College Football 2021/22

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It’s official now that OU & UT are not staying in the BigXII. Now the SEC has to vote with 11 of 14 ‘yeas’ to formally invite them. That is a formality as the only hard ‘no’ is A&M, and even they might leave their public vote as a yes since any resistance is in vain.

This might be the biggest shakeup in the sport since the Big 8 and SWC merged to form what some thought would be a superpower of a conference. You could throw the dissolution of the Big East in that discussion, but that was a bigger bombshell for basketball in my opinion.
what do you think is going to happen to the rest of the old Big XII? Baylor and Ok St. to PAC? To the Big X?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I’ve heard the Big 10 is trying to recruit ND and USC

How is USC going to work being on the west coast?
The USC move is never going to happen. Leaving behind the fact that the administration has shown little to no care re: sports, they would also be leaving behind all of the rivalries they have in place and it would piss off the fanbase and alumni.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
what do you think is going to happen to the rest of the old Big XII? Baylor and Ok St. to PAC? To the Big X?
OSU and at least some of the Texas schools to the PAC12, assuming the conference wants to remain relevant in football. BYU and Boise St are lingering out there so some might get left in the cold. But they’ll surely need the DFW market with TCU and/or Baylor. KU & ISU will be scrambling to get into the BIG and praying it doesn’t make a serious run at ND.

KSU is boned; they’re getting relegated methinks.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
BYU is an interesting one. They would have a natural rivalry with Utah if they joined the PAC. I was really confused when they joined the WCC.

Carolina Red

Staff
As someone who knows nothing about college wrestling I am going to assume this is good?
They’re the 3 best programs in the sport.

Okie St: 34 team national titles and coached by the greatest international wrestler in US history

Iowa: 24 team national titles and reigning national champs

Penn St: 10 team national titles, 8 of them since 2011, and coached by the greatest collegiate wrestler in US history

All 3 in the same conference = :drool::drool::drool:

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It’s official now that OU & UT are not staying in the BigXII. Now the SEC has to vote with 11 of 14 ‘yeas’ to formally invite them. That is a formality as the only hard ‘no’ is A&M, and even they might leave their public vote as a yes since any resistance is in vain.

This might be the biggest shakeup in the sport since the Big 8 and SWC merged to form what some thought would be a superpower of a conference. You could throw the dissolution of the Big East in that discussion, but that was a bigger bombshell for basketball in my opinion.
A&M left the Big XII because of Texas. Tired of constantly being in the shadow of big brother, tired of Texas this and that, the TV deal, etc. A "no" vote would show them as the pricks they have always been. Feck 'em.

SEC was the first "power conference" shakeup when they grabbed Arkansas and South Carolina and created a 12-school conference. Texas and Texas A&M elected to remain in the SWC.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

More chatter about the SEC going after other big schools. Finebaum believes this move is about eliminating the NCAA and basically creating a separate D1 football league/system. This is probably where D1A should forecast itself - a premier league system of 30-40 top schools and the rest in a lesser league competing internally, thus two champions each year.

Is it possible in say ten years we end up with something like the SEC having 24 schools in four divisions competing in a closed circuit?
Perhaps the SEC with 16/20/24 schools and another super conference merger with what's left of the ACC, Big Ten (plus four), and PAC-12?

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/ohio-state-florida-state-clemson-michigan-sec-
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...ohio-state-michigan-clemson-and-florida-state

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A&M left the Big XII because of Texas. Tired of constantly being in the shadow of big brother, tired of Texas this and that, the TV deal, etc. A "no" vote would show them as the pricks they have always been. Feck 'em.

SEC was the first "power conference" shakeup when they grabbed Arkansas and South Carolina and created a 12-school conference. Texas and Texas A&M elected to remain in the SWC.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2011/1990-sec-expansion-southeastern-conference/

More chatter about the SEC going after other big schools. Finebaum believes this move is about eliminating the NCAA and basically creating a separate D1 football league/system. This is probably where D1A should forecast itself - a premier league system of 30-40 top schools and the rest in a lesser league competing internally, thus two champions each year.

Is it possible in say ten years we end up with something like the SEC having 24 schools in four divisions competing in a closed circuit?
Perhaps the SEC with 16/20/24 schools and another super conference merger with what's left of the ACC, Big Ten (plus four), and PAC-12?

https://www.si.com/college/georgia/news/ohio-state-florida-state-clemson-michigan-sec-
https://www.elevenwarriors.com/foru...ohio-state-michigan-clemson-and-florida-state
I really don’t have a clue of where we’re headed. I’ve heard of that 32-40 team NFL-type setup instead of the 4x16 style that I mentioned earlier. Oddly enough, I think the smaller version would be more complicated because you’re leaving many more teams out of the pie.

