College Football 2021/22

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
the one thing I can't wrap my head around is this. If a superconference forms I can see those greedy bastards forming their own football league outside of the NCAA so they can keep all the revenue. If this happens how can the NCAA allow those schools to stay in the NCAA? If they kick the schools out of football don't all sports have to go as well? Is this the death of all non-revenue sports? This could potentially be the end of college athletics as we know it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
the one thing I can't wrap my head around is this. If a superconference forms I can see those greedy bastards forming their own football league outside of the NCAA so they can keep all the revenue. If this happens how can the NCAA allow those schools to stay in the NCAA? If they kick the schools out of football don't all sports have to go as well? Is this the death of all non-revenue sports? This could potentially be the end of college athletics as we know it.
Football has already broken away from the NCAA for all intents and purposes, but that doesn’t apply to other sports. They may not even all switch conferences, and Title IX alone will keep those sports going.

Carolina Red

Staff
Football has already broken away from the NCAA for all intents and purposes, but that doesn’t apply to other sports. They may not even all switch conferences, and Title IX alone will keep those sports going.
I’m really interested to see how this plays out with OU Wrestling. Mizzou has kinda paced the way for this with having wrestling go to the MAC and then back to the Big 12 (but if the Big 12 goes away completely then I dunno)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
It's what Finebaum thinks is the primary goal. A 20- or 24-team closed circuit league which will crumble the NCAA.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A little late, but GGs Bobby. Would you say he’s like the Jimmy Johnson of college ball (I mean JJ in terms of the NFL specifically)? Not renowned for some technical X/Os breakthrough necessarily, but still changed the game.

I checked in on this thread because some foul person tweeted this, and I was wondering if anyone recognized this tragedy that would make qualms about VAR look ordinary…
the refs are looking for the ball that the OU player has. It was awarded to Oregon and they won the game.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
A little late, but GGs Bobby. Would you say he’s like the Jimmy Johnson of college ball (I mean JJ in terms of the NFL specifically)? Not renowned for some technical X/Os breakthrough necessarily, but still changed the game.

I checked in on this thread because some foul person tweeted this, and I was wondering if anyone recognized this tragedy that made qualms about VAR to look ordinary…
the refs are looking for the ball that the OU player has. It was awarded to Oregon and they won the game.

I remember that game!

Carolina Red

Staff
He was an amazing recruiter and one of the best motivators and relationship builders with his players to ever coach the game. I mean, he would roll up into rough projects and talk to people one on one and make them proud that a kid from there was being recruited by FSU. He also famously held Derrick Brooks’ baby sister in his lap till she fell asleep and stayed longer so he wouldn’t wake her while on a recruiting trip. The guy knew people and knew how to connect with them on a personal level beyond football.

As an aside, early in his career, he was the head coach at West Virginia, when this happened…

“During Bowden's first year as head coach at WVU, the football team of the state's other top-division school, Marshall University, were killed in a plane crash. He asked NCAA permission to wear Marshall jerseys and play Marshall's final game of the 1970 season against Ohio, but was denied. In memory of the victims of the crash, Mountaineers players put green crosses and the initials "MU" on their helmets. Bowden allowed Marshall's new head coach Jack Lengyel and his assistants access to game film and playbooks to acquaint themselves with the veer offense, a variation of the option offense which aids teams with weak offensive lines. Lengyel credits Bowden with helping the young Thundering Herd recover. Bowden reportedly became emotional while viewing the movie We Are Marshall, and has said that he was the original candidate for the Marshall head coaching job filled by crash victim Rick Tolley.[16]

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
He was an amazing recruiter and one of the best motivators and relationship builders with his players to ever coach the game.

As an aside, early in his career, he was the head coach at West Virginia, when this happened…

“During Bowden's first year as head coach at WVU, the football team of the state's other top-division school, Marshall University, were killed in a plane crash. He asked NCAA permission to wear Marshall jerseys and play Marshall's final game of the 1970 season against Ohio, but was denied. In memory of the victims of the crash, Mountaineers players put green crosses and the initials "MU" on their helmets. Bowden allowed Marshall's new head coach Jack Lengyel and his assistants access to game film and playbooks to acquaint themselves with the veer offense, a variation of the option offense which aids teams with weak offensive lines. Lengyel credits Bowden with helping the young Thundering Herd recover. Bowden reportedly became emotional while viewing the movie We Are Marshall, and has said that he was the original candidate for the Marshall head coaching job filled by crash victim Rick Tolley.[16]
He was a legend in Birmingham. Was born there, played at Samford, and then coached there before heading off to bigger things.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fun to ponder amidst the conference joining nonsense

I'd throw a few non-champion teams in here too like Reggie Bush's USC...
Both Ohio St. and Miami 2003 should be on the list. If its Champs only, then OSU's 2003 team were very good.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
OU is down to two scholarship RBs after a long list of events, including shenanigans from LSU.

Fade us in your NC odds, but put more money on Rattler for the Heisman.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Both Ohio St. and Miami 2003 should be on the list. If its Champs only, then OSU's 2003 team were very good.
This list is a joke without the 2010 Auburn team. Newton was a force of nature, even more so (in my opinion) than Vince Young in 05. I saw him (Cam) in person that year and he was just so so so good. There were not a huge number of stars on that team, but they still went undefeated and beat a Bama team loaded with future NFL stars (Ingram, Jones, Kilpatrick, etc.).

