffs...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Donations to college athletics are no longer tax deductible, at least not if they give some benefit. Given how much money is clearly still being poured into it, maybe they should be taxed.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What in the hell…

What a weird hire. ND has been decent (¯\_(ツ)_/¯) as Kelly has feasted on shit SC teams. This will be a disastrous hire for LSU.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rattler was already gone (most likely to the PAC) for all intents and purposes, and we weren’t relying much on either of those WRs.

But we do need a ‘name’ or at least a personality in soon to salvage the next class, whether that’s Venny or some wildcard NFL option.
I'd imagine Rattler to ASU, Haselwood to UGA or Miami (where he was a lean before). Not sure about Wease, i heard he was injured all year.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I'd imagine Rattler to ASU, Haselwood to UGA or Miami (where he was a lean before). Not sure about Wease, i heard he was injured all year.
One of the LA schools, ASU, or Ole Miss were always the rumors for Rattler. I wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes a hot prospect again for NFL people who think they can fix him between the ears because his arm is just that good.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
the two biggest college football coaching moves ever in back to back days
No one has left OU for another college job within our lifetimes, unless you were born before 1947. And only one has left for an ‘upgrade’ to the NFL.

No offense if that does apply to anyone: cheers to you for keeping that heart pumping.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Wasn’t FSU still a premo job when Jimbo bailed?
not sure if you could call them a true blue blood. their success was down to one coach. is virginia tech a blue blood? florida state got over the hump tech never did but it was all with one coach. fsu had 1 10 win season in the 2000s. jimbo had 3 great seasons but then it started to fall apart. they gave up 63 to louisville. went 10-3, 10-3, 5-6 and he was gone. thats 7 10+ win seasons in 17 years, 4 of them exactly 10 wins.

blue bloods:

alabama
oklahoma
usc
ohio state
michigan
texas
notre dame

clemson and lsu are probably in there too after the last 20 years.

then youve got

florida
florida state
penn state
nebraska
miami
georgia
auburn
tennessee
texas a&m
washington

and a third tier of

wisconsin
arkansas
oregon
michigan state
virginia tech
iowa
colorado
pitt
byu
ucla

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
not sure if you could call them a true blue blood. their success was down to one coach. is virginia tech a blue blood? florida state got over the hump tech never did but it was all with one coach. fsu had 1 10 win season in the 2000s. jimbo had 3 great seasons but then it started to fall apart. they gave up 63 to louisville. went 10-3, 10-3, 5-6 and he was gone. thats 7 10+ win seasons in 17 years, 4 of them exactly 10 wins.

blue bloods:

alabama
oklahoma
usc
ohio state
michigan
texas
notre dame

then youve got

florida
florida state
penn state
nebraska
miami
georgia
auburn
tennessee
texas a&m
washington

and a third tier of

wisconsin
arkansas
oregon
michigan state
virginia tech
iowa
colorado
pitt
byu
ucla
I thought I maybe had you with FSU, but I’ll yield to your point.

We are in uncharted territory here, though. If OU doesn’t get this right, then we’re in limbo as no one is begging to move to the southern Great Plains.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
No one has left OU for another college job within our lifetimes, unless you were born before 1947. And only one has left for an ‘upgrade’ to the NFL.

No offense if that does apply to anyone: cheers to you for keeping that heart pumping.
Who was that? Because if it's Switzer that came five years after he resigned from OU.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I thought I maybe had you with FSU, but I’ll yield to your point.

We are in uncharted territory here, though. If OU doesn’t get this right, then we’re in limbo as no one is begging to move to the southern Great Plains.
You're in great talent country. That alone will always make Oklahoma attractive for coaches.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

blue bloods:

alabama
oklahoma
usc
ohio state
michigan
texas
notre dame

then youve got

florida
florida state
penn state
nebraska
miami
georgia
auburn
tennessee
texas a&m
washington

and a third tier of

wisconsin
arkansas
oregon
michigan state
virginia tech
iowa
colorado
pitt
byu
ucla
Fair assessment of FSU, but if you classify Clemson as a new blue blood with their recent success all with one coach, then Florida State was one at the time Jimbo left, but was definitely on the descent.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

blue bloods:

alabama
oklahoma
usc
ohio state
michigan
texas
notre dame

then youve got

florida
florida state
penn state
nebraska
miami
georgia
auburn
tennessee
texas a&m
washington

and a third tier of

wisconsin
arkansas
oregon
michigan state
virginia tech
iowa
colorado
pitt
byu
ucla
Whens the last time Michigan has won a national title? 1997?