After dwelling on it, I think it makes more sense for OU from a competitive aspect than it appears at first even though we can’t coast to a playoff spot via a conference championship. Where we get killed in recruiting is the South, because kids are the same as grown athletes: they want to play against the best, earn the most glory, and make the most money. Now we’ll be on their TVs regularly on the same ‘playing field’ as Bama et al, and SEC recruiters can’t use that against us.

Also I think the chaos that will ensue won’t calm down anytime soon, and until then the SEC is basically division II of the NFL.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I hate expansion. This whole thing sucks. Need to go back to 10 or at most 12 team conferences where you play every team at least 3 times in 4 years.

The idea of playing Pitt, Rutgers and Maryland every year and seeing Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota 3 times a decade is a disgrace.
Never took you for a traditionalist :)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
“nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’(A)because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”

(In case you were wondering)
Thanks for clearing that up

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
And it’s getting messy now…the BigXII sent a ‘cease & desist’ letter to ESPN and accused them of conspiring with the AAC and SEC in order for the former to steal 3-5 of the remaining members after OU/TX leave. This would mean that ESPN orchestrated affairs in a manner that would implode the conference and thus reduce the cost of the big boys moving to the SEC whilst rewarding the AAC with an improved TV contract afterwards. Fun times…

CBS Sports

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
And it’s getting messy now…the BigXII sent a ‘cease & desist’ letter to ESPN and accused them of conspiring with the AAC and SEC in order for the former to steal 3-5 of the remaining members after OU/TX leave. This would mean that ESPN orchestrated affairs in a manner that would implode the conference and thus reduce the cost of the big boys moving to the SEC whilst rewarding the AAC with an improved TV contract afterwards. Fun times…

CBS Sports

Carolina Red

Staff

CBS Sports
My mind went more toward Pink Floyd…

Money
It's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A&M are apparently being portrayed as losers in all of this…
They aren’t happy. This was either leaked to the press by A&M in order to try and derail it, or leaked by UT at the same time as an A&M media conference in order to embarrass them.

I don’t know which is more petty and/or hilarious.

edcunited1878

This all reeks of ESPN and their stranglehold of the SEC media rights and the bowl games they own for media rights purposes. Being in bed with huge universities and athletic departments, they rule the roost because they are the money makers.

It's all out of control now. With NIL, most top prospects will want to only go to major programs for their shot at money. So what better way to funnel these players to a select group of schools in an inclusive super conference?

With that, each network can own a major conference or two...with at least six major conferences, you'd have a natural playoff system with the winner from each confernece and then the top 6 based on merit,, aka from the SEC or big time schools.

Fox Sports and CBS will have their say as well, but the SEC has the traditional linear TV audience. Big up the two weekend headline games and everything else is on ESPN+ or streaming platform.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
My mind went more toward Pink Floyd…

Money
It's a gas
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
New car, caviar, four star daydream
Think I'll buy me a football team
my teenage years were the 90’s, my mind always goes to 90’s rap. Or bad puns. But mostly to 90’s rap.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
With that, each network can own a major conference or two...with at least six major conferences, you'd have a natural playoff system with the winner from each confernece and then the top 6 based on merit,, aka from the SEC or big time schools.
There’s really only 4 major conferences now, and that number could shrink further. In a 12-team playoff you’re looking at like half of them being SEC schools. There won’t be six different conferences getting automatic bids in the end; it is going to be damn near a monopoly.

Carolina Red

Staff
There’s really only 4 major conferences now, and that number could shrink further. In a 12-team playoff you’re looking at like half of them being SEC schools. There won’t be six different conferences getting automatic bids in the end; it is going to be damn near a monopoly.
Yep. I hate it.

College football really did peak in the BCS era.

edcunited1878

There is the Power 5, but Big 12 is disintegrating in real time, but I'm just throwing out the fact that being inclusive to four conferences with about 40 teams is a closed single entity type of structure almost like MLS, but ESPN in total control. Split into geographic regions (West, South, North, East).

If it's split into 4 regions, nice for TV, then top 2 make a playoff, with the best remaining 4 teams from any region plays a play in game. At minimum, that's 12 teams, 6 games (New Years Day Six). However the matchups are done, it can work...they'll make it work.

It's going the wrong way for the sake of more and more money. Business wise I'm interested, but the sporting aspect has been a turnoff for too long. Plus ESPN are arses.