MrMarcello

This list is a joke without the 2010 Auburn team. Newton was a force of nature, even more so (in my opinion) than Vince Young in 05. I saw him (Cam) in person that year and he was just so so so good. There were not a huge number of stars on that team, but they still went undefeated and beat a Bama team loaded with future NFL stars (Ingram, Jones, Kilpatrick, etc.).
Cam was probably better over the course of the season in comparison to Vince but the latter had an all-time epic championship game performance against one of the greatest sides in college history.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Cam was probably better over the course of the season in comparison to Vince but the latter had an all-time epic championship game performance against one of the greatest sides in college history.
There is absolutely no way Texas should have won that game, but they pulled it off and Young was amazing. That stupid Bush lateral and Carrol going for it on 4th down (both times!!) will go up there with the all time USC blunders in my mind.

MrMarcello

There is absolutely no way Texas should have won that game, but they pulled it off and Young was amazing. That stupid Bush lateral and Carrol going for it on 4th down (both times!!) will go up there with the all time USC blunders in my mind.
Maybe but perhaps you're not considering just how great that Texas team was. USC botched a few series and you cannot do that against another great side.

I do think that with a more maverick style coach between 98 and 14 the Texas program would have been what Alabama is now, and perhaps a great handoff presuming said maverick coach stepped down at some point. Brown was far too conservative and old school in his thinking and planning. Lost some great recruits at the QB position due to his philosophy, supposedly. Imagine someone like Spurrier running the ship in Austin for 10-15 years. He'd have built a dynasty. Even a guy like Peterson would have done better IMO and no doubt Patterson as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Maybe but perhaps you're not considering just how great that Texas team was. USC botched a few series and you cannot do that against another great side.

I do think that with a more maverick style coach between 98 and 14 the Texas program would have been what Alabama is now, and perhaps a great handoff presuming said maverick coach stepped down at some point. Brown was far too conservative and old school in his thinking and planning. Lost some great recruits at the QB position due to his philosophy, supposedly. Imagine someone like Spurrier running the ship in Austin for 10-15 years. He'd have built a dynasty. Even a guy like Peterson would have done better IMO and no doubt Patterson as well.
I am not downgrading how good that Texas team was, just putting in words how good that USC team was. The only game that was close that year was at Notre Dame (Bush Push game). Young put up the best big game performance I can remember seeing.

MrMarcello

I am not downgrading how good that Texas team was, just putting in words how good that USC team was. The only game that was close that year was at Notre Dame (Bush Push game). Young put up the best big game performance I can remember seeing.
Texas had one close game at Ohio State, A&M sort of hung with them, and had a tale of two halves at Ok State.

USC also needed late rallies to go past Arizona State and Fresno State.

Edit: Looking at the 2005 season, I had forgot how Penn State was 0:01 from being unbeaten and had a better SOS than both Texas and USC. Not sure how the BCS numbers would have played out had PSU held on against Michigan. Texas didn't get a bump when thrashing Colorado in the Big XII title game a second time that season; the weak North division brought down the SOS for everyone. IMO Penn State would not have won against Texas or USC but anything is possible. And I would have enjoyed seeing Paterno cry again over being left out.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Texas had one close game at Ohio State, A&M sort of hung with them, and had a tale of two halves at Ok State.

USC also needed late rallies to go past Arizona State and Fresno State.
Both those team were ranked in the teens (I did have to look that up, could not remember where they were ranked. Mind is getting old :( ). For whatever reason that USC team struggled in the first half but would come out roaring in the second so I don't remember being worried in either game. I think it was the youth on defense. Both those teams (ASU and FS) were insane offensively and it took a while for the defense to cope. That caught up to us in the Rose Bowl and Young destroyed the linebackers (Sartz was a vet but not physically elite and Maualuga/Cushing were Fr's and Rivers a Soph).

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

It shows what difference leadership can do for an organization. Texas should’ve run away with the BigXII and had the number of conference championships OU does now. But we brought in Mike Leach with some bold new ideas on offense along with Bobby Stoops, who wasn’t afraid of taking risks himself. And UT had shit luck with QB recruits; see the now popular pundit Chris Simms.

Mack was a terrific recruiter and seemed like a good guy but definitely was not a maverick, which hurt in an era where the game was changing rapidly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It shows what difference leadership can do for an organization. Texas should’ve run away with the BigXII and had the number of conference championships OU does now. But we brought in Mike Leach with some bold new ideas on offense along with Bobby Stoops, who wasn’t afraid of taking risks himself. And UT had shit luck with QB recruits; see the now popular pundit Chris Simms.

Mack was a terrific recruiter and seemed like a good guy but definitely was not a maverick, which hurt in an era where the game was changing rapidly.
never understood how Texas didn’t become Alabama, but I guess what you are saying makes sense. In a way you could say SC is the UT of the Pac12. There is absolutely no reason, besides horrific coaching choices, SC should not be dominating the conference.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
We’re painting Tulane‘s mascot on the field after a last minute change of venue due to the hurricane.

Oh, and it looks like the PAC/B1G/ACC wasn’t all that interested in the rest of the BigXII or BYU. The BigXII is adding adding UCF, Cincy, Houston, and BYU next week supposedly.

MrMarcello

We’re painting Tulane‘s mascot on the field after a last minute change of venue due to the hurricane.

Oh, and it looks like the PAC/B1G/ACC wasn’t all that interested in the rest of the BigXII or BYU. The BigXII is adding adding UCF, Cincy, Houston, and BYU next week supposedly.
The Big XII has basically morphed into a CUSA offshoot.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Today's good games

Penn State at Wisconsin
The U at Alabama
Georgia at Clemson

Wouldn't be mad with 3 upsets today :D
1. Wisconsin so my neighbors don't light things on fire
2. feck Bama
3. COVID Bowl, presented by Ivermectin