There are several in your tier 2 including Tennessee who have won national titles since Michigan last won one.

Michigan are tier 2.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
What in the hell…

Has to be the money. With ND you have a controllable schedule, huge televised audience for every game and a much easier path to the playoffs. With LSU he is in the SEC West with Saban, also Texas an Oklahoma are about to rock up not to mention Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss and a resurgent Tennessee to deal with. Im also sure Florida will be better too. It has to be all about the money.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah I said the same about Kelly and Im sure a lot of Sooners thought the same with Riley. ,
Just can’t see him moving for any team other than potentially Alabama. As an opposing fan, I wouldn’t mind seeing him leave as he has built quite the program, but, as you allude, who knows?

I lived in Clemson during the end of the Tommy Bowden era & it is night & day there now. Dabo is a king to a higher extent than Kelly or Riley was at their respective locations due to the championships won.

But, he could be leaving tomorrow!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Has to be the money. With ND you have a controllable schedule, huge televised audience for every game and a much easier path to the playoffs. With LSU he is in the SEC West with Saban, also Texas an Oklahoma are about to rock up not to mention Georgia, Auburn, Ole Miss and a resurgent Tennessee to deal with. Im also sure Florida will be better too. It has to be all about the money.
The LSU job is one of the best in college football. Rich talent base in LA, no instate rival to compete with, and very good pay.

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red I didnt see Kelly to LSU coming. Isnt that a baffling move? Must have been all about the money.

You confident in Dabo staying after all this chaos?
I think Dabo's stock took a hit this year. Lots of kids transferring out, some controversy about playing a kid that almost killed a mail carrier while speeding, proof that his success at Clemson has mostly been down to him surrounding himself with very good coordinators. Only way he leaves is if he's sure he can do the same wherever he goes, and Bama isn't coming open at the moment, unless Saban decides to really shake things up and retire.
Michigan are tier 2.
They're still the winningest program in college football history with a massive fan base. They're definitely tier 1.
The only thing I can figure is that LSU parked a few Brinks trucks on his front lawn and he thinks LSU is his only shot to win a national title before he's done.

Notre Dame is currently in the middle of their best couple of recruiting classes since forever though, so it's still crazy to me that he's leaving... aside from the money angle.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Dabo's stock took a hit this year. Lots of kids transferring out, some controversy about playing a kid that almost killed a mail carrier while speeding, proof that his success at Clemson has mostly been down to him surrounding himself with very good coordinators. Only way he leaves is if he's sure he can do the same wherever he goes, and Bama isn't coming open at the moment, unless Saban decides to really shake things up and retire.

They're still the winningest program in college football history with a massive fan base. They're definitely tier 1.

The only thing I can figure is that LSU parked a few Brinks trucks on his front lawn and he thinks LSU is his only shot to win a national title before he's done.

Notre Dame is currently in the middle of their best couple of recruiting classes since forever though, so it's still crazy to me that he's leaving... aside from the money angle.
I think Dabo's challenge is to show he can rebuild after the Watson/Lawrence eras - this time without an elite QB and potentially without his lauded DC. As an aside, I'm also told Dan Radokovich has been linked with the Miami AD job (he's an alum), so lots of changes look to be in the works.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whens the last time Michigan has won a national title? 1997?

There are several in your tier 2 including Tennessee who have won national titles since Michigan last won one.

Michigan are tier 2.
I'd say they are closer to tier 1. There are programs that have been successful over lengthy stretches over time, but occasionally go into hybernation mode for a decade or so, only to reemerge successful again once they hire the right coach. With the exception of a short stretch in the late 80s/early 90s, Bama went through this same process from the time Bear Bryant retired in the early 80s until when Saban took over in the late 2000s. Michigan is a similar case.

Carolina Red

Staff
I think Dabo's challenge is to show he can rebuild after the Watson/Lawrence eras - this time without an elite QB and potentially without his lauded DC. As an aside, I'm also told Dan Radokovich has been linked with the Miami AD job (he's an alum), so lots of changes look to be in the works.
Well, to be fair, he thought he had another elite QB. I think DJ's performance this year is one of the most shocking storylines of the entire NCAA season. I don't even want to think about Venables leaving. It would hurt the program more than Dabo leaving.

As to Radokovich... he can kick rocks. Completely unrelated to football, but he made multiple promises to the wrestling coaches in South Carolina about bringing wrestling back to Clemson after the cut the program after the 1994-1995 season and at every single opportunity that he's had to bring wrestling back to Clemson and fulfill what he told us, he's failed to do so.