Status
Not open for further replies.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
It is currently Colorado 3 - 2 USC

@WI_Red
Can’t wait till we Join the Big 10 (12? 14? π? ) and don’t have to play this Mickey Mouse schedule. Embarrassing that the biggest team in the conference plays on Friday at 9:30ET. Like a fecking west coast high school team.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Wonder if Texas can end TCU's dream tonight?

The Horns could easily be 9-0 (or 3-6 in fairness). They held a double digit lead in two of their losses and had both QBs not been injured may have beaten Alabama. They could do it but TCU look really good offensively but give up a ton of points on defense.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Not sure I agree with keep going for it on 4th down instead of kicking field goals, but if you score a TD for each time you turn it over on downs then I suppose it's the way to go.

Charlie Foley

@Carolina Red you watching this Navy ND game? ND really struggling to put this game away.

I am quite relieved this game is in Baltimore and not Annapolis. We would probably have gone if it were here as we can walk to the stadium but planning on going out tonight and it would be absolutely mobbed. Hopefully everyone stays in the city tonight :lol:

Carolina Red

Staff
@Carolina Red you watching this Navy ND game? ND really struggling to put this game away.

I am quite relieved this game is in Baltimore and not Annapolis. We would probably have gone if it were here as we can walk to the stadium but planning on going out tonight and it would be absolutely mobbed. Hopefully everyone stays in the city tonight :lol:
I didn’t get to see it. Hell, I’m not getting to watch the Clemson game right now either. The wife has had me out and about all day.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Good win for TCU. Definitely cemented their place in the top 4.

If things play out as expected I'd expect the top 4 to be Georgia, Ohio State/Michigan winner, TCU and Tennessee.

If I was the committee, I'd put the Ohio State/Michigan winner as number 1 to avoid a Georgia/Tennessee rematch. If they are destined to play each other again it should only be because they have proved they are the two best teams by beating their respective competition.

Ohio State/Michigan vs Tennessee
Georgia vs TCU

Last edited:

MrMarcello

Ewers, Robinson, everyone on the Texas offense were garbage last night, only the defense showed up. Ewers looked shell-shocked in the pocket, airing and short-arming throws all night.

MrMarcello

Clemson and UNC must be kicking themselves for their losses to a bang average Notre Dame squad. Clemson was blown out but UNC lost narrowly. Both could be looking at 12-0 heading into a conference title game with the winner easily in the playoff and the loser with a realistic claim.

USC as well, with that one-point loss to Utah. Oregon's loss opens the door for USC to run the table and the conference. If Utah win out that boosts USC's hopes perhaps.

Georgia likely walks it unbeaten, can't see LSU beating them in the conference title game - assuming LSU don't lay an egg at A&M and somehow send Alabama in to feck everything up (don't know tie-breaker rule in the SEC divisional play). So that's Georgia most likely in unbeaten.

If TCU win out that's them in. The winner of Michigan/Ohio State is obviously in - highly doubtful the winner loses in the conference title game. That leaves one spot.

Do we accept a team that did not win their division let alone their conference based on a lone loss to the team above them? That's Michigan/Ohio State loser and Tennessee.
Or do we look at the one-loss teams that did win their conference, ala Clemson/UNC winner or USC, all with a bigger blemish on the record but more wins?

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Clemson and UNC must be kicking themselves for their losses to a bang average Notre Dame squad. Clemson was blown out but UNC lost narrowly. Both could be looking at 12-0 heading into a conference title game with the winner easily in the playoff and the loser with a realistic claim.

USC as well, with that one-point loss to Utah. Oregon's loss opens the door for USC to run the table and the conference. If Utah win out that boosts USC's hopes perhaps.

Georgia likely walks it unbeaten, can't see LSU beating them in the conference title game - assuming LSU don't lay an egg at A&M and somehow send Alabama in to feck everything up (don't know tie-breaker rule in the SEC divisional play). So that's Georgia most likely in unbeaten.

If TCU win out that's them in. The winner of Michigan/Ohio State is obviously in - highly doubtful the winner loses in the conference title game. That leaves one spot.

Do we accept a team that did not win their division let alone their conference based on a lone loss to the team above them? That's Ohio State and Tennessee.
Or do we look at the one-loss teams that did win their conference, ala Clemson/UNC winner or USC, all with a bigger blemish on the record but more wins?
You forgot to add UAT in as a guaranteed slot. :angel:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State

Do we accept a team that did not win their division let alone their conference based on a lone loss to the team above them? That's Michigan/Ohio State loser and Tennessee.
I might be a little biased (I'm trying not to be) but I think choosing teams for the playoffs based on whether they won their conference title is really not the way to find the 4 best teams ( if that's what the CFP committee is really trying to do).

To me it's a bit like saying the 4 teams that qualify for the Champions League each year should be the Premiership winner, the winner of the Championship, and then the winners of League 1 and League 2, which is a bit silly.

MrMarcello

I might be a little biased (I'm trying not to be) but I think choosing teams for the playoffs based on whether they won their conference or not is really not the way to find the 4 best teams ( if that's what CFP committee is really trying to do).

To me it's like saying the teams that qualify for the Champions League each year should be the Premiership winner, the winner of the Championship, and then the winners of League 1 and League 2, which is a bit silly.
I see your point but on your second sentence that would be taking each D1-A, D1-AA, D2, and D3 top ranked side into a four-team playoff.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I might be a little biased (I'm trying not to be) but I think choosing teams for the playoffs based on whether they won their conference or not is really not the way to find the 4 best teams ( if that's what CFP committee is really trying to do).

To me it's like saying the teams that qualify for the Champions League each year should be the Premiership winner, the winner of the Championship, and then the winners of League 1 and League 2, which is a bit silly.
Except that those leagues are different tiers of a football pyramid, like Div 2, 3 NAIA, etc. In my mind a non division winner does not belong in the playoff. If UGA defeats UT in the SEC final then that was their play in game. Sucks, but them’s the breaks.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I see your point but on your second sentence that would be taking each D1-A, D1-AA, D2, and D3 top ranked side into a four-team playoff.
I suppose it depends how you look at it. There are 92 teams in England, but even though there are 4 divisions they are all considered professional soccer players within the scope of the football league, which is in its entirety pretty much a closed shop. Similarly each level of college football like the football league is also a closed shop with some leagues/conferences better than others. Thus the different leagues in England are not dissimilar to the different college football conferences in the US. In addition, you get upsets in the FA Cup/League Cup all the time where a lower league team beats a higher rated team in the same way as non Power 5 teams beating the bigger schools.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:

MrMarcello

Michigan and TCU pulled it off in-spite of themselves.

Georgia in a defensive dogfight at Kentucky.

Maryland leading Ohio State late in the second quarter.

Clemson manhandling the U.

Texas is steamrolling Kansas.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Can’t believe these announcers didn’t know what two FBS teams have played each other consecutively up until now more than OU-Okie St. That’s like random college football trivia 101.

Carolina Red

Staff
I really hope yesterday was that one weekend that USuCk has in a typical season where they knock off a top 10 SEC team that leads their fans to believe they’re on the cusp of something good… only to have it dashed to bits by us at the end of the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.